Masters Running

Wednesday, (June opps) July 2nd Daily (Read 564 times)

Good morning. How is your year going in regards to your running goals? The reason I asked that question is because today starts the second half of the year. Is your goal too high? too low? or just right? This is an excellent time to make the adjustment and then adapt accordingly. A caution needs to be given that if you have a goal that you were striving for and are a head of schedule with it, don't automatically jump to the next one without considering whether it is safe to do so. Sometimes we can easily get SO goal oriented and driven in our desire to progress and improve that we simply run ourselves into an injury. So be smart about your re-evaluation of your goals. Personally I am right on track with my miles, but ahead of the number of runs that I wanted to do for the year. I feel safe in what I am doing and will stay within the present goals and maybe make a slight upgrade in the last quarter of the year if things are still going well at that time. My mileage increase goal is a 20% increase over last year and I don't want to push it any higher. This is the hump day of the week and I trust you are going to have a wonderful day. I have some exciting things planned for the day. I hope your day has some good things in store for you too. Enjoy your day. Share it with us. Joey
    Vista
      Whispering.......Vista, it's July......shhhhhh, June was a good month, but just sayin' Tiptoeing out to go running now. CNYrunner

King of PhotoShop

Off to work in a few minutes here in the Garden State. NJ gets a bad rap because many people fly in and out of Newark and never get to see the beauty of the rest of the state. i am not running here just to be cautious. Should be an easy day; a morning program for some business bankers, then an afternoon flight home. Hey, what's with this baseball scenario? The Rays are taking it to Aamos' Red Sox and my TX Rangers may sweep the Yankees tonight. Spareribs
        Dave59

4.2 easy miles this morning. Lots of women out running this morning in the neighborhood but no men. Did I miss the memo or something? Last PT session today. It should just be getting set on a program to follow at home (like that is going to happen...) And a massage later today. The first one helped my back more than a month of PT so I am looking forward to the one today.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! No running for me today – light x-training instead: lateral raises, dumbbell curls, push-ups, front raises, bent rows, triceps extensions, various crunches. Erika – here's my cake solution - I cut a piece, then cut the icing off, along with some of the cake, then eat the cake that's left - prolly about 100 calories. Then I quick run and throw the plate away.... Big grin All these non-running days, just when we have a big party overeat planned. I better cut back on the food and stick to beer – lite beer, of course… Big grin My boss is gone tomorrow, and then I have Friday off – woo hoo! Somehow I feel productivity declining. Maybe I can actually catch up with some of those race reports….

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

June was a good month, but waaay to short.... so lets do it again, right Joey Smile Hope you have a nice run Karin. Date night went well last night as I was nervous meeting someone I haven't seen for 30 some years, but she was outgoing which made conversation easy. She seems to be having some problems getting over a relationship she just got out of not to long ago, so I recommended she works through that before we see each other as more than just friends. No, she is not a runner and she didn't understand why someone would be....and the only running she said she did was "running up her credit cards" Roll eyes And, I never saw a woman who ate so fast and never gave it a second thought. We got a whole slab of ribs to eat with two sides and rolls each....she actually was done eating in LESS than 5 minutes, and I was still eating over 30 minutes later...seems strange for a lady Shocked We had a nice time, but I don't see anything materializing between us right now what so ever....she said she also had 10 cats Confused She also said that she is a real clingy woman, and once she falls for someone, she holds on forever even if things go bad....hence, what she is going through with the guy that's trying to rid himself of her now....I don't need or want that!!! 4 sweet recovery miles last night before my date...helped to calm the nerves down before going. I have new running shoes I will get tomorrow...it hard to believe how quickly a person goes through shoes running 50 mpw or so. I normally get about 450 to 500 miles on mine, but I could tell it time for a new set of rubber. Well, need to start working on mounds of paper work. Have a nice day all Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Renee the dog

Tim, RUN AWAY! Big grin Man, that description scared the pants off of me, and I'm not even wearing pants right now. Was away for 5 days in FL on the coast near Tampa, and did get 2 days of running in -- having a devil of a time getting my schedule down between my move and my Mom's needs. She's stabiized, but in a zone where she doesn't "need" services but clearly needs something! So, my sister and I search. I will be heading out for a 3 miler with Renee before dinner tonight at my favorite restaurant on the island - it's pasta night, so no way I'm not running and showering up before going! Well, I'm off to hang some things on the walls and move some furniture around! Good runs to all!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hill Runner

Good morning all, June was a good month...let's do it again... Smile A cool 61F & sunny today. 7.11 miles of hills @ 9:17 pace. I harvested some fresh tomatoes & basil yesterday from the garden and used it in a salad last night. There's nothing like fresh tomatoes and basil in a salad. My basil is growing like crazy...I'm going to make some pesto with it later this week. Good running to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

June is my Birthday month. I don't want to do that month again. July will be just fine, thank you. I went out for 10.1 comfortable miles this morning. The paces were quite consistent - a low of 9:04 and a high of 9:13 - everything right between there the whole time. Normally I might have run some Repeats today but didn't feel like pushing anything coming so soon after donating blood. Enjoy the June ... errr July day! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tim - RED FLAGS, RED FLAGS!!!!! As Nonoruns said, run, and run like hell! You need someone who has more in common with you (like running Big grin) and someone less clingy. The right woman is out there, you just haven't met her yet! 4.5 miles on the eliptical trainer this morning in 30 minutes followed by some free weights and ab work. Trying to take it easy on my sore hip... Holly, the frosting is the best part! I usually eat that first. How's everything going? Does doing weights bother anything? Vista, I think I'm under on my mileage goals. I don't like running when it gets real warm which throws me behind during the summer months. I'm going to try to do better during July, and force myself outside on warm days. I have to remember those cold January months when I was freezing my --- off! Dave - enjoy your massage! And what's wrong with running with the ladies??? Spareribs, how have you been feeling? Take care, friend. Last day of work this week. Enjoy your Wednesday runs, everyone. Jeanne
                        ...ribbs//......hope you're doing ok........did they say what your electrolytes were?? just a thought =========== ....hiking day....... .................good running guys.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

DickyG

A few scribbles before we head down to Atlanta for the Peachtree..I wanted to fly the Piper Cherokee...Queen Pam wanted to drive...we're driving. Joey: Another great opening post...my goals for the rest of the year? Hmmm...no more injuries...500 miles for final 6 months....not get hit by a train...stay away from Tim's date. AND...btw...so THAT' why we lost the basketball game some years ago... Ribs: Your risk ratio is unreal...you should live til you're about 200. According to my ratio, I've been dead for 12 years now. And I'm a big Yankees fan...and they suck. Tall: Outstanding 5K with a rushed start...I see you were only 18 seconds off your best for 2008...congrats, my man. Bruce: How far is your 7/4 race...where is it? Beers: Sounds like a fabulous vacation...so far. Where are you guys skiing next winter? We're going to Oregon in Feb. Henry: Great run...and great pic! Holly: Have you tried Colgate's chocolate cake toothpaste yet? Mainerunnah: 8:12 for 8 miles in high H&H...sounds pretty strong to me. Tim: Your date didn't sound all that bad...we've all had worse...a lot worse. Last night we were getting packed and I ran across my 1982 Jim Fixx running log!...see pic. Believe it or not, I used to be good! 38 minute Peachtree...2 sub-66 minute 10-milers (Lynchburg & Cherry Blossom)...3:04 Marine Corps Marathon...lots of 35-36 minute 5-mile workouts... Hard to understand how I've gotten so bad... DickyG
                            Morning, all! Gotta be at a meeting in 2 minutes, so just a quick check in - hope to find time to get back later. 7.6 miles @ 9:40 this morning on the track. It was foggy and maybe a bit cooler and less humid than yesterday. I eased into a 9:30 pace, and it felt so much better today. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tramps

Good morning. We've had a break from the humidity for a couple of days now and I've been lovin' it while it lasts. Today was an "easy" run day but I unexpectedly turned out a sproinky 5.3 @ 8:25 while still keeping HR comfortable at 134 (68% HRR). Nice when that happens spontaneously. Good news for all you caffeine junkies...which you should take with a grain of salt, of course: "Glycogen, the muscle's primary fuel source during exercise, is replenished more rapidly when athletes ingest both carbohydrate and caffeine following exhaustive exercise, new research shows. Athletes who ingested caffeine with carbohydrate had 66% more glycogen in their muscles four hours after finishing intense, glycogen-depleting exercise, compared to when they consumed carbohydrate alone, according to the study." http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080701083456.htm

Be safe. Be kind.

Double run day for me today…11 miles at 6:50 AM in the hazy morning fog with 5 at 7:25ish pace after a 3 mile warm-up (3 miles cd too). I had to remove boulders from my eyes, but once I got cranking it felt great. This morning’s segment took 1:33:20 (5 in 37:18) Ribs---is in New Jersey! I was there last night eating wilted lettuce in Terminal C and waiting for my plane back to Bradley airport (Hartford/Springfield). Yesterday was my last airplane day until July 21. New Jersey IS a beautiful state----I drove all over it yesterday for a series of appointments. Take care my friend and hope you have uneventful travel back home. To complete the double, I will run 5 miles really easy without a watch after 5 PM or so. Easy 8 tomorrow and 4 mile race on Friday. Vista, I hope you know I was just teasing earlier. I love it when you start us off. As for goals, I don’t have mileage goals. My consistent goal is to balance life and work so that there are no regrets. Some days it works and some days….well, not so much. I don’t know where Aamos and D are and I am wondering as well. Twocat and his wife were in Hawaii---he is posting on the 40/40 thread or at least he was doing so earlier this week. Tim…..RUN is right (Nonoruns…you made me laugh so hard! the turn of phrase about your pants...oh dear!) Maybe she was nervous, but I don’t know. Scared me too. DickyG---nice memories with that running log cover (his son is married to a classmate) and sweet race times. My all time marathon PR is the same as yours. It’s not that you’re bad, I just say that people don’t wait for me anymore, even when I say I am right behind them! Holly--enjoy the cake and don't fret Lots of desk work for the next two days and then I am jumping on that balance goal----vacation until July 20. No cell phone, laptop or briefcase! Karin P.S. Bill---did we ever wish you a Happy Birthday? I just caught that! HBD Thanks Tramps! I am mainlining the coffee now (okay, not really--everything in moderation, but it is good news)