Masters Running

Tuesday, 8.18.15 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' kids.

I'm glad you got 'good news' at the doc, TwoCat, and that you can still elliptical while you recover.

I'm glad Eric fared reasonably well yesterday, Mike. Sounds to me like you need to back off from running for a little while longer.

Sorry about all the fires and smoke, Mariposai. I hope you get back to clean air soon.

Our niece and her girlfriend spent most of their day 'bronzing' on the beach yesterday, and we took them out for lobster dinners last night. They may spend some more time at the beach today, and then head back home this afternoon. But first, we're all going to our favorite dive for breakfast!

7 RW miles in 69F muggy weather this morning. It was a challenge (mostly because of the muggy), but I got it done.

Keep smiling and have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Tuesday, all.

Muggy, it was.  3.9 miles for me.  It didn't cool off much during the night--still 71° at 6am, so was quite drippy.  It won't be long before the reflective gear comes out--rather dim when the alarm went off.

Glad that things went well for ERik--hope the next set does, too.

Wishing you and all the west damp weather, Mari.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Well Hello All !

Yes, muggy. Cooler but still muggy. Another midwest summer. 7 slow miles.

Yesterday the crew showed up to remove an extremlely old and large tree from my front yard. A majestic tree. Over the last few years the aging parts of the tree have become too much and it was no longer safe to park in the driveway. Last night when I got home the only thing left was a 12 foot high trunk.

I suspect the utility bill for cooling will increase. That old tree shaded the entire house.

From Google Street View

mrrun

slo - always hard to make that kind of decision.  we have an old one in front of our condo, but fortunately they were able to trim it

last night while walking we visualized last winter's snow and narrow path to walk on - made the swamp more bearable.  this morning crocodiles were mating in the reservoir while i ran?? around - or maybe hallucinations from the heat.  meeting a friend at noon in boston and i'm forsaking the bike for public transportation - just too hot!

hope the air clears and fires don't spread - they were on local tv last night

enjoy your tuesday,

marj

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Nice racing Jay.  How come no one takes you out for lobstah?

Stumps, you ran more than me today.  Just over 3 very silly looking miles as my quads are trashed. 

Safe trip, Dave.

---> tree

I'll bet Dr. Robin was recommending Aquaphor, no?   Which is good, but spendier than diaper cream in my neck of the woods.

yawns (still on Mountain Time),

A

ps: saw an albino squirrel (two times on runs along the bike path) in Rapid City AND a farmer driving a big John Deere tractor down St. Joseph St. (a major road) Saturday am at about 9:00.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

nevermind.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

welcome back amy

I trapped an albino vole once

Very rare for a squirrel to survive though,

. . . especially with peregrins in SD, I think

I bet you wanted to stay longer though.

I also bet three miles is the shortest yov've ever run.

ps marj - though I've never seen one, my running hallucinations during all day/night ultras have had armadillos in the way.  When they shocked me awake, they were geese on the bike path.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

. .

OT Bike report or, as one of the celebrants at my IM mentor’s birthday party

this weekend said, “running’s for people who don’t know how to cycle.”
                After letting a little 15 miles of cycling wipe me out on Sunday, the rest of the week was a planned taper for the coming weekend’s annual super-sprint triathlon (0.25/12.0/3.1 mi) <<<(wimp.wimp)>>>but I forgot bus pass on Monday and had to run back which I was able to do for 4.0 of the 4.5 mile route before petering out..  Cycled for another four miles to check out modifications adapted for barefoot pedaling after the 15-miler. Still wanting though so, after a short swim in the sunset to complete Sunday’s fizzled reverse wet brick, worked on ‘em some more.
                Unfortunately, still too much pedal pressure on my soles during this morning’s 4.5-mile test so back to the drawing board tonight to smooth out the new platform taped to the old cage-styloe pedals.  Should’ve left ‘em alone but more than ten years of annual use was wearing the originals thin.  Modifications to the pedal platform necessitated adjusting the saddle height too but, after several tries, it’s getting close to the necessary comfort level, especially when down on the aero-bars.  Fortunately, the clip-ons I got more than twenty years ago are still el perfecto. whew. Like getting beloved racing skis ready for a weekend race, triathlons require a lot of preparation and TLC for the bike, anti-fog for the swim goggles, etc.  but it's a labor of love for the challenge of three sports in one event. .  .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Amy--once a year or so sounds about right.

Tet--sorry you don't like your tri's more.  I almost expected a TW OHBOYOHBOYOHBOY at the end.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave, safe travels.  Jay, nice 5K.  Twocat, I'm glad the doctor's appointment gave you a plan.  I hope it works.  Mike, my thoughts are with you and Eric on the latest events.  Slo,  I recall our tree discussion in Charlevoix.  It's a beautiful tree, but trouble waiting to happen.  I think you made the right, although sad, decision.

Nice long runs for enke and evan.  Good job on the speedwork for Mike.

This morning, it was in the high 60s, there was a light breeze, and it was a bit humid.  I did 5 miles at an 11:46 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

evanflein

I'm still mourning the 5 beautiful birch trees we took out last year when we redid the garage. But, they were just too close to the house and needed to go. Slo, you almost wonder if you could've trimmed those big overhanging branches? Maybe not. Sad to lose trees. I hope you replant something there.

I'm still really surprised at Tet... sounds like training and planning going on there!

We still have fires in some parts of the state, but the recent damp weather has taken care of many of them or at least helped control them. A lot of our firefighters got sent to WA and CA. I'd like some more warm sunny days before fall, but I sure don't miss the smoke! Hope your air clears up soon, Mariposai.

Dave, you may not like it but those goodbyes are important. I don't think you'd like just leaving and not saying goodbye to all your friends and neighbors. Gotta have some closure, right?

Mike, you might try a heating pad on the sore parts. I bet it's hip flexor strain and when I get that, a heating pad and ibuprofen really help. Good luck with Eric...

Yesterday turned out to be a really nice day so after work I ran a little more than halfway home (6.2 miles) on an easy route to meet DH at Home Depot. We decided to skip looking for what it was he wanted and just went home because it was getting late. Made a meatloaf on the grill and it was awesome! Had both boys and one GF over for kind of a late dinner, but it was a lot of fun to have them. DS2 goes back to Hawaii this weekend.

Today is rain, rain, rain... I'll probably venture out at the end of the day again, when it doesn't matter how wet I get and don't need to come back to work.

Slo

I'm still mourning the 5 beautiful birch trees we took out last year when we redid the garage. But, they were just too close to the house and needed to go. Slo, you almost wonder if you could've trimmed those big overhanging branches? Maybe not. Sad to lose trees. I hope you replant something there.

We've been nursing her along for the last 5 years. She was dying from the inside out, top down. Most everything 2/3rd of the way up was hollow on the inside.

Dave59

I did manage a 2-mile run this morning before packing up the truck.  Got that done (mostly by the 2 guys from MovingHelp.com), then returned all the AT&T UVerse gear, and then I opened a closet in the basement and it had a bunch of albums and games in it...   Packed up 3 more boxes and added them to the truck.

Now, I think it may be time for a shower.  Don't want to stink up the old house too much for the new owners.

I recently found out I could make my phone a WiFi hot spot so that is how I currently have my PC connected.  Verizon used to block that function unless you were paying for it on top of your regular bill but they were forced to open it up after a law suit.  I have an unlimited data plan so I don't have to worry about using too much data.

Thanks for the start, Jay.

Slo, I keep watching the news for shots of you with The Donald at your state fair.

Marj - Crocodiles? Hard to picture that scene.

Hemerocallus, I did it again: took off for a 6-mile run this morning with no Bodyglide. At least I remembered to wear a headband instead of a cap, but I think I should buy some more 'glide and put a small stick in each of my cars. Ran 6.2 at a 10:55 average, which was good considering a sluggish start. Ran an hour earlier than Monday and it was cooler and only 92% humid compared to Monday's 98%.

DW's working today, so I had to quickly get tonight's meal going in the crock-pot when I got home, then get ready for one of our "old runners" lunches at noon today.

(Tried to post this earlier, but apparently the RA servers were unreachable or something. Obviously by now I'm back from my lunch outing, at which I had a good time. Nice to have a great group of long-time senior athletes who can spend a couple hours joking around and swapping stories and lies.)

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Not much time to post and not a lot going on besides work and such.

5.75 miles for me this morning in 72 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

tetsujin209 training, bike modifications, have you been possessed by some alien entity?  Have someone check your back.  Just a precaution you know.

Guess what I did today?  Yep, an hour on the elliptical!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/