Masters Running

Boston - 2nd volunteer perspective (Read 243 times)

just thought i'd chime in with a little Boston report from my point of view!! last year i was assigned to the first medical tent at the finish line which was great considering how awful the weather was last year and because they re-routed the elites and VIP's thru there on the way to their private areas --- so cool!! this year i was assigned to medical sweeps team which meant outside along the chute -- really cool!! i didn't see the elites this year but was even happier to see all the other thousands of runners!! to me that's really what Boston is all about!! Smile Smile i was teamed up with a friend from work along with one other RN, 2 MD's and 2 EMT's.........we also had a group of college students with us who were manning the wheelchairs...........our job was to triage the runners as they came past the food tables to see who might need to get into the medical tent -- at first wasn't sure how we were going to do this, but for some reason the people at the food tables were short volunteers and the bananas never made it into the little food bags so I started grabbing bananas and handing them to the runners telling them they weren't in the bags and getting runners to talk to me, look me in the eyes and i would continue to walk (often backwards) with a few that needed a little more assessing!! it was soooooooooooooo cool!! people were so awesome!! i can't tell you how many runners smiled brightly as i smiled and said congratulations, nice job at the same time did quick assessments - i joked how i never thought i'd go from OB triage to banana triage............sooooo many runners said thank you to the volunteers - i do that whenever i race too but it really is cool to hear and will remember to say thank you even more often my next race..........my gf was surprised - she said "are they told to say thank you" lol ......... i said no that's just what we do!! i loved being right there at the end and interacting with BOSTON FINISHERS!! i saw Bob and Harriet at the end but couldn't really spot any other RA boomers..........forgot the foil would be wrapped around people blocking their numbers at that point and it was amazing how many runners came by us at the same time - everyone starts to look alike at that point - lol!! next year i'll be signing up for medical sweeps again as soon as volunteer registration opens up!! it was a great way to experience the thrill of Boston!! CONGRATULATIONS to all our runners!! Big grin

denise

seemomgo

What a cool way to experience Boston. Good for you! I am curious...out of all of those finisheres, do you see many medical cases? Does the fact that it is Boston make a difference in the types of runners? I love the fact that you are set to sign up again already!! People like you make such a huge difference in the race world! I said on Coastwalkers thread that I had heard they needed over 7000 volunteers for this race. What an amazing number! Yeah you!!!!
        Thanks deez, for being at the finish line and helping! I do this exact job at the Colonial Half Marathon and I, too, am a Labor & Delivery RN! Funny how that works! Congratulations on a successful Boston Marathon!
        LaVita
        huskydon

Great report! It is great that you are helping out and at the same time get to interact with the real stars of the Boston Marathon, all the finishers. Sounds like fun work, and you can see how appreciated you are. Thanks for sharing!
          busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Thanks for posting! I'm glad to hear that runners were thanking the volunteers. I've always wondered if the volunteers get how much they are contributing to the amazing experience. Btw, it isn't a bad idea to let runners know to thank the volunteers.
            -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
            also on Twitter
              Super cool.......Thanks for this report. I was wondering the same thing about rate of injury with runners who already have been screened because they had to qualify. You simply don't have the "Sunday runner" entering Boston. At the same time, you do have the aspect that most of these runners are highly competitive and may push the envelope further than in other marathons. I always like to thank the volunteers and the music ensembles along the way too. As well, I like to thank small children who are along the route cheering. Thanks for letting us see how "fruitful" you were in this great service.
              Vista
                Deez, thanks for your report and for volunteering. It's neat to see a different perspective. I haven't had any first hand experience with medical people at races as most of them have been smaller and shorter and I have been fortunate to not get injured. At the largest race I was in, the PF Chang Rock and Roll Arizona, the medical tent was right by the finish line for the half and I was amazed at how many people were in the tent, most with ice packs on knees or ankles. In my only marathon, which was small, there was an ambulance standing by with a couple of EMTs. When I finished, I went over to talk to them. I asked if they had had much "business" to which they said "no". We agreed that it was a good thing and I told them I was glad they were there even if they weren't needed since you never know what may happen. Thanks again, Deez. TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Denise - first I want to say that I LOVED meeting you and having dinner, and was sorry I didn't get to see more of you. After the race my DH was tired of all the running around, so we had a quiet dinner and relaxed in the hotel instead of going to the after-race dance party. Did you get to go? Secondly, I want to say a huge THANK YOU to you and the other volunteers at the medical tents. They were doing an amazing job, in spite of the huge crowds. As I was wrapped in foil and moving with the crowd at the end I saw the medical staff handling so many runners in various states of distress (I looked for you but didn't see you), but they looked like they had their hands full, yet were working with great skill in spite of the overload - what an awesome job! And again, just on a personal note - THANKS FOR THE CANNOLIS! Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

Thanks for being there for the runners. And thanks for the RR from the volunteer perspective. Paul
                    coastwalker

Hi Denise, Thanks for your report. I love the "banana triage" - what a great way to assess a runner's condition! What you do is so critically important to so many runners at the end of a long race, and I can't tell you how much I respect you for donating your time and expertise. The medics are as important a component in any race as course marshals or a timing system. With so many people running races, there are bound to be medical issues, and being able to deal with them quickly (I don't need to tell you...) is so important. Thanks for caring and thanks for volunteering. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

thanks everyone!! i never made it back into the medical tents once the race started, but we would get updates with stuff like -- medical tent B is at capacity -- any runners needing assistance need to go to tent A which was the one right at the finish..........i sent quite a few people to the tent with severe foot/leg cramps and some probably with hyponatremia -- their faces were salt caked and they felt dizzy.........my gf had a runner go down and had to get him into a golf cart and he was transported with oxygen on.....if i get an update on actual stats i'll pass it on!!

denise

evanflein

I remember thanking the woman who gave me a banana... I said "there, that's more like it! Thanks so much!!" because I thought it odd that there was no banana in the food bag. Didn't realize I was getting assessed at the same time! Thanks for doing that, sure wish I'd gotten to meet you.
                            Denise! Your enthusiasm just pops out of this post. Thank you for volunteering and in this capacity. The service you provide is invaluable. I looked for you on my way through the sea of baked potatoes Big grin and on my way to the family reunion areas. I had a few volunteers ask if I was okay, but I was just squinting hard and trying to see if I could spot you. I knew you were there somewhere as I could feel that amazing spirit of yours. I hope you'll heal up soon so we can connect at another race! You rock! Karin
                              Denise - I'm so glad we had a chance to meet ever so briefly, and I'm thankful that I passed the assessment! I wasn't too sure there for awhile. You're a real sweetheart to volunteer; I know it's a very long day for the many many folks who contribute their efforts to this amazing event. THANK YOU!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Volunteering is a great way to give back to the running community. Thank you for doing this.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com