Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 3.30.15 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Nice runs yesterday, Tramps, Ribs & the Saint, CNY (high-mileage weekend), Robin (followed by ballroom dancing), Dave, Holly (what were you thinking?), Nancy, Enke, Stumpy, Mustang Sally, Tall, Mike, and Evanflein. Wow - lot of people were out running yesterday!!

Twocat, I'm glad you felt good during the Danbury Half yesterday - if only you hadn't checked your time at the finish! But I am also not surprised, with all you've had to deal with in the past few weeks, that it wasn't a faster time. I hope you're right, and those headaches are on the wane.

I'm glad you had a good time with your cuz on your run yesterday, Marj. Sounds a lot less stressful than driving 3 hours for a half and then racing back home for another event.

Sorry about your kitty's reaction to Tramadol, Nancy. Reminds me of the 60's...

MS, that was a greta selfie from Hell!

Thanks to all of you who take care, especially this time of the year, to try not to rut up the trails. I don't get on trails often, but when I do, the condition of the trail can make a huge difference.

You and Claire make a great team, TW!

Enke (and Mike?) - does anybody ever tell anybody else that childbirth can be painful? Seems to me that is one of the world's best-kept secrets.

I racewalked the Eastern States Half yesterday. It started at Wallis Sands Beach in Rye, NH, and went down the coast through N. Hampton, Hampton, and Seabrook, NH, and finished just across the border in Salisbury, MA. It was a gorgeous day with lots of sunshine, temps around 34-36, but also with a slight headwind almost the entire way. It's a pretty flat course, with just a few 'bumps' along the way. There was no racewalking div., so I was on my own, and just out to have a good time. I was tempted to stay with the 2:30 pace group, but wanted to go a little faster than that, so I started a yard to two in front of the group. I (as I almost always do) started too fast, but then settled into a good pace by mile 3. I started to pick off some slower runners in miles 4 and 5, and decided to motivate myself (and have some fun) by working to pick off at least one person in each mile for the rest of the race. It was tougher in some miles than others, but I succeeded. The worst part of the race is that my right shoe came untied TWICE, even with having been double-knotted. I had done a 10-miler in these shoes just last weekend, and had no problem with the laces. So, what's with that? According to my Garmin, I finished in a bit over 2:27 for a 11:12 pace - good enough for 3rd (of 4) in my AG. I did 3 halfs last year in the 2:24s, so this wasn't too bad for a "for fun" race. I'm still a little achy today, but not too bad. Good thing it is an SRD!

Edited to add a photo someone posted on FB from the start of yesterday's race:

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Hello all !

C'mon Spring! It sure is taking it's time.

My Experiment.

For most of my adult life I have battled eczema. I've met with my share of dermatologist. I had biospys and blood test done. I pretty much have a standing perscription for various steroid creams. These last 6 - 8 months have been the worse it ever has been.

Anyhow...My Dad had celiac. My blood tests have been negative. I have not had the scope done.

A few years ago one of the Dr.s recommended a trail gluten free period of 2 to 3 weeks. So it's taken me a few years...mostly because I didn't want to be one of those people on a gluten free diet with no medical reason.

Within 5 days my skin was clearing up. By the end of two weeks I was symptom free. 3 days after adding it back into my diet I had a huge eruption cover my entire back and lower legs. (I gorged on pizza, beer and girl scout cookies). I returned to the diet and managed 5 days before falling off the wagon...again I went all in. This brought on another out break but not as bad.

Prior to Friday of last week I was at about 10 days on the diet with most everything clearing up. I fell off the diet again...Damn Pizza.

But this time I have not had an outbreak. It usually comes about 24 to 48hrs following. This time I didn't go all out and eat everything in sight.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

To me this seems to be more of an allergic reaction and I'm hoping I can find that there is a tolerance level.

A gluten free diet sucks. I can't imagine anybody wanting to go on it with out medical reason. Within three days of my first go at it I was wiped and felt like crap. No energy, needing a cup of coffee or something in the middle of the afternoon and I couldn't complete a run. I've found a couple of items to add into the diet that helped with this but I certainly am not feeling the positive changes everybody brags about when they went gluten free.

Sorry to throw this out there...but I'm curious if anyone has any insights ot thoughts.

RUNNING...choice of 30deg and dark or 60 and sunny. I opted for 60 and sunny...RAW.

lamerunner

Good morning!  Looks like a productive weekend around here. Energizer bunny Holly is sneaking in runs and training hard without running. High mileage weekend for Karin, congratulations!  I am handing out medals at Boston finish again this year; I hope to see some of you. Last year I got to put medals on a few of my friends, but it gets busy and runners come down both sides of the table so it is hard to plan.

Still skiing up here!  Snow is melting in southern NH, but the ski hills still have tons of snow, and there is even more in the backcountry up high. DS had a ski race on Saturday at Loon.  Spectacular first run but he got tossed about by ruts in the second run and did not finish as high as he wanted. I ran about 8 miles on the Kancamangus Hwy during his course inspection.  Scenic, a bit hilly.

Yesterday, I finally got a sunny moderate weather day with no ski race, so I did it up; hiked Mt. Adams and  Mt. Madison in the northern Presidentials.  Bluebird day, maybe teens on the summits, 25 mph wind at most, with pretty good snow conditions up high, a bit of ice and postholes in the woods, and you don't want to get off trail; still several feet of snow.  I hiked probably 11 or so miles with lots of elevation gain.  I was tired last night.  Usual Monday rest day today and probably a swim.  One more set of ski races next weekend, then some backcountry while  the snow lasts.

Summer plans shaping up for the kids. DD has been accepted into Juneau Icefield Research Program (JIRP) for an eight week internship. She is very excited. It is an interdisciplinary research/education program; college kids and scientists work together doing glacier based research-geology, climate change, earth science etc.  There are lectures and writing assignments, and they ski from camp to camp where they do field research.  They start in Juneau and end up in BC.  She is a geology major and will get some academic credit and internship experience.  DS will be a CIT at the summer camp he has been attending and will do some training for next year's ski season.  Takes time to build muscle and he is still on the thin side.

Happy Monday!

evanflein

Lamerunner, that's awesome about your daughter! Excellent program, that will be a great experience for her!

Slo, I've struggled with excema in the past but seem to have outgrown it. My dermatologist always approached it from the stress management side since she believed the skin was the outer reflection of inner issues. I was married at the time to a real creep (figured it out after a couple years) and whenever we had problems (which was frequent), I'd have flare-ups. Got rid of him and haven't had much problem with it since....

Also, remember that gluten-free doesn't have to mean low carb. Although I agree the "gluten free" thing is a fad and credited with lots more "improvements" than can really be linked to gluten or lack of it. Many "gluten free" products are higher in fat and sugar to make up for what they take out, and gluten acts as a binder in baked products so if you take it out, you need to add something. AND, many people make up lack of wheat/barley by eating more rice and are at risk for excessive levels of arsenic (especially brown rice). No easy answers. But, if it is gluten free that makes you feel better, and you like Pizza, I see that a lot of places are serving gluten free pizza crusts (even Papa Murphy's). But I hope you do find a good balance.

Nice half, Jay! So many people can't maintain that pace running a half, and you walked it. Always impressive.

We're expecting high 40's again today, so I'll run later. Like Slo, given the option of 20's and dark or upper 40's and sunny, I'll take the latter!

Dave59

Slo - I know another runner with the exact same experience (and opinion on the gluten free diet.)  It's amazing how it works.

Reminds of a segment on 60 Minutes last night where they were getting rid of brain tumors by injecting them with polio.  (Not that I recommend that for eczema.)

Ran 5.4 mid-morning.  Very mean dog started chasing me down the road.  I stopped, faced the dog and started backing up slowly, but it just got louder and closer.  Finally when it was about a foot away, someone came out of a house a few doors down and called it off.  Wish I would have paid attention to which house it was because I would love to go back and &!&@^%&^S.  Maybe it is a good thing I don't remember the specific house. 

I did use up 10 years or more of adrenalin stores and could only manage a couple 11 minute miles after the encounter before calling it quits.

It was worse than the last time I got bit by a dog.  That happened so fast that I never had a chance to get scared.  This dog looked like it was sizing up the best place to strike to cause the most damage.

Slo - Last year I did the whole "no grains" for awhile, but not low carb.  It wasn't for gluten reasons, but to work on my eating habits and slow weight gain.  From your post, I don't know if you are completely leaving out all carbs or what, but upping protein intake and eating lots of fruits and vegetables helped with alleviate the crap feeling.  And it took me a good month or so before the cravings for grain products stopped.  When I needed something akin to chips, I ate pork rinds.  I don't know if those are gluten free, but they sure as heck helped in that respect.  Good luck to you.  Hopefully you can find a happy medium.

RIBS - Will you please message me the link to your article on changing up running shoes?

I liked Tom's post about his time with Claire.    The "Hannah Montana" thing is unfortunate, but at least she didn't say Taylor Swift.

I did about a 40 min walk yesterday - frustrating.  I did some more looking on the 'net, and the closest I've come to a description of what I'm feeling is Proximal Hamstring Syndrome which, from the article I read, seems to be a type of tendonitis.  I see my MAT person today, and I'm working on getting a referral to my PT.

The frustrating part of all this is, according to the article (if this is, indeed what's going on), part of the problem is weak glutes and hamstrings.  One of the tests to show if those are weak is to hold a one-legged bridge for 5-10 seconds without wobbling or having a hamstring spasm.  I'm good on the right, not as good on the left, which surprises the heck out of me since I do a lot of squatting, lunging, and core.  The bridge work, I have to confess that when I mixed up my ST schedule, I forgot to include those, so I haven't been doing those for about a month.

Anyway, that's my continued sob story.  If I have to take more than another week off of running, I may ditch my 24-hr run in July.  It's 4 months away, but then again, it's only 4 months away.

Okay - enough boo-hoo-ing on my part.  Have a great week, peeps ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

I work with 4 women who are all gluten intolerant. They do bring in some interesting foods to share and it seems like there is a larger variety of things available that are gluten free. some are okay. some are like styrofoam.

8 mile run for me yesterday in beautiful weather - low 70's sunny. made me glad that most of my run was on shaded trails with a few miles along a creek. The creek made Bailey and Bella happy too.  Then I decided since I was all sweaty from my run, it would be a good time to till my garden, so then I did that. I've already planted some things but now the rest is prepped also.

Rest day for me. Coach didn't get around to writing up this weeks schedule so I'll get that tonight. Just another 1.5 miles to go and I'll hit 6000 miles on my running journal.

Tammy

Slo

Slo - Last year I did the whole "no grains" for awhile, but not low carb. 

Yep, I did not set out to eliminate carbs but I quickly learned that the majority of my carb intake was from breads and pasta's. I upped the fruits, veggies, dairy and also added quinoa which is packed with carbs into my foods.

Yep, I did not set out to eliminate carbs but I quickly learned that the majority of my carb intake was from breads and pasta's. I upped the fruits, veggies, dairy and also added quinoa which is packed with carbs into my foods.

I wish you the best of luck.  Hopefully you can find that a balance that works for you.  It can be frustrating.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Lamerunner – that sounds like an awesome program – very cool!

Slo – bummer – I love grains, and would have a heck of a time doing without them.

Dave - after my recent encounter with a pit bull, a friend told me that I could get pepper spray at the running store that is just a small canister with an elastic strap that wraps around your hand, so you don't have to dig through pockets when you need it.  I plan to look next time I am at that store.

Jay - nice picture!

Okay, so, I now have an infection in my jaw, dagnabbit. I will say that I disclosed my running to the oral surgeon and he said that was NOT what caused the infection (and in fact his concern about running was about avoiding jarring the titanium mesh, not thinking that it would cause infection). Meshes are still fine, btw.

It apparently was beginning in the middle of last week, and I disclosed to him on Thursday that I thought there was some drainage going on, but he didn’t see any. However, by last night I knew there was an infection (nasty taste, swelling, pain) and went to see him this morning. As he is pulling on his gloves, he’s telling me that he almost NEVER takes a culture on an infection in the head or neck because the results are hard to pin down. Then he looks in my mouth and says, “Nurse, we need to take a culture here.”  After that was an extremely painful session wherein he squeezed and irrigated my sore parts (and gave me a new antibiotic script).  When I left, he gave me both his home and cell number - that's a little scary.

40 minutes of weights and core this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

ribs, nice 10K for you and the Saint, especially her with AG win.  DrRobin, congrats on topping $20K.  MS, neat you got to Hell and back.  tomw, always glad to hear about Claire visits.  Twocat, good job in your half.  Jay, same for your half.  3rd in AG against runners is impressive.  Slo,  I'm glad to hear you found a way to relieve your excezma.  Good luck in finding a good balance.  lame, congrats to your daughter with the research program.  Dave, sorry to hear about the dog incident.  Even though you weren't bitten, it sounds scary.  Holly, what a bummer about the infection.

Nice long runs for Mike, DrRobin, Tramps, CNY (23 and 10), Holly, and evan.

This morning, it was in the low to mid 30s and there was some wind.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:13 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

New skirt in town

Slo--I hope you are able to find a tolerable gluten free diet that continues to rid you of your eczema!  The data regarding the influence of gluten in the setting of atopic dermatitis is mixed, but I have had a few motivated patients give it a try.  Some have had relief of their symptoms, and some have not.  It's good to try the experiment, but now you have to figure out what to do with the results.  Perhaps meeting with a nutritionist will give you some tips about how to avoid the midday fatigue you describe.

And Holly...Yowza!  I'm so sorry you are dealing with all of this!  I hope the pain and the yucky taste continue to improve.  Today must be access drainage day, because I did several of them in my office!   (I hope no one is eating dinner and reading this!)  I have many ICD-9 diagnosis codes memorized, but abcess was not one of them.  Until today. After having to record it on so many forms, the number 682.9 is firmly entrenched in my memory.

Just a walk to the gym this morning, followed by a steady 60 minutes on the elliptical with HR in the mid 140's.  My toe is still a little achy, so I'm debating whether to bag tomorrow's interval session.

I'm still amazed by how swiftly Jay walks!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

King of PhotoShop

Leslie, this is the first article I wrote about the foot doctor, but it isn't the one you were asking about. Still, it's a good point about injuries in general:  http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2011/08/spareribs-sure-fire-injury-cur.html/

Here is the one you were asking about:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2012/03/what-to-wear-upcoming-races-ga.html/

Spareribs

Hi friends - had to go back to yesterday to read where the childbirth comments came from -- too funny!!  It's not always the best kept secret - some of my patients are scared to death from the horror stories other mothers have told them - others scream and carry on like their insides are being ripped apart --- oh wait a minute, they are- ooops!!  LOL  love my job!!

Went a little crazy today and ran 3.1miles on the treadmill today for my birthday!!  Also put in 15 minutes on the stepmill, then some core/hip strengthening and stretching .....foot felt ok but now a little achey

Great articles Ribs

Great race Jay - I had lots of friends there doing the 20 for Boston and the 1/2 - hope you saw a lot of MVS shirts!

Slo - hope your skin is better

Lamerunner - congrats to your dd

denise

If it snows again I am going to start killing small animals!  That or start handing out surprise assignments due in under 48 hours to my students.   I got up this morning and what is it doing outside?  Yep, snowing!!!    Really, enough is enough!  No, I did not kill anything.  But I did send my students an assignment just before 9pm tonight that is due Wednesday by 1pm!  

Oh yes, this is a running forum.  Did you see that stuff about snow above?  Who runs in a snow storm?  Not me, for sure.  It was an hour on the elliptical.  Which is what I planned to do anyway.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/