Masters Running

5-Week Weightloss or Maintain-it-Through-the-Holidays Challenge (Read 414 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, here’s the deal. There are a few of us who have packed on a few extra pounds lately, and here we are in the midst of the overeating season. I propose that we set a goal, a challenge if you will, to either lose a few lbs or perhaps simply to maintain current weight over the next 5 weeks of holiday bounty. We could set a day of the week – I propose Thursday – to weigh ourselves and set a starting point. Each week, on Thursday, we can check in and record our progress. You don’t have to tell anyone your weight, just say whether you are meeting your goals, up a lb, down a lb, whatever. My personal goal is to lose 5 lbs in 5 weeks. This is probably not going to happen, but hey, I can dream, can’t I? I would be happy with 3 lbs, although just making it through to New Year’s without GAINING any weight would be a victory in itself. Anybody with me on this?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

I'm already in a weight loss challenge over on KR, sort of a team effort approach. So far, I'm afraid I've contributed to an increase in our team's starting weight. So what the heck, I'll track over here, too! I'm finding that even watching carefully what I'm eating, I'm up 4 lbs this week. And I didn't even have any pie on Thanksgiving! There is no justice, that's all there is to it. I'm in.
        It's my thyroid, I swear! Big grin Count me in, ladies. I'd like to lose 8 but I'll shoot for 4, and that will eliminate the 4 I've gained since the end of October. Holly - does this mean we can't have wine or chocolate chip cookies? Sad
        evanflein

Holly - does this mean we can't have wine or chocolate chip cookies? Sad
          Hey! I never said anything about Holly setting rules... she eats ice cream, after all! Tight lipped All things in moderation, I say (as I shift around in my fat jeans)...

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I'm in too!! Hey, I'm still making Christmas cookies and I will eat some .... in moderation of course!! DD#2 has requested them before she gets her tonsils out on the 16th. Poor kid - I have to indulge her (and me). I would like to loose 4 pounds too. I weigh in on Monday's - but can wait until Thursday to post my results. Thanks Holly!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Renee the dog

What the heck...I'm in. I guess I have to go get the scale now from the other house. Black eye Let me think overnight on my goal.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I'm in! I bought an awesome pair of slacks the second week of school that I'd love to wear on New Year's Eve - with a slinky top! Wink Five pounds won't having me looking all that great, but it'll be a great start. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey, can the guys play too...I'm in too Cool 5 pounds over TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

I like Thursday as a weigh-in day because I generally eat too much on the weekend (nibble, nibble or eating out), and it takes me a couple days back to work to sort of lose the weekend bloat. Plus, I swear that long runs make me hold water in my muscles for a day or two - anyone else have this feeling? That you somehow gain a little weight the day after the LR? Could be all in my head. But still, Thursday is usually a better day.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Ultrachick

I'm in. I bought a new scale which added 3 lbs from the old one and I've gained about 5 so far. I hear you Holly on the extra water weight after a long run-sometimes after lifting too-maybe it's a combo effect. Anyhow, I'd be happy losing the 5 to start. Kelly
                      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                      Dutchie42

I'm in too. Weighed myself Monday and gained again! Need to loose 10 pounds or buy bigger sized clothes. But for the holiday season I'll settle for maintaining. I just know myself too well.

Dutchie
                        Run the day, or the day runs you.

Renee the dog

I got up this morning and drove over and picked up my scale at the other house. Would have been better to walk the 7 blocks, but well, if I were doing that, I'd not be here on this thread, would i??? So, I'm in, and after much soul searching, and looking at how many parties we're hosting here over the holidays, I'm going to say my goal is whatever I weigh in at tomorrow. Yep, just to maintain. My smoking crack goal is to lose 3 lbs.

TammyinGP

I wanna play too, but I don't want to weigh myself Roll eyes to know my starting weight. I won't be eating much today though, since I have conferences right after work and will be getting home sort of late, so I guess tomorrow would be a good day to brave the scale.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey, I'm having a tet moment....just me (the only dude) with all the goddesses here in this thread Cool Happy Timmi

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Renee the dog

I wanna play too, but I don't want to weigh myself Roll eyes to know my starting weight. I won't be eating much today though, since I have conferences right after work and will be getting home sort of late, so I guess tomorrow would be a good day to brave the scale.
                                C'mon Tammy -- I went and fished my scale out that I left behind 6 months ago. You can do it! Obviously, I'm in the "not step on a scale" camp if mine wasn't even on the east side of town with me. Wink I do think folks can be a slave to the scale, but it is a useful tool sometimes. Looking forward to tomorrow and hoping for a high number. (slacker that I am)