Masters Running

CNYrunner's Boston Marathon report (lengthy!) (Read 451 times)

Boston Marathon, April 21, 2008 42F and foggy in the Athletes Village at 7:35 AM (when the Springfield Harriers bus arrived) and about 50F when I got settled into corral 11 at 9:36 (after watching the elite women bust off the starting line---saw Deena Kastor, Ryan Hall, and Joan Benoit Samuelson in the starters area---at a distance)---warmer temps in the middle of the course and cooler and a bit breezy as we approached Boston. Stats: 3:26:37 Overall: 5723 Gender: 826 Division: 149----don’t know the totals in the latter two categories and it doesn’t really matter so much to me….just nice to see so many women out there (and the guys too of course) Goals: I printed out a 3:26 pace band a couple months ago ---not to wear---but to memorize the key splits (5, 10, 15, 20 and most importantly hitting 23 miles in 3 hours) Fantasy goal: 3:25 Smoking dope goal: 3:20 Still smiling for the cameras goal: 3:30 Details of the Day I slept fitfully on Sunday (normal) even though I fell asleep at 9:30 PM---woke up a few times after midnight and mostly worried I would miss the alarm and the bus to Boston. Oy! Mr CNYrunner got up at 4:45 AM with me and made me some real oatmeal with maple syrup and made sure the coffee was set. He and the kiddo had all their maps and train schedules ready for their trip into Boston, but weren’t leaving the house until 8 AM so I was grateful for the morning company. Good luck smooch and I was out the door at 5:25 and at the Springfield Harriers bus at a local Big Y supermarket in time for the 6 AM departure. The folks on the bus are super and very supportive. Both waves were represented and one of the Boston streakers was aboard—Ed Sandifer of Newtown, Ct---56 years-old and 35 consecutive Boston marathons. It was nice to ride in such comfort and it meant that I had a warm and cozy spot to wait once we arrived. I listened to music on the iPOD and relaxed for a bit and then slowly got the chip on, changed socks and made sure the salt tablets, gels and bib were all in place. I jogged down to the start in time to see the elite women head off and then moved on to my corral. I was born on September 11, got married on August 11, my brother was born on December 11, my favorite aunt on October 11 and my first house was 11 Park Place (in Canton, NY). Corral 11 seemed like a good place. The sun was burning off the fog and I was grateful for the sun block I remembered at the last minute. In 2001 I had killer sunburn on the backs of my knees and neck….not again. I do have some patches that I clearly missed, but no big deal. The anthem and a fly over and we were off---well, I walked with purpose for about 7 minutes before my foot hit the starting mats. It’s too congested at the start to go out too fast and I am grateful for that. Even with that downhill in the first mile, I just tried to settle in and find my bubble over on the left side of the road. Mr. CNYrunner and the kiddo were planning to be at mile 13 and two of the running Js were planning to be at the top of Heartbreak Hill with their kids. It’s school break week here in Massachusetts. They all planned to be on the left, so I wanted to find a position. My splits by 5k: 23:55---okay and in control for the first 5K---found my bubble 47:11----speeding up perhaps too much---flirting with a 3:20 and running next to someone with “Karen” on her shirt---Thanks! Big grin 1:11:02---Still holding it fairly even and the quick speed is mostly due to downhills on this part of the course---I am not getting too wacky, honest! I dropped my shoulders and let the downhills carry me and just kept it even and looked up on the uphill’s---not bad for 15k 1:35:20----20k and still feeling good---weird taper week pains all gone, arms swinging okay----threw off my gloves and took the last swig from my handheld water bottle 1:40:28---half marathon mark---running for Amy in this mile and away from the Wellesley women a bit too fast. No kissing for me, just running—great boost though (The Seven Sisters adage is “Wellesley to wed and Smith to bed”….hope y’all were careful!) Evil grin I spotted my family and my sister-in law and her two kids at 13.4. Nephew Charlie was a bit freaked and hid behind his mom’s legs, but the 20 month-old—Roxie-- was holding my son’s hand and they each gave me a gel. I stopped to give then all kisses and hugs and swapped my empty bottle for a fresh one (little bottles) 1:59:22---25k---feeling the sun on my shoulders a lot, but the breeze helps. Some young and very cute guys start chanting: “eleven 5-4-8---you look great!” That made me grin and they ran along the side for a bit chanting until they found their next target. Fun! 2:24:03---30k---getting into the Newton Hills---still in my bubble and feeling fairly smooth with some tightening in my hips---to be expected. 2:50:28---35k---this is near the crest of the last of the Newton Hills and the infamous Heartbreak Hill. The uphills don’t bug me and in fact allow me use different muscles. That said, it’s late in the race and I am using my arms much more---Coach Mary said to fling the monkeys off my back and I was flinging hard for sure here. I saw the two running Js (one injured and couldn’t run Boston). I stopped and gave them smooches and hugs---only great friends will let you give them salty gel kisses! 3:15:32----40k I fell off 3:20 pace and my smooching and hugging cost me a 3:25, but I am on that 3:26 target still and determined not to let it go. I never hit the wall really, just trying to stay in control and take it all in. A lot of the folks who passed me in the first miles are coming back to me here. I know what that feels like, so I say that with all humility. The marathon is a fickle mistress and I’ve done the death march too I make the turn onto Boylston off of Hereford and get boxed in! Goodness…I stuck my elbows out like I was running the 800 as a teenager and found my bubble again. I am trying to do a Deena and stride out to the finish. Okay the Deena imitation can’t ever happen, but I did smile and pumped hard to the finish. It’s a L-O-N-G stretch to hit the mats. 3:26:27 ---My 4th Boston---thanked the volunteers and joined the march of the baked potatoes to find my family. They drove to Kendall Square from Wellesley and walked over to meet me. The First-Born child,--Type A Myers Briggs INTJ--- Virgo in me could analyze what I didn’t do well endlessly, but I am not going to do that. I am happy and it’s a kick to have a masters PR. I will say Thank You to all of you for inspiring me daily and making me remember that I have to report back----peer pressure can work well! Soundrunner and SkipAz sent important advice messages beforehand and above all, I run for me because I can and for my father, because he can’t. He made it all the way to the 1952 Olympic Trials semi-finals in the 100-yard dash and the 100-yard hurdles and every footfall is accomplished with him in mind. My boys were waiting for me at the “G” area. The kiddo let me wear his little league fleece jacket and they both waited patiently while I struggled to get into fresh clothes in the bus bathroom. I traveled home with my guys not wanting to wait until the bus departure at 5 PM. Mr. CNYrunner and the kiddo are an awesome support team and I am very grateful for that as I spend many hours running the roads and away from them. We had homemade macaroni (whole wheat) and cheese laced with brandy and shrimp for dinner. I tucked into that and a big bowl of ice cream after an ice bath. Thanks for reading this far too lengthy report and above all thanks for the cheers, the cyber shouts and the inspiration. You all rock and I wish I could meet all of you! Oh yeah……"Fashion”----white “Life is Good” running cap, red Pearl Izumi singlet, red, yellow, orange striped Race Ready shorts (mostly red) and purple and grey Addidas classic stability sneakers with just 50 miles on them----red gloves that bit the dust at half-way. Fuel: six salt tablets (2 at 5, 10, 18 miles), three caramel/caffeine power gels ( at 8,14, 22)---carried water. And consumed about 32 oz all told----no blisters and minimal salt on the face. Karin
      You sure had a great day, CNY. You had your plan and ran it well. It sounds as though you felt strong the whole way and enjoyed the journey. Congrats on a speedy Boston and masters PR. TomS
      PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Wow! What a strong run, and an excellent report. "March of the baked potatoes," - that is a classic line - can I steal it? I might modify it to "the baked potato shuffle." Congratulations!
          The "March of the Baked Potatos"! I love that! Perfect description. Karin, you are a fine runner and you write a fine race report too. You ran this one well and are happy at the end. Like it should be! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

It was a delight to read this. I am very happy for you. Those long training miles and tough workouts paid off for you big time. But what was most impressive is your control and understanding of where you were and how you were performing at all times. You are right that it really is a "bubble" when you have it all together. A bit too much smooching there, beginning with your husband at the door and continuing on through the race. You will have to knock that off if you ever want to be top talent! Oh, and that baked potato line is wonderful. Well done and congrats. Spareribs
              Well done....very well done! We all were tracking you online yesterday. We were so excited at how well you were doing! Congrats!
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              btb1490

As usual, nothing less than spectacular here, both with your race and your report! Just like your preparation, your race was perfectly executed, complete with hugs and kisses along the way! The march of the baked potatoes line is destined to become a classic phrase around here now! Thank you for sharing your perfect (in my eyes) day with us. We are very fortunate to have you as a part of this forum community Karin. Thank you too for thinking of Amy out there, and including her in your bubble. Very well done. Congratulations!

Head Procrastinator

Congrats on a fine marathon and a great report. I am sorry you weren't at any of the Master's gatherings, it would have been great to meet you. Barb
                  ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                    Gee......I didn't find that report lengthy at all. It was ALL very interesting. You ran a super race and have to be pleased with the results. Your race planning and awareness of the situation along the way is very evident. Congratulations on the Masters PR. Thanks for a great report that was very well written. Joey
                    Vista

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Totally spectacular Boston CNY!! I am very happy for you! The Boomer godesses really rocked Boston this year! Congratulations!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

coastwalker

Hi Karin, What a delightful RR to read! The joy of your day and your race came through wonderfully. You're very smart to stay away from trying to figure out what you might have done better in the race, and just basking in the light from all you did right. You did so much that was right! Congratulations on a greta race, and a terrific Masters PR! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Ah! A cup of coffee and my first of many race reports for the day (hopefully) Not much work gonna get done today I fear. Congrats on the fantastic race and thank you so much for sharing it with all of us with a wonderful report. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Great race. You are a bit modest here about your final time. By the time runners hit the 20 mile mark it was a LOT warmer than ideal. The sun was hot and I saw many runners fading under the stress. I know as I was cheering people on just prior to the 23 mile mark and while I was nice and warm I was in full sympathy mode for those on the course. Coming in at just over 3:26 was quite an accomplishment!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

What a wonderful report Karen! I didn't think it was too long at all. You are so lucky to have such a great support team. Congratulations on making your goal - you are a fantastic runner and an inspiration! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Henrun

Karin, congratulations on a wonderful race. It was a pleasure meeting you and Marj and I hope to see you again at other races.