Masters Running

Sunday 2-15-15: revenge of the geta on Konpira 1,368 stairs five times (13,680) (Read 37 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy Day after Valentine's Day.

Whadchya get/give?

My pictures from afar fortunately went a long ways, or at least far enough  whew.

Last January (2014) I took the train connections from Osaka to the hot springs town of Kotohira on Shikoku Island and the famed 1,368 stairs up to Konpira Shrine on the adjacent mountainside.  Even though it was a Sunday after one of the Saturday marathons sponsored by the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club, I thought I should be able to make the round-trip three times, one each in my favorite Japanese footwear.  After all, it’s only walking and that’s all I’m doing in my marathons nowadays anyway, NOT, as I only made one RT before retiring to the local hot springs.
    This time, starting a little after 6:00 am when it’s starting to get light out over here, the first round trip took an easy (this time) two-and-a-half hours followed by Japanese smorgasbord breakfast at the hotel overflowing with the fish, shellfish and seaweeds I love. After washing up, a short rest in the hotel hot springs) helped make nos. 2 and 3 in just under two hours but when I got carried away for a no. 4, it took more than two-and-a-half hours again but it must have rested me up as no. 5 was the fastest of the day.  Unfortunately, the hot springs closed for the daily cleaning by then so I guess I’ll have to go back again sometime.

Grand total: 13,680 stair steps [(1,368 up + 1,368 down) x 5] in

. . . (1) wooden geta sandals,

. . . (2) straw waraji and

. . . (3) straw zori thongs,

. . . (4) jikatabi cloth/rubber secure Japanese scaffolding shoes and

. . . (5) barefoot
    but not in that order as barefoot was first as I didn't want to appear to be odd or anything like that when the throngs started arriving in late-morning/early-afternoon.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

Tet - Did you do the 5 trips today? Did you run a marathon yesterday? I am just trying to gauge how much awe I will display.

I'm at my race. It's somewhere around -14. Snow and wind closed the east/west roads where the half goes so it was cancelled. I'm running the 5k. I passed out most the gift cards to the volunteers.

I'm looking forward to some Tim Hortons coffee after my run

Mike E

MM #5615

That's a lot of stair steps, tet. Congratulations! You are truly one of a kind. The next time I'm at Payless, I'm going see if I can find me a pair of those jikatabi cloth/rubber secure Japanese scaffolding shoes.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good luck Dave!

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Tet, you're an animal! I can't imagine making that trip once in any of the foot gear you wore, but 5 times with different footwear each time? Yikes!

Dave, good for you for just getting out and getting to the race in that weather! And good for you for taking good care of the volunteers. Especially in that kind of weather, I'm sure they'll appreciate the coffee gift certificates.

Yesterday afternoon, we and a neighbor went snow shoeing on the pond across the street. We went into the woods on the far shore and followed some deer tracks for a while, then we went over near the dam where there was a hawk that appeared to be chowing down on a fresh catch. And, finally, we took a walk around the shore of the pond, which was a half-mile jaunt. Fun stuff, but it was also some work since we were breaking trail the entire time.

Looking out the window this morning, there is at least another 12-15" of snow on our deck that fell overnight. The snow is just about done, but the winds are supposed to keep up at 25+ mph today as the temps drop from a high of 20. My workouts today will be with the snow blower, shovel, and roof rake. I just hope the winds don't blow the snow back to where I clear it! After this, we get a break:  there's no more snow in the forecast till Tuesday!

Keep smiling, stay warm and safe, and have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

I'm at my race. It's somewhere around -14. Snow and wind closed the east/west roads where the half goes so it was cancelled. I'm running the 5k. 

Call me impressed.  Wow!

It's about 12F here with a crazy wind that's been howling all night long and I'm taking the day off.  Wuss, I know.

Tet--that is one unique adventure.

Be safe. Be kind.

...tet never ceases to Amaze me.................either I just Amaze Easily, or we should have him committed when he gets back.......

============

and here's a Fun Fact:

check

the damn WindChill

before you go out for a work-out

60-min bikeride 7-up and 7-down

came home

after I couldn't feel my feet anymore>>>>>>>>>>>>>8-degrees with the WindChill

no wonder I didn't see anybody out this morning,

also

I may be An Idiot.

..................good running guys..........Think Warm Thoughts...........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Pretty amazing total stepping, Tet!!  I would like to see what Japanese scaffold shoes look like, too.

You're a better man, than I, Dave--that's a lot of negative degrees.  And I'd rather go to Tim Horton's than Starbucks, too.  Happy running.

One of the surplus stores around here had snowshoes on sale earlier in the year and I wish I had bought some when I was last there.  yesterday I called all 3 branches within a decent distance, and for some reason, they were all sold out.

The snow in our area is predicted to be over sometime after noon today, so I'm waiting for a while before I suit up and try to move the 12"+ that's there at the moment.

ETA:  good morning Tramps and TW, who snuck in while I was typing.  Tom--that's one of the reasons I like to get out and run when it's really cold or snowing out.  I want to be the guy that people say "I can't believe I saw some idiot out running this morning".    I will NOT be attempting that this morning.  I not that big an idiot.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Wow, Dave.  Just wow.

I got my heroic winterish run in yesterday, stealing 4 mi in relatively warm +12F while I could, as it will be bitter all week.  I am very, very happy about getting out, as it's my first steady run with no walk breaks since before the new year.  Pitifully slow, and I am glad for the snow and hills to blame.  But it was *so good* to be outdoors and actually running nonstop.  Except for the last bit into the eye of a whiteout.

Hammie came with me and was covered in snow and ice by the time we got back.  I had to stop part-way through and pick ice cubes out from between his toes, and have since trimmed the hair on his paws right back.  I have vague memories of someone saying that spraying Pam on a dog's feet would help avoid snowballs - all I can imagine is Hammie trying to lick it off.

DPOSSLQ and I traded Valentine meals yesterday:  I made the Eggs Benedict in the morning, he made the Lobster Thermidor in the evening. We are both committed to hours of activity today to try to work a bit of the love back off before it remains with us for too long.

It is -10F with windchills far lower. I just got off the spin bike, a two-hour Sufferfest called It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time.  Lots of fun, am pleasantly tired now.  So I will sit in the sunny window and soak up bright light reflected off the snow, and feel very pleased that I am NOT going out there.

Didn't realize that I hadn't been here for a few days. Reprising yesterday's subject, I proposed on "Sweetest Day" 34 years ago, which was probably the only time we ever took notice of that occasion. Is it still around?

Well, I matched Dave's 5K this morning in sub-zero weather, except that I was inside on a treadmill, which is the only sane way to run on a day like this (not to question Dave's sanity, but...). And I don't even want to hear what Steve/Perchcreek did, especially since it will be more like -13F tomorrow morning!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

Well, I took it pretty easy out there today.  I had an episode running in the extreme cold years ago where it made me cough (hard) for hours afterwards.  So I backed off all the way to the 5k, bundled up, and made sure not to push myself to the point of really heavy breathing.

I ended up with a 27:48 (8:55 pace on the Garmin.)

Not many people turned around at the 5k halfway point which means a vast majority of people were doing the 10k.  I may have even placed in my age group (by default) but waiting around another hour or more for (the possibility) of an award, even a very, very cool Ice Cube Man didn't seem worth it.  Plus it would be one more piece of junk to pack up when we move.

Garmin upload says it was -13 and felt like -27:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/698243841

I had 1 short sleeve shirt, 3 long sleeve shirts, and a wind breaker on top.  A full head covering hat thing, and one of the shirts had a hood so I pulled that up over my head too.  I had sun glasses but they fogged up too much to keep on.  Down below I had on my warmest pair of briefs and 2 pair of tights.  And on my feet, I used rubber bands to hold hand warmers over the toe area and then those were covered up with my shoe sheeldz (http://www.embracedincomfort.com/category-s/1828.htm)  On my hands I had gloves, mittens, and some hand warmers.

King of PhotoShop

Whatever it was Tet did, it was awesome. Nice going.

And Dave, you are an animal. After all these years down here in TX, I can stand a bit of cold, but that would be way beyond what I could endure.

8 slow miles for the Saint and me at the Lake this morning.  Now I am excited as all three boys will be here for dinner and I'm smoking up six pounds of baby backs, and making a spicy cole slaw, along with baked potatoes, "Drunken" beans, asparagus, gluten free cornbread. Should be fun. Spareribs

...sorry dave//...........I missed that Heroic Effort the first time thru.......apparently my brain was still cold

you deserve a Medal,

and

also to be committed with tet when he gets back

HardCore Racing......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - wow, that is a lot of stair climbing!  I looked up those shoes that Mike wants, but what is up with the need to separate the toes?  I think that would drive me crazy, but I suppose you get used to it.

Dave - You are WAY tougher than I am.  Very impressive!

DH and I, and two other couples, drove down to Kentucky together yesterday morning to hit the Bourbon Trail.  There are nine distilleries on the trail, and you carry a passbook that gets stamped at each place you visit.  We only had time to tour Wild Turkey and Buffalo Trace, but the tours were fascinating, and the whole process is impressive.  Then at the end of the tour they give you a couple of samples.  I am not really a bourbon drinker, but it was great fun and I learned a lot.  Afterward, we went out to dinner and then to listen to a band for a while at a local hangout, and then stayed at a hotel, driving home today.

Did you know that 95% of the world's bourbon comes from Kentucky?  Fun fact:  There are more oak barrels of bourbon aging in warehouses in Kentucky than there are residents of the entire state. 

No run for me yesterday, and none today either.  Tomorrow I will begin trying to combat the weekend's calorie overload, but for today I am being lazy and catching up with household chores before the work week.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I never thought I would say this but I wish we had the weather evanflein is supposed to get! 

stumpy77 with the weather being what it is I am becoming a fan of the TM!

Dave59 you must have a polar bear somewhere in your family history to brave those temperatures!

tetsujin209 in your case there must have been a mountain goat in your family history!  What a trek!  

Today was an elliptical day for me.  Tomorrow will be a nothing day due to work.  Tuesday an onward the temperatures are going into deep freeze territory.  I may see if 14 miles on the TM is survivable.  I have to get my weekly miles and runs up from 3 to 4 if I am going to run a marathon in May.

DW got up this morning feeling sorry for the local bird population.  Translation, Twocat go out and fill the bird feeders.  So I put on my heaviest coats, gloves and hat.  Went out in my work boots and filled up the bird feeders.  Happy birds we have!  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/