Masters Running

Monday April 7 Daily (Read 42 times)

Tramps

Good morning!

Thanks for the encouraging words yesterday.  I don’t mind running short and easy, it was not running at all that had me feeling like a slug!

Mari—TriBee’s in rough shape, sadly.  She has a herniated disk and is doing some pretty intense physical therapy to try to avoid surgery. Verdict’s still out.

Holly—congrats on #25!  Take care of that foot, though.

Dg—great photo.  Some days I feel like I could use that bubble wrap.

Doug—nice run.  Cool that you got to run with Perch.  (Say “hi” for me the next time you see him.)

Erika—enjoy the warm weather runs.  Spring certainly has sprung down here.

NHLA—nice running route there!

Starr—that’s a handsome family photo…with another in the background. Nice.

TW—did the hotel charge you extra for the newly-created fireplace?

Carolyn—thanks; yeah the job’s great.  That is a training challenge.  Seems to me you’d train for the 50 miler and do the marathon almost as a training run. But what do I know?

Mike—at least you weren’t in a pod…were you?

Out for 4 miles this morning in the drizzling rain.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

{{{{Tribeee}}}}}} Butterfly hugs to her.

Just came in here to check on Holly's foot. Take it easy now sistahhh.

No running for me today. Rest day. I think I played too hard in the garden this weekend....and I still have four shrubs to plant .

This is a happy Monday. Happy, indeed!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Great start Tramps.

Pouring rain yesterday which was just what I needed to not do anything. Boy did that race take the stuffing out of me.

A two mile walk today with Lucy von Sheltie and a few easy jogs mixed in was just what I needed. Now I feel ready to tackle the day.

Off to Atlanta tomorrow for business.  Spareribs

Great to "see" you Tramps but so sorry about the lay-off reasons (hurray for pain-free running now) Healing vibes to TriBee and hope she can avoid surgery :-(

Congrats on another successful marathon Holly and way to go on helping your friend to a PR. Baby that foot this week now.

Nice racing for you Ribs even if fatigued now. When's your next race?

Sounds like you and your kiddo had a blast on all your vacation runs C -R

Ran 10,7 miles at 8:10 pace with Iron J this morning. Yesterday was spectacular here with endless blue skies and great temps. all day. I ran 17 with the last five miles at MP for 7:58 pace overall. It felt like I was flying with just shorts and one shirt layer and no gloves. roar.

Funny about the duck parade in the hotel Erika. Cute maybe but ducks and geese can be so mean and messy. Hope the rest of the Memphis runs go well.

Carolyn, my teammate ultra-Amy focuses on the ultras (her speciality and where she has the most sponsors---Innov8, Power gel etc) even though she has the Boston Marathon coming up as well. In fact she's running a 50 miler on 4/12 and then Boston on 4/21 and a 100 miler in May. She runs roads during the week and then does multi-hour trail runs on weekends. The roads helps her legs get used to pounding and then the trails are her focus and joy. It depends on goals of course too. Seems to me there's no question about your endurance and stamina, but you might try and get in at least a couple flatter road runs in the weeks leading up to Ave. of Giants so your legs feel ready for the road pounding.

Sayhey! MM#130

Starr, you will love the Deadwood half.  There are some sppots that seem kind of uphill, and there's flat at the end, so just be mentally set for that.  It's a good race and the trail is easier on your bones than pavement, that's for sure.  HAve fun!  Say hi to Emily WHeeler, the RD if you run into her.

Holly, you are a Beast!  Really remarkable; didn't you say on Saturday you were afraid you would not finish, maybe have to drop out after a few miles?  Your friends are lucky to have you.  Hope all is still well.  Are you (do you know) learining Spanish for the Mexican vacation?  That sounds like a spectacular plan.  Modified to clarify....the TRIP to Mexico with the family sounds spectacular, not my asking about the language.

ras, your 17.5 miles after that trip is unfathomable to me.  I'm super impressed.

roch, didn't know you were such a bird fancier!  Thanks for all the avian lives you spared!  Like the image of you and perch out tooling around together.  Bet it was fun.

Ribs, nice run.  How's the calf??

tw, <<<shaking head>>> I WISH Jeanne had been there with a camera.  You know, I bet Tag would enjoy larking about with you.

I've seen the ducks at the Peabody, too Erika.  I guess I went with the history of the thing.  They've been doing it for decades!

Jay, no fair saying you stopped at Trader JOe's without telling about some yummy thing you got there.

Mari, the protagonist in the novel I'm reading just donned her mom's favorite necklace when I was reading last night and I thought of you.  It's a butterfly (blue) necklace.

Sayhey, remember Skechers?  The roly-poly shoes and how the company got sued for false health claims that the shoes would basically transform your life and cause you to lose weight?  Yes, me too.  That's why I am really surprised to tell you that I tried on some running shoes made by same company, based on some reviews, including in Running TImes, and bought them.  Ran in them this am and really really liked them.  And no, no one's paying me or giving me anything to say this.  I got the Ultra-LTs, not for racing, but very cushy, good for after long and/or hard runs.   They have sort of rocker bottoms, but not too pronounced.  Helps you land midfoot.

The weekend has left me now anticipating Boston.  Ran the 4th annual "Run for Music" in Naples, FL Saturday and finished 3rd woman overall with a 44:31.  Field was kind of slow--one of my running club buddies was up all night chaperoning a "Grad Night" as normally, she'd have whooshed on by me.  Still, at a 7:08 pace, I was thinking, this is what Karin feels like in most of her training runs.  Then I thought, nah, for her, this pace is just "brisk," if that.

Then put in a 20 miler Sunday morning at 8:54 pace, stopping the watch just once for the regroup with the group at 10 miles.  It included two bridge out and backs, with one starting around 15.5 miles, the best I can do to simulate Heartbreak.  Saw the sunrise over the river from the bridge on the first go-round, never gets old!

And the after race party on Monday night is at Fenway!!!!!    [yes, I listened all weekend.  Happy to wave good-bye to the Brewers, that's a fact.]  MAniac photo Sunday at noon at the finish, I believe.

Happy rest of Monday now that the am is past, for most, hello tet, Carolyn and you west coasties, noon is on its way .

grins,

A

ps: Karin, I just got a pair of Innov8s within the month to race in and like them.  Does Ultra Amy really like hers?

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Ran the 4th annual "Run for Music" in Naples, FL Saturday and finished 3rd woman overall with a 44:31.  

Sweet!

Rest day for me today.  Feeling a bit creaky but not too bad.  My foot is sore, but oddly, not any more sore than it was last week.  I will work on icing and calf-rubs and stretches this week, maybe stay on the stationery bike to rest it up.

Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

ps: Karin, I just got a pair of Innov8s within the month to race in and like them.  Does Ultra Amy really like hers?

Aamos! You are a rock star and we'd recruit you in a hot minute if you were still living in Western MA. We'll soon be able to score in the open, masters, and seniors categories and could use your zoom power in the masters and above categories!

As for Innov8s, yes, Amy loves them: http://team.inov-8.com/team/team-inov-8-trail-runners/amy-rusiecki/

I have a pair of their racing flats and they are like ballet slippers and very snazzy in fuchsia, bright blue and purple. I wear them for 5-10ks and also when I was going to Cross Fit this past summer.

Good news Holly and smart plan for recovery. Congrats again.

TammyinGP

Hi All! Wasn't around much this weekend so am out of the loop per usual.   We took David to Portland on Friday to see the Blazers game and then drove home on Sat. About a 4 hr drive, so not too bad, but when you go up one day and back the next, it makes it seem like we spent the entire the wknd sitting.  Yesterday was gorgeous so got some gardening done, some running, some walking with the dogs, etc.  Today is 80 but then we slip into a very comfortable mid 70's the rest of the week.  Yay! Hope this stays and isn't just a teaser and then get tormented with more cold rain.

Tammy

ribs, good 15K with 2nd AG.  tomw, that's quite a bike ride you had.  roch, neat you and perch got to run together.  NHLA, beautiful trail pictures.  Starr, I love the family picture.  Holly congrats on your marathon.  It sounds like the tape, ibu, and friends made it successful.  C-R, great you got to do a trail run with your son.  pfries, way to go in your marathon.  Tramps, sorry to hear about Tribee's back problems.  I hope she gets them resolved.  Aamos, nice race, being 3rd woman.

Nice long runs for ras, NHLA, mari, Mike, Jay, CNY, and Aamos.

Yesterday. I got in 3 miles before church at a 10:17 pace.  Today, we are enjoying watching our grandson.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

I have no idea what's going on in here, but it sounds like Tribee needs {{{healing hugs}}}.

Congrats on your race, Holly.  I need to go back and read for more info.

I loved my Innov-8s when I could run in them.  Alas, after a year and a half, but started causing me AT issues.

I haven't been in here because t I am just absolutely overwhelmed by this transcription job.  Three weeks and counting, and I've been given more interviews to transcribe.  And they start picking the jury today for the trial.  And of course they need everything ASAP.  Well, I'm charging mightily for that ASAP, but am just hoping I survive this.  In three weeks, I have 48 hours of extra work under my belt.  I finally recruited one of the young woman I work with who is able to do transcription at home.  She needs the money, and I need the help.

Okay - Enough of me being a cry baby.  I have been running with all this, but you wouldn't know it since I haven't gotten any of my runs downloaded in over a month.   This week I start interspersing some B2B2B's, so we'll see if I survive.

I am very much looking forward to the weekend of May 3 as the Avenue of the Giants marathon and meeting more RAers!  I'm not running, but I do intend to yell myself hoarse rooting for everybody and enjoying a weekend of socializing.

Okay - I gotta finish my lunch and then back to work.  No rest for the wicked!

Later ~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Sayhey, look what I found at some bogus website I never heard of of (timeanddate.com) that is a new FAVORITE of mine.

It purports to be the forecast for Boston in two weeks. 

Yoo Hoo Dr. Robin!!!

Mon, Apr 21

56 / 39 °F

More sun than clouds.

Feels Like: 54 °F

Humidity: 64%

Precipitation Chance: 0%

<canvas></canvas>

SSE

Wind: 10mph

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Henrun

Love to see grandkids photos.

Did 4.2 miles this morning on our local reservoir and yoga this afternoon while Marj got in 3. She's cooking up a storm for our monthly book club meeting tomorrow. We alternate hosts and everyone else brings rest of the meal and wine.

Looks like spring is finally here.

Lots of great runs this weekend and beautiful grandkid pics!!

Just a quick post to let you know I followed thru on my plans yesterday -- ran a very easy 5k - my friend and I talked the entire way to make sure we kept it at easy pace and not race pace....then we ran to each of our cars and off we went for our long run - she did a total of 15.2 and I kept going to hit my 20.2!!  Very glad to have that behind me, feeling strong and happy to take it easy now!!   2 more weeks!!

Congrats Holly and Pfriese on your marathons!!Posai - on the water ? - yes, the 1/2 your weight in ounces should be just plain water, doesnt count the coffee, tea or any add-insKarin - your training is amazing!!Amy - can't wait to see you again!!  I was at work on opening day at Fenway and it was painful to be there --- so close and yet so far!!  My niece was a volunteer on the field lowering the flags - so happy for her!!

denise

C-R

Quick post and off to dinner. 5.1 with kid today on Scottsdale path. 89 degrees was a bit different for us but we had fun.

Carolyn - I usually don't eat so much rich food. Its fun but yeah - ugh

Nice racing Aamos. And Pfriese - glad you enjoyed the Paris marathon. The company where I work is the lead sponsor. Its on my list for next year.

Karin - whoosh. Boston soon.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Quick check in.  I took the day off from running after my HM yesterday.  Tomorrow I plan to head out with a student to run 8 in the afternoon.  Today it was cloudy and damp.  Tomorrow afternoon the sun is supposed to be out!  Yes!  In other news I am going to pull the trigger and sign up to run the Cincinnati marathon.  I am looking forward to seeing Holly S. in person after reading her posts all of these years!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/