Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 9.14.14 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I haven't gone back to read the last few day's posts, so will have to reserve comments for another time - sorry.

So what have I been doing since Thursday? Mostly living in a van with 5 other people; spending some great time with people from this forum; meeting some wonderful people for the first time and getting to know them; not showering, or even having much of an opportunity to clean up; living on 1-1.5 hours of sleep from Friday morning till Saturday night; eating barely adequately; talking and laughing a lot; cheering for our teammates every chance we got; tagging other vans with Matt's most creative magnets; racing 3 times in 2 days; and having a ball! Twocat and Mariposai did a phenomenal job of organizing the Rosie Ruize Fan Club team, from working out all the logistics; to bringing fantastic stuff with which to decorate our van; designing and producing great team shirts; and keeping track of our progress every leg of the way - Major kudos to them for all they did to make the adventure a success!! It was great to spend time with them, and ever-gracious Stumpy, sweet Deeze (and her swift son), the always amusing Milk Truck, and the irrepressible Robin.

I had the shortest segments of the journey (by request, since I was the slowest on our team), but I worked my butt off, and managed a decent pace (in the 10's) in each of my 3 segments. I was getting a little fatigued by the last one, but didn't want to let my teammates down, so I stayed focused and did OK. I may have been the only racewalker in the entire Relay, and got passed by lots of runners, but also passed a few myself. DW came to the finish of my last segment (about 3-4 miles from our home), and I was glad she got to meet some of our team. It was also a treat for me to see her there.

It was a phenomenal experience that is hard to describe. Hopefully, others who took photos will post them so you can get a glimpse into what our world was for those 36 hours.

Everyone came back to our house to undecorate the vans and retrieve all their stuff for their rides home. A couple of folks also grabbed a shower. After we got a final photo and everyone said their goodbyes, I went in for a much-needed hot shower. DW made a great dinner for me last night. I was asleep by 8, and woke at close to the usual time at 4:15 this morning. This time, however, I fed the cat and then went back to sleep. I'm a little achy today, but each of those aches carries a fond memory of a glorious adventure.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

What a great recap Jay, and I'm glad you did it, had some success and enjoyed the camaraderie of that wonderful group. I'll be eager to see the pictures as they get posted.

My weekend can't compare by any means to those of you in the Relay, but it was interesting to me at least. I raced a charity 5K yesterday and like many charity runs, the people organizing it were far more deeply skilled in working for their cause than they were at race directing. Still, because it was for the good of others, no one complained.

So since I'm not complaining but being fairly good-natured about it, here is what happened:  1)  The cops made them move the starting line to way far away from the original starting spot.  My one mile split was 9:40. In my head I figured I was running just off of 8 minutes a mile. It was cool here yesterday and I felt super.  My two mile split was 7:17.  No way I can run that fast!  Three miles was 8:05 and that one was correct. But the final tenth was about 3/10 of a mile, very discouraging. Had the course been accurate, my guess is I would have been 25 minutes and small change.  As it was, I ran 27 minutes, a very poor time for me.

2) So we go to the awards ceremony and since there were only 200 runners or so, they decided to collapse all the 5 year age groups into just 3:  19 and under, 20 to 49 and 50 and over.  I got murdered and didn't win anything, although I was easily 1st in the 65-69.  But I was so happy with my race that it wasn't a big deal.  The race was called Dash for Dignity and it helps people with disabilities get jobs, a terrific organization.

Today the Saint and I went to the lake and I managed 6.75 miles very slow recovery, while she did 8. Proud of her.

Got a bit of work to do this morning, then watching the NFL, and tonight we're going out for Mexican food.  Spareribs

C-R

That sounds awesome Jay.

Great attitude Ribs but that's par for the course with you.

Got a nice 7.3 recovery today in some awesome temps. The entire family ran a 5k charity race yesterday. First one for DW in a long long long time. It was to raise funds for our middle school sports program. The best part was there must have been 500 people and 70% were kids. Patrick and I took off and we stayed in touch with the leader for most of the race. He finished 2nd and me 4th. Just couldn't make up the 3 seconds on the 3rd place lady. I ran back out to collect DW and finish with her. Funny looks as I run the course backwards. At one point someone ask if I got lost and I say "I thought this was a 10k". The looks were priceless. Caught up with DW at mile 2 and we ran/walked the rest of the way. Got a nice family group hug at the end. Had a soccer game and watched ND football downtown. Day ended around 1 am but it was really fun.

Have a great Sunday all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - that is an excellent recap, and I look forward to the pictures.

Ribs - at least you got a nice workout in...

C-R - well done to the whole family for doing the race - sounds like a great day all around.

Mostly yesterday was puttering around the house taking care of various to-dos, including spending almost an hour and a half on the phone with AT&T tech support to get the glitches out of the new services (all appears to be finally working correctly now).  We had a lovely dinner with friends last night, although I had a bit more wine than I should have.  The host had these giant wine glasses that look more like goldfish bowls - even though I only poured an inch in my glass each time he came around, the servings were bigger than I realized.  So, I am just a bit sluggish today, with more home-care duties on tap.

8.3 miles for me in 47 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

[[[[ mike and dad]]]]

.....can't wait to hear more about jay's Adventure.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

I'm glad to hear that the relay team did so well!  I'd love to do one someday, as long as it's mostly a trail race.

Mike, I hope your dad has a smooth recovery.

I thought I'd do about 20  miles today.  Some friends were planning a trail run on a trail I haven't done before, called Beaver Brook trail.  It starts up at the top of Lookout Mountain in Golden, and was supposed to be about 13 miles.  So I thought I'd get the extra miles in by parking in Golden and running up Lookout Mountain to meet them.  The trail gains about 1,200 ft in 3 miles.  It turned out the Beaver Brook trail was only 11 miles, so when I got down to Golden I only had 17 miles, but I felt like that was far enough, as it was hot down in town, and I'd done a LOT of elevation gain/loss.  Yeah, I'm a wimp.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I've been super busy this weekend but absolutely enjoyed every minute of the it. Friday night some of the classmates met at a bar for drinks to get reacquainted before the 40 year reunion on Saturday.  I ran the 10K Saturday morning, went to the awards picnic then had to race home to shower and change to ride on the float with all those "old" people.  It was a long parade so only had an hour to change, then the soiree began. What a fun night it was to see old friends and aquaintances. This picture of me (wearing red & black, the school colors) and the gang is for Tet since he specifically asked. I will post a race report when I get a chance.

I ran the lake this morning before church, went to a historical program about the Chatauquas that were held from 1906-1930 here in town, the we went to the garden, harvested the tomatoes and peppers and made salsa. It was a Holly sort of weekend and I am tired.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

i just got home after another busy day...which included a 2 hour run...managed 14.2 miles.

Starr...that was nice of you to do that for tet.  So...were you always the prettiest girl in the class?

Okay--I gotta get to bed...I have a feeling this next week is going to be just as hectic.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks Starr. you are the best of all of them.

Our HS colors were scarlet-and-black.

Scarlet-and-black

These are the colors we will back.

Sisboom BAh, Sis Boom Bah

our high school team, rah, rah rrah.

However, what the parade deal?

We have a float too but have done our reunions over the Fourth-of-July,

Great recaps JAn and Ribs.

I have a feeling a lot runners are going to learn some valuable life lessons

if it gets refined into the News.

26.2 miles in 7:05 or so in the Tunnel Lite Marathon version of the July Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel MArathon.  After a 6:35 marathon in Jjuly on about 50 miles of running in the previous six months, I was thinking this Tunnel might be a last chance to slip under the six hour barrier as had last happened right here in July 2012.  Maybe it was the last vchance but instead of because it happened, because it did not happen. However, that didn't stop it from being one of the best of eight times I've run that course, especiallly when this brearded speedster zipped by from his regular start and said, "hi tet," in a strange accent.  I told him to bring Opie next time. Compued to puking all the way last time, he thought he'd have a better recommendation for Opie this time. Good Jjob Paul!   .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

pfriese

26.2 miles in 7:05 or so in the Tunnel Lite Marathon version of the July Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel MArathon.  After a 6:35 marathon in July on about 50 miles of running in the previous six months, I was thinking this Tunnel might be a last chance to slip under the six hour barrier as had last happened right here in July 2012.  Maybe it was the last chance but instead of because it happened, because it did not happen. However, that didn't stop it from being one of the best of eight times I've run that course, especiallly when this bearded speedster zipped by from his regular start and said, "hi tet," in a strange accent.  I told him to bring Opie next time. Compued to puking all the way last time, he thought he'd have a better recommendation for Opie this time. Good Job Paul!   .

Nice to see you out there today Tet. It sure did get warm after that cold start, so I ended slowing up around mile 19. Still a beautiful day for a marathon.

Paul

mta: I'll work on getting Opie up there for it sometime.

thanks Starr. you are the best of all of them.

Our HS colors were scarlet-and-black.

Scarlet-and-black

These are the colors we will back.

Sisboom BAh, Sis Boom Bah

our high school team, rah, rah rrah.

However, what the parade deal?

We have a float too but have done our reunions over the Fourth-of-July,

Great recaps JAn and Ribs.

I have a feeling a lot runners are going to learn some valuable life lessons

if it gets refined into the News.

26.2 miles in 7:05 or so in the Tunnel Lite Marathon version of the July Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel MArathon.  After a 6:35 marathon in Jjuly on about 50 miles of running in the previous six months, I was thinking this Tunnel might be a last chance to slip under the six hour barrier as had last happened right here in July 2012.  Maybe it was the last vchance but instead of because it happened, because it did not happen. However, that didn't stop it from being one of the best of eight times I've run that course, especiallly when this brearded speedster zipped by from his regular start and said, "hi tet," in a strange accent.  I told him to bring Opie next time. Compued to puking all the way last time, he thought he'd have a better recommendation for Opie this time. Good Jjob Paul!   .

Tet, it sounds like you had fun at the marathon, saw Paul and I am sure many others you know. Sorry you didn't get the sub-six hour time. Maybe next year.

The parade is held every year in Worthington, part of a week celebrating King Turkey Days since we are (were) the turkey capital of the world. We have our live turkey race the live turkey from Cuero, TX who also claim to hold this title.  The first Turkey Day was in 1939 and was actually started by my grandfather, E.O. Olson.  He intruduced turkey farming to this area and expanded his creamery and produce business which he later sold to Swanson & Sons, a Campbell's soup plant.  The web site has a few pictures .   Kingturkeyday.net

Mike, hope your dad has a quick recovery and, um, no, that would be Pam, 3rd from the left in the front, she's the cutie.

Jay, what awesome race times you had! The pictures look great.

Ribs, that was crummy of the cops to disorganized the race like that. Was there a reason? I guess cops don't need a reason.

C-R, the family 5K sounds like a blast, way to go!

Holly, I detest those tech support calls, but sometimes they are necessary and do torn out successfully,,,, eventually.  I haven't had any alcohol since June 18, 2012 but distinctly remember how awful I felt 10 years ago the morning after our 30th reunion. Oh my, and I had a meeting at 7am at church with the Pastor and worship directors and leaders.   I started running that very week!

wildchild, yes, I think 17 miles is enough too! I too would love to be on a relay, but don't know about your kind of trails, yikes.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  It's still Sunday somewhere, right Erika, wild, Tammy Leslie?.....prelim reports on the relay are enticing, looking forward to more.

Hope your dad recovers rapidly, Mike, and of course,  the best get well wishes to your gran, CNY.

Did Tag get any colorz, Steve?

CR you are getting zoomier!  And Starr is getting prettier with every photo.   Tet, nice running and commentary,,

6.5 recovery miles at around 4 pm on a weather perfect day in VA just outside DC.  Homemade spanakopita for supper out on the patio.

To bed with me as I am up before dawn.  Going to be a teaching assistant in my college roomie's class Monday.   8th grade science.  Send good vibes, the kids will need them.

Saw a good play last night,  "Gidion's Knot. "  It will be in Dallas soon, Ribs.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

SteveP

(((((Mike's Dad)))))

Wow, Jay. It sounds like a greta weekend living in a van down by the river.

That sounds perfect C-R

Yeah, I'm a wimp.

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

Your weekend sounds fun Starr.

You are amazing, Tet.

Hi Paul.

Amy, Tag did let a 3 year old get yellow on him. Other than that, he was skittish. He didn't care for the B-A-T-H as soon as we got home.

We got a call from a local newspaper regarding Saturday's Color Run. The fella was asking about Noah and Tag. Who cares about the guy forking over the entry fees or who busts his hump to pay off a monthly tab skyrocketing out of control at the ice cream store while a self entitled mutt lays on the couch watching TV all day?

DW, Self Entitled Mutt and I put in a couple of trail miles.

SteveP