Masters Running

Thursday July 23 Runs and Stuff (Read 35 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

5.4 miles for me this morning in 61 degrees, followed by 60 weighted squats.

Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Here's hoping for a good and quick recovery for your friend, Holly.  And what Hermosaboy said.  Hope it's a bitch.

Just a tad over 5 miles for me.  Gorgeous morning at 63° and not much humidity.  Not quite as quick, but the last couple miles ended up a little faster than the first.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Mornin'

Taper toddles on....just 3.1 sluggy miles this am.   And no squats, not even unweighted ones. 

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

HermosaBoy

Morning...

6.25 sweaty miles trying to recover from my 5k last night.  Kind of a MEH race.  Overall, not disappointed with the time, but when my last 1.1 miles are at the slowest pace, I am always a bit disappointed.  Great first 2 miles though...

Still waiting on a job offer -- another callback interview tomorrow.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

King of PhotoShop

How come Holly started the daily? Not sure if I voted for her or not. But okay I guess.  Seriously Holly, hope your friend recovers all right.  Horrible story.

Rob, the good news is you are still in play.  Now don't just wait for that offer. Keep writing and calling so your "pipeline" is always full.

Joke for TW to use as he sees fit:  Guy goes in the hospital for minor surgery on his feet.  Wakes up and the doc tells him, "I've got some good news and some bad news." Guy says, "Give me the bad news first." Doc says, "Your feet were way worse than I thought. I had to amputate both of them."  Guy says, "Oh no!  That's terrible!  What is the good news?"  Doc says, "Guy in the next bed wants to buy your slippers."

Okay, not so funny, but you hang in there TW.  We're thinking of you.

3.2 recovery miles today and although my legs are tired, I felt pretty good.

Hudson gets his wisdom teeth extracted today so is off work until Sunday at the earliest.  I'll be home with him during his recovery and expect him to be in some pain.  I'm thinking making his pasta, scrambled eggs, ice cream sandwiches, popsicles.  He doesn't like soup. Anybody else have suggestions?  Spareribs

Holly, most drivers were courteous in Ohio last week -- maybe because they're used to waiting behind buggies -- but there were a few (always pickups!) who passed intentionally closely. I saw the news story about your friend and hope that she recovers and that they find the guilty party. Isn't this the case where they found a passenger-side mirror? That should help identify a specific make/model/color.

Well, our years of peace and quiet in the afternoons and evenings on our back patio have come to a literally shrieking end . A young family with three kids moved in next door and are using the pool extensively, with various invitees and general chaos. However, that's pretty much kids excitedly jumping into the pool and nothing we can complain about for a suburban subdivision. But another house whose yard backs up near ours has a constant group of sometimes 6 or 8 preschool-age kids whose idea of playing outside means running around full steam while shrieking at the top of their (well-developed) lungs! It is so distracting that a few times we've turned on the A/C just so we could close the windows and block out the screaming. I'm not really sure who all actually lives there, or are related, or if they're running an unofficial day-care facility or something.

As for running, I would have run a couple more tenths if I'd known I could beat Holly. Ran 5.2 fairly steamy miles at an EZ pace on the Paint Creek Trail. Having trouble connected with running partners lately (vacations, injuries, etc.), so ran it solo while listening to podcasts.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Holly - My prayers are with your friend and her family and that they find whoever ran into her.

Ribs - Get packs of frozen peas to put on his face.  They mold easily the area and will help keep down any swelling.  If he's getting both sides done, get 4 packs and you can rotate them.  How about yogurt smoothies?

TW - Wishing you the best with your upcoming surgery.  You're going to be a new man!  PIckles won't know what to do with you. 

I got in a 45 min stat bike ride with 2 x 3 min hard, then I threw in a 1 x 2 min hard.  Followed that up with about 30 min of core/ST.  It felt good to sweat like a freaking pig.

Last night I had a really good 5-mile run at the McKay.  Helped to clear my head.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.  It really does help knowing all of you are supporting me.  I can't tell you how much it means to me.

Have a fantastic day ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good Morning!

followed by 60 weighted squats.

Happy Thursday!

...Dat'sa BUNCHA Squats///////

.........thanks ribbs//.......everybody loves a good Foot Amputation Joke.........

from a Famous Runner

(Henny Youngman)

Man goes in

and his doctor tells him he only had 6-months to live.

When

the doctor found out

he couldn't pay his bill

he gave him another 6-months

============

but I digress........

strangely enough

22-min xbike standing,

I have no idea why this doesn't cripple me up,

but the hip likes it just fine

..........good running guys...................fatozzig//......Pickles actually doesn't know what to do with me now

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Starr, loved the pictures, especially the grandkids.  tet, you're having great grandson quality time.  fatozzig, my thoughts are with you and your family about your father.  Hermosa, my fingers are crossed for the job prospect.  Holly, what a dreadful accident for your friend.  My thoughts are with her and her family.  On a more upbeat note, I'm glad to hear your husband is back home.  ribs, I hope Hudson's tooth extraction and recovery go well.

Nice long runs for mari and Mike.  Good job on the speedwork for CNY and Hermosa.

This morning, it was in the high 50s and almost calm.  I got in 10 miles at an 11:51 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Holly S. like many others have said, I too hope your friend fully recovers and that they catch the driver.

fatozzig best wishes to you as you deal with your dad's medical problems.

HermosaBoy I am going to second everything Spareribs wrote!  Good luck with nailing an offer in the near future.  But keep all of your irons in the fire!

Mariposai word on the street, well maybe Bluetooth, is that your cake sold for a pretty penny!

I nearly joined Holly S.'s friend today.  A flat bed pickup nearly flattened me during my run today.   People seem to decide, should I kill the guy or slow down and let traffic and the runner pass safely the answer seems to be kill the guy far too often!  The trick is to run with brass knuckles that have spikes on them.  If the driver thought hitting me would scratch his paint job, rather than just get the car a little bloody, I bet I would get a lot more clearance.  In any case, I finished my first 20 mile run of this training cycle.  Slow, slow, slow however.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...actually twocat,

I used to run carrying my car keys to hold out when getting ''buzzed'' by drivers,,,,,,,,,,,,they do value their paintjobs over us,,,

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

Unfortunately, I get all too much of cars (and yes, usually trucks) passing way too close in the winter when I'm on the road because the bike paths aren't plowed. At least in the summer and fall I have the paths and trails so stay off the road on most runs. Holly, I can't say enough how sorry I am about your friend's accident and hope the bastard who hit her is brought to justice (whether Karma is involved or not). Just infuriates and saddens me so much.

tomwhite is a good sport. Foot amputation jokes notwithstanding, I do hope things go well and you're able to get on with life without pain. By the way, what is the xbike? (other than something autocorrect really doesn't like)

And look at TSelbs putting in such a good long run!

Doug, we live in a more rural area with 2-3 acre lots and lots of trees, and we have similar issues. Not so much screaming kids anymore (a few years ago, yes) but motorbikes/dirt bikes tearing up the roads and nearby trails. They just tear through the peaceful evening like claws on a blackboard. Four-wheelers, too. It's really gotten beyond nuts. Now we have a neighbor up the hill with goats and chickens, so we have screaming kids of a different kind! They're pretty funny though, although I could do without the damn rooster in the morning!

{{Leslie}} Definitely get a second opinion on your dad. Nobody should have to go through that.

Yay for Enke (on the relay and the BF), Yay for Tet (on the quality GS time and upcoming marathon), Yay for Starr with such adorable GC pictures, Yay for Hermosaboy on the positive interviews...  yes keep that pipeline full! All so much to comment on. I haven't been very active here lately, just too damn busy. I have been running though. After the 16+ mile hilly monster run in the rain on Sunday, I got in an easy 5+ miler on Monday, 5.5 miles of hills run fast and hard on Tuesday, and yesterday's 10.1 mile run home from work on rolling hills with a headwind. So much for a modified taper this week! Oh well, I feel good and ready for the Gold Discovery Run on Sunday. Now just hoping the weather forecast isn't right and we don't get rain till after it's over. I think a week of sunny days with no rain should help that trail be runnable without the huge puddles to go around that we had last year. It doesn't take much rain for those old torn up mining roads to turn into muddy pools! All I want is a good run Sunday morning. After that it can rain for days for all I care (and it just might!).

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy,

I've been reading, but haven't had much to say.  Looks like some good running and biking and job hunting and grandkid time going on!

Enke, so happy for you and Mr. BE BF!

Leslie, good luck with your dad.  Hope he gets tested to see what's up.

Holly, I hope your friend recovers okay!  That's scary!  I'm guessing the driver was drunk, because a sober driver probably wouldn't have hit her in the first place, and probably would have stopped if they did.

Doug, sorry about the noisy neighbors!  One of the things I love about living on 35 acres in the middle of nowhere - very quiet here.

I'm kind of tapering, because I'm pacing a friend at the Never Summer 100k on Saturday.  I'm pacing from miles 39 to 64 (25 miles) plus it's a 5 mile hike to the aid station where I'm meeting her.  She runs about my pace (slow!) and I expect we'll end way after dark, so it should be an adventure!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - good point!

Roch - you are correct, a witness said it was a red Toyota truck, and hitting Julie apparently knocked off the right mirror.  I hope they catch the person.

Erika - hoping for a good race for you.

TomWhite - I am very excited for your surgery, and hoping for a wondrous recovery.

Ribs - DS was not particularly limited after his wisdom teeth came out, although I made him grilled cheese sandwiches on soft bread for lunch after, with tomato soup, of course (sorry your DS doesn't like soup).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

That is a lot of squats, Holly.  Weighted or not.  And I, too, hope your friend recovers quickly.

It sounds like you're running well, stumpy.

Amy--what are you tapering for again?

Nice job, last night, HermosaBoy...I wish I could still run those times that are "MEH" to you.

Ribs--when I first read your post, I thought that was a weird sandwich to be making...but a pasta, scrambled egg, ice cream sandwich might be kind of good.

It's a good thing you don't live in my neighborhood, roch.  Debbie's daycare kids scream all day long.  That's one of the reasons I go into work when I'm sick...it's a whole lot more quiet.

Nice workout, today, Leslie.  How did your phone call go?

tomwhite--you are hilarious...and Ribs is lucky you have a great sense of humor.  Although...I have to admit it...I laughed pretty hard when I read it.

Yes--Tom--very nice 10 miler!

Hey Twocat--nice 20 miler for you.  I'm glad you didn't get hit by a truck.  I wonder how that compares to running in the rain.

It sounds like you're ready for your race, Erika.  You sure have a lot of those coming up.

Hey, wild--when are you going to create that cross country course on your land?  That would be so cool.  Have fun pacing your friend!

I did 7 miles in 54:06, tonight.

So, I was taken out to lunch by a tool supplier, yesterday.  I hate "business lunches".  I had to sit there and pretend to be interested in hearing about the latest and greatest nail guns he wants to sell us.  Luckily, my bosses brother was with us so he was doing most of the talking while I peaked over their shoulders at the big screen TV.  But what really got me was--here was a seasoned carpenter and a sales rep for nails and nail guns--and they kept referring to the size of nails as 16 "d" and 10 "d" and on and on.  I wanted to scream--"It's PENNY!  The "d" stands for PENNY!"  I thought I owed it to my 9th grade wood shop teacher, Mr. Hoenstien, to correct them...but I just kept eating my pulled pork sandwich and watched ESPN.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!