Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 4.27.14 (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' friends!

I know I won't have time to post later today, so I thought I'd get to it early.

Huge CONGRATS to Mariposai for organizing a successful half, running it, fielding 21 phone calls along the way, and still winning your age group! Did you have to give yourself your award? Will you be posting photos???

I'm thinking of looking into the VB6 diet too - my cholesterol is decent, but I want to keep the numbers in a good range. But I really don't want to be losing any weight - I'm where I've been for a long time, and where I should be.

Congrats on your diet success too, Mike, and especially for using it to get off Zocor. (BTW, I like the B&B wine cooler...)

Nice exploration trail run, Lamerunner.

Good progress, Dave - keep up the good work.

Nice run with the group, Jlynne, and congrats to your sister for giving it a go. Good luck to DS on his house hunt. How does the paint look?

Nice 8-miler in the wind, Tselbes.

Aamos, I'm not familiar with Therese Iknoian, but a review I read of her book, "Walking Fast" looks pretty good. Jeff Salavge has a lot of videos and books available on racewalking, as well as a lot of information on his web site. Nice 22.5 mi. jaunt yesterday - you're going to nail that baby ultra next weekend!

Welcome back, CNY - nice sports day on the couch yesterday. You certainly have earned a break!

Tet said "any excuse is good enough to run with the goddesses, especially in the orchards." I concur. I like your thoughts/observations on the "Streakers" too.

Nice coffee table, Steve!

Nice runs, WC. I can't believe you still have snow in the forecast!

Welcome back, TW! I hope you had a restful/restorative vacation. Sorry about the sunburn, and the paperwork ahead. There's always a price to pay...

Nice run and bike workouts, Starr. You and Mr. Starr are doing great on your diets! It seems the "cooked" steaks help keep the portion sizes down even further...

Welcome home, Troy. Sorry about the bug.

So, I still have to have breakfast and pack my bag for today's half. There is a chance of rain in the forecast, so I have to pack for wet or dry. I also have to pack something to eat after the race, since I can't count on there being any GF food there. It felt like I was awake more than sleeping last night, but I don't think that will be much of a factor once the excitement of being at the race kicks in. My foot has calmed down, but is still a little wonky; I'm going to do my best to ignore it unless it starts barking at me. The last mile or so of this race is downhill, which is great for you runner-types, but racewalking downhill is hard, and is when there will be the most pressure on my foot. So, in short, who the heck knows what I am going to be able to do out there today? This is not a goal race, so if I can get under 2:30, I'll be satisfied, and if I can get close to 2:26 I may even smile a bit.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay//.............let's just say I'm Probably Glad I took the vacation.........

=========

.........40-min bikeride........didn't fall off, which counts as A Win.......

........................good running guys.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

Good morning Jay and tomwhite.

I am still basking in the huge success we had on the inaugural Orchards in Bloom race yesterday.

Here is  a link to the video my other son Brandon did for us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCYtPsqL-MU

Another lovely spring morning in Okanogan county. The Easy Pacer, Dievechief, Enkie and I are getting ready to go to the 1 mile and 5k Hoofin and Woofin fun run that is taking place today. This is our back to back race weekend here in Omak. This race benefits the local animal shelter.

My butterfly wings are happy having Dievechief, Enkie here.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

I love that Mariposai.  Always so upbeat and competent.  And I'm glad she had a good race too.

I also take back all the good things I said about Tet and how you can spell anything any way you like. He's back to cyber-bullying me again.

No motivation to run today. Walked a lap at the park and drove home. Then I Doggo-walked a mile with Lucy.  (She can run a quarter mile and stay right with me, but then she bails and has to walk. so that's the Gallo-walk translation.)

Nice job Aamos on the LR! Tomorrow my DMN post goes up and I've included the pic of the Boston crowd with their jackets tied around their waists. In the caption I cited Amy and her 2nd AG finish.  I'll post it here tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow!! It will be a worse day than the surgery as it's clear liquids day, then an enema in the morning.  Ha Ha!  Spareribs

Mike E

MM #5615

Good luck with everything, Ribs.  Yeah...somebody should do something about tet.

Posie--congratulations on a great event.  I wish I could view that video...it says it's not allowed to show it.

I hope Jay finds some time, today, to tell us how his half marathon went.

After moving my brother al day...then visiting my dad at the VA hospital...I was wiped out when I got home, yesterday.  So I let DW talk me into going out for dinner instead of going for a run.  She didn't have to try very hard.

Right now it is raining...big drops.  The wind is blowing...hard.  It is cold...very cold.  I have to run 8 miles...have I ever told you how much I love my treadmill?

Okay--gotta run.  Ha Ha ...get it?  I'm going running and I said "gotta run."  Oh...you, probably, got it...

So happy for you Posai!!  Sounds like a great weekend!!

So.....I almost became a member of the Marathon Maniacs but then I let doubt and common sense take over.  I dont know why I didnt think of it earlier this week, then it would have made sense.  We had a local inaugural marathon take place today - basically in the next town over.  I should have planned on doing it nice and easy then would have had 2 marathons back to back weekends.  It was drizzly when I woke up at 5:30 and I started thinking about how much time I've been away from home and the baby lately and that I have to work 12 hour shifts the next 3 days and that it would probably take me another 4 1/2 -5 hours to run and just decided to roll over and stay in bed!!  Of course, now I wish I went but I ran an easy 6.2 miles after the rain pushing Maria in the stroller (not so easy).

Have a wonderful Sunday my friends - maniacs and the not so maniacal!! 

denise

pfriese

Nicely done Mariposai, congratulations.

OKC Memorial Half Marathon for me this morning. 1:54:28. I didn't think it was going to start with a severe thunderstorm that moved through just before the start. They delayed the start for `2 hours until after the storms moved through. We hung out in downtown parking garages to avoid the lightning and hail. When we were finally able to move back out on the street to the starting area, I saw Tim (way5on, I think that was his nick) from cool running days. Had a nice visit with him before the start. After we finally got started it was muggy  with the wind at our backs for the first 6 miles, then the sun came out for the real deal of heat & humidity. I sure was glad I was only doing the half as it will be brutal for the marathoners as the temperatures and wind increases. I was shooting for a sub 1:53,but am very happy with a sub 1:55. All in all a good morning for a late April half marathon in Oklahoma.

Paul

Mike E

MM #5615

Speaking of cute grand babies...

Was somebody speaking about cute grand babies?

C-R

Thanks for the review Jay. I've been out of touch in here for a bit due to work travel. So many good stories especially Posai! Yay.

Good luck ribs and my dogs do the same thing so I just take them for walks now.

Tets a cyber bully? Oh my. Didnt see that coming. I remember someone said this was a dangerous group but I'm not sure. So please don't bully me Tet.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike - those grandkids are adorable!  Do you know which is which?   Hope you have a good TM run.  Days like this, I might not mind a TM run much - it's cold and windy here, too, with light snow.  But since I don't have a TM, I'm taking a rest day.

Deez,  to be a Maniac, you can still do a marathon next weekend!

Paul, nice HM today!  Hope Jay's was fun also.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Speaking of tomorrow!! It will be a worse day than the surgery as it's clear liquids day, then an enema in the morning.  Ha Ha!  Spareribs

(((Ribs)))

Mariposai - what a great day!

Paul - great racing!

Jay - I hope you had a great race today!

Mike - those babies are adorable!

No run for me today, since I spent the weekend in Columbus with my DS and his classmates at the JSA (Junior Statesman of America) convention.  We just got home after dropping some other kids off, and now it's time to unpack, do laundry, and start dinner.  How quickly the weekend flew by....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning Jay and tomwhite.

I am still basking in the huge success we had on the inaugural Orchards in Bloom race yesterday.

Here is  a link to the video my other son Brandon did for us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCYtPsqL-MU

Another lovely spring morning in Okanogan county. The Easy Pacer, Dievechief, Enkie and I are getting ready to go to the 1 mile and 5k Hoofin and Woofin fun run that is taking place today. This is our back to back race weekend here in Omak. This race benefits the local animal shelter.

My butterfly wings are happy having Dievechief, Enkie here.

I noticed a LOT of people with jackets tied around their waists in this video.  Did you collect the fines?

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mike, huh, this isn't a forum about grandkids?

I may not run that much anymore but I always love grandkids, especially barefoot.

When I told my grandson I liked his bare feet, he said, "it's not bear feet, it's people feet."

Oh no, C-R, I so didn't want it to happen this way but, in spite of your clever ruse, we all know what CR really stands for (such as paul's half mary post reveals) and i think you know very well what happens to spies (or should I mention the names of some still-missing posters from the CR past ?).  However, otherwise, you seem to be a nice guy so I can only recommend that ribs give you a deferred sentence for good behavior.  Maybe a good lawyer who still believes in innocent-until-proven-guilty can accept your case if need be in the future.  <<<(aamosamy)>>>.

Tets a cyber bully? Oh my. Didnt see that coming. I remember someone said this was a dangerous group but I'm not sure. So please don't bully me Tet.

hey deez, don’t take it bad
                            take a missed run and make it better
                            Remember you can run it again
                            Then you can be a maniac too.
                            And any time you feel the pain
                            Hey Deez, refrain
                            Don't carry the world upon your shoulder

For well you know that it's a fool
                            Who plays it cool
                            By making her world a little better

Hey deez, don’t be afraid
                            You were made to be a maniac
                            The minute you let it under your skin
                            then you begin to make it better, better, better, better, better . . . .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

After moving my brother al day...then visiting my dad at the VA hospital...I was wiped out when I got home, yesterday.  So I let DW talk me into going out for dinner instead of going for a run.  She didn't have to try very hard.

Right now it is raining...big drops.  The wind is blowing...hard.  It is cold...very cold.  I have to run 8 miles...have I ever told you how much I love my treadmill?

Okay--gotta run.  Ha Ha ...get it?  I'm going running and I said "gotta run."  Oh...you, probably, got it...

You crack me up. Glad that DW got you to go out to dinner. I admire you for running on the TM, I just cannot do it, never, no never. One mile the other night was about all I could do.  So,,, My 9 miler was outside.  After church I stashed a half bottle of water by a streetlight then went home do get ready.  I dressed in my fleece, hat, headband and gloves. With the wicked wind of the east at 30mph it was chilly but actually better than the 70° last Sunday.  I was glad that the campground bathroom was open at mile 7.  I called MrStarr to let him know I was OK (in case he was worried), well he thought I would be gone another two hours! Sheesh!

To get to nine miles I had to run past my house and do a u-turn. That was tough mentally, but I am glad I did it. No walking at all and the pace is getting better.  I splurged and had a cup of yogurt and then made my protein shake with soy milk, yum!  Oh, I came across a discarded bra and a beer bottle on the path. There must be a story there somewhere.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Those grand babies are awesome! I laughed out loud when I saw the photo Mike.... Awesome!

I didn't race today and ran an easy 6 miles at 9:00 pace instead. Legs are coming back, but still a bit cranky.

Come this way for the Holyoke Marathon on 5/4 Deez and you can still get the Maniac status. The kiddo and I will be at our mile 24 water station as per usual.

Hope the half went well Jay and the foot behaved.

Welcome back TW!