Masters Running

Wednesday 04.27.16 (and one more Boston RR) (Read 35 times)

New skirt in town

I get to start the daily!

4 slow miles, my first post-Boston run (other than running through the airports during my travels to Costa Rica!).  It felt creaky and slow, but not uncomfy.  I had hoped to get some short runs in during my trip to CR, but...The heat! The beach! The HILLS! The hills especially--I wasn't prepared for just how difficult it was to even walk and hike up and down the steep inclines where we were.

Boston was a great experience for me this year. I felt great about my training, and was primed for a BQ. The race day weather had another idea, tho, and 67F at the start made for slow going. I just love this course and the crowds, and I enjoyed the day so much.  I did have some dry heaving and GI distress off and on from about mile 15-21, but then just as I passed over Heartbreak Hill, we runners could feel the cool ocean breezes blowing in off of the ocean!  The temps dropped literally by 10F, and even though it was a headwind, it was such welcome air conditioning.  My last 5 miles felt terrific! I missed my BQ, but felt great.

At the finish, I ran and grabbed my drop bag, put on some sweatshirt layers (it had gotten cold at this point!) and then ran back to the finish to cheer on my teammates.  I was there for a good 1.5 hours, so much fun!  The finishers each had a story, and it was amazing to watch the spectrum of emotions as they crossed the finish!  I met up with David Brown there (some of you from the Boston area might remember him as the WCVB meteorologist for years!).  He now works with the Mass Assoc. for the Blind and Visually Impaired. He has run Boston a few times, but this year he was here to cheer on his MABVI runners and their sighted guides.  So inspiring!  We were both cheering on our respective teams.

My Melanoma Foundation team raised nearly $380,000...not only did they all finish strong, but they did amazing fundraising. I'm so proud to be a part of this group!  I'm definitely running and mentoring the team with them again next year.

In the meantime, I've signed up for the Baystate Marathon in October to try to reclaim my BQ. I know it's in there somewhere!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Dave59

Seems like Boston wold be tough for the people who start so late in the morning. The sun gets up high in the sky and at full strength before you start. I don't think I would enjoy that.

I ran 2.5 this morning. It was raining a little so I went to the pond at the park and ran around it until I was as wet as I wanted to be.

I continue to get tingling/numbness that comes and goes. During the run today it was in my right forearm and hand. It felt like I had hit my funny bone. It is gone now but it probably will come and go. I got the feeling in my hand yesterday when I stood up after sitting for a while.  Unless it gets worse I am going to wait until my already scheduled doctor's appointment next week to have it checked. I don't think it is worth making a special appointment.

It's probably from a stupid core workout I recently started, especially the planks. I was reading that if you try to hold them too long that you can really stress your back.  Like trying to press a bunch of blocks together between your hands tight enough to hold up a row of them.

Marathon Maniac #957

Seems like Boston wold be tough for the people who start so late in the morning. The sun gets up high in the sky and at full strength before you start. I don't think I would enjoy that.

I agree, especially on a day that is already warm.  Robin - well done on the race and on the fundraising for a great cause!

Dave - I hope that resolves itself and goes away.

After I got all my seeds planted in my garden Monday evening, we had a nice soaking rain yesterday, with more today - great timing to get my seedlings started.  Now I just need to get my fence around it so my dogs don't tromple the sprouts when they come up.

6 miles for me this morning on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ROBIN - what a great start to the morning with a BB report and all the comments already and to come from veterans and pretenders alike who also revere Boston and those who run it, especially you showing how the fun part can overshadow missing BQ and other goals, dry heaves, GI distress, heat, cold, etc. Thank you Robin!   Keep having fun.
          RUN - another two morning miles along the lakeside to Mary’s Falls.
          GS LUNCH - with today’s meetings over by noon,
          I get to join GS for his school lunch.  I doubt it
          but I’ll see if he and his classmates can find me
          in the first grade class picture from 1949
          I copied at last weekend’s 55th HS reunion.

ps - is jay stuck at some early morning meeting?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Robin - sorry to hear of the GI issues and dry heaves!  Amazing what you marathoners push through!

Dave - sounds like a little pinchy thing going on in your spine.  Do some different activities and I bet it will resolve.

Tet - have fun with GS!

Just three miles this morning before a dental cleaning.  My top teeth have gotten a bit chipped over the years.  I had a night guard made a few years ago, but couldn't stand wearing it as it would irritate my gums near the back and they always felt infected/inflammed.  Well, I am going to get some bonding done as the wear and tear is getting worse on the top and bottom front teeth, and start wearing the guard again.  I bet all of you find this fascinating.....

Anyway, back to my run.  I wore these new shoes I got on sale.  Asics, not sure what model, but they looked bright pink on the computer when I ordered them and I was not that thrilled at all about the colour, but the price was right, you know?  Turns out they are actually bright orangey-coral?  Which is a *slight* relief.  First time I have ordered size 10.5, a half size bigger than I have ever worn, but they felt great!

Since I can't figure out how to do splits/intervals on my new Garmin FR25, I decided I would have to do mile intervals.  So I did the middle mile faster - only 9:38 pace but it felt easy.  Easy from a cardio perspective, not easy from the legs.  I need to drop 10 pounds and start some tempo runs.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Afternoon!     Enke, you made me think of the recent New Yorker cartoon contest:

I'll put the winning caption at the bottom, but I bet you can figure it out!

Just ran 4 easy last night BEFORE Speedsters, then did my last mile with them as they ran a warm up mile, so exercising prudence.  Then just 6+ easy this morning over to Lakes Park.  Beautiful red/pink sky this morning.  Yup, it may rain a bit this afternoon, but what a morning!

Hoping to get in a long run this weekend.  Did you know it's only 3 weeks from then until the great Badger State Bash?

Congrats on the excellent fund raising, Dr. T and good luck at Baystate.  Except if you need a BQ, you need it before October, but you know that right?  I only mention it because a running friend here, who is from Cohasset, has run Boston a number of times, and has a responsible job was just chatting with me and another runner Saturday, mentioning how he didn't get his BQ at Boston so he'll have to do it at Chicago, which he is running.  But which is in October.  So we pointed that out, which was a good thing, as he is now signed up for Erie, in September.

I just started  trying planks, Dave.  They are kinda boring, but I think I could feel some muscles talking back a bit the other day.  I hope so.  The numbness sounds disconcerting.  Don't forget to mention it to the doc, ok?

Well, if you're noticing the Boston folks are not posting early, yessirree, there's a reason ---and 11 more!!!!

Holly, I gave my boss some heirloom seeds, tomato and those decorative jack-o-lanterns.  She's a very good gardener, even writes a blog about it.   Are you worried at all about frost?

Hope our Texas conference goers and residents are ok with the storms.  Doesn't sound good in OK.  And hello Carolyn, wherever you are out there, you stay away from those storms too, if you are reading this lady.

tet--my friend from here who moved to Yakima put a little Florida kitsch in her yard.  Of course, a few plastic pink flamingos. 

grins, enjoy the slide to the weekend from here!

A

grins,

A

"I told my ex I'll take her back if she drops some weight."
              Submitted by Tyler Stradling, Mesa, Ariz.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

New skirt in town

You are right, I would need a BQ before September if I were using it to get a number for Boston. BUT, even when I have had a BQ time, I always run for the Melanoma Foundation and do the fundraising.  It would be nice to not have to use up one of their bib numbers, but I just don't think I can take the time off to get to a September Marathon.  I *like* to run Boston with a BQ time because it is a point of pride for me, but my getting a number is not dependent on it. So, Baystate it is...

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - funny!  And I am not worried about frost, given the LR forecast, and generally that by the time we are in May, we are past that.  But I do have a couple of tarps I could throw out if necessary.

Portland Runners - go to the thread and tell us how many nights you plan to stay that weekend.  I would really like to get a rental figured out pretty soon, as I expect they will book up quickly.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I gave running a shot this morning. Total of 5 miles on the TM. Lobotomy complete. Post run no pain. So far so good this evening as well. If all is good, the same will be true tomorrow. Speaking, or writing of tomorrow, my DW and I head down to San Antonio! That is the good news. The bad news is thunderstorms are forecast for our whole trip.  Nature is really getting under my skin!

rtravers your raising money for the foundation come BQ or not is very admirable of you. I hope they recognize all you have done for them.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Once again, so great reading on the daily. so little time to respond. I had a 13 hour day today.

I did run 5 miles today, plus an awesome mile break walk and the sun was shining.

Looking forward to having the Russmussen's over for a 4 day weekend in our necks of the woods from Japan!!!

YEahhhhh. Love RA family get together!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Boston was a great experience for me this year. I felt great about my training, and was primed for a BQ. The race day weather had another idea, tho, and 67F at the start made for slow going. I just love this course and the crowds, and I enjoyed the day so much.  I did have some dry heaving and GI distress off and on from about mile 15-21, but then just as I passed over Heartbreak Hill, we runners could feel the cool ocean breezes blowing in off of the ocean!  The temps dropped literally by 10F, and even though it was a headwind, it was such welcome air conditioning.  My last 5 miles felt terrific! I missed my BQ, but felt great.

At the finish, I ran and grabbed my drop bag, put on some sweatshirt layers (it had gotten cold at this point!) and then ran back to the finish to cheer on my teammates.  I was there for a good 1.5 hours, so much fun!  The finishers each had a story, and it was amazing to watch the spectrum of emotions as they crossed the finish!  I met up with David Brown there (some of you from the Boston area might remember him as the WCVB meteorologist for years!).  He now works with the Mass Assoc. for the Blind and Visually Impaired. He has run Boston a few times, but this year he was here to cheer on his MABVI runners and their sighted guides.  So inspiring!  We were both cheering on our respective teams.

My Melanoma Foundation team raised nearly $380,000...not only did they all finish strong, but they did amazing fundraising. I'm so proud to be a part of this group!  I'm definitely running and mentoring the team with them again next year.

--Robin

Hi Robin,

This is another great read. Thank you for sharing. Sounds like a tough race for you this year but, I know you have had better and will have better yet!  You are very strong to have been able to overcome the obstacles in your path this time around.

And thank you for raising money for the Melanoma Foundation (see private message). Your fundraising total is outstanding!

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you