Masters Running

Saturday - 1/16/16 (Read 34 times)

Dave59

Good morning folks. What's up?

According to https://www.checkiday.com/ there are lots of holidays today.

- Appreciate a Dragon Day! 
    - Book Publishers Day!
    - International Hot and Spicy Food Day! 
    - National Fig Newton Day! 
    - National Good Teen Day!
    - National Nothing Day! 
    - Prohibition Remembrance Day! 
    - Religious Freedom Day

After a couple days in the office and no running it sure felt good to get back out there and battle the elements. 5.41 miles. 35° and windy.

I have been craving spicy food lately so I will definitely celebrate International Hot and Spicy Food Day.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Tornado touched down about a mile from where I live.

No one hurt, lots of roof damage and doors ripped off the hinges.

12 for me.  Long before a marathon but it was cool and I was antsy from no run yesterday.

Good luck with those derbies!

grins

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Davve - that certainly gives us a lot of options...

Amy - wow - that is scary!  Glad no one was hurt.

We spent the morning running errands, and will soon head out to DD's basketball game.

5 miles for me this morning in a windy 33 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'm going with National Fig Newton Day

Glad no one was hurt by the tornado touchdown Aamos, but sorry to hear about the destruction.

Good luck with the BBall game today Holly!

Hey Dave - you ARE coming to Green Bay for the Cellcom, right????

Cold and quite icy around here the last few days. I opted for a dreadmill run at the Y this morning. 7 miles was all I could handle. I really admire all of you folks who do marathon training on these contraptions.  Then 15 minutes on the rower and some core work. I wish I could say I'm seeing the results from the extra core and weight stuff I've been doing lately. Maybe if I stopped eating like a truck driver.....

Speaking of eating, DH and I are having a Packer party at our home tonight - to celebrate DS#1 and DIL's birthdays, and hopefully have a game to be excited about. I watched the 3 boys last night while they went out to dinner and a movie. After a couple of time outs on the couch and a fat lip that Ben needed an ice pack for, they finally calmed down. We watched a movie, read some books and they went to sleep without a bit of trouble. Love, love, love those boys, but they sure make me tired!

Have a great Saturday everyone.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

57F

10 miles

9:02 average pace

The rocket scientist and I ran to the Chickahominy River and back along the Cap to Cap trail (a multi-use trail from Jamestown to Richmond). We had to have DS2 take King Leonidas on a walk in the opposite direction before we could escape for our run. They walked toward one river and then we ran toward the other.  We paused at the top of the bridge to take in the beautiful view. Negative splits today. Yippee. For no particular reason.

Wildchild, no need for you to learn to play bridge or play golf. We must all fill our days with what brings us joy. Playing bridge with the neighbors brings us a sense of joy because we enjoy the challenge of bridge, the delightful conversation, and some delicious beers. I believe children should learn bridge for the challenge to their minds... not the beer. Children have plenty of options to fill their hours. Learning to play bridge and playing bridge can get them away from screens and promote cooperation and social interaction. If it were up to me, there would be more outside recess for physical social interaction and there would be inside recess for learning card games. Alas, our educational system sees things a bit differently. Who am I to say the system is wrong?  Just me.

JLynne, I loved reading about your evening with the grandbabies. And good for you for choosing the treadmill to avoid the ice. Ice is pretty much the only weather condition that scares me inside to the treadmill. I think I ran 12 miles on a machine one time last year because the schedule called for the distance but the weather was inclement. Lot of Pandora music that day!

Tetsujin, did you ever make it to Akron with your soapbox derby cars?  That's my hometown and we were very proud of being home to the National Soapbox Derby!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

evanflein

...After a couple of time outs on the couch and a fat lip that Ben needed an ice pack for, they finally calmed down. We watched a movie, read some books and they went to sleep without a bit of trouble. Love, love, love those boys, but they sure make me tired!

Good job, grandma Jeanne! What's a good evening without timeouts and a fat lip? Shows they were having (maybe a bit too much) fun. But I'm sure their parents appreciated the night out.

National Prohibition Remembrance Day?? What the heck is the point of that? Prohibition Good Riddance Day should be more like it!

I wish I was better at cards and games like that. I agree with you, RCG that kids should learn those things when they're young so they have something "to do" when they're older. If they had an arsenal of card games and other brain-stimulating things in their skillset, there'd be less "I'm bored!" and needing to be entertained. So why doesn't someone put us in charge?? 

Scary indeed about the tornado, Aamos! Those things terrify me more than anything. Something that comes down out of the sky and rips your life apart, egads. I'll never live in "tornado alley" and mark "no tornadoes" as a big plus of living in Alaska (along with no snakes or poisonous bugs/spiders). 12 ain't so bad before a marathon, what's your next race?

I took yesterday off to take Abby to the vet for a followup after a week of ear cleanings. Still gunk in there, and now they found yeast. Ick. Poor kitty. So on Monday she'll go in for full sedation so they can clean it all out and hopefully we'll be done with it. She's probably had this gunk building up in there for years and it just got to the point you couldn't touch her ear without her shaking her head hard. When I adopted a 14 year old cat a few years ago I never thought I'd be spending money on vet bills for ear cleanings. I guess there's a first for everything.

5 easy on the TM yesterday before the vet trip. Today is a little warmer and I'm just hanging around the house so far, so maybe some local hills? We'll see (and "warmer" means it's now +8° vs yesterday's -2° so as you can see, it's all relative). I don't feel like driving anywhere and it's still -5° down where I'd run on the flat....

moebo

No run for me today, just checking in to say hello. It snowed a little this morning here in NH, and now the roads are super sloppy, so I chose to take a rest day. Took advantage of the time I had to finish grouting my new kitchen backsplash.

Twocat, have a good trip! I hope your Acchilles tendon will be all better by the time you get back.

Aamos, glad the tornado missed your house! I agree with Erika, those things are terrifying. Did you really run 12 miles the day before a marathon???

Jlynne, 7 miles on the TM is a lot! I think the most I've ever done is 6, and it took a LOT of willpower. And sounds like you are an excellent babysitter!

Rose, I think you should do that class even if you are afraid. A few years ago I went back to school because I needed to get a masters degree in order to keep my professional certification. I was scared, too, and honestly if I had had the option of not doing it I probably would never have gotten the courage up to enroll. But in that case I would have missed out on one of the most enriching experiences of my life.

Tammy, crazy car story! I hope you don't have to go through too much hassle to get it fixed. A couple of weeks ago my DD was awakened at 4:00 on a Sunday morning by the police, who had come to tell her that someone had smashed her car, which was parked on the street across from her apartment. When she went down she realized immediately that it was totaled. It's an old car that isn't worth much, but DD doesn't really have enough money right now to get a new one, so this is quite a disaster.  Anyway, the police said she needed to get her car off of the street asap or they would take it to their closed lot and she would not be able to have access to it again! She called me to ask what to do, so I told her to have AAA tow it to my driveway (about 35 miles away). The woman who had hit her had been taken to the hospital, but the police assured DD that she had insurance. DD figured she would get the info the following Monday so that she could file a claim. Well, it turned out to be a lot harder than you'd think! Apparently you have to wait for the official police report (3-6 days), but if the officer makes a mistake on the report (which happened to be the case) then you have to wait an additional 3-6 days for it to get fixed...Anyway, DD was finally able to contact the other party's insurer at the end of last week. So a full two weeks later, the dead car is still in my driveway, awaiting the visit of a damage appraiser, and DD is still without a car or any money to buy a new one.

I've been AWOL from RA for a few days and haven't gone back to read what's happened.  Thursday and Friday, I did my semiannual gig at the shoe store in Lansing.  Wednesday night was orientation for people working the sale.  Since Wednesday was a running day and it was miserable outside, I left early for Lansing and went through Saginaw so I could get my run in  on the indoor track.  I did 4 miles.

Aamos, I'm glad the tornado missed you and that no one was injured.  jlynne, your baby sitting story got me to thinking that with my grandsons being two and a half and six months that I may be facing that kind of situation before to long.  Nice long runs for Aamos and RCG.

This morning, I did the annual "Freeze Your Fanny" 5K in Bay City.  In the past, Dave has done this race.  It was in the mid 20s and windy so it didn't quite live up to it's name as it has some years.  My GPS gave me a time of 32:19, distance of 3.10 miles, and pace of 10:25.  This is in the ballpark of what I've been doing the last several months.  I was 4/4 in my AG (70+) and 80/118 OA.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Who says you have to go to the swimming pool to get wet. \
                    Why not just take GS down to the creek and watch
                    while he piles up sticks and branches to get across
                    from one snow bank-to-the-other. Four inch boots
                    and six inch stream mean wet feet
                    by the time we got back.
                    Fun watching him grow up.
                    Otherwise, another ho hum day up in GS-land.

However, with a dashboard that looks like a Lear Jet, apparently someone doesn’t know how to tell when his DD’s SUV is running out of gas. By some miracle, it happened in the driveway and wasn’t noticed until she tried to take it out this morning so her DH siphoned some gas from his tank and Papo <<<(that would be me)>>> went to fill it up for $50 at the same gas station owned by my former babysitter’s DH where I still vividly remember my shock when gas for my MoPed jumped 5% from 19¢/gal in the teens to 20¢/gal in the twenties for the first time and there wasn’t anything I could do about it or pay it. It’s never been the same ever since.
                    RCG - never even made it even into the local winner’s circle but I think Akron is the first town in my memory that people lived somewhere else from where I did. ps - MP, aka meinkampf, is running smooth, easy and fast like a wisp of wind whispering by lap-after-lap when we’ve hooked up for an occasional marathon of 24 laps around the 1.1 mile perimeter of the Grand Park down in Hiratsuka with the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club. He’s over sixty marathons and joined the Joyfuls himself on his way to their “100 lifetime marathons” too, . . . with “perseverance,” “challenge,” and “humor.”

pps - apparently Pinewood derby will look like a Seahawks team car.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tet - This trip to the family seems to be getting you into some trouble. 

I'm for the International Hot and Spicy Food Day and National Nothing Day, although neither of those describes my day today.

Aamos!  So glad no one was hurt.  The thought of tornados scare the crappola outta me.

Holly - Congrats to your DS for making the Dean's List.  He's turned into quite the young man.

JLynne - I was exhausted by the time I finished reading about your evening with the your grandbabies.

Tom - I like the name of that race.

We were spared the rain today on our run, although The Hub said it rained hard for about an hour at our house.  Go figure.  15 minutes away and we only got a few sprinkles when running.  Tomorrow, though - anywhere between 2 to 6 inches of rain is predicted across Northwest California.  I foresee quite a bit of pumping water from under the house tomorrow.

So Heidi and I get to the McKay this morning and there's a doggy convention going on - 2 humans, 5 dogs.  Ends up two of the dogs were wanderers and neither of the guys who had the other dogs were wiling to do anything about trying to find their humans.  These were big dogs, too!  One had a rabies tag, so Heidi called Ferndale Vet, who in turn called the owners, who in turned called us back.  Ends up the dogs belonged to the caller and her neighbor and had been missing for about a day and a half.  They were SO happy the pups had been found!  We told the people how to find us, and then we walked the dogs back up the hill to the main road.  Bruce and Bonnie, were their names.  About halfway up the hill, Bonnie decided she'd had enough, so I ended up enticing her with a turkey and cheese roll up I had with me.  From where they live to where we found them at the McKay, they had to have been roaming in the woods the whole time.  They were exhausted and hungry and very happy to see their people.

So once we were done with the reunion, we set off on our run again and ended up with just under 17 miles for the day.  Lots of climbing, and both of us had very tired legs when we were done.  I tell ya, it is so nice to have someone to run with again.  Even when we're not talking, it's just nice to have another person with me.  And she's slightly faster than me, so it forces me to push myself.

So all in all, it was a great day.  

Bonnie - The White and Black Dog

Bruce - The black dog behind her.

Perfect "kitty" paw print in the mud.  It was following the deer.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

that's quite the story also Moebo!  My story got even a bit more interesting today when I was telling my mom about it and told her who it was that hit my car. As it turns out, my mom has been her hairdresser for about 12 yrs now. ahhh, small town living is right!  lol. 

I need a running buddy too, Leslie. I would get out there more if I had one. I picked up David at his vision clinic he was working at all day (out at Pacifica - where I saw the house we've rented this summer) and David's teacher/FBLA advisor, who has also been a good friend of the family for about 10 yrs, asked if I was still running. he's run off and on over the years, has done the relay before, a few marathons, etc. then he takes time off and starts up again maybe 6 mos later. He signed up for another race coming up and says he needs someone to run with once inawhile to motivate him, so we'll try and hook up and get a few runs in. He's also a bit faster than I am, so maybe it'll help me pick up my pace a bit.

went to the gym this morning. Only ran 1 mile on the treadmill as a cardio warmup, then did weights and stretching.

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings, all.  Wimped out with the rain this morning, but made it out for a short shorts run in the afternoon. Felt a bit frisky and did the 3.1 in under 27 minutes.   Haven't seen that in a LONG time.

Then an entertaining football game. Now I have something to do next Sunday.  

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Aamos, scary tornados.

RCG, look at you, running ave. 9 miles long runs...good job!

Jlynne, enjoy the Packers party. Happy birthday to the birthday people in your family.

Erika, sorry about the kitty. I always enjoy reading your postings, btw. Cold is all relative, right?

I had a fun day today at the Outhouse race in one of the small towns at the end of the road around here. My Rotarian group entered the race. Just a lot of fun. I got back home late, but still then I went out for a 4 miles while fluffy snow was coming down.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

After a couple days in the office and no running it sure felt good to get back out there and battle the elements. 5.41 miles. 35° and windy.

Yikes Aamos!!! I don't think I'd care for that.

We love being grandparents as well!!!

Poor Abby.

((((Moebo's DD)))). Transportation is a need.

Tet, way back when....I got angry with the way oil companies do business. Oil barons have the same regard for life than drug lords.I rode a bicycle everywhere within 20 miles all year round for 10 years. Except when the actual temps were more than -10. The ice would clog the gears and the chain would keep slipping.

Fattozzig, I've been tempted to keep plaster of paris in the truck so GS and I can make casts of creature prints.

Mari, that looks like fun.

We said good bye to the last of the greatest generation on Mom's side. My aunt passed on Dec. 24th just a few days shy of her 90th birthday. Tag and I took the scenic route down.

This is one of the roads I cycled on a lot this time of year.

We stopped at a trail I used a lot when I trained for my first 1/4 tri. It's a about a three mile loop. This was before gps and it was at least quasi-measured. Over the years, not much has changed on the path. Tag had a small taste of doggie heaven. There is a multitude of critter activity.

He may have done a doggie tri. Chase - Sniff/mark - Dig.

This hill is where I've had the most wildlife encounters. All the way from awwww to yikes! to WTF!?!

This isn't what I wore to the funeral.

I won't post pictures. I thought, "What the heck" and changed on the trail head. Perfect cool down. It's nice to look back at some of the amazing people we've had cross our paths.

SteveP