Masters Running

Snowy Saturday Daily, 1.24.15 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Dave, good job on not overdoing that silly "right shoe first" thing yesterday.

Good luck if you race this weekend, Aamos!

Starr, my nifty Garmin tracks my turnover rate/cadence and then puts it in a graph when I upload the workout to my laptop. But I'm also at a point where I can pretty much tell by feel what range I'm in.

Wow - Stumpy and Mike are both attending "Christmas" parties this weekend - weird!

Henrun, when I first read that you were cross training yesterday, I thought you were going to say that you listened to some nice jazz somewhere while doing some heavy lifting with a martini glass...

Mustang Sally, the Tour of Sufferlandria sounds like is is appropriately named. Good luck!

I must admit that I'm happy to be on Medicare where all I had to do (not that it didn't have it's challenges) was to choose my supplemental and drug coverage. Fortunately, I'm healthy enough that I just went with the cheapest I could find.

Up at Jay o'clock this morning and out for 9.5 RW miles. My legs were tired, so there was no pushing the pace this morning. Still it was nice to be out for a good tour of the neighborhood before dawn. By the time the babe and I left for breakfast at our favorite dive, it had started snowing. After that, I had a site walk for our Conservation Commission, and we went to a property (tear-down, rebuild an even bigger house) overlooking the ocean. The view of the ocean in a snow storm is really kind of magical. It is supposed to snow all day, with accumulations of 4-8 inches. So there'll be some shoveling, snowblowing, and snow shoeing or cross-country skiing in my near future.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mornin' jay//.......glad I missed the ''Affordable'' Health Care thread...

........just hope they weren't lying about the Pre-Existing Condition Bit for Pickles' sake

one of my customers had 2-drug cards, both BlueCross,

the SAME rx was $35 on one card,

and $175 on the ''Affordable'' one.

......let's all sing ''We Won't Be Fooled Again''

===========

...but I digress....

26-min poolrun with belt,

like I used to tell my Newbies, See what you feel like BEFORE the work-out, then see what you feel like AFTER IT

.......it felt Greta.....

..................spitting snow here, bikeride tomorrow,,,,,,,,,because I don't know any better

...................good running guys.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

Henrun, when I first read that you were cross training yesterday, I thought you were going to say that you listened to some nice jazz somewhere while doing some heavy lifting with a martini glass...

Jay, that was Wednesday night. We heard some great Traditional jazz and danced a bit. I had a draft of porter, not a martini.

Lots of wet, sticky snow and lots of Boston trainers on the streets. But not wanting to twist an ankle, etc. we've done a lot of walking this morning and will do more this afternoon. Tonight we're heading to a Boston College hockey game (you can't take away the Canadian in me, eh?).

Afternoon Jay and TW and all to follow!

Love my YakTracks!  12 miles early this morning in some fresh snow.---8:30 pace for the most part and some great hill climbing in Westhampton. Six of us and a fun and laughter filled run. Not many cars on the road and the snow was perfect for a Yaks run. Some of my teammates are snowshoe racing, so lots of activity despite all the storm stuff.

I am traveling just about every week day these days, so the cyber-fun must mostly wait for weekends. I am far behind here as a result. :-(  I did read about Mustang Sally's plans.....wowsa!

My work travel last week (we pitched a job at University of Missouri) allowed me some time with the kiddo. We had a blast! He's in Kentucky this weekend with the track team as part of his student manager job. Arkansas next weekend and so forth. I am so happy for him that he gets this experience in addition to all the academic focus too.

Time to do some shoveling cross-training now. Have a great Saturday all.

Hi Henry!  I type too slowly and you got in there. Smart plan about the ankle twisting possibilities. I am hoping the rain line stays south since the snow is not bad at all.

Karin, you're making me miss my Yaktrax, which I don't think I've used in a couple of years (still in the "sports box" in the back of the Outback though). Right now I wish it would either snow in earnest here so I could at least get out on snowshoes or skis, or else melt off the little that's out there so I could run outside! Right now it's not great for doing much of anything outside.

So, based on the above conditions, I did get to the gym once again for some time on the TM and a round on the weight machines. It's still crowded in there -- especially on weekends -- due to the "January effect," but I expect to see a lot of drop-outs by the end of February, if not before...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

On Erika's recommendation I purchased a set of Spare Spikes, but so far haven't had a chance to use them since we haven't had much snow or ice yet (that's a good thing), but I am prepared for when we do.

DD was invited to participate in an Honor Band that will perform on Valentine's Day.  There were only 20 from her school, out of about 150, who were invited, and we are proud of her.  However, we had already made plans to be in Kentucky on 2/14 with two other couples, and so will miss seeing her play.  At least DS will be here to watch.

35 degrees and rain is the forecast for my LR tomorrow morning.  I am never sure what to wear for that particular combination.  My hands are the toughest part.

5 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 27 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Jay, I too am of course on Medicare and the thing that bothers me the most about it is the zero pay I often encounter.  if we go back to revising Medicare it ought to be in such a way that the truly poor get a free ride, but those who can easily afford to pay something should do so. It's a disgrace to go to the doctor and have all these tests and then just walk out the door.  The drs. aren't fooling anyone when they do this.

Roch, you posed a question here recently about calcium deposits and some test they wanted to give you.  I suggest you deeply facilitate the conversation with the dr.  "What is this test for?"  "And if you find there are calcium deposits (or whatever), what will you do?"  and "Why this test instead of simply a stress echo?" and so on.  I had the echogram in December and when I went back this month for blood work  the nurse said the dr. wanted me to have an EKG. I asked what for, and she hesitated and then mumbled something about "just to make sure nothing has changed." Oh, bullcrap. It was really, "just because we can bill Medicare for the test."

Aamos, just to be clear, the footstrike does not change to running on the toes. No one can do that. You are moving to a "mid-foot" strike. And you are also correct that podiatrists continue to warn that this change is okay for some, not for others and to be careful making the transition, doing so as slowly as possible. It's also a researched fact, no matter what the barefoot people will try to tell you, that heel strikers and midfoot strikers are about equal in the elite population based on thousands of films of the two.

6 miles easy for the Saint and me at Grapevine.  I leave tomorrow for Atlanta, just one day.  I have it nowhere near as rough as CNY though.  Spareribs

Nice long runs for evan (including intervals) and CNY (with Yaks).  I've had a number of pairs of Yaks.  On packed snow they're great.  However, on hard, glare, ice, they slip quite a bit for me.  I recently got some Ice Trekkers (spikes) and they seem to do well on ice.  I haven't tried them on packed snow yet.

This morning, it was in the high 20s and there was some wind.  I stuck to paved roads which were clear and avoided the gravel/dirt roads that appeared to still be quite icy.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:26 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

TammyinGP

I ran 6 miles today also. I was pleased with my speed progression on it even though that wasn't really the plan, but I was just feeling pretty good out there: 10.15, 9.31, 9.32, 9.02, 9.12, 8.15.    coach D was already back at the car waiting for me when I returned and when i told him my splits, he kept nodding his head in approval. When I told him the last one, he looked at me in disbelief, jaw dropped. lol

Tammy

We heard some great Traditional jazz and danced a bit. I had a draft of porter, not a martini.

Tonight we're heading to a Boston College hockey game (you can't take away the Canadian in me, eh?).

I want to be like Henry and Marj when I get big. You guys are always doing such fun things!

Wow Tammy - nice splits this morning. I hope you're paying that new trainer of yours well

Careful on that bike tomorrow, Tom. Watch out for slippery spots.

I wanted to buy a pair of Spare Spikes too Holly. Just never got around to it. My Yax Trax have some busted springs and they're not real fun to run on.

Speaking of running, 6.95 miles this morning (really, you're asking, why not get the extra .5?) This was a horrible run after the 45 minute kettle bell PT session I had yesterday. There wasn't anything on me that didn't hurt.  Then, DH and I went to the indoor farmer's market and bought some fresh pumpkin cilantro ravioli, which we will have with a big salad for dinner tonight.

Hope Kevin and Mike get to sit on Santa's lap at their work Christmas parties tonight.  Enjoy the evening everyone!

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Hi, all.

I survived the first stage of the Tour of Sufflerlandria... it's a start.

Tomorrow I have a long hard ride and a swimming lesson, so that should be fun.

Cheers!

Mariposai

Mustang Sally, you so rock!

Henrun and Marj are just the awesomest couple. I just love them.

TomWhite, how is Pickles doing?

Wildchild, what is your spring plans for the Seattle area?

18 miles for me today. 13 miles on the new Orchards in Bloom course. A lovely day and most wonderful company for the last 6 miles.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Hi, all.

I survived the first stage of the Tour of Sufflerlandria... it's a start.

Tomorrow I have a long hard ride and a swimming lesson, so that should be fun.

Cheers!

Good for you, Sal! What a ride you are in for. Hope the ankle gets stronger and stronger so you don't end up back at square one.

This morning I went out and bought a new pair of swim goggles but now cannot find my spare cap so back to the store tomorrow. I practiced music and got things in order for Sunday worship. It takes me forever to pick out the songs and do the slides.

MrStarr dropped me off at the Y while he did some errands. Why is biking on a stationary bike so much harder than on the road? Does anyone have a bike trainer? I have a feeling I wouldn't use it much but it would be nice to be on my own bike. I listened to a podcast, Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me. There were very few people at the Y tonight.

Tomwhite, have you seen those monster bike with huge tires for riding in the snow? They must weigh a ton, I would tip over for sure on one of those.

My Yak Traxs have not been used at all this year, but if I need to venture out on ice will check out the Spare Spokes or Ice Trackers

Lovely long run for the butterfly lady, with the Easy Pacer, I assume?

have a greta rest of the weekend.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

I need to look into it further, but an initial talk with an insurance agent indicates we don't qualify for any credit (?) govt assistant (?) because I have insurance for me through my employer for which I don't pay 30% or more of my salary. FYI - I don't pay anything for my insurance, and even though it's not great coverage, we also have dental insurance, which is better than nothing.

15 miles today at the McKay, which is a fairly benign run, with the goal of keeping as steady a pace as possible.  I've been in a four-week increase with this past week being the toughest in awhile.  It's safe to say my legs - and my body and mind - are pooped.  I'm so ready for a cutback week ~~

Okay - Off to bed.  Nite, all ~

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

New skirt in town

[ETA: I thought I had posted this last night, but when I got up this morning, I discovered that I failed to hit the "post" button. So, here 'tis]

We had our office holiday party last night as well!  We all find it so much more fun and stress free if we do it in January instead of trying to find a date in December that works for everyone.  I highly recommend it!

I didn't brave the snow today.  Instead, I ran 5.5 on my treadmill and then walked to my gym where I spent 1hr 40min on the elliptical.  I'm slowly transitioning to more running and less elliptical, and my foot feels GREAT!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA