Masters Running

Steamy Monday 7/20/15 (Read 36 times)

Henrun

Since Jay is unavailable we all have to fill in.

Another 90+ day here. Slept in till 6:30.Had planned to go out earlier but after our usual breakfast got out about 9 and it was already in the mid 80's. Decided to do a fast walk instead of a run and got in 2 miles. Off to yoga this afternoon.

Have a good day all and hope it's cooler where you are for this fine mid summer day.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya and good mornin' everyone!    OK, this is what I mean when people say about Florida that "it gets so hot in the summer!" and I reply: "But it's hot just about everywhere in the US in the summer."

A 10K for me this am in less minutes than I have years.  That's a good goal, isn't?  And there's a built in handicap .

Oh, and Starr, I am such an eejit that I have run that marathon in Okoboji not once or twice, but at least three times, back in the oughts [love that reference-the 'oughts' as in 05, 06 and 08, I think].  It's close to the in-laws, in my defense.  And once I won a wall clock that is still working, lo all these years later.

Happy Mondays--make it so.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

No matter where anyone is in the U.S., I always laugh when they complain of the heat.  We often start out in the 90s and it gets hotter through the day!  To be fair, when the Saint and I start in the morning at about 7:30, it's only 80 or so, and that is quite comfortable.  Today we did 3.1 recovery miles following yesterday's LR at Grapevine and the hills.

Busy watching the Open final round.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks henry and good morning to the older oldies, though amy barely qualifies and doesn't look it.

first break in the PNW's summer heat spell today, .at least the northern part.

Don't know about Tammy-land in the south or posie-land in the east?

No rain today (or predicted) but the first real clouds since mid-May moved in and not only dropped overnight temps to mid-sixties that actually felt chilly but added a stiff enough wind that I wore a long-sleeve shirt on the 4.5 mile morning bike commute.  whew.

As I used to do in those days, I should have gone out for a 13-mile training run before embarrassing myself again, if that’s at all possible anymore now that I’m at the age where I don’t care anymore, in this weekend’s home town marathon on a visit to DD and GS a little southeast of Erika-land but, instead, as Seattle temps soared into the high nineties on Sunday, I couldn’t decide whether to (1) get up at 4am and go volunteer at the annual Seafair Sprint Triathlon I first did in 1990 when I could do my so-called, very slow, “swim” for the required half-mile at the drop of a hat instead of pretty much being limited to the 1/4 mile swims in my now-favorite super-sprint triathons, or (2) volunteer at the Swedish Hospital 5K SummeRun (right where I was born when my dad was assigned to same Fort Lawton during the war that my UW ROTC Unit used 18 years later for training) I used to love for the maximum exercise provided when it had a daunting 10K option up-and-down the backside of Capitol Hill or (3) go to the Bite-of-Seattle for lunch (and cavorting with hundred’s of other revelers, including adults in the Seattle Fountain) or (4) the finale dances of the Mediterranean Belly Dance Festival with scantily-clad  terpsichoreans in diaphanously flowing dresses and skimpy tank-top blouces, if that, with nothing in between but undulating belly buttons, etc. (and get to help them fold-up chairs and clean-up afterwards) before (5) the evening’s Dragonfest Parade in Chinatown complete with 50-foot dancing dragon (held up by 10 runners bent over underneath working up such a sweat that they had two replacement teams in the rear) and three little two-man smiling versions delightfully sticking their heads into the crowd on the sidewalks coming face-to-face with surprised, and sometimes screaming, kids plus more than a hundred Chinese Drill Team young ladies in shiny sequined red dresses reflecting the direct rays of the sun lowering in the western sky , . . . so I did ‘em all.   Lost three pounds, more than most marathons.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thanks henry and good morning to the older oldies, though amy barely qualifies and doesn't look it.

first break in the PNW's summer heat spell today, .at least the northern part.

Don't know about Tammy-land in the south or posie-land in the east?

No rain today (or predicted) but the first real clouds since mid-May moved in and not only dropped overnight temps to mid-sixties that actually felt chilly but added a stiff enough wind that I wore a long-sleeve shirt on the 4.5 mile morning bike commute.  whew.

As I used to do in those days, I should have gone out for a 13-mile training run before embarrassing myself again, if that’s at all possible anymore now that I’m at the age where I don’t care anymore, in this weekend’s home town marathon on a visit to DD and GS a little southeast of Erika-land but, instead, as Seattle temps soared into the high nineties on Sunday, I couldn’t decide whether to (1) get up at 4am and go volunteer at the annual Seafair Sprint Triathlon I first did in 1990 when I could do my so-called, very slow, “swim” for the required half-mile at the drop of a hat instead of pretty much being limited to the 1/4 mile swims in my now-favorite super-sprint triathons, or (2) volunteer at the Swedish Hospital 5K SummeRun (right where I was born when my dad was assigned to same Fort Lawton during the war that my UW ROTC Unit used 18 years later for training) I used to love for the maximum exercise provided when it had a daunting 10K option up-and-down the backside of Capitol Hill or (3) go to the Bite-of-Seattle for lunch (and cavorting with hundred’s of other revelers, including adults in the Seattle Fountain) or (4) the finale dances of the Mediterranean Belly Dance Festival with scantily-clad  terpsichoreans in diaphanously flowing dresses and skimpy tank-top blouces, if that, with nothing in between but undulating belly buttons, etc. (and get to help them fold-up chairs and clean-up afterwards) before (5) the evening’s Dragonfest Parade in Chinatown complete with 50-foot dancing dragon (held up by 10 runners bent over underneath working up such a sweat that they had two replacement teams in the rear) and three little two-man smiling versions delightfully sticking their heads into the crowd on the sidewalks coming face-to-face with surprised, and sometimes screaming, kids plus more than a hundred Chinese Drill Team young ladies in shiny sequined red dresses reflecting the direct rays of the sun lowering in the western sky , . . . so I did ‘em all.   Lost three pounds, more than most marathons.

That is one heck of a Sunday, Tet.  Only three pounds?

And i learned a new word.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

Tet - and I thought driving > 1 hour to play in the beach for 3 hours with DD & 2 GC was tiring - I too am impressed that you only lost 3 pounds.

morning run in the heat got to me, so limiting the afternoon activities to biking errands around town.

Starr - good to hear from you. Aamos - you're ALWAYS speedy, and Holly hope the car troubles didn't ruin your trip.  can't remember the other postings oops Posai - beautifully hiking pics

hi fives to everyone I missed!

marj

HermosaBoy

Morning all -- only in the 70s here right now, but the air feels thick.

10 miles with ladder intervals at 5k pace in the middle.  Now to shower and head to two more interviews.  Getting to be an expert at that.  Wink

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

evanflein

And i learned a new word.

I did too, but I had to Google it... I wasn't sure how Tet's day was going to end up but if he'd missed the belly dancers I would've been very disappointed.

Good luck, Hermosaboy, although that's something you don't want to be "too" good at, right?

After running 10 on Saturday (including a 8k race) and 16.3 extremely hilly miles yesterday, I was UP two pounds this morning!   I'm blaming DH's banana bread. And the lasagna and rhubarb crisp Saturday night. Dang we like to eat, it's a good thing I run.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - wow!

Mariposai - stunning!

Erika - happens to me all the time.

Back at work and swamped, as expected, so I will make it short.

4.4 easy-paced miles in 72 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Easy six miler this morning and some weights and core work. 12 weeks until the Chicago Marathon, yee haw!

No heat complaints here after the moaning and groaning I did this winter. I am embracing each summer day since I'll be whining soon enough when the fleece and down jackets emerge once again.

Amazing weekend Tet! wow.

I had a blast volunteering at the VT 100 yesterday---sold tee-shirts, lunch tickets, broke down tables, chairs, cots, fetched band-aids and was in complete awe of all the 100k and 100 mile runners. The ultra vibe is also so nice and mellow, even amongst the speedsters. I have no desire to run 100 miles, but it was fun to volunteer and help.

Back to my desk. No airplane travel this week and then vacation starts next week----driving to fetch the kiddo included in said vacation. Miss the stinker! He'll be home for about 10 days and then it's on to sophomore year. Tempus Fugit.

Mike E

MM #5615

He must have spent most of his time at the Bite-of-Seattle.  I would have thought it would be the Mediterranean Belly Dance Festival.

evan, congrats on your 8K race with 6th OA and 1st AG.  steve, great pool pictures with Noah.  Hermosa, happy anniversary.  mari, beautiful mountain pictures.  starr, "hi".

Nice long runs for aamos, deez, wild, evan, and stumpy (with speedwork).

This morning, it was in the high 60s with some wind and humidity.  I did 5 miles at an 11:12 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

I managed 14 very drippy miles this morning.  So drippy I swear there are alligators migrating north to Connecticut!  Best of all, 5 were with my old training partner.  It was good to see her and run with her after not doing either for a few years now.  Hopefully, we will start running together again regularly.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

Morning all -- only in the 70s here right now, but the air feels thick.

Nice try, Minnesotaboy.  Pull out the mosquitoes; they'll get you more sympathy.

CNY: Check FB.  Joe Green?  Or there's Clarence, and we just keep on....{love Clarence)

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya--ok, not running related, but y'all started it.

OK, what's the word?  'cuz if it's terpsichore, I know that from Frank.  Here are some lyrics from "Come Dance With Me:"

Hey there cutes, put on your dancin' boots
                                And come dance with me
                                Come dance with me, what an evenin' for some Terpsichore
                                Pretty face, I know a swingin' place
                                Come on, dance with me
                                Romance with me on a crowded floor
                                And while the rhythm swings
                                What lovely things I'll be sayin'
                                'Cause what is dancin' but makin' love
                                Set to music...playin'

So when am I going to the PNW?  Cuz I think I need a Seattle fix!