Masters Running

"So where's the snow?" Friday, 2.8.13 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mormin' everyone.

Congrfats on the popped toenail, Holly. I hope the new one sticks around for a while.

How's the back today, Tomwhite?

Lamerunner, yes there were grocerygasms going on all last night and this morning! There must have been gasgasms too, because one station here was completely shut.

Divechief, I'm also curious about what you are going to do between quitting and retiring, and you define the difference?

Ribs, I like salmon and broccoli - bring it on!!

Such a sad situation, Mariposai. My condolences to your town and the Superintendant's family.

You're a good guy, Troy - I don't care what they say!

My plan was to get in a workout this morning before snowcopolypse comes, but I has a pain in my leg last evening and overnight, and it was still there this morning. There was no sense adding damage to damage, so stay in and did some reading instead.

Have a greata day and weekend, and be careful if you are in, or are hiding from the snow.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Morning Jay.  Stay warm and dry all you north easterners.

Mariposai, sorry to hear the news.

Jlynne, thinking of you.

Got out there early this morning and had one of those "tougher-than-it-should-have-been" runs.  I'm not running nearly the mileage I have been (or should be).  But trying to get out there 3 to 4 times a week - more for maintenance than any sort of training right now.  The lack of miles showed itself today I think.  Had no energy so just tried to run EZ and get the miles in.  Mission accomplished.

Mile Pace Avg HR Max HR
      1 10:49 122 138
      2 9:37 137 143
      3 9:15 142 147
      4 9:09 146 152
      5 9:04 148 154
      6 8:58 150 155
      7 9:16 149 153

That Avg HR is higher than I would like (or expect) for those paces.  I used to run Marathons in the 140's, so a bit too high for an EZ run.  But it is what it is!  One of those days.  We all have them sometimes.

Off to Gainesville this weekend to see DS and his GF.  They're getting married in 5 weeks so everyone is super excited - especially DW!  The bridal shower is tomorrow and DW is going - hesitantly.  It's a Lingerie shower.  How does a future MIL react during one of those?  Wink  DS and I are playing golf while they go to the shower.  Don't get to golf with him often enough.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

After making such a fuss about the salmon and broccoli issue with the dr., I made a chicken pot pie last night, as I had a bunch of leftover chicken.  Here it is:

So what is not healthy about chicken pot pie?  Well, as you can see, I used puff pastry.  And yes, it was delicious.

3.3 miles easy with my RP on the dirt, and my legs feel super.  Doing a 20-miler tomorrow and that completes my training for Cowtown in Ft. Worth in 2 weeks.  Spareribs

Mariposai

Yummie chicken pot pie. Please consider adding the recipe to the recipe thread here.

Breger, I am with you about how tough easy runs can be when you don't have the miles you need.

Jay, what are you reading? Good call on not going out  to add damage to damage.

Tamster, you must be so proud of David. Give him an extra hug from tia Posie.

Well, day six of no exercise at all and the sad thing is that I am not even missing it (that shows me that I am still under the weather, but feeling better)..

This promises to be a day full of sun. I can see a huge orange sun peaking over the mountain top!

Enjoy your Friday, folks run or not!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Henrun

Posi-hope you're feeling better soon and out on the roads.

Ribs, that photo looks good enough to eat.

Did 5 miler yesterday-slow but longest run in almost 3 months-except for some stiffness this morning it felt fine.

Snow has already started. Marj and I went for a long walk this morning just as the snow was starting to fall. The street was congested with runners, mostly doing their long runs pre Boston since it'll be tough to do this weekend if the blizzard comes as expected.

We might get out our snowshoes this weekend.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

troy - all you accomplished for family, running, job, plane, etc. yesterday, especially on your own, makes you sound like an Alaskan mariposai.  Does being from Omak do that to you guys?   However, it's only one, if that, inch of snow, not four or six, that brings seattle to a standsill. Swimming in the winter up there still boggles me.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...mornin' guys//.......50s and rain here

.......back's improving jay, thanks for asking........

=========

trying some pt xs 101...........I think TheSunSalute did me in.

.................good running to the rest of ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Maniac 505

(((Enke))) I'm so sorry you are going through this.  Cry  but I am impressed with how well you are handling it.  Stay strong.

((All the east coasters)) Stay warm.

Tet  I saw that you were training.  Shocked  It left me speechless.

Holly  I tried to make a quick answer,  It didn't work. sorry.  I have to go to bed now.  so here is the really quick answer.

[quit at 62, retire at 65]

For three years,  I will live off savings. 62- 65,  65-66 will be state pension + savings,   66+ will be 2 pensions + social security + savings (probably wont need savings.)  Social security will pay more then state pension, but medicare insurance should be a bigger help.

Good night all,  I am up way too late.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to keep this brief.  I see it didn't work.    I will gladly answer any questions.

My retirement has many different pools to dip into.  I worked off shore on ocean going ships for over 12 years before I went to work for the state of Washington 23 years ago.  (I decided I was getting too old to work as hard as off shore demands, and I wanted to be home every night.)

Working  off shore ships with various private companies and working for  WSF (Washington State Ferries) use different retirement plans that don't mix.  I am party to both.  A big part of my retirement is tax deferred wages.  (I pay taxes on the money when I use it,  not when I earn it)  the plans are similar to a 401K plan, but they come under different tax codes and have slightly different rules.  (If anyone cares, I have two, 401-A plans and one 457 plan.  there are different rules on when I can dip into each plan, but I am able to defer more wages than most people since Washington state's PERS 3 (Public employees retirement system, plan 3) pays such meager defined benefit wages.  (I suspect Mari can explain much more about this than I can ).

Anyway.  I have always deferred a high percentage of my wages, either by choice (WSF) or by contract (off shore).  I can retire at 62, but I take a big reduction on my monthly pay for the rest of my life.  It can of course be actuarially calculated,  so if you know the day you will die,  you can figure out what is best for you.  Since all of my relatives have lived to ripe old ages, I have to bet that I won't be hit by a truck the day after I retire.

sorry,  there is a lot thrown out there.  I don't expect anyone to really be still following along, but I will keep going in case there is one person that cares.

When I quit WSF (hopefully in 3 years) I can tap into one or more  of my deferred comp accounts regardless of my age. without reducing my guaranteed monthly benefit.   A couple years later.  I can take my full monthly retirement and reduce how much of my savings I live on.

My merchant mariner license is valid for 5 years.  I will have 2 years left on it in 2016 and I don't plan on renewing it.  that will give me the option to work occasional WSF or Alaska state ferry jobs for 1 to 2 weeks at a time, or if I really get brave, go back to an off shore jobs for 1 to 3 months a year.  (3 months as third engineer  on an ocean going container ship will pay about 2/3rds of what I make in a year with WSF)

Tramps

I suddenly have a chicken pot pie craving.  Yum.

I’m out of touch here this week.  I’ve been nursing a knee and cutting mileage way back.  I twisted it awkwardly a couple of weeks ago working around the house.  It doesn’t bother me when I run but afterwards it gets achy and is very tender when I push off while climbing stairs.  I decided that since this was a cutback week anyway, I’d take it one step further and give it a good rest (only running every other day) and do some icing.  I’m trying to be proactive before this develops into something more serious.

Today it was an EZ 10-miler at lunch.

Good luck to all of you facing the big storm.  Just rain down here.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

We got a foot of snow here in mid-Michigan.  I used the snow blower on my neighbor's and my driveway and sidewalks, then made the long trip to my home office. Roll eyes  While I was working I saw a woman across the street shoveling her driveway.  I feel really bad that I didn't go out and help her, but I was on the phone at work.

I was going to run a few miles at lunch but only made it 1.3 miles.  I thought I could stay in the tire tracks left behind by the cars but everything was too chewed up.  People need to be instructed to drive straight and stay in the tracks so they pack things down good for the runners.  (I did see one other runner out earlier when I was cleaning the driveways.)

...actually dive, I think you have thought this out pretty well.........

personally

debating whether to keep working after 66

and start drawing or not.

depends on how well these lousy hips hold up

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

arf

MM #405

morning people....the weather is very nice, no snowgasms or snopocolypse here at all.  No running today just cycling to and from work

{ Jay's leg pain }

Posie - so sorry about your friend's passing....how awful. You never know when your number is up.

- also, i hope you are feeling better soon butterfly girl

CHEF RIBS - Drooooooooooooool !

Dive - SO great to see you here!  Your work commute sounds brutal!  (I'm the one cycling to and from work now).

Your retirement plans sound awesome!   Hopefully see you at a race this year?

Tomwhite - glad you're back is better

arf

TammyinGP

quick fly-by before we hit the road.

took dogs on a 2 mi trail run this morning. hopefully that'll make the 3 hr car drive easier on them since they expended some energy. Leaving for Salem for my son's State Hoop Shoot competition (I passed along your good wishes, mariposai!).  Will be back late tomorrow evening probably. Win or lose, it'll be a fun experience for him.

Tammy

OrangeMat

MM #6177

So sorry about your friend, Mariposai. Hugs to you, my friend.

Well we've got snow, that's for sure. I had 16 miles of it this morning, pelting my face along with freezing rain and slush. Slush falls from the sky now?? Will the wonders of the world never cease.... Anyway, so my out & back run got nixed (supposed to be 9 miles at MP), and tomorrow's long run got moved to today. A strength workout following by a long run, that's the intent, and now it'll be the second week in a row that I haven't done that sequence in my training (last week I had that 4-mile race that messed things up). My coach says it's not the worst thing, but I'm not feeling too confident about deviating from the plan. As it is, I didn't feel like I could've maintained a 9:00 pace today if I tried... my splits for the long run were 9:47, 9:40, 9:43, 9:40, 9:37, 9:41, 9:45, 9:38, 9:43, 9:50, 9:42, 9:38, 9:51, 9:40, 9:32, 9:39. It was all I could do to keep things just simmering under that goal pace of 9:50.

Oh and thanks for the kind words you've all been offering me about my running lately. I'm really hoping this next marathon is the one where I run to my potential. Smile

So excited, my boss is actually letting me leave early today......I did work MLK day ya know!

I have never craved chicken pot pie.....until now.

Hopefully the roads won't be too icy at the cabin, and I can do the 0.5 mile loop, over and over again.

Looks like a nice HR to me, Breger.  No matter what max HR calculator I use, it says I am out of the +/- 95% confidence interval for a woman my age.  186 max yesterday, and 183 avg on my last 0.36 mile, when I picked it up.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."