Masters Running

Help Needed from Master Misses : running thru pregnancy (Read 233 times)

nowor

Not me...DD2. She's 31 and athletics have always been an important part of her life. She's run some marathons, a couple ultras, and really like trail runs. Speed is not super important. She's usually MOP. Currently : M-walk 6 mi Tu-Run 6-9 mi W-1 hour hard bike ride Th-Run 6-9 mi F-walk 6 mi Weekend: run/walk 20-30 mi on hilly trails (slower than T, Th runs). She and her DH are looking ahead to becoming parents and she asked me to gather wisdom from the master misses. (I did tell her that heart conditions were the Master Runners current hot topic.) Specific questions she has: 1. Is there any risk to the fetus on long runs? 2.Women who ran thru pregnancy, how late did running feel comfortable? 3. If you switched to another exercise what did you do? (Swimming tends to rile up her skin and sinuses.) All advice is welcome. Thanks!
    HermosaBoy

Can't speak to running other than anecdotal information from race expos -- one lady won the women's division at Des Moines whne 7+ months pregnant. As for my former missus -- she taught aerobics until 7.5 months pregnant with no ill effects. I think a lot depends on the individual and the way they carry the baby. If the baby is low, could be more uncomfortable... Best of luck to your DD!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

As she's already in great physical condition, and there are no specific risk factors with her pregnancy, I think she should be fine running as long as she's comfortable. It might be best to avoid speedwork, running to exhaustion, or getting too overheated. She may have to shop around for a doctor who is supportive. I ran until three weeks before my due date, and rode my bike until the day before I went into labor with DD1. I had a very long labor, and credit my physical and mental toughness from running with getting me through the whole ordeal without a C-section or too many drugs. I was back on the road two weeks later. 27 years later, DD1 runs some, and is looking forward to starting a family of her own. I can't wait! Smile Keep us posted. This is an exciting time for your family!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Natalie Morales of the Today Show, who recently had a baby, ran through her pregnancy. There was a short article about her in the August Runners World. Its on the last page where they usually highlight a runner who is also known to many people. She and her doctor think its fine. TomS
            i agree with PDR - your DD2 sounds like she is already in great condition and she should be able to continue with that as long as she doesn't have any OB complications .......staying active really does seem to help most women keep their weight gain in pregnancy to a reasonable amount and helps with the labor and delivery. if she were to switch to another activity does she have a gym available? i think the ellipticals, stationary bike and treadmill are all good alternatives especially when the weather gets bads. good luck to DD2!!

denise

lamerunner

Hi there With my first child, now 15, I ran through the entire pregnancy, mostly 6-8 miles at most. No real long runs. back then there were suggestions to keep heart rate about 140 or lower, but I think that is no longer required. Until the very end, it was fine; the last few weeks it is a bit uncomfortable and you need to plan bathroom stops. I was fit when I got pregnant; sounds like she is also. Assuming an umcomplicated pregnancy it is not an issue. Hydration and nutrition may be more important. Exercise helped a lot with the fatigue of the first three months and I lost the weight and regained fitness quickly. I ran for a while the second pregnancy too but by then I had rheumatoid arthritis, not yet well medicated, then I tore my ACL on a ski trip, so the second half I swam and biked. I hiked and skiied through both pregnancies also. Good luck.

Top 'O the World!

Runners World has had some great articles over the Summer - one being called I think "Pregnant Pause" specifically about the subject & talking about Paula Radcliffe & others running all the way through...including, I believe some longer runs...
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Maniac 505

nothing to offer, but I have to chime in here I once read on that other site, Running while pregnent! are you nuts! what are you thinking! Just think of that poor kids knees!!!!
                  TammyinGP

I echo the opinions of others that running through pg is generally safe and encouraged since that has been her normal level of activity even pre-pg. Of course, she also needs to heed to the advice of her doctor (so it'll be worth finding an OB that advocates exercise while pg). I know of several women who ran throughout their pregnancies until they got to a point where it was just plain uncomfortable from back pain or they felt off balance. Since joints and ligaments tend to loosen up during pregnancy, I think it's important to scale back a bit though because your risk of a running related injury is higher. A coworker of mine ran up til she was about 6 mos pg, then switched to elliptical and stairmaster those last few months.

Tammy

Head Procrastinator

*phew* Glad to hear you aren't preggers Big grin
                      ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                      arf

MM #405

Hi Nower's DD2 Smile You are obviously very fit and healthy! You remind me of myself in my younger years, unsure of what to do and how I would feel carrying a baby. I was age 25 and 27 when I was pregnant with my 2 kids. Both times I ran until about the final 4 weeks before labour. I ran well within my comfort zone, slow and easy, very careful not to over-heat, (over-heating, I was told, IS a risk to your fetus.) The most uncomfortable sensation for me while running during the later stages of pregnancy was the "Braxton Hicks" contractions. I would begin running and my stomach would immediately feel like a big, hard basketball. Very strange. I am small, and was told I would have small babies and they were. The first, 6 pounds and the second almost 7 pounds, both very healthy. Also, they both arrived about 2 weeks early. First baby arrived 8 hours after my water broke, 2nd after only 3 hours. Shocked Both natural deliveries and I was back running, (again, real slow and easy), within a week after delivering. After I stopped running, during the month before I had my first, (daughter), I didn't swim or cycle, but I did ride my horse a lot, and now, my baby girl is 19 and in Germany with her horse, training with the coach of the German Olympic team Big grin ( I am very proud of her) Best wishes to you and your DH!! arf