Masters Running

Wednesday, June 18th Daily (Read 470 times)

Sorry that I was late this morning. I have an excuse...... OK......so the Celtics win kept me up late last night and I am getting a REAL late start on my day. It was worth it to see the Championship for basketball back in Boston (in the opinion of this former New Englander). As a kid my parents would let me go to bed right after supper and sleep. Then at midnight they would wake me up to watch a Celtics - Lakers game from the West Coast on TV (on West Coast time in those days). The whole family was up watching. Those were great days for me and unfortunately my youth didn't let me fully appreciate it then . Maybe today is the yesterday I will remember fondly tomorrow. Learn the lesson, Joey. Erika checked in yesterday with the updated results of her DS2's second game in Hawaii. They play a third game again this morning against another tough opponent who has already posted 2 wins.....against the very teams that the Alaskan team lost to. Win or lose, it still is a great experience for these kids. Hopefully the Alaska Phoenix team will have a good game today and learn from the lessons that developed in yesterday's game. Mary......those are certainly cute pups. I stay away from cute animals to prevent myself from making a decision to get one during a weak moment. Sunday on my way to church I saw a tiny kitten playing in the grass of the median strip along the divided parkway where the speed limit is 65 mph. Being well away from houses, this had to be a kitten that someone "dumped". I got off at the next exit and went back to see if I could rescue it, but was not able to find it. It certainly was darn cute jumping in the grass. What are compression shorts and their benefits? This was mentioned yesterday by Peter NC and biketm and I am just not quite sure of the benefits. Eliz and Theresa........both of you be careful on the foot problems. Slow and easy has to be the words to keep in mind. To err on the side of caution seems to be a good thing. Let us know how it goes. Nono.......feel free to use us a "venting place" for what you are going through with your family. I went through a similar thing several years ago and I had to remind myself of a couple of things. As you have suggested and already thought, "as the are today, I will be someday". I STILL remember my mother turning to me and saying "It is not fun growing old". She was scared, fearful and unable to control how she responded. The second thing I had to remind myself was that "this too shall pass". We went through some difficult months but eventually it worked into another phase that brought relief. jlynne.......One of the first things you need to post photos is an online website to download them to in order for this website to pick them up. I use Photobucket where I download them and then there is a code to copy and paste which easily put into the body of your posting here between the Spareribs and Tall gave us good thoughts to consider. Joey
    Vista

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I was here, but didn't want to start it Vista! 5 miles with Brinkley this morning. He picked up a glove at Mile 1 and I told him he wouldn't be able to carry that 4 more miles. After a bit he dropped it and on our return trip he picked it up again - but not for long. 9:35 avg. pace - 167 AHR which is a bit high. Didn't feel high though. Overall it was kind of a "crappy" run, and that is all I'm going to say about that! Sad My baby is 20 today . . . yikes!! Gotta go tend to puppies . . . . Cheers! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning Joey and everyone, thanks for the start up on this "hump day" Smile Celtics just barely squeezed on out a win last night Big grin 6.5 easy miles last night - 59 minutes on the nose -9:07 pace. Getting ready for my first speed / tempo workout tonight that Ribs is helping me with. It's nice to have a plan instead of just winging it like I always have, and hope I see some positive results....I know I will. It's the plan Ribs talked about yesterday with 2 bigs workouts a week with speed work Incorporated into each one, then easy runs in between getting ready for the next one, Well, need to get payroll done for my guys....they are kinda picky about being paid Big grin Will check back in a little later...have a great day all Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Carpy runs happen Mary. Tomorrow will be a better one! You're running well. So is Brinkley. You too Tim! Ribs is going to have you flying in no time. My run this morning was a bit up and down. 10.2. miles total in 1:32 (9:05 min/mile) but the paces varied from 8:41 to 9:20. All over the place - sorta on purpose but unusual anyway. Avg HR 143 with a high of 156. Over 1000 for the year, on pace for 2000+ again. I'm feeling very conflicted right now. And I can't ignore it anymore. The runs are not as fun and as easy as I think they should be and the miles are dragging by. I get 'em done just because. But I'm unsure whether to persevere through this patch or shut it down for a month or two. That would mean no fall race so that's a toughie. A fall race needs training to start now. It could be my body catching up to me after 3 years of running. It could be the summer H&H. It could be that the marathon has humbled me (not necessarily a bad thing). Or it could be something medical I suppose though my annual checkups always show me in great shape. Opinions will be considered from any and all. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Bill.. maybe it's the heat. It wears on ya and you remember the faster, cooler days. Today it was IRC 59F with only 67% humidity so dew point was way low. That made my 14 miler nice and sproinky. Started 9:40 pace ended 7:22 pace. 2:02:42 (8:45 pace with AHR only 145!). Took Tory for first mile and a bit. I think a hard workout Tuesday and a medium-long run Wednesday is a good combination. It sure felt good. I downloaded an elevation profile for Grandfather Mountain Marathon (July 12th) and the hills I've been running look like a pimple on an elephant in comparison... Shocked Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #3309

Bill, I couldn't imagine stopping running for a couple of months...at least I wouldn't want to. For a while friend, could you just not think about a Fall Marathon and toss the Garmin, and just run when and how far you feel like it, without any pressure about paces and times what so ever. You may run 6 days a week or just 2 or 3, and I think it will come back to you....as Eliz said, enjoy the gift of simply running. And I guess too Bill...it just could be the hot humid temps also. I know I have struggled also with the H@H myself, and feel like a slug on those days. Just some food for thought Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Bill,This winter I just ran when I felt like it and varied my routes...I ran with my buddy T three days a week,but left the other days open to change...sometimes you just need a break... The marathon is a tough race and I'm really having a hard time trying to convince myself I want to do another one...
                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                  Good morning, all! Vista in the lead again this morning. Thanks! Mary - you should have been brave and jumped in - good Brinkley run! Hug a puppy for me ;-). Bill - you might experiment and take a week off - see how you feel at the end of the week. I'm usually eager to get back to running even when I only give myself a few days off. I'm kind of like Time though - I can't imagine voluntarily taking a couple of months off. Nice comments on recovery and workout schedules by SR and the rest of the gang yesterday. My current training schedule has 2 rest (and or cross training) days built in, but I'm sure I will find it hard to stick to actually taking 2 rest days. Seems like it is hard to keep the mileage up unless I run 6 days. Delightful weather with temp around 49 degrees this AM. Track workout with 2 mile warmup, 3 X 1 mile intervals (8:15, 8:21 and 8:28) with 800 meter recovery jogs and a 1 mile cooldown for an average 9:19 pace for 7 miles. My interval pace was supposed to be 8:30, so I know I have to work on that. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Had my interval workout last night and the 2 hours of tennis the evening before had me not to overly optimistic of running well. I had to run with the only other fast guy there, who is in amazing shape. We had a warmup and then we had 1k, 500meters, 500 meters X 300 with 30 second rests between distances and 2 minutes between sets. The first on was fine and was done at 3:28 pace, during the second at 3:26 pace I started experiencing chest tightening, like everything was constricting. I finished the second set and bagged the run. I hate to do it in front of the whole group since you feel like your quitting but in my early years of running I would have run this all out and paid for it. Now if it does not feel right and it's not just fatique or soreness I bag the run. Think it was just something I ate as I had an awful lot of gas as I cooled down. No running today..Take it easy everyone Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good move Tall. 500m x 300? I'd bag it too Wink Sue.. SR didn't quite mention the distinction between easy runs and recovery runs. In my book, I recover with "recovery runs" which are run at a very low HR, slower than going out for an "easy run". The purpose is to keep the blood flowing and capillaries open so fresh blood can get to repair sites. Active recovery is much more effective than just taking a day off. Even if you only run slowly for 2 miles. Mentally I find it much better to keep on running and recover with pace. For me this works as I now have a year of no injuries while running 2500 miles. Some people would rather not run than run slow. The heart rate monitor really helps by having feedback and trying to hit the HR target. Throwing in 100 m strides sprinked throughout a recovery runs helps with dynamic stretching and makes the legs less tight. I do these every few recovery runs. I believe ALL miles are good miles and especially the recovery or Magical Healing Miles Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Note to self: do NOT follow Tall's training plan. Today was 5 easy miles in absolutely beautiful conditions. I didn't want to beat Joey to the punch (and anyway ran out of time), so not posting until now. Let's see, from memory: Workout: 4.1 miles, 8:45/mi, AHR 140 Overall: 5.1 miles, 44:41

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

8 miles with T this morning in 1:06:09 for an 8:17 pace...I'll call it GA...
                          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                            Tall, that was a nice relay marathon you did over the weekend. Steve, I loved the pictures of Batman and Batman, jr. nono, you've really got a lot on your plate with moving and your parents. My thoughts are with you. Nice long runs for TheJogger, Peter, CNY, breger, and perch. Good job on the speedwork for perch (on hills), BC, Sue, and Tall. This morning, it was in the low 50s with a light wind. I did 4 miles in about 39 minutes for a 9:47 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

King of PhotoShop

Picking up where Joey left off.... Just as in baseball where good pitching will always beat good hitting, so it is in the NBA where good defense puts banners in the rafters. You listening Kobe? And while I am on pro sports, didn't Rocco Mediate make us all feel great about being older athletes? What a big heart and love of life he showed us. Much as I worship Tiger, that old guy won me over on Monday. Yes, I am trying to help my buddy Tim, now that he has outed me. But I'm going on record to say that if he messes up tonight's workout I will never speak to him again in my life! I imagine you can guess that with all the exuberance he puts into everything, my first order of business is to slow him down so that he goes into his key workouts feeling fresh. It is also true of all performers that we learn best from our own activities and reflections, which is part of the experiential learning model, rather than from a coach. I feel that Tim learned a great deal about his capabilities and best approaches from that long run he did last week, forcing his way through it as he did, and all the fatigue he felt through the following week. I am just trying to give him some balance, but it is like trying to rein in a young, wild horse. I hope everyone saw Perch's fine post today about recovery, and he is right that I didn't mention it. I take one day off a week. I just have to have it. But I also have to admit, the day after that day off, I am very sluggish and I hate taking off. Steve, you made some great points there. Ron Daws quotes the pianist Arthur Rubinstein who said, "When I take a day off, I notice it. When I miss two days, the audience notices it." This week I have no days off. Breger, you are getting some great feedback here. Notice a common theme? Tall, I said it before, you are an animal! 4 slow for me today, and just as I was feeling good, I quit. I need 17 miles in the next 3 days to get my 40 and was doing the math in my head. It said, "Stop now." Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Eliz - I have gotten exactly that foot pain from doing exactly that thing - moving a heavy object across the floor with my foot. Hope it gets better soon. Bill – maybe you’re just a little burned out, mentally. You worked hard all winter and were disappointed in your goal marathon – you suffered a mental blow. (Hey, I know exactly where you’re coming from there, because my spring marathons were very disappointing, performance-wise, for me.) Perhaps, like Tim said, you should just not run a fall marathon, and just run for the fun of it for a while. I've been listening to good advice from both Spareribs and CNYrunner - they both have given me much to chew on. Now to decide the specifics of how to implement it for my own best results. Like Karin says, we are all an experiment of one. Smile I’ve had my Garmin for a year, and today was the first time I ever programmed intervals on it. I did half-mile intervals with quarter-mile recoveries (800m/400m I guess I should say, since I just looked it up and saw that a half-mile is 804.7m). I was aiming at 3:50 for my half-mile interval, because that’s about what my current 5K pace is, and also that was close to what a Yasso 800 was supposed to be, roughly, if I hope to have a 3:45-3:50 marathon time. Is there normally a correlation between these two? It was dark when I started, so I wasn’t able to see the Garmin readout, and just ran by feel, listening for the beep and aiming for comfortably-hard-but-not-sprinting pace, periodically hitting the light button to see how far off I was. I came fairly close, considering. WU: 3.44 miles (ave 9:55) Intervals: 4:04 3:59 3:55 3:54 3:52 3:52 CD: 4.42 miles (ave 10:17) Total: 12.25 miles (ave 9:39) A good workout, tough but not exhausting, and I still had enough energy to make it up the hill home without walking. Next time I do this, since I hope (dream) to run a 3:45 marathon, I think I need to aim at 3:45 for my intervals, and if I can do that for all six, then begin adding additional intervals the next week. I got home right after DH left for work and the house was strangely quiet. We are experimenting with middle-schooler DS staying home occasionally, and today was his day to sleep in. Not to be, though, because as I was taking my shoes off I heard a loud whistle upstairs, “TOOOOOT, TOOOOOOOT, TOOT, TOOOOOOOOOOOOT...WAKE UP!...TIME TO WAKE UP, ZAK!!!!!!!!!” Sometimes DD can be a real stinker..... Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."