Masters Running

Fri Sept 12 (Read 461 times)

The Jogger

Morning Gang Went out for a 3 miler just me and Woody. Nice cool morning Yesterdays thread was interesting and I don't want to dwell on yesterday but would ask Bruce not to leave and understand people like to express themselves on here as they did in Cool Running. I am a great believer wether I agree or not that people should be able to do that through the pen or keyboard and I notice that you are a freelance writer and hope you agree and come back. Anyway: 3m 30:00 @ 10:00 pace AHR 149 Good Runs All Roy

Marathon Maniac #3309

Nice start off and run Roy Smile And agree with you on Bruce not leaving this fine community of caring running friends, who also likes to discuss all sorts of issues besides running...I have learned sooo much about running here, along with a lot of others things. And like it when people posts about their own problems and situations so we can give an encouraging word or two, or a big congrats, happy Birthday, WTG, and such. Absolutely wonderful news about Ribs This cracked me up yesterday with Ribs responding to a question of mine about MP "Tim, there will be 6,000 runners. Just jog out easy. You will find your pace. The trick is not to jackrabbit start in a marathon, jumping over hedges, running down the highway median, barking at people" I thought barking at people would be a good tactical maneuver, while jumping over hedges Big grin. But totally understand his concerns with me going out too fast, which I have thought a lot about....and not doing it! 7 easy miles for me in hot sultry humid conditions - 1:02:35 - 8:56 ave pace...don't think I have sweat that much all summer long. Going to be a tough - depressing day at work today. I manage at a Chevrolet Delearship...one of the biggest in Indiana. Car sales have been waaay down it seems since gas prices exceeded $4.00 a gallon, and the service department has dropped off, and my department is just steady. We have been in survival mode for months now, and during our managers meeting yesterday our GM announced that 1/4 of our workers will be let go today. That is about 25 to 30 folk that will leave today with no job and health Insurance, and I live in a area where there are NO good jobs period...except for very low paying ones with no benefits. My job is safe, but my heart is very heavy this morning for the one's that will be let go...and as of right now, they don't have a clue till it happens sometime today. This used to be a flourishing manufacturing area with good paying jobs for most people, till these factory's decided they could make more money in Mexico and other Country's where they can pay there workers pennies on the dollar compared to here...very very sad. Hey, not trying to be a bummer this morning, just some quick thoughts that a lot of folk can relate to. Happy TGIF everyone Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I just have read yesterday's thread and I have to say that I feel just horrible to think that Bruce is leaving because of something I posted! When I read that my heart literally sank to my stomach. I certainly did not mean to offend anyone, nor did I mean it to be a political statement. It was just something I read and thought I'd share it. Please come back Bruce! Scheduled rest day for me thank goodenss . . . I'm tired! Still up at 5 a.m. with the dogs, but enjoyed a couple cups of coffee. Last night I went out for a 9 mile bike ride. 4 miles to my mom's to bring her the Runner's World article and then added a mile for 5 home. 123 avg. HR LOTS of bugs out! Geech, I was concentrating on keeping my mouth shut when one flew into my eye! I just hope they didn't lay a nest in my massive curls. Shocked So, tomorrow I'm scheduled to run 20 with my neighbor. The weather is calling for rain - do I still do it or hope the weather will be better Sunday? I'd like to get it done . . . . but . . . . Thanks for starting us off again Roy! Nice run for you and Woody this morning. TGIF!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Today was supposed to be a pace run 8-10 miler at 8:20 pace, but I am too tired. I have a pretty big capacity for hard work, but don’t need to be so hard charging that I ignore my body’s signals. This is the first day of no running since August 27 anyway and I need it after yesterday’s tempo torture. Mr. CNYrunner made me some fabulous birthday brownies last night (dark chocolate with caramel chips) and I had two just like Breger said I could! My boys spoil me rotten just about every day and did an extra good job of it yesterday. Thanks again for all the birthday wishes. Thanks for the start Roy. Go for the 20 tomorrow Mary unless the rain is torrential. You never know….it may rain during your race and this will be good practice. It looks like rain on tap here for the weekend and the humidity has crept back up. Hang in there Tim. Peace out Karin

Marathon Maniac #3309

Mary you are sweet and all...but you will not melt in the rain Smile But like Karin said... torrential rain would be different. We both should have about the same weather tomorrow, and it doesn't look that bad or a complete wash out...get it over with tomorrow so we can hear sooner that you "did it" Smile And please don't worry about yesterday Mary. Heck, I didn't really see a problem with what you posted, and never gave it a second thought...you were just posting an observation you felt was funny, but not making a political statement by any means. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Thank you Tim - that helps some. I'll be thinking of you today. I know how hard it is when we let go just one person and I have to know about it prior to it happening. The job market in Michigan is just as bad. Hang in there! Thanks for your input Karin and Tim - I was thinking that if it was not a torrential downpour that I'll get it done. Then maybe go to a movie and eat a whole bucket of popcorn!! Smile Great news about Ribs yesterday!! Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I have to disagree with what some of what has been said. I come here for running talk and to hear about my virtual friends' lives. I really do care about all of you, though I've met only a handful. A better group of friends I cannot imagine. But ... I do not come here to hear people spout off on political issues. Yes, this is a political season that has much importance to us. And I have strong opinions on the topics too. But hearing about politics here I do not care for personally. if you want to talk politics go to the PRT. There is much political spouting off there to keep you happy. Or perhaps go to Moveon.org, the ACLU, GreenPeace, Rush Limbaugh, or Anne Coulter's website if you want to express yourself politically. Let 's keep this website forum friendly. I am thinking and praying about those of you in the path of Hurricane Ike. Ksrunr, Satfix from KR come to mind. There are probably others. Dallas won't get the damage but they'll likely get much rain and wind. Hurricanes are not to be taken lightly. Ike is a large storm - 700 miles across - and could be a strong one when it makes landfall. All my prayers to you all. Thinking about Tim too. I've had to go through those situations before and they are never easy, no matter whether you're personally involved or not. When CNYRunner mentioned yesterday that her parents said that she was always trotting - never really walked, just started running around - I pictured her as Tim's 5 year old 7-minute mile running companion. Like everything else, starting early has big advantages. Oh yeah. Running. I had a very solid 9 mile GA run this morning at 9:05 min/mile pace. This in 80F and 80% weather. I may have acclimated. I felt good throughout. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mary, go for your 20 tomorrow and forget about yesterday's forum posts. Not worth worrying about. I ran in my club's annual "prediction run" last evening. All we knew was that the course was "about 4 miles". My first inclination was to assume 10-minute miles and predict 40:00, but when I heard it was mostly on trails, a few hills, and with the way I generally feel about running late in the day, I went conservative and changed it to 42:00. Well, I should have stuck with my initial impulse, as I did it in 40:30, which would have been good enough for 2nd place and a $50 gift certificate. But it was a fun event anyway and I managed to not trip over any roots along the way. Smile I've got a 5K in Ann Arbor tomorrow, but I did have some soreness back in my hamstrings today from yesterday's run, so will definitely do the 5K strictly as a "fun run". It's being organized by Coolrunner and untrarunner Tim Looney for a charitable cause, so I'll at least be able to contribute to that effort. Good running, everyone, and good luck to the weekend racers!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

Bill, this is a running forum. Stop going on and on about the weather. Just kidding. BTW, how did a techie guy like you know about the tactics in negotiation? That's my job! I couldn't have done that to the guy though, as I really respect him and I just gave him the slide and talked it through. So now I have what I want, not sure what to do! I'll go out for my normal walk however, and incorporate a few short jogs and LISTEN. CNY, great decision. One thing about marathon training programs is that they wind you up like a rubber band, and either you make it to race day, or you snap. Some days your body tells you "NO!" and it's good to back off. You'll not regret it. I was very pleased to see my buddy Tim abandon his planned run and hit the bike for a few miles, and a nice ride it was too. Great judgment. Twocat, I loved that analysis on last night's post. For the record, that was WRFB who kindly started a separate post to allow people to discuss sensitive topics. Chin up Mary! Spareribs
                      Tim, Believe it or not Ribs wasn't being funny with those comments. (Well, maybe a little.) You'll see how frustrated you get if you happen to get behind a bunch of slower runners. The raceday adrenaline will have you jackrabbiting around them, sprinting and slowing, running on the medium, and jumping small hedges. Anything to get by them and on pace. I've seen people doing all of these! (But not me of course ...) DON'T DO IT! Be very judicious early on. It'll open up. Patience Grasshoppa! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

annied in case you see this I am on a team called the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club. If you click on the link to the blog you can get my name and see pictures of what I look like as I am the guy that does about 90% of the posting. I hope to see you today. What is your team name?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sometimes we come to the daily just to talk about our day(ly). We read about other people's day, the comments they make. That might conjure up a thought that we might add to our comments...not intending to come here with a preconceived agenda. For the most part, this is good and seems to be how folks interact. I'm gonna get all kinds of info on this forum. I take some of it with me and I leave some of it behind and on rare occasions I might share some good info that others may benefit from or just enjoy hearing. But in the end, I will always have gained from my presence on this forum (whether I post or just lurk). That may sound self serving that I'm the one who gains here, but please take it as a thank you which it is intended. I rarely will post on the daily without a run to share, but I do so much enjoy reading the thoughts of everyone here, running related or not. Man.....what a ramble! It's been raining alot here. More to come from the remen.....remanan....leftovers from Ike. A run to come ....I'll try and get that done after work today....
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            Happy Friday, all! Roy - good to see you at the top of the posts this morning again. Nice run with Woody! Spareribs - glad to see you have the clearance to run from your physician - great news! Tim - so sorry to hear about your colleagues - downsizing sucks. Roch - good performance in your prediction run! Take it easy with the 5K - just enjoy the run. I was feeling surprisingly spry this morning, so I eased into a progression run: 7.6 miles starting with 10:00/mile pace and ending with 8:26/mile pace - average 9:31 and 158 HR. I had more pep than usual for a Friday - I suspect it's because I stuffed myself at our department picnic yesterday afternoon ;-). Wishing speedy feet to all of our weekend racers and tons of endurance to our runners going long.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

annied

annied in case you see this I am on a team called the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club. If you click on the link to the blog you can get my name and see pictures of what I look like as I am the guy that does about 90% of the posting. I hope to see you today. What is your team name?
                              Two cat: We are "Because We Can"

Hill Runner

Good morning everyone, I'm looking forward to moving the clocks an hour back right now... it's too darn dark out at 6:00AM... 10.15 miles of hills @ 9:02 pace for me this morning. I started to use my HR monitor again for the first time in months...AHR today was 157. Go,Mary,Go on your first 20 tomorrow. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13