Masters Running

Brooks River Bears Article (Read 16 times)

evanflein

Here's an article from the Alaska Dispatch, about the Brooks River bears that are watched on the Explore.org bear cam. One of the met a sad demise this year. Our own Rhoohphast is quoted in this article. RIP Tundra bear.

Dave59

Interesting article.

So what does everyone think in general about comments on news stories?  To me, they are like a car wreck on the highway.  You don't want to slow down and look but you still do.  On this article people discussed why people care more about a bear dying than some people.  I didn't read the comments far enough to see if Bush or Obama were blamed for the death of the bear, but odds are it is in there somewhere.

coastwalker

Thanks for the article, Evanflein. A sad ending for Tundra, but apparently that is not unusual for bears.

Dave, I rarely read comments on news stories anymore. Because those commenting don't have to identify themselves, other than with some made-up screen name, it gives them the 'courage' to insult, misinform, and/or go off topic any time they want to, and that seems to be most of the time. Eventually, discussions on any topic veer into politics, and to say the discussion then goes downhill is being kind. The fact that some people even think the thoughts that they express anonymously is pretty revolting, and is a very sad commentary on our societal lack of respect for one another.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Here's an article from the Alaska Dispatch, about the Brooks River bears that are watched on the Explore.org bear cam. One of the met a sad demise this year. Our own Rhoohphast is quoted in this article. RIP Tundra bear.

Thanks erika.

Nothing like year-round rhoon but, after spending two summers there in ‘62/’63, I’ve had my DS having 5-yo GS watching all the bear cam activity too. I’ll have to check with Rhoon but, until seeing them dive their heads under the riffles first hand and come up with a shiny red salmon in their months, I thought most of the catching was by paws. Many of the bear photos you see nowadays, even from supposedly other states, are often actually taken at the famed brink of Brooks Falls. We used to name them Yogi-1, Yogi-2, etc. Fortunately, they're usually more interested in salmon that in us. .
          As much as I begrudge the annoyances of our modern computerized life, I really like the live cams reliving those days and days that never happened.  Gets me wistful again.

•  

www.alaska-bear-viewing.net

• Grizzly bears fishing for

www.shutterstock.com

• bears-alaska-brooks-falls-

stuartmattersphotography.com

• Bear Photo from Brooks Falls

www.myalaskan.com

• picture of Fishing Brown Bear

www.alaska-in-pictures.com 

• Bear Fishing at falls

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)