Masters Running

Back to work Tuesday, May 27 (Read 483 times)

Ugh. I need another three day weekend. Smile 8 recovery miles -- recovering from what, I don't know. I felt sluggish regardless. It's a bit warm and humid, but really not too bad, only 68F. Not breger weather, that's for sure. Workout: 7.2 miles, 9:02/mi, AHR 148 Overall: 8.2 miles, 1:14 Have a great day today!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! No run for me today – light x-training with flies, lying hammer curls, dumbbell presses, shoulder presses, and various ab/core stuff. Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for the start off Mr Beer Smile Nice run....that's a long recovery run, but mine are normally that long too. Nice X training Holly....you really work hard girl...enjoy your day off running (if there is such a thing Big grin) Ugh is right...but at least it will be a short week Smile I really have enjoyed reading the race reports, but am still behind...will get caught up though. I didn't have a chance to post my work outs the past 3 days, so here is a short version...Sat: 16 mile long run - Sun: 7 mile easy recovery run - Mon: 96 miles cycling, followed by a 3.5 mile tempo brick run...whew on that one Smile Have a great day all Smile Smile Tired legs Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Way to go Tim. Those cycling miles would put me down. 6 recovery miles at 9:30 min/mile pace. I felt sluggish too. I think it's probably from all the weight I've been socking on since I stopped training. At any rate, I'm hoping to get 40 miles in this week. We had a bit of a cool down come through. It didn't do much to the temps. (74) but at least the humidity is bearable (64%). I'm going to try to get a hold of McSolar later today who is in town this week for a conference. I know I can't keep up with him running, but I'd like to meet him anyway. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good morning! A bit warm 64 here too. I decided to try doing a tempo run by building up the HR and effort. After 2.2 miles with Tory at 9:54 pace, ran 5 miles tempo + 1 mi cooldown. 7:49 (151) 7:43 (160) 7:28 (165) 7:19 (167) 7:10 (169) 8:16 (163) cd That sure worked Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning. I need to go back to work to rest . . . we got a lot done outdoors over the holiday weekend though. Out for 4 miles with Brinkley this morning. 9:32 average pace and 155 AHR. Smile We saw one bunny, just sitting in the road. I saw it first and kept thinking, run away, please run away. . . .but no he had to wait until we gave chase (i.e. fartlek). 45 degrees and we are under a frost watch for tomorrow morning. Have to haul out the longer pants again. Thanks to everyone that responded to my race report. I still can't believe I ran that fast. Now I'm excited to run the 5K in June that is a relatively flat course. Happy 2s'-Day!! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

No run, no work today for mid morning doctor appt. No time to post yesterday but did 6.2 GA miles around the neighborhood. Read about some excellent racing Tall & CNYrunner WOW. Excellent races also reported by Huskydon, Mary, Helen, and hallar fantastic job on your 1st marathon. Bad news, however, my friend who had the brain aneurysm on Wednesday died on Sunday. She will be dearly missed at our Wednesday nite group runs & dinner. Cry She was a kind, generous person in seemingly excellent health. Fortunately she lived life to the fullest, did much travelling and explored the world. Let's Be Thankful for our Health and celebrate it by running. Have a wonderful day...

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Bad news, however, my friend who had the brain aneurysm on Wednesday died on Sunday. She will be dearly missed at our Wednesday nite group runs & dinner. She was a kind, generous person in seemingly excellent health. Fortunately she lived life to the fullest, did much travelling and explored the world. So sorry Sarge. It's so hard to lose loved ones. She sounds like a a treasure. I try to remind myself every time I'm out there struggling w/ a long run or a sore knee or whatever that I should just be thankful to be out there!

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Sorry to hear about your friend Sarge... ( Got confused by Helen's post...thought it was her friend) Great weather here this morning and a great run. 10.16 miles of hills @ 9:04 pace, left AT felt much better today. Back to work... Smile

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                    Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                    Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

King of PhotoShop

I'm sorry Sarge. Tim, heck of a lot of cycling there. You're tough. Bill, I hope you get to meet MC. He is as witty and engaging in person as he is on the forum. May I also add that I am very impressed by your recovery plan. It is a model for others to use. We want to run for a very long time and there is no sense squandering our future running with poor judgment following a marathon. You have to respect the distance. You'll be very fit again very soon because of your care. Off to the dirt track to run a few with the Saint. Back later. Spareribs
                        Good morning, Sarge---I am SO sorry to hear the news about your friend. I know personally how devastating a brain aneurysm is (my father) and my heart goes out to all of you. Hi fussyrunner! I missed you and still need to respond to your race report. Good running! 8.4 miles for me this morning at 6:50 AM--64F and humid for the first time in a long while. My legs felt good and today's plan called for a pace run (dial in a pace and hold it---pick it up in last mile). I covered it all in 8:09 pace avg. First mile at 8:30 pace and then brought the rest down under 8. Pushed the hills--uphills as well as downhills. Coach Mary has tweaked my running plan for the summer a bit and I may die trying, but I am going for it. Busy week with the next days in NYC for work. I'll drive to New Haven in just a bit and then jump on the train into the City....home Thursday afternoon. I'll get some Central Park running and dinner with a Manhattan based colleague while I am there. All good. Your workouts amaze me Holly. Power legs with the hills and weights! Glad the AT feels better Peter. Until soon, Karin/CNYrunner
                        dg.

Lou, how's your knee? I felt sluggish too. but another 3 day weekend would kill me. Holly, I'm so glad your dinner with friends/new house breaking in party went so well! It sounds perfect. tim, I'm looking forward to the short week too. also have been reading, & also still behind! Your weekend makes me tired. Bill, that would be fun to meet MC. Perch, I'm still confused about the runs you posted a couple of days ago. Did you really run something like 75 (ok, it was 30 something) with the last 4 at mp, & just post it so casually? Sarge, I'm so sorry. thank you for telling us about it, & about her. Helen, it's nice to have you back. Good morning Peter, i'm glad your AT is getting better. Mary, I'm with you! A productive but tiring weekend. Worst part was digging out an old jungle gym with posts cemented in to the ground. It was all fun, but I'm tired. I hope that's the only reason I was sluggish. Wanted to stop after about 15 minutes, but ended up with i think the longest yet (post injury). 4.83 total, my run was 3.99 miles. & no, I wasn't looking or I would have kept going! 11:03 average pace, 9:38 max, 166 ahr, 184 max. have a great day, everybody. Smile
                          Tramps

Sarge, my condolences for your friend. I did 7.6 miles trying to keep a modest HR which proved tough given the warmth and humidity, hills, and my lack of fitness. I ended up walking the hills and slogging out a 9:48 pace. Ouch. Well, I’ve got to start somewhere. Thanks to everyone who sent greetings yesterday. It’s nice to be back.

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

... Perch, I'm still confused about the runs you posted a couple of days ago. Did you really run something like 75 (ok, it was 30 something) with the last 4 at mp, & just post it so casually?
                              dg... no it was 17.2 total (I then broke it down into 2.2 with Tory and 15 by myself so you don't add the 17 and 15 Smile ... but that would be a cool thing to do as a double run.. hmm

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Good morning, all! Lou - I agree! I could certainly use another few days off. Sarge - so sorry to hear about your friend. dg - nice run - good job sticking it out. CNY - good luck with the new running plan, but please don't kill yourself!! You are already an amazing runner! Mary - I may have missed it, but I don't think I've seen a puppy pic since they've opened their eyes....... DH and I slept in this morning so we could go collect Jesse from the kennel before work. We had a great time in Vermont - still can't get over the beauty of the Burlington and the surrounding area. We spent far too much time walking at the Expo, downtown Burlington Farmer's Market and the Shelburne Museum on Saturday. Also visited the Vermont Teddy Bear factory and picked up a commemorative marathon bear - complete with sneakers, blue shorts and a T-shirt with the Vermont marathon logo (the personalized bib will be shipped later). The race was probably the best organized small marathon I've run - it was the 20th anniversary, and they really know what they are doing. The hills were as expected (tough), and the 8:00 am start made for a pretty hot course for us slow runners, but I managed to run a PR for my new age group (4:35:27 - 25th out of 57). I was pleasantly burned by the end of the run, and there was plenty of Ben & Jerry's left (though I didn't exactly feel like eating anything by the time I finished). I spent yesterday working in the yard - hardly felt like I had run a marathon the day before. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous