Masters Running

Tue Feb 3 Runs and etc (Read 643 times)

Well the groundhog strikes again. A dusting of snow and cold temps (31°F) made the roads a bit slick in spots. Hey, did anyone else hear that NYC Mayor Bloomberg got bit by the Staten Island groundhog? The slickness wasn't that bad though, as I did stay upright, even with 10 striders and relatively quick pace. 9.1 miles, 1:13:20, 8:03/mi, AHR 156 (78% MHR) Have a great day today!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I finally did it. I got myself up, put on the right clothing for the temps and was out the door at 5:30. This is truly the only time I have to run today so it felt good to get this run in. 7 very easy miles @ slightly over 9 minute pace. Then off to the gym for some squats.

Hill Runner

Nice run Lou, I love Groundhog Day but he's usually wrong 10.21 miles of hills@ 9:05 for me this morning...28F but crisp clear skies when I finished. I was perfectly dressed and had a great run. Looking at some of the January totals yesterday...some nice running out there. Good runs to everyone.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Slo

Good Morning Masters Great run last night. A very very easy 5.26mi......9:02 pace. I really need to practice more at those easy efforts. Outside of tonights "Tune-up" , My goal is to keep my runs on Wed, Thur and Fri at a 9:00 min pace or higher. This morning I hit the Gym for a good core and upper body workout. We had temps in the mid 40's over the weekend. Last nights run was done in a temp of 17 degs with 18 mph winds. Today we might make it to the teens........ Undecided It was 3 deg to start the morning. Good Runs All, Make it a great day !
            I finally did it. I got myself up, put on the right clothing for the temps and was out the door at 5:30.
            Nice! For me, morning is the only way to do it. Starts the day with a feeling of accomplishment. Today, I lifted weights and did 3 1/2 miles on the Precor Full Body Cross Ramp (kinda like an elliptical). Shin still hurts so I have no idea when I'll be able to run again. Tomorrow I'll be spinning again. Today: Squats 3x8, Bench, 3x8, bent rows 3x8 Elliptical 30 minutes, intervals to RadioHead Smile Wall shin raises 3x15 Heel step downs 3x15 lots of stretching

The Associated Press reported today that there was an unexplained surge in Gun sales yesterday by people in running shoes. Witnesesses report mutterings something about furry creatures. An NRA spokesperson hailed the uptick as a sign of coming peace and justice. This morning was Repeats day. 7 miles altogether with 3x1 mile with 90 secs. rest interval. Target was 7:11. Actuals were: Mile 1 7:19 (into a steady wind) Mile 2 7:09 Mile 3 7:05 Perfect. The last 2 felt hard but really not struggling at all. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

The Associated Press reported today that there was an unexplained surge in Gun sales yesterday by people in running shoes. Witnesesses report mutterings something about furry creatures. An NRA spokesperson hailed the uptick as a sign of coming peace and justice. Bill
                I had a gun, I just needed buck shot !

Prince of Fatness

Shin still hurts so I have no idea when I'll be able to run again. Tomorrow I'll be spinning again.
                  Some other things you can do to strengthen your shins. Heel walking. Toe taps. Running backwards. I've been dealing with shin splints this off and on since November. You really need to keep on top of it. Good luck.

Not at it at all. 

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

This morning would have been a pretty morning for a run. 2" of new light pretty snow - just the way I like it - but I opted for some much needed sleep instead. Sleepy

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice runs Peter adn Lou! Good luck on teh race SLO Just above freezing so only wet roads this morning 11.0 mile "MP Mogul run" in 1:26:25 (7:51 pace, AHR 156). Bit too fast with target at 7:55. See elevation profle to see why I call this the "mogul run". It is actually 5 x 2.2 mile loop. At mile 10-11 I felt this euphoria .... the same feeling as at that point in a marathon... very nice. 2.2 mile paces were: 7:50, 7:52, 7:54, 7:50, 7:50

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Heel walking. Toe taps. Running backwards.
                        Thanks, I'm always doing the toe taps. The heel step downs are kinda like the heel walking and easier to do in the gym. I'm going to try walking backwards on the TM tomorrow after spinning. This is well-traveled territory for me as well but I had gotten past any shin pain with the right shoes. There was a day two weeks ago where I ran a hilly run when my legs were tired in shoes that were too old and that was the beginning of this recent episode. Instead of taking time off immediately, I kept running. Dumb dumb dumb. I'll be lucky to run by this weekend. My only fear now is getting in the miles for my 5/24 marathon. I feel like I'm behind before I even got started. The HM on 2/15 is out of the question. I'm hoping to run a HM on 3/15. Patience is not one of my strong suits. It's killing me every morning to not run.

Morning, all! 6.5 nice and toasty miles on the TM this morning. It hadn't started snowing yet when I started my run at 5:30, but I wasn't taking any chances.... It's supposed to be in the 40's here by the weekend, so I'm thinking my long run is going to be on the track. Wish the trail was clear, but I don't think that's going to happen by this weekend. Stupid groundhog - what does he know anyway? Happy warm runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Intervals planned for today, and I debated about whether to do them on the TM or outside. The more traveled roads are mostly clear, but there are a lot of patches of black ice that had me nervous, and 16° meant more clothes than I like when I’m trying to be speedy. Still, I ended up opting for outside, since the new weather due in tonight may keep me on the TM tomorrow. I was aiming at 8 x ½ mile intervals @ 4:10, with a 1 minute recovery, and tried to run mostly by feel, not looking at the Garmin, but somehow I missed the beep and ran through 2 of my rest intervals, which really screwed me up, causing me to start late on one of the fast intervals and to just jog through another, so I ended up one interval short of my planned 8. I was all over the map with my paces: 4:18 4:12 4:11 4:12 4:09 4:26 (missed the beep and started late) 4:08 Still, considering I had to run sort of gingerly in several places due to ice and was dodging a lot of traffic on busier roads (since the quiet sidestreets are too icy), it wasn’t a bad workout. 9 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

With planning to put on my speedy cloth jikatabi`s tomorrow night for a final assault on 30 minutes for the famed 5K run around the Imperial Palace (that I used to be able to do in under 24 just that many years ago), tonight was going to liesurely loop in the wooden geta sandals I used to wear once in while when I was living over here but I guess I just had to prove they were more than just a lark when about a dozen young OL`s (office lady) and their lucky coach enveloped and carried me to a 31 minute finish.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

I obviously need to consume more caffeine and go back and read Tet's post . . . I have no clue what he said although I think several women were carrying him. Will run at lunch time for a few miles on the TM. GGTK

Tammy