Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 1.29.15 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Robin, I saw the Boston Finish line shoveler on the early news this morning - seems like a nice guy who is amused about all the attention he is getting from his simple act.

Congrats on the TM meet-up, Hemerocallus.

Good things to remember, Leslie - "bleck" is right!

TW, sometimes it's good to be blunt.

I'm glad to see some good runs/workouts by Aamos, Tramps, Slo, Robin, Nancy, Ribs, Holly, TW, Roch, Karin, and the other Nancy!

Speaking of geography, I get plenty of strange looks when I tell people I'm in coastal New Hampshire (coastal???).

Last weekend, DW and I tracked our steps as we did our chores, DW on her Fitbit, and me on my phone. We did roughly the same amount of walking, in very rough terms. However, she was showing 5 miles covered, while I was at 2. I was really surprised at the huge difference in our totals. I guess it has to do with the way each device is calibrated and the system each uses to measure steps and distance.

I did another 1.5 hours of snow blowing and shoveling last evening to finish up the driveway and walks. I was up at the usual time this morning, but the local roads are just too much of a mess to try racewalking on them. So I went out to do more shoveling instead, with my headlamp lighting my way. I did a fair amount of the back deck, stopping when i started to get close to our bedroom so I wouldn't wake DW. Then I went out for about a 2-mi. walk. At one point, I bent my arms to see what would happen - I naturally started to speed up, but there was just so fast I could go with my big Bean boots on without starting to rub my Achilles the wrong way. So I backed off and enjoyed the rest of my tour of the neighborhood.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning, Jay and everyone else that shows up!

I got a cheap MMTD run in this morning.  3.1 miles in 2.5F around the lake.  Had to spend the majority of the time in the road, as the DPW didn't do the sidewalks yet.  Actually over dressed a bit using a heavy weight base layer under fleece and jacket.  Only major problem was that my glasses were fogging up from time to time.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good morning Jay, Kevin and all to follow. Glad that our East Coast friends are getting cleaned out after the big storm without too many problems. Just out of curiosity Jay, what time do you turn in for the evening?  Do you set an alarm, or just wake up automatically?  I'm always amazed when someone tells me "I just slept until 8:00 or 9:00 am"  I'm always awake by 4:00 am. Could be the results of my early morning hours at the Y, but even on weekends I'm up by 4:00 with no chance of falling back to sleep. Of course, I'm always asleep on the couch by 8:00 pm trying to read the newspaper or watch a show on television

I channeled my inner Enke this morning. Took a good digger after hitting a pothole filled with slush. It was dark and I just didn't see it. Landed on my left side and hit my chin. Good bloody scrapes on my knee and elbow and put a hole in my brand new Under Armour running tights that I got for Christmas. Also jammed the fingers on my left hand but don't think I broke anything. Just basically sore all over. That's probably why old ladies shouldn't be running in the dark during the winter. At least that's what DH told me!

Don't slip or fall today, and have a great Thursday.

Oh, Jlynne! That is really awful! I always used to be mainly concerned about my equipment when I'd fall (bike damage, ripped shirt, etc.) , but now at "our age" I think more about how long it will take for my body to heal. Jammed fingers can hurt a lot so I hope you'll be OK in a day or so.

Karin, I've only been in NYC once, but in the rest of the state many times. The Finger Lakes are especially nice and I've looked at taking a bike tour in that area. I'd also like to ride the length of the Erie Canal since I'm interested in the history of that area. The town I live in -- Rochester -- and the nearby town of Utica were named by New Yorkers who came here in the mid-1800s, partly for the purpose of digging a canal across the state from Lake St Clair to Lake Michigan. But the canal era was winding down by then and they only made it a few miles. One of my favorite runs here goes along what was to be the canal towpath, then later became a railroad grade, and now is a nice path through the woods!

Many moons ago, I got on a plane to Washington, DC that had too many passengers on it.  They came through multiple times asking are you going to 'washington'.  After about 20 minutes, all of us but one person were going to washington, dc and that person was going to the state!

I remember a number of years ago (obviously when security was really lax), when someone got on a plane in L.A. when she heard the announcement to board for "Oakland" only to find out once the plane was airborne that they had actually said "Aukland" (NZ). Even worse, after the very, very long flight they just put her directly on the next very, very long flight back!

I've always wanted to do more HR-based training, but for me wearing a chest strap never seemed to work that well and they were uncomfortable, especially when going to an event when I'd have to have it on for several hours. On top of that, they've never been very reliable for me (I was always amused by the mfr's suggestion to wear a cotton shirt instead of tech fabric, like that's a practical suggestion). Anyway, I just got a new gizmo called a "Mio Link", which is a heart-rate wristband. It doesn't have a display -- although there is a LED to flash according to settable HR zones -- but mainly it uses ANT+ signals and can be paired with a Garmin GPS watch. It seemed to start up and work OK, so I'll have to post more of a review on it once I've used it in action a few times.

Taking a day off from workouts to catch up on some other to-dos, but will probably do my TM/weights/swim workout tomorrow. Have a good one everybody, and get yourself dug out if you're in the northeast!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Mornin!

I should start running longer mid week, but I'm a-skeered to re hurt the ankle.  Which is really dumb, as I'm running longer on weekends.  P'haps I'm just lazy.  Anyway, the usual 6 in under 10 minute miles again.  But WAIT!  It was 47 with a "realfeel" of 42 this am!  I wore gloves and long pants!  Saw a lot of parkas on the walkers out there this am as well.

Other than that, I got nuthin' 'cepting some photos that prolly won't come out, so go to this blog if you want to see some really pretty peeksures of Karin's homeplace.    Central NY

loving Thursday, I yam,

grins,

A

Central New York is dairy farms and apple orchards.

Central New York is woods and sunsets on the lake.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

Ooops, Jay, I almost forgot, one of my running chums here, Nancy Gonzales, is from Portsmouth and posted a neat video on FB about a pop-up snowball fight in the town center during the blizzard.  Did you see it?

AND, the Finish Line shoveler made it on the national news last night.

There, I guess I did have a little something.

TammyinGP

lovely photos Aamos!  so colorful. since we are in perpetual fog for about a week now, i forget what color looks like. the only color i'm seeing is all the green moss growing on my concrete retaining walls, walkways, even on the asphalt driveway.

Tet, probably no marathons or Seattle trips this year. Unless we can get a few tickets to a Hawks preseason game in August.  Otherwise, our plans for this summer are heading to the Bay area in June for Mariners/Giants games.  

rest day here.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Jlynne}}}

Aamos - nice pics!  So, all of those are from Central NY?

No run for me today, just 20 minutes or thereabouts of core and weights, and I am doing a 45-minute body blast class tonight.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Well, I'm from upstate NY and can go on about it all day it's so gorgeous.  Great photos.

Jay, how long is that strip that is on the ocean in NH?

Another beautiful day here. The Saint and I went out for (4.1 for me, 6 for her) an easy run this morning. Now I'm packed and ready to leave for Tampa for just a one day gig.  Can you believe I get paid to help companies learn how to make a great phone call to their customers? I have the secret, and customers love it!  Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

Yup, all from Central NY.

Of course, CNY is off to the left coast, so won't even see our efforts to suck up to her after the western new england gaffe.

Tammy, shh...at least we don't have that nasty cold white stuff....

Yes, Jay,  what Ribs asked.....about 8 miles, is it??

{{{JLynne!!}}}  Glad the injuries weren't any worse, but definitely take care of those fingers.  They're probably gonna be sore for a few days.

North-South-East-West - - - whenever we tell people we're from Northern California, almost always the reply is, "Oh!  Do you live near San Francisco?"  We gently tell them that despite what obviously most people think, California does not stop at SF.  We live 6 hrs north of SF.  They get kind of a confused look on their faces akin to .  Then when we say "Humboldt County," we get "Ahh!  Yes.  We've heard of Humboldt County."  And not because it's a beautiful place, but because it's part of the Emerald Triangle.

30 min of core/ST last night, then 4 EZ miles predawn with 5 x 15 sec sprints at the end.

I've gotten hooked up with emails from a guy, Nate Helming, and his business The Run Experience.  He's put out some very informative (at least for me) ST videos for runners, and I've incorporated almost all of his suggested workouts into my ST routine.  Today at noon, he and his fellows trainers are putting on a live webinar that I'm gonna check out.  Should be interesting.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

New skirt in town

Jlynne, so sorry for your tumble!  I saw a runner out on the newly-plowed roads this morning.  At first, I was jealous that I wasn't out there running, and then I was relieved to be running indoors without risking an early morning icy fall.

I got in a 45 min resistance workout and then 5.5 miles on the treadmill.  NO PAIN in my foot!  No swelling!  I'm almost giddy, but trying to be disciplined in my recovery and only allow myself every-other-day running for now.  As much as many might denigrate the elliptical train, I'm so, so grateful to have been able to keep some modicum of fitness while rehabbing this foot!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Mike E

MM #5615

I always used to be mainly concerned about my equipment when I'd fall

I'm always concerned about mine.

Mike E

MM #5615

And not because it's a beautiful place, but because it's part of the Emerald Triangle.

I'd love to work there...but I'm afraid my profits would just go up in smoke.

Mike E

MM #5615

Take my wife...please.

I'll be here all week...