Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 5.21.14 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Congrats to all on the arrival of Dylan Jackson, Dave!

That sure is a tasty-looking walking cake, Mariposai! Good luck on your rides with Carmen.

You sure are going to have an adventure, Leslie! Instead of "you're screwed," think "just do it!"

Very nice to see that David is as well-grounded as he is talented. Congrats to you and him, Tammy.

Aamos, some days I get worn out thinking of my schedule too. But there is no freakin' way I'd ever sign up for a 46-miler in FL in August!!! 

Wunderground's new format is a lot of fun to play with. But Holly is right - no weather forecasting site is reliable more than a day or two out, and sometimes not even that long.

Dinner out with friends last night was fun, except that I got talked into hosting weekday evening racewalking clinics in our town, and we got home a little later than I would have liked. But I still woke at 3:30, got out of bed at 3:50, and was out the door at 4:10. 5.4 RW miles in 50F temps under clear, moon-lit skies that evolved into daylight before I got back home. I only got stopped once this morning - by some tourists from VT looking for "the wall," which is where a lot of locals surf. They didn't have any boards on their car, so I guess they were just getting the lay of the land (or the water, in this case). OK - gotta go to prep for today's first meeting.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Mornin' Jay (and all who follow),

It's been a while - but it's pretty easy to get caught up by reading the previous threads.  Looks like a lot of happy, healthy activity going on - except for Aamos.  Running 47 miles in FL in August is just not right.  Can I join you?

Last night - lifting, spinning, then 5 miles.  I was supposed to do 4 x 1 mile at 7:30, but I stopped at 3.  The legs just weren't cooperating.  This morning - 1/2 session of lifting and another spin class.  Gotta build up.  I still will sign up today for the marathon to Marathon in Iowa next month.  Sounds like a fun little race.

Take care everyone.

...YAY  a PBJ Sighting............so, are you out on Parole??

===========

..but I digress

.....32mprnb

deo

...................good running guys..........

here's a little something for mike

http://www.wkrn.com/weather

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Running 47 miles in FL in August is just not right.  Can I join you?

me too.

for fitness runners, the harder and longer the better

'cause we don't care how we do as long as we do,.

Warning to mariposai - do not take up cycling.

It takes so much time to train (for people who do).

You already have too much fun running.

Next thing you know you'll be swimming too

to say nothing of hiking, story-telling, dancing, singing, writing, cooking, gardening,

washing, cleaning, canning, painting, traveling, working, interpreting, volunteering,

run clubx, race director, parenting, helping people,  ____________, ____________, etc. .

you're doin' so well Starr.

Now that even the 17 hours I needed in those days too is not enough for the IM's

I used to love, the 0.25 quarter-mile swims in super-sprint tris are my favorites

for still annual, no-training, tri's.since 1978.

Introduction to tri classifications

swim. .  . . . ./ cycle . . . . .  run . .  . . . classification

0.25mi . . ., 10 ~12mi . . .. . 5K. . . . . .Super-sprint

0.5mi . . . .  10~14mi. . . .  . 5K/. . . . . Sprint

1.5K/1.0mi  25mi . . . . . .  .10K. . . .  . Olympic / Standard / International

1.2mi . . . . . 56mi. . . . . . . 13.1mi. ,., .Half Iron

2.4mi . . . . .112mi  , , , , , , 26.2 mi, ., IM

4.8mi. . . . . 224mi. . . . . . . 52.4 mi. .  double Iron

note: super-sprint/sprint may vary

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I'm just skimming these days.  But I liked that house for sale on the lake.  I would trade mine for it any day.

A PBJ sighting!

5 miles of hills in the cool morning air.  Lovely.  First run I have had in months without a peep from my cranky knee.

Enjoy the gift.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I picked the wrong time to try to make a comeback to the daily. I've been lurking recently but not posting. Just did the second of two 5K's with my 5th grade group. This was such a great group of kids to work with. They were great at encouraging and complimenting each other during training and they really worked hard. We had 22 kids start and finish the Lilac 5K in Rochester, with our fastest running a 21:46. I ended up injuring my patellar tendon midrace andfoolishly toughed it out to the finish. No running for me for a couple of weeks, but hoping to be able to return to a bike sooner than that.

Mariposai

Happy is the day we have a PBJ sighting.

Taperboy, a tri is a looonnngg way from me. I don't swim.

Enkephalin, your run sounds nice this morning.

Erika, how is the foot doing?

Where is OrangeMat?

Speed work, walking with the walkers at the jogger's club and then biking last night have me very tired today, so I decided to rest today.

Another long day at work for me, which will include some traveling up north. Not complaining. I really enjoy my job.

Have a good one folks.

Wow!!!! Craneium is here too Smile)))))))

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

PBJ--the Marathon to Marathon is on my least favorite list.  It was hot...it was corn field after corn field (and I love corn)...it was hot...it was straight (maybe 3 turns the whole way)--it was hot--it seemed to go on forever--and it was hot.  They had to wait for me to finish puking to give me my award.  I'm sure you'll love it...unless it's hot.  You might want to check the weather forecast before you go...

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Or enlist Mike to do it for you.................

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Or enlist Mike to do it for you.................

...Smile

...........YAY a Cranium Sighting////////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Hi Craneium and PBJ!

Was thinking of Jay Monday night as I went to a planning meeting which was billed as a "community input meeting" on the proposed changes to "enhance" the park I run in.  Before any of the community got to do any input however, we were "treated" to a one-hour presentation by the head of the Parks department and the architects.  All I know is that $15 million, financed by a revenue anticipation bond is one heck of a lot of money to "enhance" our park.  I was appalled at some of the changes.  I stood up to speak and drove home the point that natural surface running is quite good for you and all I ask is that the architects refrain from "enhancing" or "improving" our trail system.  They mean pouring cement of course.

Also, belated happy birthday to you. I have no idea how I missed it.

Tammy, you can crow all you want. You have a lot to crow about.  We all do it to some extent, and I like to hear of others' successes. David is a fine young man.

3.5 brisk walk, much better pace than my previous walks, then a light, static-stretch session at the Y.  Little by little.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

...YAY  a PBJ Sighting............so, are you out on Parole??

Craneium, too!

Glad to see you doing better, Ribs.

No run for me today.  DH said my car was leaking oil in the garage and wanted to drop it off at the shop when they opened at 7am so he wouldn't be late for work.  So, at 6:20am, when I am all dressed and ready, he says, "Doesn't look like any oil leaked at all last night, so maybe let's wait until the weekend."

Darn it.  And it was lovely running weather this morning, too.

I stripped down and got in 35 minutes of weights and core, though, before work.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

You might want to check the weather forecast before you go...

I hear that Weather Underground does a nice job....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yay - Cranium and PBJ all at once!!

*snork* re Mike the Weatherman.  The big question is:  Did anybody get the puking on video?

47 miles in Florida . . . in August??  I dare anyone to call me or Carolyn nuts ever again.

Posie Lady - I am a danger to myself and anybody around me when on a bike.  I need to be totally padded up, head to toe, to ensure minimal damage to body parts.

Tet - I'm not sure what to put into the search re the Cascades, but I used the Little Easton State Park, which is where camping is available for the CCC and it's suppose to be around 77.  As for Astoria on Sunday, low 60's with a chance of rain.  Portland on Monday - 69-70 with a chance of rain.  If it rains at those temps, it'll be sticky in the forest.  And no, no night running.  No time.

I don't know if there's water available on the trail or not.  I'll find out from Kate when I get up there.  I'm planning on no, so will carry two extra bottles besides my bladder and will probably stash one somewhere along the way.  I'd rather have too much water than not enough.

As for getting lost, Kate's run that race before, so we'd better not get lost!  I'm taking my SPOT . . . just in case.   If I run into Bigfoot, maybe i can get on that stupid Finding Bigfoot show.  Personally, I think the guy's just camera-shy.

4 EZ miles last night, then this morning it was 2 EZ w/4 sets of 10 secs of faster running to wake up the legs.

This morning, I set the sprinkler going in the back yard and we ended up with a couple of hummingbirds flitting in and out of the water, as well as a huge flock of cedar waxwings trying to get in the sprinkler.

It was fun watching all of them. . . . . . The Chicinator and Wilson enjoyed it too . . . .   NOTE: No birds were hurt in the making of this story.   . . . At least not this time . . .

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Jay!  You were supposed to relax and have fun.  Where in your instructions for last night were you authorized to sign up to host race walking clinics?  Your poor schedule!  Your poor you!!  Oh shucks, I bet you love doing those once you get into them?  Hope it was an enjoyable birthday celebration.  Impressed at how quickly you got up and out the door this am.  (I putter too much in the am.)

Craneium and PBJ, how wonderful!  I love how we all keep straying back here, just like it's home.  (That place where when you show up, they have to let you back in, isn't that how the saying goes?  And I've done the M2Marathon.  I got two lovely young ladies, one from Iowa, one from Nebraska, to argue about which state has the best corn for a lot of miles; it was most entertaining.  And then there's the guy in the lawn chair that yells out  "Welcome to Marathon!" when you make one of those 3 turns!   I think it was cooler than the Okoboji marathon.   And Frank liked it.  He got lots of attention.  --I'm ok, just miss Frank.  HI Tag!   Wish I could  run run run with you today.

EekMike and Dave, sunrise at 5:43??? It's going to be baking by the start of that race you're doing.  What distance is it again?

Cool photo, Nancy.  I like what tet wrote to you.

Good news, Ribs.  Stumpy, how's that hamstring today?

What a super weekend for you, Carolyn.  Enjoy, and congrats to your daughter.  Ithaca will be beautiful.

you go a date certain for the retirement dive? 

People!  It's a 46, not 47 mile race.  And it's the end of August, the 30th--> practically September.  ANd think of how easy peasy the Southernmost Marathon will seem when I do that again in October (Key West).  And there's some shade involved.  And it's about an hour and a half due NORTH of where I live.  And it's a warm, moist heat   (isn't that a good thing?  Like warm, moist muffins?)

I ran a lot yesterday.  It just sort of happened.  10 in the am and then 6 before the running club after work (I was early.  It was gorgeous out.)  Then a warm-up mile and 4 more in the line up run I described a while before (single file group, last one runs to the front of the line, then the new last one does the same, etc.  It's a fun way to do mile repeats.)  My last mile was 7:16.  So I just did a totally laid-back easy 6 this am to Lakes Park and back in the Meb bouncy shoes--what are they again, Ribs, Skeechers?

Still good running weather here in the am but we are counting down.  The Memorial Day 5K will be SUMMERY, I do believe.

PS: That 30-something woman, Alyson Venti, who won the entire Keys 100? (  In 14:42)-- She'salso  a Ph.D candidate in Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, working on saving the coral reefs.  She was a Peace Corps volunteer in Fiji and will be running Badwater later this year. ( Prizes for winning the Keys 100 for the top male and female were free entries into 2015's Badwater, so once she gets the hang of it this year, imagine she'll crush the record there.)

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)