Masters Running

Sunday daily (Read 37 times)

Good morning all!!

Good Luck to Jay for a successful Seacoast 1/2 and fleet feet to all those running it --- especially my sister who is very nervous about running her second 1/2 marathon!!

16.2 glorious miles for me yesterday -- had company for 12 miles with 2 great friends who helped me stay on pace when I was alternating between long run and marathon pace!!  2 weeks til Philly!!

I am heading out to run 4 easy recovery miles before working an 11a-11p shift -- hope it's not as crazy as this past week has been!!  LOTS OF BABIES making their way into the worl!!

Have a Splendid Sunday my friends!!

denise

AamosY good luck today in your little 26.2 mile run!  I hope you get great weather for your race!

I can walk today!  I view that as a victory.

I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Deez - hope your shift goes smoothly.

Jay and Aamos - good luck today!

I'm heading to the paint store in a bit, then after that will spend  the afternoon at University of Dayton with DS.

8.2 slow and gentle miles today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Super running, and good walking too, to twocat.

After yesterday's marathon on still-quad-thrashed legs from the previous  week's 50K, I figured to be on the DL for another two weeks but, somehow, sitting/standing, walking up-and-down stairs  etc. this morning are virtually back to normal.  what gives?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Nice job Twocat!  Glad to see you are ambulatory today.

Great race Trackrat.  38 is a nice tenK time.

11.25 today at the lake.  The Saint did 12.  My left knee started to "give" on me so I stopped.  That sometimes happens when I am very tired and I wasn't going to mess with it.

Still not done with this project and plan to work all day, except for the Cowboy game broadcast from Wembley Stadium.  The team will likely fly home tonight, sleeping the whole way. Doesn't sound like a fun trip to me.  Spareribs

Tramps

Trackrat--nice job yesterday!  1st AG!

Deez--nice run.  Philly will be fun.

Twocat--the victory was another nice BQ.  Being able to walk is just icing on the cake.

Tet--maybe you're just in good shape?

Ribs--nice run and smart to stop.

I did 8 miles on a gorgeous day.  Hip behaved and I was experimenting with MP pace.  I don't think I'll try anything faster than 8:15; I'm just not in good enough shape.  I'm thinking 8:15-8:30 as a window to shoot for.  We'll see.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice running yesterday, TC.  Sorry you missed your flight to Fort Meyers

Jay ended up with a glorious day for his race.  Based on past experience, I sincerely doubt that there was anything left to chance that could have gone wrong.

Tet's beat my mileage total the last week in just races.  And walking well afterwards to boot.

Nice longs for Deez and the Texas couple.

I finished off a last "long" run before Richmond with 9.2 miles at a 9:45 pace.  I WILL be finishing quite a while after Tramps, but if I can hit that pace for a good segment, I will be very happy.  I'm trying to decide if I want to join a pace group, and if so, which one.  Should I pick the one that will be a bit slower than I hope to keep me from going out too fast, or one that matches what I hope I can do and risk burning out?  Amazing how only 15 minutes can create such a quandary.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Loved the pictures at the end of Saturday's thread, Tag.

I am going for a run in a few minutes, there I said it so I have to do it!  I showed MrStarr how to find channels on the ROKU so he'll be busy for a few hours, if not weeks.....

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Quiet day here on RA, everyone must be running, racing or napping.  Nice long run deez, and having friends along is a plus. I love it that Ribs has the Saint to run with too. I don't think I have ever run 35 miles in a week, just not that ambitious right now, maybe when I retire. Glad to hear that tet is still about to walk after all that racing.  I am a bit sore from yesterday's weight workout at the Y, upper body is particulary stiff.

I am back from my run around the lake, easier than yesterday but I got wet! Not very wet, but at least it isn't snow!  We went to a buffet (at the Hy-Vee grocery store that Rochrunner has been too) and I had the prime rib buffet.  It includes the salad bar buffet, the Chinese and Italian buffets - those are in the grocery store, then the omelets, breakfast items, potatoes, prime rib, shrimp and desserts were inside the restaurant. Too many choices but I skipped the Chinese and Italian stuff. I hope I burned off any extra calories consumed.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

C-R

Hey all. It is quiet in here today. Congrats to DD Holly. Smart play ribs Yeah TC on walking. Nice deez. Hope the shift went ok. Kinda busy here. Ran 14 with one of my buds. We were both tired from yesterday but managed sub 8 pace. Laundry, cleaning and winterizing the hiuse. Then off to shoot skeet with the boys as well as bow practice. Now I am enjoying a glass of wine and thinking I may not make it to 10. Its good to have a family day of fun. Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

I hope your day visiting the university went well, Holly. What field is your son interested in?

Tetsujin, you are amazing. A 50k last weekend and a marathon this weekend. You maniac, you!

Stumpy, I have never used a pacer before. I am sure others will give you their input. Good luck in your marathon. It will be great to see how well you do. You have been running strong lately.

Star, wow, that is a lot of buffet choices to choose from. Good running for you.

C-R, it seems like you had a great time with your family today. Enjoy that glass of wine.

See, the Saint is outrunning Spareribs, heahhh. Go girl, go.

Speaking of glass of wine, last night was our Rotary club annual wine and cheese event. The event went very well. We made a good sum of money for our club. I made a chocolate truffle that was very yummie, I was told. It sold on a live action for $425. Since the Easy Pacer has been gone to Oregon for training I decided to have a  slumber party at my house after the event last night. Six of the 12 girls who went with me at the party last night came for the slumber party. We had so much fun. I fixed a nice brunch for them this morning before they left.

After a nice nap, I took off running in the rain in hopes to burn a few calories from the weekend eating extravaganza. 10 miles total and I did not melt Smile.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

an amazing likeness

Jay ended up with a glorious day for his race.  Based on past experience, I sincerely doubt that there was anything left to chance that could have gone wrong.

Weather gods delivered a perfect day at Jay's Seacoast Half...mid-40s, cloudy and no wind worth mentioning. The temporary course (due to a bridge closed on the normal course) gave us a a few extra ocean-front miles looking out to the Isle of Shoals under concrete grey fall sky. Truth be told, I liked the temp course.

Race organization was the usual fantastic -- most impressive was the busing of runners to the new start...walked out the door from bib pickup, quick line, they had wranglers running the bus loading so no one stood around, and, apparently, every school bus in the seacoast NH area. Many, many races which bus every year don't do it as well.

Caught Jay post-race to say hello briefly, all seemed calm.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

wildchild

Carolyn

Glad to hear Jay's race went so smoothly!  How did you do, Milktruck?

Congrats to Twocat and Mrs. Twocat on some greta racing!

I had a fun time at the Moab trail marathon yesterday.  Finished in something like 6:02, and was 4th in the 50-59 AG.  But there are two 50 year old speedsters that just aged up into my group, so the competition was tough.  Anita Ortiz was 1st in the AG -- she won Western States in 2009!   The woman who won my AG at Moab in 2012, Anita Rawlinson, was back this year and she took 3rd place.  I had a blast hanging out with the two Anitas after the race!  Nice to make new running friends.

The race was also the  USATF national trail championships, and they have five year age groups, unlike the race itself, which has 10 year age groups.  So Anita Rawlinson was 1st and I was 2nd.  I'll write a RR soon, and post pictures.

Today I did a trail run in Arches National Park, which is only 3 miles from Moab, before starting my drive home.  I'm in Grand Junction, CO, and will drive the rest of the way home tomorrow.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Yeah, we figured Jay would pull off that race with his usual efficiency and attention to detail. Glad the weather cooperated, as that's a big part of the race experience and one the RD can do nothing to control!

Loved the picture of that gorgeous cake on FB, Mariposai, and you looked beautiful with it! So nice that you can contribute your talents to help raise money. That's quite a price tag for that cake (any cake!).

Glad to hear Twocat isn't any the worse for his very nice marathon yesterday, and Tetsujin is still plugging along after a couple of weekends' worth of racing. Nicely done!

C-R, nice family weekend you had, and you managed to fit in some good running too. Nighty night.

Our day here was spectacular, and the temperature here at the house was 34° around noon. I was doing some house cleanup stuff but wanted to get some sort of long run in. The weather site said the temp at the airport was 16° but I thought, hey, surely that's not right with how warm it is up here! So, off I went, feeling really good for the first 4 or 5 miles. Now, we have temperature inversions here in the winter, so I really should've paid better attention to that airport temperature.... by mile 7 my hands were getting cold, mainly my thumbs. And my chin. By mile 9.5 (when I saw DH), I could hardly talk because my face was so cold! Kind of funny, really. You know what you want to say, but what comes out doesn't quite sound like it.... Anyway, by the time I got to the bottom of our road, it had warmed up a bit but I was still cold. By mile 12.5 though, it was noticeably warmer. Kept warming up until I almost overheated at the end! Back at home, temp was 35° and no wind. Nice! But I was pooped after 15.1 miles and ready to hit the hot shower. All better now, and with 49.4 miles for the week, I'm kinda wishing I'd gone another lap on our road to hit 50! Oh well, highest mileage week in quite some time (since early-September?).

Now to make some lasagna for dinner!

Hi Mike E! We posted at the same time!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Thanks for the report milktruck.  I'm not surprised that anything Jay is involved with goes without a hitch.

Posie---wow!  $425 for a cake?  Wow!

Very glad to hear your hip is feeling better, Tramps.

Glad you can walk Twocat.

Nice run Deez!

tet--seriously, man--you are amazing.

I hope you got your project done, Ribs...and I hope your knee feels better.  I'm sure you enjoyed the Cowboys game.

Hope the visit went well, Holly.  I'll bet you enjoyed just spending time with your son, huh?

You might surprise yourself at Richmond, Stumpy.  You've had some pretty good runs.

Nice eating and running, Starr.

Wow, C-R--you're a busy guy.  It's really cool that you spend so much time with your boys.

I went out and did 9.9 miles in 1:14:57.  I like to finish the week on a whole number and needed a .9.

Okay--that's all the time I have.  Snow's a comin'!  Gotta get to bed so I can get up early and shovel.  See ya!