Masters Running

Tall's Ottawa Marathon Report - A Great Race! - A few Pictures added... (Read 566 times)

This was my A race, what my coach likes to call the priority race. The race you build to peak on race day. Around the Bay had been my C race and with no training in February due to a chest cold I ran a poor 2:04. Then B races were the Montreal half marathon where I ran 1:21:51 and then the Franktown 10K where I ran a surprising to me 35:21. My training from March was 4 days a week, an LR on Sunday’s, track work on Tuesdays, Thursday tempo run and an hour ez run on Friday’s totaling about 45-52 mile weeks. This was key I believe to building me up and the next key was lots of rest. Getting my sleep. As many of you know I am separating from my wife, since September, lawyers have been tough, I have joint custody of our two girls, crazy work hours since I run my own consulting business and went thru a torrid (yes I can call it that now) and disastrous relationship from December to March with someone I do not even know why I fell for (well okay missing intimacy from my marriage). Anyway to racing.. Running is a salvation and we all know it. It allows us to work out some stress, deal with daily problems and enjoy something so simple. It works. Over the last month or two I have been slowly dating a woman named L whom I ran 3 38k’s with leading up to the marathon. She is our city’s fastest marathon runner and was wonderful to have on runs that I have never done before. Prior to this marathon I had only run one training run over 20 miles. Liz was a great influence on my running. Leading up to this race I had been feeling fantastic, tired which is normal but no injuries and better and better results. L came down with a stomach flu last weekend, I unfortunately came down with it on Thursday 4 days before the race. I had a very first bad day of aches, fever and intestinal flu. For the next two days it was many many trips to the washroom…I was still eating and drinking but I lost the 4 pounds I could not lose (204lbs), I lost 1 percent body fat (8.9%) and my water levels were amazingly high even with the problems (59.5% which is higher than normal for me). So other than worrying about washroom trips during the race things looked good, other than I had not run since a short run on Thursday. The weather for race start was beautiful, 8Celcius, light wind and sunny. 3700 took the start at 7am and there many and many elite vying for a berth to the Beijing Olympics. I started right behind the elite in the blue corral which is for sub 3 marathoners (a very nice touch). I was running with Michel (a buddy from my training group who two weeks earlier had run 2:55 at the Mississauga marathon in an effort to go sub 2;50. He would be crazily attempting this again. My coach is the 3 hour pace bunny every year and started with us to. In the half hour leading up to the race I miracously was able to go to the bathroom (sorry and make myself ready (some type of intervention maybe) Phew… When the gun went off, we took off the uphill that goes up Elgin street up to Wellington to pass in front of the Canadian Parliament Buildings (just gorgeous with all the tulips in bloom). We were doing 4:05 per K (perfect). Michel and I caught up to Liz and her friend about two K in and we stuck with them. Also with us was MA who I have lost many races to (would this one be different). Michel was already laboring and I could tell this would be a tough one for him. L and I took the lead and we ran together (this was so much fun). We kept passing overly aggressive runners who went out way too fast. We kept up a good pace thru Hull on the Quebec side before crossing back into Ontario across the Ottawa river. It will be funny because many of the chip points and photographs will have L and I in them as we crossed thru them together (nice). We passed 10K in 40:53 maybe a bit slow but within the pace bands that I had on my arm. I had both a 2:52:30 pace band and a 2:49:30 pace band (in case I felt like superman) I felt great with NO stomach issues, I was tempted to push the pace but no I stayed with L, she made me!!! As I knew it would get harder soon. L and I talked and joked. Running with her made it like a training run…Going east on a long stretch I provided wind cover for her for about 3K. The wind going east was a pain. At the half way mark passed in 1:25:20, 20 seconds behind the pace for a sub 2:50 but I was tiring a bit and I knew that was slowly falling out of reach. The legs were great but the lungs were laboring once in a while. I kept pulling in people and passing them slowly. Unfortunately, this is where L and I got separated. I either pushed it a bit harder or she backed off (which is what I believe she told me). So I was running alone into the wind with the next group, 30 or 45 seconds ahead and I was not gaining. I could see one of my race nemesis ahead MR and I focused on trying to catch him slowly. This was a very tough stretch to run alone. It’s a beautiful stretch along the Ottawa Canal but running by yourself into the wind when your tired is difficult. I was able to hang on here and about 2K in I was reeling in a couple of runners that had been dumped by the pack. I was literally flying by them, so I was a little worried that I was being to aggressive at the 25K mark, but I gave in to temptations since I was feeling good, just a tight right quad but nothing serious yet. Just as I approached a massive crowd support area, I caught up to MR and blew by him…he said nice surge…and I thanked him. He probably thought he was going to catch me later (-: The next few k’s over the up and down hills and thru Carleton University along Dow’s Lake are a bit of a blur but I knew this is where I had to focus on racing and not on the scenery and I did although it hurt like hell. I was about to come to my “Heartbreak Hill” the one that had cost me so much time in the other two marathons I have run here. 30K in 2:00:55, two months earlier my 30K race in Around the Bay in Hamilton was 2:04:and change. As I turned onto Hog’s Back I mentally prepared for the next 5K’s which I knew were going to be my toughest. My legs came back and I hammered past some Brook project elite that had either gone out to fast on their first marathon or were injured. I was feeling good again and taking advantage of fresh legs since I know from experience that marathon form can be temporary. As I went thru Vincent Massey Park my usual “crash site” I stayed strong although I was hurting. As I made the turn I could see my nemesis’s MR and MA and L just a few steps behind…This would necessitate toughness and I wanted it so much. In my last two races what I have prided myself the most on is not having anyone pass me on the later stages of the race and only one person had in the half in Montreal in the last 6.5K even thousands ran. During the 10K no one did. I was determined to keep passers to a minimum. No one had passed me so far. Going up the Heron Hump, a nasty hill that is not overly severe but comes at 32K I tried to stay strong but “I almost walked” but I did not given in to the gremlins. I continued to the top and returned to form. I was hoping the next 3K would be kind to me as I mentally knew if I could make it to to the top of the hill overlooking Dow’s Lake I was gold. They were hard but I survived and I passed more tiring runners. At the top of the hill I knew I had about 6K to go and I still feeling okay. This is a hill we hammer up and down all winter so I gave it a push and passed many runners going down. At 4K I started slowing…ugh..It was getting tough and I was alone, no one around me or behind me, the crowds were great but I needed other runners to speed me up. I focused on form and on the thought of my two girls, my parents and my sister at the finish line. I had told my girls 2:52:30 you hopefully will see your dad show up. I passed the 2:30 bunny (did not know there was one…guess he was saving himself now or blew up. The last two K were very hard, as my calves were very tight. I did pass an elite Kenyan woman who was having a bad day as I surged with one K to go…I saw my parents and waved , but could not see my girls (although they said they screamed loudly). I was alone crossing the finish line so I raised my arms in the air and did not look at my watch and smiled…hopefully it’s a great picture. The clock read 2:52:30………..yeah…goal number two reached. Not sure if I will ever run sub 2:50 but it’s sure fun trying. Maybe on my next marathon if there is one. Marathon running is crazy. The thing I am most proud of after looking at the stats is that NO ONE that started off behind me passed me by the end of the marathon. ZERO. That makes me so happy. MA and MR did not pass me and finished in the 2:55’s. My friend Michel finished in his most painful marathon in 2;59 with my coach the bunny beside him. L finished first masters woman in 2:55 and won a whack of money. It’s funny because before we knew each other I had never ever beaten her in a race but now in 2 races I have not lost. We joke about it but I would be so happy if she beat me, I could not care less unless it’s a sprint finish…joking we would cross hand in hand, ahh…at least that’s what I would suggest. Here's a photo of L and I at 10K (I am the tall guy #164 of course). and another one of us at 4K. Michel is right beside me and is my other training partner. Take care my friends. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

that is an amazing race report Tall!! so glad you were able to battle your stomach sickness and run so well!! sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed your day!! congratulations!!

denise

Wow......Congratulations. Somehow I feel like I just read the report of a SPRINT rather than a Marathon. You were hammering all along the way. What makes this SO incredible is the fact you had been sick. You KNOW that this cost you some sort of time factor over the distance....how much will never be known. I enjoyed visualizing the Marathon and could picture some of the spots you mentioned. I know you will be back at the Marathon again....maybe to get that sub 2:50. Chasing Liz has advantages. Congratulations again. That was a GREAT job. Joey
        Vista
        nowor

Tall, Amazing race and terrific report. So nice your folks and daughters were there to see you blazing. You and L are certainly good training and racing pals.
          Henrun

Congrats. Tall. A fantastic race and a great report. We ran the Ottawa half a few years ago and were enthralled with the beauty of the city. You'll break that 2:50 yet.
              Glad it went so well for you even after being sick. You are one fast dude! Thanks for sharing Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations on a great race! Knowing what you've gone through the past year, I'm really impressed with your determination and training. You're a great example to me! Teresa

King of PhotoShop

This is outstanding. As you saw from my post, I was seriously worried about you in this race, given how maniacal you are to push yourself. I was afraid you would have a bad day then keep pushing. It is very hard to run a marathon just after you have been sick because even if you are in shape, your system is often distressed and weakened. You are a monster! Great job Frank. Spareribs
                  evanflein

I've been waiting for this, and you didn't disappoint! Wow, Tall. Excellent race, and good job on coming back from what could've been a bad experience. Running like that after being sick is not easy. Just think what you could've done! I'm sure you've got a sub-2:50 in you. After the year you've had with personal problems, etc, you come back strong and speedy! Good luck to you going forward. Thanks for taking us along on this race!
                    HermosaBoy

GREAT race Tall!!! I need to find an L to run with -- that would be sweet...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Seriously fine racing, Tall. A huge congrats. You showed what you are capable of today in racing, and we know what a fine fellow you are, so I vote for you for all-rounded fellow! Enjoy! grins, A
                        Masters 2000 miles
                          Way to go Tallrunner on your A race! You fought through all sorts of less than ideal odds and found your race groove with great success. I am so relieved that your stomach bug was kept at bay and you were able to rock this race. I also don't think you should say sub 2:50 isn't there----it's there! Congratulations on this great result and finding a new balance of happiness. CNYrunner/Karin
                            Somehow I feel like I just read the report of a SPRINT rather than a Marathon. You were hammering all along the way.
                            I'll ditto what Vista said! I'm exhausted!! Tall, your strong training, focus, and guts are an inspiration to me. Congrats. GREAT RR
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                              Amazing. "Well done" just doesn't capture it. Truly amazing.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Running is a salvation and we all know it. It allows us to work out some stress, deal with daily problems and enjoy something so simple. It works.
                                Tall, I love this quote. You're an amazing, strong, fast, and determined runner, and a kind, perceptive, and sweet guy. You deserved this PR!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.