Masters Running

The Day After Boston, 4.21.15 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

A huge CONGRATS!! to everyone who successfully navigated the cool and wet and windy course into Boston yesterday!! By everything that I've read, our runners did an extraordinary job of ignoring or making the best of the conditions to run great races. I hope you all are reveling in your successes, and that the post race glow lasts for a long time. Congrats also to Craig, Marj, Stumpy, and everyone else who, also despite the adverse conditions, hung out on the course to offer encouragement and nourishment of all kinds to ours and other racers. And thanks also to those who kept updating the posts with status reports and finishing times. Reading WC's and Mikes back-and-forth afterwards was very funny!

My day yesterday was interesting: We had to get security scans and bands just to get on the bus from the near-by state park to the start area. Then, once we checked in, got our volunteer jackets and had our volunteer team meeting, we had to get scanned again to get onto the course. I was in corral 2 this year, so I got to walk up to watch the handicapped and wheelchair starts from behind the racers. Very cool. Some of those wheelchairs, up close, are amazing machines, and are as well-built and finely-tuned as any high-caliber racing bike. We were at the entrance to corral 2, and on the walkway to corral 1. So we had to check bibs to ensure that each person was in the right wave, separate the corral 1 racers from those in corral 2, and redirect those who were in the wrong place altogether. Each corral in each wave holds about 1,000 racers, and we had about 20 minutes to load each corral. Most racers wore layers before the start, so getting to see their bibs under the top 1,2, or 3 layers was sometimes challenging. Most of the racers were cooperative, and we tried to be as friendly and supportive as we could in the split second we had with each person, but a few clearly didn't appreciate the process of getting everyone to the start place they had earned. I'm sure some racers got through to places they shouldn't have been, but we were able to accurately direct almost all of them. I saw Nancy (or rather, she saw me) on her way to corral 1, and we took 2 seconds for a pre-race hug - she was so excited about the race, and she looked fabulous, as always!. I also saw Denise, who was part of the "human chain" that walked down behind each wave to help ensure that no other runners snuck in from behind, and to signal when it was clear to start loading the next wave. That also gave us a few minutes to clean up the clothes, plastic ponchos and Gu wrappers that had been dropped in our corral. We had a little rain before we got started, but it passed quickly. Then the rain held off until we stated loading the 4th and final wave. Once it started that time, it didn't let up. I was glad that most of the racers got going before the rain began because standing around in the rain is less fun than running in it. By the time I got on line to catch a shuttle bus back to my car, I was a bit damp, and my voice was a bit deeper than usual because of all the talking and shouting I had done. When I got to an evening meeting, the first question I got once I said something was "What happened to your voice?" But it was all good, and I'm looking forward to being back out there again next year.

It rained all night, and it was thundering when I got up. I couldn't tell if there was lightning, and didn't want to find out the wrong way. So I stayed in and enjoyed being dry for a while longer.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay, Mari and all to follow. I see we have two dailies started, so do I post twice?

A huge congratulations to all who ran Boston yesterday in pretty miserable conditions. You made us proud! And you all ran so well! Also, a great big "thank you" to all of you who volunteered or were somewhere on the course braving the weather to cheer all of our friends on to the finish line. Nice work by everyone!

5 miles on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights and core for me this morning. Winter has returned here for a few days. Snow flurries, a blustery 20 mph wind and temps hovering around 34° made me real happy today was a cross training day.

Safe travels to everyone going home today, and I hope you're all pleased with your race yesterday. From someone who can only dream of running Boston, I think you did an awesome job!

C-R

Morning everyone. Very nice Jay and sounds like good conditions to cross train Jlynne.

My 2 recovery miles were interesting this morning but glad I did them. Weather today looks ideal for racing. Go figure.

Kiddo raced last night at home and finished top 3 in his 2400 and they moved him to the 4x400 and his team won by 50 yards. Man those kids are fast. It was nice to swap racing stories on the phone last night.

Some really great racing and I'm sorry to have missed the meet ups. I will try better next year. Now to catch up on work and get ready for a late flight. Some good memories from this weekend and isn't that really why we do this. Well that and the ability to have a few extra tastes of food or pints.

Thanks again for all the support from the Masters crew. You guys are ok in my book.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

lamerunner

Good morning! big congratulations to all the Boston runners.  Cold and damp day, not bad for running except for the darn headwind.  For the second year in a row, I volunteered at the finish line doing medals distribution.  I looked for Karin, Posie and some of my other friends, but things got very hectic for a few hours.  I was at the first table, so we had lots of action.  One of my NH friends did find me to get her medal, and one of my DD's high school friends also found me.  That was cool; I did not know he was running .  22 years old, ran 3:14 in either his first or nearly first marathon.  It got pretty cold and wet after a while, but I had good layers, and it was a great day.  I have to decide whether to try to run one last Boston next year--120th running, 40th year or running for me, and I will be 55.  But in my sensible mind, I think I am better off keeping the  mileage a little lower and extending my running life... we shall see.  It is tough to train in the winter too with DS'; ski schedule.

I ran a quick 5 miles early yesterday before heading to Boston, then walked a ways from  where I parked.  This morning, 6.5 miles around town.  Maybe a swim later.

We closed out the ski season in style this past weekend; great Spring skiing  at Wildcat and a run on Saturday, plus some condo cleaning. Sunday DH and DS hiked up into Tuckerman's Ravine and skied.  I hiked up Mt. Monroe and finished up the packing and cleaning.. on to Spring.

Great thread yesterday.  I could not  track anyone during the day, but I checked on all of you in the evening.

Marathon Maniac #957

A huge congratulations to all who ran Boston yesterday in pretty miserable conditions. You made us proud! And you all ran so well! Also, a great big "thank you" to all of you who volunteered or were somewhere on the course braving the weather to cheer all of our friends on to the finish line. Nice work by everyone!

Well said!

4 recovery-paced miles for me today in a blustery 44 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

That was a great read Jay. I heard the security was tight.

The high winds have been making things interesting around here. I about lost the lid to my Weber Kettle grill last night when I turning the brats over.

Any mushroom hunters...It's time! I haven't found any yet but all the indicators are present. May flowers, Lilacs, buds falling off the trees. We might need a little shot of rain to coax them out.

Had my annual yesterday. The Doctor said it's not an annual if I only see you every 4 years. His office threatend to drop me off the books as a paitent if I didn't schedule something in the next three months. Since I turn 50 in a tad over 2 months I thought it might be wise.

Life is good

Sayhey! MM#130

Congrats to everyone who ran yesterday.  It was one to remember, for so many reasons.  More importantly, Thank You, each and everyone who volunteered (I was bragging on my "human chain" friends all day) and came out to stand in the cold and wet to cheer us on, can't tell how much that means.

Here's what I heard when I got off my bus to the start yesterday am: "shit! Are you all runners?"  Turns out our driver followed volunteer buses to Natick, unaware of his miscue and happily dumped us at Mile 9.  This explains how I managed a sub 4 after ankle and hamstring owwies

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Dave59

Here's what I heard when I got off my bus to the start yesterday am: "shit! Are you all runners?"  Turns out our driver followed volunteer buses to Natick, unaware of his miscue and happily dumped us at Mile 9.  This explains how I managed a sub 4 after ankle and hamstring owwies

So you had to run/walk 9 miles to the start or you started at mile 9?

Although I couldn't follow along like I would have liked to it was great to hear how good everyone did.  I had the race feed up on my home computer off to the side of my desk so I did see the finishes.

I ran 3 this morning.  Missed the last few days.  When I am not working I am doing yard work or stuff around the house.  Beware of when your wife starts a sentence with, "I have a crazy idea" because it just means more work.  

Obviously I could have squeezed in more running if I wanted to.  I just didn't want to.

Enough time to stop in say CONGRATULATIONS to all our racers yesterday.  Nicely done, folks!!

Okay - outta here . . .

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

I didn't understand Aamos' post either.

I'm glad Boston is over, and despite the weather, many happy runners and spectators.  It remains one of my most exciting days even though I'm not in it any more.  Very happy for many friends who ran well or at least finished.

T'storms and hail here. Saint and I got caught in a hailstorm this morning about halfway through our 4 mile easy run.  We hid under a highway underpass until the rain lessened and then finished up.

Slow work day for me today but tomorrow morning I have a conference call with a Tacoma, WA client. Looks like I'm heading back there soon.  Spareribs

AamosY +1 

C-R it would be great to meet you at the Sunburst Marathon.  I hope you can make it.

tetsujin209 maybe you should move to Japan and visit the US?  A lot less time away that way. 

evanflein does it matter to the fire season if you now get rain or snow?  Does just moister count?

wildchild your dogs ran a half marathon with you!  Way to go puppies! 

Mike E I am pretty sure I do not want to ever experience running in the conditions they ran Boston in this year.

stumpy77 congratulations on the AG placement!

tselbs I hope you finally made it home safe and sound.

I ran 14 today under clear blue skies. Just more proof that nature is a malevolent being.  Beautiful blue skies on Sunday, Tuesday and beyond.  Wind and rain on marathon Monday.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...good going bostoners//////

.........22-min pr nb deo cf

............lost count of laps when someone said ''hi'' to me............meh

...................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

So part 2.....had to get on the plane and fly home.

So once in Natick, pandemonium ensued.  Race officials yelled at our driver, insisting he turn around.  He refused, stating he had no idea where to go.  (English is not his first language so the discussion was colorful.). The MA state police bunker was called.  It was not clear that we could just drive down the course as the wheelchair athletes were close to starting.  Eventually we were allowed to drive the course to Ashland, then were directed to  narrow, twisting road that brought us to Hopkinton.  Pshew!  It did take our minds off the weather; we were saying we were going to end up on the 6 pm news.  It was a bonding experience for us.

Grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Henrun

So part 2.....had to get on the plane and fly home.

So once in Natick, pandemonium ensued.  Race officials yelled at our driver, insisting he turn around.  He refused, stating he had no idea where to go.  (English is not his first language so the discussion was colorful.). The MA state police bunker was called.  It was not clear that we could just drive down the course as the wheelchair athletes were close to starting.  Eventually we were allowed to drive the course to Ashland, then were directed to  narrow, twisting road that brought us to Hopkinton.  Pshew!  It did take our minds off the weather; we were saying we were going to end up on the 6 pm news.  It was a bonding experience for us.

Grins,

A

Amy, I'm amazed that you were able to run the marathon after that misadventure. Sounded like a skit from SNL. Do these things happen to you  frequently?

All our runners did well. I was out there watching for part of the race (watched the wheelchairs and elite women) and for other parts later in the afternoon but missed most of our runners.

Had a medical appointment downtown this morning and saw a multitude of runners wearing their jackets and medals. They all looked pretty happy to be walking in the sun.

Have a good trip back home and an easy recovery.

Marathon Maniac #957

Aamos - when I ran Boston in 2008, our bus driver got lost.  He eventually stopped and asked directions, and then re-routed, but then found that the road was blocked.  We ended up having to get off the bus and walk the last couple of miles to the starting area.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."