Masters Running

Stevie Ray's "How to run a half marathon with a gunshot wound" report (Read 322 times)

xor

Ok, that title is overly dramatic. Nobody had a gunshot wound. I did, however, have a hole poked in my back from a biopsy six days before the race. If I had fallen down during or DNFed the race, I'm sure I would have screamed "You guys go on without me!!!" But I finished by running in the style of Robot Frankenstein***. But mostly, the report is here so I can tell you about the pretzel. My Labor Day Super Jock N Jill Half Marathon with stitches. Bonus Park City Marathon report here. I took 13 minutes off of last year's time, but I still didn't have a good race. As always, links to tons of other reports can be found there. ***Yes, yes. It should be Frankenstein's monster. Or maybe I was a robot version of Dr. Frahn-ken-steen.

#artbydmcbride

Classic Robot Lopez! Big grin

Runners run

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I already know who the half marathon queen is but you're the King for sure runnin' so well so soon after surgery. I hope you can continue to fit more and more in along with all your marathons.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Great report! Hard to explain the pretzel unless you were actually there eh? Sorry you didn't get your 1:30 but way to stick it out. I still can't believe you had two shirts on the whole time. And gloves? Confused

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

xor

I took off the gloves about M6. Pre-pretzel. I was still kind of chilly at the end. Smile Compare that to Sunday's Skagit Flats Marathon where I "only" wore one long sleeve shirt and gloves. It was 70 with 200% humidity at the end. I ditched the gloves at M10. And at least my long sleeve shirt at this race was white. I raced like a desert nomad. Edited to add: A Robot desert nomadic frankenstein. I should have just gone with "the mummy". That would have suited the scene better.

I am so in your fan club. Can I be president? Big grin
              Masters 2000 miles
              xor

I am so in your fan club. Can I be president? Big grin
                No, I am in your fan club. And it isn't a mutual admiration society. Besides, you're all famous. I'm only famous in Missoula. Which is pretty cool, actually. Oh, and I got my stitches out this morning. Now I'm more likely to bleed and rip things open. Wonderful.

I love your reports. You are quite a gifted, funny writer. Keep it up!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Thanks for that report! It took me a bit (hey, I'm slow!) but I realized that this was the same race Enke ran. That pretzel route does sound crazy. Didn't your doctor say "rest up and take it easy now" after your biopsy? (and I hope that turned out ok...) Patiently awaiting the Skagit report...
                    xor

Yup, same race as Jon and Enke Dinke Bottle of Inke. I did rest up and take it easy. I was told "no running for 48 hours, and then go easy after that". So I started running at hour 49. Slowly.

xor

El mensaje duplicado!

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Robert, Reading your RRs is always a lot fun, keep them coming!!! I run the SJJ trail everyday since it is in my backyard. Now..., how many thousand times should I run up that hill on UWB campus to be ready for White River??? See you at another Seattle area race soon! Francesca
                            Yup, same race as Jon and Enke Dinke Bottle of Inke.
                            slowpez, you been drinking?? Wink

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

xor

Robert, Reading your RRs is always a lot fun, keep them coming!!! I run the SJJ trail everyday since it is in my backyard. Now..., how many thousand times should I run up that hill on UWB campus to be ready for White River??? See you at another Seattle area race soon! Francesca
                              Hi Frahnc. I do not know the answer to your question, but I believe the answer is "infinity". Will you be coming up to Bellingham at the end of the month? If so, I'll see you there. I'm also probably doing the Bob Green Halloween Marathon. I only recommend that race if you know what you are getting into with a Bob Green affair...

xor

slowpez, you been drinking?? Wink
                                Sorry, no. But everytime I see someone shorten your name to 'enke', my brain pronounces it as "inky" or "inka". And that makes me think of the game 'inka dink', last seen on an early episode of Seinfeld.