Masters Running

40s 50s 60s On the Run - Summer Session 2014 (Read 21 times)

Are we going to try to get this thread going again???

I know Arla's out doing her thing on the John Muir trail, or at least she'll be leaving soon.

I'm about 3+ weeks out from Mt. Hood 50 and feeling good (knock on wood).

What's up with everyone else??

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Hey Leslie, love the "summer session" idea!

I'm still here, although I've been out on trails a lot, doing some "fastpacking" that I'm logging as trail "runs". It turns out that my fast backpacking pace is about the same as my trail "running" pace. For as lame as that sounds, it turns out that trail "running" and fast packing make me a faster runner on the flats here in town. Maybe two weeks on the John Muir Trail will do amazing things for my running?

Ex runner

Well, as everybody always says, hill work is speed work in disguise.  I'm a good power walker, and when I'm really tired can power walk faster than I can run.  With the low HR training I've been doing, I've become much more proficient at hill hiking, as well.  I have no doubt that's what saved my rear end at the Trail Factor 50k over Memorial Day Weekend and let me to a 50k PR.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

6 miles with 3x1 mile tempo miles this a.m.  I think I pushed it too hard, but I was surprised at the times I managed to grunt out, given how tired my legs felt yesterday - somewhere around 8:50, 8:43, and 8:38.  The last one had the benefit of some slight downhill.  On July 4, I'll be running my first 5k race in a very long time, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

And that's about it.  Got a load of work sitting on my desk staring at me, so I best get to it.  Later ~

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - 3 x 1mi tempo - that's a tough workout!

A few days after I complete (hopefully) the John Muir Trail my little 50-state threesome is doing the Crater Lake Marathon. Should be ready for the 6 - 8000' elevation after spending a couple of weeks mostly above 8000', but still think it's going to be a loooong day, there's something like 2600' of climbing, and the worst climb starts at mile 24. HOWEVER, there are usually well under 100 runners and AG awards go five deep, so I'm hoping for an AG award. 

Ex runner

Let's hear it for 5-deep AG awards!!

You'll do great ~~

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance