Masters Running

Saturday, 3.19.16 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry, no time to ketchup this morning.

7.7 RW miles this morning after deciding not to sleep in 'cause I thought I likely wouldn't get back to sleep anyway. Maybe later.

Fleet feet and big happy grins for all who are racing today. And for everyone - have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Sorry, no time to ketchup this morning.

Gosh, and I always relish those recaps.....

I'm not sure what I will do today.  I have a 20-miler scheduled for tomorrow and I haven't had a rest day this week, and also it is raining outside, so I may just do some weights and core and forego my run. We will see.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

good morning jay and holly and everyone else

who's taking time to post for us this Saturday.

Woke up at 3:50am in time to be able to start off a big GS day off with two cross-training circuits of the 1/4 mile paved perimeter of the nearby Rotary Pond (now full of quacking ducks picking out their nesting sites) with a push-broom in front of me clearing out of the way all the little pebbles and thick sand that’d been spread on the icy hard-pack throughout the now long-gone winter in case someone <<<(that would be GS)>>> would appreciate a smooth surface to scooter around with his friend before (or after) we go skiing..  Yippee.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Slo

For those that asked yesterday Starr, Aamos - Green Bay training is somewhat on track. Planning a 17 miler tomorrow. It will be slow and ugly and my longest run in likely over three years.

An easy 4 miles this am...naked, no garmin or any type of timing device.

Morning all - well for about 15 more minutes it's morning here anyway!!

Welcome Spinach!!

Great photos this week from Ribs, Posai and of course Steve and I loved the pic of the runner vs jogger!!

No idea where I stand on that category these days. My head says I'm a runner but my body is saying otherwise these days!!

Went out for a 5:30am run Thursday with some of my Sole Sisters and about a mile into my run I took a header!! Was about to cross a side street and there was an area that probably was damaged from a snow plow - hit the pot hole and tripped over the boulder it had ripped up!!

My right hand, elbow and knee took the brunt of the fall - my knee is a mess, but at least it didn't rip my running tights!! The rest of the run was slow but at least uneventful and we finished with 3.4 miles

Today tried the running thing again, but waited for daylight!! (well actually well after sunrise)

Ran 3.5 miles with my average pace under 10 min/mile for the first time since this whole sciatica/piriformis thing started!! I did stop my watch today for 2 short walk breaks. Legs feel like lead and like I'm running thru mud but hopefully I'll see more improvement soon!!

Have a wonderful Saturday my friends!!

denise

mrrun

Ran the local popsicle race with LaT this morning  then we all went out for coffee - what a glorious way to start the day!

Happy Saturday all and fleet feet to all racers,

marj

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

46F

12 miles

Yes, Marj, glorious is how I would describe the morning run! Happy for you and LaT.

Carol, Pamela, Ralph, and I ran a different way from the fast group. We ran to the James River in time to see the magnificent purple and pink sky peaking up through the trees. We were all agog for the sight. I was in front and heading across a bridge when I saw two teenage fawns staring at me. Picture Elf with outstretched arms toward the racoon. The deer were running toward me and then everyone behind me started yelling and I thought for sure one of those fawns was going to accidentally commit suicide by leaping over the guardrail into College Creek.  At the very last second, the fawn jumped and made a muddy ground landing and headed up the bank. The other one jumped safely on the other side and then over to its sibling.

Not nearly as frightening as Erika's moose encounter but I was shaken. I thought it was my fault.

Then we turned around and ran back to town where we went in search of the baby lambs. We found them in the pasture near Christiana Campbell's tavern.

So that was an interesting morning.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Sayhey! MM#130

All kinds of portentous happenings already!  Take care folks!

um so tet, how did DD learn of your quick trip back for the trunks???

not too swift today but not a lot of competition at the 5K.....people must be saving it for the half tomorrow.  Too many half marathons! This will be the third in three weeks.....getting in the way of long runs, even though I try and tack on some miles before and after.

not following march madness much but for watching parts of games and results....much more enjoyable without a bracket, I'm finding.

so just 9.1--the 5k and 3 before/3 after at pretty Jaycee Park in Cape Coral.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

evanflein

um so tet, how did DD learn of your quick trip back for the trunks???

That's what I want to know... and I'm sure he was fine. I was frequently accused of being too generous with letting them out to wander and do their own thing. Hey, my mom always wondered if she'd see me for dinner. And I was off on a cantankerous pony most of the time!

Deez, glad the tights are ok (that is important, ya know) but I hope all the really important parts are ok. Good for you for getting back to it, slow and steady. I hope Steven is recovering well.

Nice that Marj, Henrun and LaT got together today! The worst part of not running Boston is missing you guys.

RCG, yikes! The babies were ok? I'd be terrified of them breaking those fragile looking legs!

Basketball... heh, I'm just watching from a distance, really, but DH's AZ Wildcats were taken out by Wichita State early on, and now Wichita just lost to Miami, or something like that. So not sure how much we'll be watching now.

Our forecast was for snow last night, and 3-12 inches today. Guess what. Nada so far. I'm planning a short TM run today (because hey, it was going to be snowing, right?) but now I'm not so sure. The advantage is, I don't have to go anywhere. Something about working long hours makes a day at home all day very appealing. Tomorrow was going to be 14-16 long run, but if we do get all that snow I'm not sure where I'll run (no plows on Saturday night/Sunday). These are what are known as first world problems, right?

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I woke up this morning and thought, "Man, I wish I hadn't signed up for that stupid race!"  But...I got myself read, got in the car and headed down the road.  It had snowed a little, last night, making the roads pretty slick and I thought, "Man, I wish I hadn't signed up for this stupid race!"  But I continued.  The exit I was supposed to take off the freeway was blocked by emergency vehicles because of the slick roads and I thought--okay--say it with me-- "Man, I wish I hadn't signed up for this stupid race!"  But, once I got there, and started talking to other runners, I started feeling kind of glad I went.  The race went okay.  My goal was to just go under 31 minutes and ended up with 30:33 for the 8K.  Even though, I was able to get under my goal, I just can't help but think of how I used to fight through pain and, now--I just can't get myself to go.  I used to fight so hard to not let people pass me--now--I put on a little surge but, quickly, back off because I'm afraid I'll die.  Oh well--it is what it is.

I ran into HermosaBoy--he had a ridiculous time of 28 something--but it was nice to talk to him.

So--I was on a cool down with a couple teammates, running back up the race course.  We saw an old man with just under a mile to go and he was really struggling.  A police car, sweeping the course, was right behind him.   We offered some encouragement and kept going.  A couple seconds later, the police car came back to us and asked if we would run the old guy in.  They were worried about him and he refused to get off the course.  So, we turned around, caught him, and started running with him--okay--we were walking while he was running.  He was 86 years old and was completely embarrassed at how slow he was running.  He kept saying, "This is so ridiculous!"  "My legs just aren't working!"  Things like that.  Of course, we tried to tell him he was fine and that he should be proud of himself for even being out there.  Then he told us about his younger days...and how, at one time, he held the American records for the 1 mile and the 1500...His name is Bill Fraser.  We continued to "run" him in as he told of other ridiculous times that he had in his "younger" days--like running a 27 minute 8k at age 57.  As I watched him cross the finish line, I thought, "Man, I'm glad I signed up for this race!"

Okay--gotta go!  See ya!

Mariposai

What a great story,  MikeE.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Henrun

So--I was on a cool down with a couple teammates, running back up the race course.  We saw an old man with just under a mile to go and he was really struggling.  A police car, sweeping the course, was right behind him.   We offered some encouragement and kept going.  A couple seconds later, the police car came back to us and asked if we would run the old guy in.  They were worried about him and he refused to get off the course.  So, we turned around, caught him, and started running with him--okay--we were walking while he was running.  He was 86 years old and was completely embarrassed at how slow he was running.  He kept saying, "This is so ridiculous!"  "My legs just aren't working!"  Things like that.  Of course, we tried to tell him he was fine and that he should be proud of himself for even being out there.  Then he told us about his younger days...and how, at one time, he held the American records for the 1 mile and the 1500...His name is Bill Fraser.  We continued to "run" him in as he told of other ridiculous times that he had in his "younger" days--like running a 27 minute 8k at age 57.  As I watched him cross the finish line, I thought, "Man, I'm glad I signed up for this race!"

Okay--gotta go!  See ya!

Mike, as i read your story tears came to my eyes. That could have been me! In less than a month I'll be 82 and I'm getting slower and slower and my R knee is killing me. This morning, as La T and Marj ran their 2.5 mile "non competitive" race I covered the same course (having started ahead of them) as walkers passed by me. I was wearing my Boston marathon jacket and one young lady asked me if I had run it. I answered "yes, I've run a few". I finished my "run" as the 5 milers came in and La T and Marj walking beside me. Why do I do it? Because "running" is my passion and as long as I can do it (and, yes, I do get embarrassed at my snail's pace at times) I will!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I am proud to know you, Mike E.

I am proud to know you, Henry.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Mike, as i read your story tears came to my eyes. That could have been me! In less than a month I'll be 82 and I'm getting slower and slower and my R knee is killing me. This morning, as La T and Marj ran their 2.5 mile "non competitive" race I covered the same course (having started ahead of them) as walkers passed by me. I was wearing my Boston marathon jacket and one young lady asked me if I had run it. I answered "yes, I've run a few". I finished my "run" as the 5 milers came in and La T and Marj walking beside me. Why do I do it? Because "running" is my passion and as long as I can do it (and, yes, I do get embarrassed at my snail's pace at times) I will!

Henry, your post brought tears to MY eyes! You are such an inspiration to all of us who post here. If I can continue to run well into my 80's - and I'm already slower than dirt - my running life will be blessed. I'm sorry your knee is still giving you problems, and I hope it won't get to the point you can't run any more. Great job today!

Your post was great Mike. And please don't complain about being slow. Trust me - you don't know what that is!

Sorry about the wipe-out Deez - glad you're back out on the roads though. How is Steven doing these days?

Hi Slo!

Nice racing Aamos!

I was also wondering how your trip home was discovered Tet. Usually kids don't tattle because they know when they have a good thing

Well, the lice problem is under control. The boys all got their heads shaved last night! They all look like little cue balls.  My DIL texted me that so many things were going wrong at their house, it was like a passage from the book of Job in the bible. I told her to wait, that the locusts hadn't shown up yet

9.75 miles this morning in 29° and a nice "brisk" wind out of the NW. I tried to get the extra .25 to hit double digits but my legs were toast. I am getting my running totals up to 30 mpw which, in the big picture of things, most of you run on a weekend, but I feel like I'm making a little progress anyway.

It's been college basketball at my house this weekend. Every day. All day. It's all good though. Enjoy the rest of your Saturday everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

I am proud to know you, Mike E.

I am proud to know you, Henry.

Me too!  Me too!

Jlynne - DD picked up head lice at school 3 times (although the last time we caught it very early on), and the thing about girls is, you don't get to just shave their heads.  Especially mine, who has long, extremely thick hair.  So, that meant I spent many a night with a headlamp and a comb, carefully going through her hair a quarter inch at a time, carefully taking out nits (basically every 2-3 days for a couple of weeks for each infestation).

No run for me today, no exercise, nada.  Just ran errands and puttered around the house and ate lunch out with DH.  Now I am baking a cake for DS and his friends since they will be coming over later and taking over the family room downstairs for video games.  A good Saturday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."