Masters Running

Lincoln Marathon (Read 262 times)

TomD

This one was very cloudy at the beginning, but cleared up after a couple of hours. It was around 50 at the start and near 70 at the end. It became very sunny, but no wind. My goal is to top the 4:35 from two weeks ago with my 3 miles of training since then. This is a less difficult course, so maybe I can beat 4:30 if things go well. I start in the back aways and it took me 2:31 to get to the start. My goal is to stay around 9 minutes until Mile 9 where there is the biggest hill on the course. Here I will try for 10 minute miles until about Mile 15-21 where I usually slow down some. I hope to run steady after 20 miles or so to the finish. The last 1.2 miles here should be faster for it turns into a nice down hill for about a mile then it flattens out to the finish. Well, the first eight miles went very well at a 8:59 pace. Mile 9 was a 9:44. I was able to stay around this pace for quite awhile. At the half I was at 2:01:02. Just what I was hoping for to be a little over 2 hours. Mile 14, I start running with a couple from Texas with the woman running her 45th state. Like most runners she could hardly believe I was running my 281st marathon. After a couple of miles I slowed down a little. I start running around 11 minute miles now. This part of the course is mostly flat to mile 19. It does have a few small hills. I see and run with many friends here and there for short distances. The second half I run pretty much by myself, which is what I usually do. Although today it is more about therapy than time. Mile 19, I am at 3:00. Better than I had hoped and about a mile ahead of two weeks ago. As long as I can run around this time or even a little slower I should better 4:30. Mile 20 you go through Woods Park and Mile 21 goes back through it the other way. At Mile 21, I am still running 11 minute miles. Mile 22 and Mile 23 I run near 12 minute miles. I am sore, but not to the point where I need to worry about walking. I have walked through a few aid stations to get in as much fluids as possible. I do not like the heat. Mile 24, I am back to 11 minute mile again. Sore but one more mile and that nice downhill comes up. Mile 25, it is another 11 minute mile. There is a small, but steep hill here, but I do not let it slow me down. I can see a possible sub 4:20 coming up. Mile 26, it is very tempting to walk here, but what is the point this is the a very nice downhill. I have been passing many runners, but now I am passing a lot more and I see many that left me behind miles ago. Some are even walking. I run this 1.2 miles in just over 11 minutes. I finish very strong and here others yelling at me "That's the way to go. And "Finishing strony, Yeah." My finishing time is 4:18:04. My clock time would be around 4:20:35. I feel really good about this and get congratulation for bettering my goal. When I went back to my car refresh myself before going to the post party and awards, I did not try to call Donna as I did two weeks ago. So maybe that is a positive. It would be nice to call someone when I did realy well that was really happy for me as Donna was. Oh well that day will come again. It was good to be around so many friends this weekend. Although TIMTAM next week will be very small in number, there will be a lot of friends there. The RD at this one was one of Donna's favorite people in my running circle. We spent hours with him afterwards last year. It was about 6:30pm when we finally left. Next in TIMTAM a 50k in Ames, Iowa. My goal is something I will do for this one is for Donna and about Donna. I will better my time last year. I plan on bring a lot of fruit as Donna did the last couple of years. I am also donating 30+ stuffed animals of Donna's for the finishers that want one in the memory of Donna.
    RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Nice, strong, therapeutic run, TomD! ~ buehrle aka rosecoloredglasses (we met in Omaha, 2005)

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

coastwalker

HI Tom, Nice racing, and great job of beating your goal time! It's great that you race such a good race, and that you still had time to spend with friends along the way, as well as after the race. I'm sure they were all glad to see you. Good luck at the TIMTAM. I'm sure Donna would smile because you'll be bringing fruit, and at your donation of the stuffed animals. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good job TomD. Not only the race but the way you're honoring Donna. She is smiling. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good, strong run Tom and as breger says here---Donna is smiling and with you each step of the way. I'll be looking forward to the next report. I know your friends will be so glad to see you.
            Mariposai

I was deligthed to read this report. Just the fact that you went out to run a marathon makes us all happy. Gret job, great effort and great time.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

Nice job, Tom. Glad to see you're keeping up the amazing race schedule.

Be safe. Be kind.

Tom, congratulations on #281 and beating your goal. You are an inspiration. TomS
                    It really says a lot about your fitness that you can run a marathon pretty fast after so little running lately. Good luck with the next one, and I like your idea with the stuffed animals.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

This is great to read. Running is so therapeutic, and gets you back to doing the things that TomD does. I think Donna would be very happy for you.
                        Nice race, Tom. I'll see you in Ames for # 282.
                          One day at a time, Tom, just the way you are doing it. Glad to read this. Thinking of you, A
                          Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #957

Great job, Tom! I hope things are easing up a bit for you, although I know it will take a long time yet for the heaing. Good luck next week!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hill Runner

Tom, nice run and it's good to see you running marathons again. ...looking forward to meeting you at the Charlotte Thunder Road marathon in Dec.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

nice job Tom!! hope to see you continue to grow stronger as your heart keeps healing.

denise