Masters Running

40+'s On The Run W/E 5/9 (Read 436 times)

Top 'O the World!

"We do not remember days; we remember moments." - Cesare Pavese What an exciting weekend!! Anticipating race news from Joe & Arla..... 50-1 upset/stunning win @ the Kentucky Derby by a "local" owner - can't find the article back but, "Doc" is from Yuma, CO.....Cinco de Mayo stuff about town.... Shocked.........& Me & Mairead went to the Furry Scurry! a 2 mile run/walk around Washington park done annually as a fundraiser for the Denver Dumb Friends League. Another MASSIVE event! the only running done here was in the agility courses or before/after event! The "leaders' were coming in as the last of the participants was finally able to head out! 2 solid miles of people with their dogs in one continuous loop around the "pond!" lotsa vendors. lotsa giveaways. activities. dog treats (including ice cream), dog toys, micro-chipping, ...... Mairead had a great time! but no run. Oh, & she's not too keen on the people dressed as giant stuffed dogs! There were several people dressed as "dogs" giving directions to things like registration, porta-potties, etc....I didn't even initially really notice them, until Mairead locked up & backed into me! The "dog/person" noticed her skepticism & tried to "play" with her, down on his knees, peek-a-boo, etc....she wasn't havin NONE of it! We attracted several other people to the "spectacle' for a bit.. Big grin tooo funny! Cool & drizzly here too.... great day to pick up our new mini boat! it fits ON the motorcycle trailer!..... this is a long & somewhat entertaining story that I'll have to regale you with sometime Wink Hope everyone has a Fabulous Week!!! Cindy
    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
      mtnchk......the furry scurry sounds fun. Yes, please share your boat story with us. Yes, eager waiting on Joe and Arla. Woods Lady also has a run this weekend. The Eugen 5K, I believe. Woods.....don't keep us in suspense for too long!
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

A solemn slog through the mud for 10 today trying to focus on the good times with my best girl. Thanks all for the condolances. Hope our weekend racers are having great days. thanks for the funny Mairead story Cindy, she was probably a thinking I don't know what you are but I know you are NOT a dog. MTA loved the derby with the ex bronc rider trainer upsetting the deep pockets owner's horses and all the subsequent whining about how some of the other horses had mud in their eye etc., what was Mine that Bird racing on a different track???? Lincoln Nebraska marathon today and we have a few local connections running the full and the half. Silly folks in the Cornhusker State should know better than to schedule it during corn planting. Roll eyes Dang sure keeps me out even tho we are still on rain delay. I have been using my farming skills helping Jonathan turn a sandbur patch back to native grass species west of his house. Yesterday we couldn't work in our fields so I took my small sprayer on the four wheeler down and sprayed it for him and he gave me this really cool tech run coat as payment. I got to try it out today, very nice. jc

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Those who conquer Others are Strong. Those who conquer Themselves are Mighty. Seen on the sign in front of St Michael’s Church, hard by the ocean and on today's NJ Marathon course: It gave me goose bumps as I read that, because it sums up this thing called Marathon running pretty well. Here's the long and short of today's race for me. I may just cut and paste this version over in the racing forum, but I'll give it to you guys first, cause you're so cool. Steady rain today at the Jersey Shore, temps about 57*. Very little wind. Despite putting in so many training miles, I had trouble from the beginning keeping up with the 4:15 pace group .I didn't have a race in 6 months time, so my projected pace was a bit of a guess .Fooled myself into thinking things would get better for me (it did at times) up until about mile12. At that point, not only did I fall off that pace (slightly ,about 15 secs per mile) I was also seriously considering bagging it at the half way point. This is a 1 lap half marathon course, twice around for the full. Going by the Start/Finish line, it was very tempting to quit right there. I was really struggling and came close to walking off the course. I couldn't do it. I thought about my kids and all the people (you folks too) that I would have to explain that to. Pretty lame. No wearing the cool tech shirt with NJ Marathon on it , no cool magnet with NJM 26.2 stuck to the back of the car. Of course, those are not the most important reasons for not giving up, ( please see above). So I just convinced myself to keep going, even if I had to walk the whole way. I didn't even have to walk that much. I dropped my pace, allowed myself to walk through the fluid stations, which were laid out in 2 mile intervals. Also, a lot of mental pressure came off on that second lap. I treated it as an out and back, and all that I had to do was get myself back. I finished the last 6 miles strong (unlike my first marathon) and I believe that my fastest mile was the last one. Went into the race thinking I could easily do a 4:15 , maybe even close to a 4:00. I was so wrong. I did beat my first marathon time of 4:25 by only 3 minutes, with an unofficial time of 4:22. But I'm not at all disappointed. I consider all of it a learning process. I learned a lot (about running and myself) both during the race, and during the many, many hours of training. So now it's time to take a little break. Many slow easy trail runs are on the agenda for now. But I know that when the summer's about half way over, it'll be time to start training for another full marathon in the fall. Thanks for listening. Smile

Joe, congratulations for another big red bar! Even though you didn't get the time you had hoped for, you did PR and finished strong. That is a testament to your strong training. Now take a rest.....you deserve it. I see you taking your fitness gained in this session and coupling it with another session, as you said, in the middle of summer for that next fall marathon. Once again.....nice going!
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Nice Job Joe, learning and improving with every one. From the OC race site looks like Arla had a very succesful run also. WL how did it go for you.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Yes, I checked her results.....WTG Arla!

jfa

Excellent Arla! Can't wait to hear about it and from Woods Lady !! Thanks guys, I'm learnin' !

Joe -- Awesome finish, fabulous lessons, and incredible message! From couch to 5K to two big red bars. You are an inspiration! Arla -- can't wait to hear about your experience....sounds like it was a good one. Woods -- did you make it to your race, or will we need to reserve our cheering for the next one?
                    Progress Trumps Pefection
                      Nice Scurry run for Cindy and Mairead. Joe - Nice job on the PR! And way to gut it out when you so badly wanted to quit. You hung in there and ended up finishing strong. Now it's time to sit back, take it easy on those trails, and continue to build on that great base and conditioning you already have. Nothin' for me today. It's a rest day by the ole schedule - thankfully. Had another couple over yesterday, and even though for the entire evening I only had 3 margaritas, we didn't get to bed 'til almost 1:00. Ugh! I'm such a wimp in the "partying" department. Later!

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I just found Arla's results. Way to go, Arla!! I swear, you and Joe are marathon runnin' fools!! Big grin

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

HUGE CONGRATS to Joe & Arla!! Cool Cool ..... look again @ my opening quote! Wink
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                            Congrats Joe......so glad you had the determination to continue on. C25k to running a marathon is quite an accomplishment. Now go enjoy those trails with Buddy! Way to go.... Sounds as though congrats is in order for Arla as well. I'll wait for her to post........ Last week of school this week (4 finals), knee is feeling good, and I even got a 2 miler in Saturday morning! Have a great week everyone......... Jewels
                            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                              another WTG to ultra.....she ran a 12 mile trail? run with over 3700' elevation climb Shocked. See her report on the Sunday daily...page two. Nice going Ultra!
                                3700 feet of climbing in 12 miles - I think Kelly is a mountain goat! Way to go, you trail runnin' freak! (Hey - I can call her that 'cause I am, too. Big grin ) For Jewels: School's out for summer School's out forever School's been blown to pieces No more pencils No more books No more teacher's dirty looks Well we got no class And we got no principles And we got no innocence We can't even think of a word that rhymes Jewels - Glad your knee is feeling good. Do you still plan to have it check out? Tapering this week, so after today I get to take it easy. Two fun things happened on my runs from Saturday and today. Saturday - let me start with Trail #12 is a decent freaking climb, and it's the one Coach tortures us with when he's getting us ready for a lot of climbing - like climbing it 3 or 4 times back-to-back. I think round trip is 3 miles. Going up ain't some much fun, but coming down, it's downhill all the way and is steepest toward the top. Well, after I got past a gravely patch, I decided to see how fast I could come down while still feeling in control. At one point, I snuck a peak at my Garmin and was doing a 6:04 av pace. Woo hoo! I had a blast! I finally decided to slow it down when I came to an area that's sort of rutted. Didn't want to splatter myself on the trail a week before my run. But doggone that was fun! Big grin Then this morning, I had 6 miles to do. At about the 5.5 mile mark I peaked at my Garmin and realized if I pushed it I could do the 6 miles in under an hour. Did it in 58:25, and that was with a couple of good climbs. My best time before that was 1:01:34. It helps that there was about a half mile section of steady decline, but with the two hills I ran without stopping, I figure it all evened out. I am pretty darn happy with that result. Finished 6.11 miles in 59:38.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance