Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 6.9.14 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Interesting tale about the traps, TomW, and how the break-ins stopped as soon as you told the cops about those traps. Hmm....

Great idea about the apple bin gardens, Mariposai! And I'm glad you are recovering well from your marathon.

Stumpy, no excuses needed for your 'creaky' 5-miler. You got it done - 'nuff said.

Congrats for jumping back into racing with a 10K, Ribs! Well done.

I'm sorry the weather took you down, Marj, but I'm also very glad that you are OK. Despite that, it sounds like you had a good family day at the races.

"I drank a lot of water and ate a big dinner, and am still down a pound this morning." That's a heck of a diet, Evanflein! I'm glad your plan was to take it easy on yesterday's 13-miler, and that you went far enough to get you 52+ for the week.

Steve, my means of transporting mulch is a wheelbarrow - another workout for my legs! Nice 3-fer for you and Tag. Looks like Tag has a new dog to worry about - I hope he and Marley learn to get along.

Nice run with Remi, Enke. 62F can feel quite warm if you're not used to it. Congrats on taking the weekend off from work.

Nice running and hiking and egg-delivering, Lamerunner. I hope your DD was impressed that the eggs all arrived intact.

It seems that your family B&B is in full swing, Starr. We've had summers like that, and it is always fun to have company, but it can be a lot of work. I'm glad you got out for a walk and a bike ride. Good luck with the hip this week.

"BOOGA, BOOGA, BOOGA" can scare some little kids away, but I don't know how well it works on snakes. I imagine a 4.5 hour dance recital could be pretty tough. I suppose BOOGA, BOOGA, BOOGA wouldn't have helped much there...

Mike, HERE is a link to great information on how to design and create a rain garden in your swale.  The information is from Wisconsin, but most is applicable anywhere. HERE is another good site, this one from CT. Also, if you are near a university that has a Cooperative Extension, they may be able to provide some good, localized information as well. A local nursery should be able to help you select native plants that can tolerate a lot of water upon occasion.

Monday is my usual SRD. But I was so achy from yesterday's yard work that I decided to go out for a few easy miles just to stretch my muscles and get rid of the aches. So I did a 5K, and it did the job. DW and I got a lot done yesterday, but we are both glad that it is Monday and that we can go to the office, where the work is less physically-taxing. A toad jumped into our garage yesterday, and now we don't know if it is still hiding in there, or has left for greener pastures. So we're just leaving the door open as much as we can, and hoping that it gets the hint.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Morning Jay - Oh wait --- you probably call this afternoon!!

I really did stay in bed until an obscene time this morning -- think I slept about 11 hours!!  Not sure what is going on with me but I do have a dr appt at 11:30.   Woke up yesterday with the vertigo pretty much at bay so went out and did easy 7.5 miles to get the day started right, unfortunately the vertigo continued in waves throughout the day

Picked up my little Maria since her mom and dad are suffering from either spring head colds or bad allergies --- I love having that baby!!  Brought her to church, my nieces h.s. graduation and the big party afterwards!!  She's like a little koala bear the way she clings to me and my dh but eventually warms up and delights her fans -- as long as they dont try to hold her!!

Holly and Posai - your recovery runs alone amaze me never mind what you did to need the recovery!!

Ribs - nice job on your 10k

Erika -- great running week for you --- I couldnt even hit 20 this week and here you are passing 50!!  --- Hey why don't you head east and run Reach the Beach with us!!

Lamerunner is running the Vermont 50k!!  I really was considering that or getting a relay started, but with RTB and trying to choose a fall marathon, I'm not sure Vermont is going to make the schedule

BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA - hehehe

Irishguy - nice pic on your race report!!

Have a Magnificent Monday my friends!!

denise

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Monday morning!

Admission: eschewed the boyz on the field for one night to watch the singing and dancing folks (always love the Tonys) and it seems to have worked! Yay David and Hooray Neil Patrick Harris!

Wow, hope the “cheeseburger in paradise” didn’t cause the side stitch, Holly! Kudos on another 50K; even tho I’ve now completed one, I still am in awe of you folks who do them on a regular (“oops, I forgot I have one coming up in a week!&rdquoWink basis. Agree with tc on that.

Also agree with him on the HS chums, Mike. Eejits.

Congrats Nancy! I think there are some challenges you overcame to complete marathon #32 that you are downplaying. Thanks for the photo.  And nice going irishguy.

Good run in the double digits, tselbs, and thanks for the acknowledgement. More on LRs in a bit.

And congrats Ribs on completing a 10K so soon after your surgical ordeal, and in decent time. Of course, the real feat was digesting the Denny’s fare.

Bleh to those renters, Erika.  Looking forward to your marathon training reports; you will conquer that race at the rate you are going.

Looking forward to your Bighorns report, Carolyn. Some of my former running chums will be there. Glad you got in a run this weekend; your weather made the national news.

Fingers crossed for your HM, Enke. And may Goatboy choke on a tincan.

Hiya LR and SR, and CNY! And another RAer joins the Vermont crew.

Still lol at the trap business, tw and Kevin. (You are quite the bikerdude, tw.)

Neat note about the donor, Jay. <and hope that toad is on his way wherever…>

Take care, deez and Marg.  M-Glad you are ok (and love your note about skipping the dance recital.) D- be sure to post the doctor's report?

Tested my theory that I make too much of a mountain out of the weekend long run (since I don’t run so many marathons, the regular long run seems to loom [too] large to me.)

Saturday: As planned, ended the 20 miler with the track club 5K fun run. Ate well Friday, got to bed early, got up early (out before 5), took it slow (10 minute miles for the 1st 5 or so), quick break at mile 11 or so for a refueling stop and turned into Hammond Stadium just as the gun went off. Started at the back of pack and worked my way up, needed to keep running just a bit after the finish to get the distance. End result: 20 miles at 9:24.

Sunday: Plan is to run just by feel, as long as I want. Met with other runners as usual at 6am, ran with them to the bridge for some repeats. We broke ranks there; I did 3 round trips. On the way back, stopped to refill my water and checked distance, at about 12 miles. Felt good, kept on, (Miami Sound Machine and Bette on the shuffle gave me a big boost) checked watch and was at 17.2 so rounded out the run. End result: 18 miles at 8:51.

I think I need to think less, run more.

p.s. Marley who?  Tag, you're still the best dog in America.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Glad you are okay Marj, and for all of you who have never gone to the med tent, just know that if you have any doubts or concerns, get them to check you out.  Sometimes it's heat exhaustion, BP or something else, but always best to be safe.

Posting a bit late today.  Some guy just called my office phone, said he was "Kevin" and only needed to double check my copier registration number.  I said, "Sure, be right back," and set the phone down on my desk and went back to what I was doing.  Who ever falls for that old one?

Was gloating yesterday on FB about completing my tenK yesterday and a friend who was there and ran in the same race posted that she heard my name called during the awards ceremony, so I looked it up.  Sure enough, 3rd of 9 in my AG.  Who woulda thought?

Raining here but I didn't need to do much anyway, so I ran a mile on the indoor track at the Y in 9:43, then did a full flexibility workout.  Spareribs

Nice racing:  Holly for 50K, mari for a marathon, and ribs for a 10K.  Nice long runs for evan.

This morning, it was in the low 50s and there was a light wind.  I had an eye appointment relatively early but was able to get in 4 miles at a 10:42 pace before I went.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

TammyinGP

Good Morning! I skimmed the wknd dailies and, once again, am impressed by the great running and racing here. And Marj, so glad your visit to the med tent was brief and you are fine. That's kind of scary!

MikeE, can you please attach a video camera to yourself when you go out running? no reason in particular.

Super busy this week at work. All my Motions in Limine are due on Monday for a murder case i'm working on. I will be so glad when we finalized them, filed them and I can move on to other "easier" things. 

So, David and I were in a race on Saturday. He took 2nd OA in the 5K, which was not even a 5K, more like a 2.7 mi race. My 10K was also very short. by a mile. I have a list of so many things that were done poorly, not executed, etc. and have been going back and forth on writing an email to the RD about all of it. I'm a pretty laid back person and don't let just a few little race snafu's bother me. it happens. this was beyond that. Do RD's really even care to get critical feedback? I can certainly word things to be respectful yet get my point across about how badly this race was organized and executed, but wondering if it's even worth it. hmmm, i'll have to think on that one. . .

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Sure enough, 3rd of 9 in my AG.  Who woulda thought?

just another one of the advantages ya gotta love about getting old.

ps - maybe ilene could entertain pre-race motions in limine

authorizing (or banning) certain attires, color combinations, etc.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Saturday: As planned, ended the 20 miler with the track club 5K fun run. Ate well Friday, got to bed early, got up early (out before 5), took it slow (10 minute miles for the 1st 5 or so), quick break at mile 11 or so for a refueling stop and turned into Hammond Stadium just as the gun went off. Started at the back of pack and worked my way up, needed to keep running just a bit after the finish to get the distance. End result: 20 miles at 9:24.

Sunday: Plan is to run just by feel, as long as I want. Met with other runners as usual at 6am, ran with them to the bridge for some repeats. We broke ranks there; I did 3 round trips. On the way back, stopped to refill my water and checked distance, at about 12 miles. Felt good, kept on, (Miami Sound Machine and Bette on the shuffle gave me a big boost) checked watch and was at 17.2 so rounded out the run. End result: 18 miles at 8:51.

I think I need to think less, run more.

Now THAT is some amazing running!

No run for me today, just some core work.    I took on this 30-day ab challenge (look at my FB page if you want the details), and it is grueling.  My lower abs are sore today.  I'm not sure if I will make it through the month, partly because these full sit-ups are tough on my back, and also because I invariably get side-tracked at some point on these challenges, but I will endeavor to try.

Softball game for DD tonight.  I love to watch that girl play.  School just ended, but she will be busy this summer.  She is going into the 7th grade, and so now will be starting school sports instead of rec, and is signed up for school basketball camp and tennis camp, in addition to her golf league that starts next week.  She loves it, though, and loves to be always doing something.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

No real answers on the vertigo   Seems like peripheral rather than central (brain-related) vertigo which is a good thing.  He did an Epley's manuever, suggested antivert (meclizine)  which I've taken the otc version at times.   Also, doesn't really think it's allergy related since I have no other allergy symptoms, but no solid answers.  ..... so annoying!!  Oh - and he said I probably shouldn't be driving --- what would he think about running and biking?    I just want to get off this cruise ship to nowhere!!

p.s.   Marj - hope you are feeling better

p.s.s.  Aamos - you are truly a running maniac!!  I want to be just like you (when this ship stops moving)!!

denise

deez -  Cruise ship, that is an interesting description, the one I liked the best was walking on marshmallows to describe the feeling.

I did 4.4 miles this morning!  The exclamation mark is because this was my 3rd day in a row of running, with no knee pain whatsoever!!

Nice long runs there Aamos.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

AAmos

Ribs, congrats on your AG win!!!

No running for me today, but a nice yoga session.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I need to go back and look at the weekend's activities, but . . .

Congrats to Ribs on his placement!

Yea, Enke on the no knee pain!

Aamos - Amazing.

Marj - I have to see what happened, but I certainly hope you are feeling better.

Tammy - If the RD can't take constructive criticism, he/she shouldn't be an RD, but ask Jay!  He's been there/done that.

Sounds like some good racing this weekend.  Go job, Masters ~~

I had a tough 30k on Saturday (which I have to keep reminding myself was a support training run and NOT a race), and followed it up with 12 EZ on Sunday.  My legs were not happy Sunday, and they let me know it with even the slightest downhill or squat, and still aren't happy by the way they're acting when I have to walk down the stairs here at work.

On the upside, family is in the area camping and sightseeing for the week.  We had everyone over for dinner last night and ate WAY too much: smoked pork shoulder for pulled pork sandwiches, mac salad, coleslaw, choc cake, apple/blackberry cobbler, choc chip/nut cookes.  The Hub did everything but the coleslaw and the cake.  Crazy  man.  It was all soooooo good!

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Thanks Leslie. Maybe I should ask Jay to read my letter, which is now 1 1/2 pages . oops.  maybe some of what i'm critiquing is being petty? or I'm too wordy . . .

Tammy

mrrun

Thanks everyone for your concern.  I'm ok today and went for a 3 mile walk/run with no problems.  Next time a race is run in that kind of heat I'll probably pass.  Hopefully, October will be cooler for my next half and DD & DIL are going to try to sign up also!

marj

It is late, I am not going to run this week so this post is really about . . . nothing!  An hour on the elliptical.  Hmm, what else . . . running forum . . . not running this week . . . okay, that does it bye!

Well one more tidbit, we need one more runner to sign up for the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club relay team for this September's Reach the Beach Relay and we will be officially registered as a team!  Help us out and register for the team!  If a rolling party, with intermittent running and no sleep for 30 hours sounds like fun to you then this is your team!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/