Masters Running

Thursday daily (the original) 8-14-14 (Read 37 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Slow start for everyone, so there will likely be two or three other dailies by the time I finish.

3.1 lake loop for me this morning to shake things out after three days off.  5K Corporate Challenge race this evening.  Hope I can do a little better than this morning.  only 6000 people expected, so it's always a long slog to the start.  Not supposed to be too warm, so hope it hold.

good runs and good days to all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Felt more like October than August at 54F when I went out for my run this morning. I was comfortable in long sleeves and actually could have stood to be wearing gloves, but at least it was bright and sunny. Ran 8 with a friend at a faster pace than my last few runs and didn't even work up much of a sweat. IRC indeed!

The last two days I was with my DW and MIL at my friend's place on Harsen's Island, which is an island at the north end of Lake St. Clair, on the waterway between Lakes Huron and Erie. I always think about our Cool Running days when there because the one town on the island carries the name of one of our old friends from back then: Sans Souci!

Here's a picture of the house, which we had all to ourselves for two days:

It's right on the Great Lakes Shipping Channel. That's Ontario on the other side of the channel:

Nice to have such generous friends!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Good  Morning Kevin and Roch and all to follow!

Roch - that looks stunning!

5.8 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 68 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Nice digs Roch

A short but sweet and hill filled 40 minute run. No idea of pace or distance.

It's Miracle Network day at Dairy Queen...Treat yourselves to a Blizzard and help out a good cause.

King of PhotoShop

What a gorgeous house Roch!

Holly, take it easy on the miles. I want you all rested up for Mexico.

Can't believe Aamos ditched me for tomorrow, but there will be other days.

Got in 5.6 miles this morning and after yesterday's brisk 6, I was determined to run them easily and not step on the gas. So 2 miles into my run, a guy in my AG who runs the 50K in 4:30 or so is coming from the other direction, turns when he sees me and says, "Hey Ribs!  Let me run along with you."  So 2 miles later I'm back at my car gasping, and determined to do another mile easy, when along comes a friend of mine who runs way faster than I do and she wants to join me for a lap.  So much for taking it easy!

It was low 70's this morning, another chilly day here and what fun it is to be out for a run.  Spareribs

BlazinCajun

Been out awhile

Congrats to MikeE winning the 10K at the senior games

Shout out to the flash - Trackrat - new senior games 5K record

Slo_Hand - awesome that you are involved in your community as a volunteer - creating the trail for all those users is wonderful way to share your talent.

Happy Birthday Stumpy - Thanks for starting the Daily

TW - I guess pool running in the deep end without a belt resembles dog paddling?

AamosY - nice one mile repeats

Jay - Thanks for all your daily summaries

Roch - Enjoy your stay - looks very nice

Holly, we had a cooler morning down here as well plus the humidity was very low. Good job getting those miles in.

Got in some logging trail miles in this morning. Have to admit that there was one mile that was uphill where the bahia grass and lespedeza were intertwined to 2.5' and made running really difficult, but it was a workout none-the-less.

Just saw where Ribs was slacking during another run this morning - Must have felt good!

Andrew
              ------------------
              God, my Lord, is my strength;
              he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
              and enables me to go upon the heights.
              Hb 3:19

Roch - My goodness, that's an incredible place!

6000 people at a 5k?  Dang . . .

Our closest DQ is about 2 hrs north of us in Oregon.  Once in a blue moon we make the trek up so The Hub can get a peanut buster parfait.

Pool running in the deep end sans a flotation belt is all about incredible lower body strength.  I tried it once and just about drowned.  When I was having to do pool running a couple of years ago, I had the pleasure (in more ways than one ) of watching one of the university water polo athletes workout out in the deep end with lots of intense pool running.  That guy was coming out of the water from about hip height up when "sprinting."  It was amazing to watch.

5 more pavement miles this a.m.  Running this much on pavement sucks.  I don't know how you road runners do it day in and day out.

Tomorrow we leave for the Willamette Ski Area to work Waldo on Saturday.  The Hub refused to buy a pair of good hiking shoes, so he'll be hiking the 2.5-3 miles in his work boots.  But I guess since he's on his feet all day in them for work, he should do fine on the hike.  He's gonna look like a dork, though, in his too big shorts (he won't buy shorts that fit) and his boots.

Later ~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

The Ludington sand dunes used to be my favorite beach front escape

in those days back there but I can see that was just because I didn’t know Rochie.
                  Maybe stumps can post some pictures too of his proposed running field of dreams.

Very, very nice and, though you probably don’t care one-way-or-the-other, what a wonderful legacy of altruism you, jay, nancy, aamos and others are leaving for the future generations.  .
                  I hope aamos can reassure ribs it wasn’t him,
                  it was the airline or something.

Pool running in the deep end sans a flotation belt is all about incredible lower body strength.  I tried it once and just about drowned.  When I was having to do pool running a couple of years ago, I had the pleasure (in more ways than one ) of watching one of the university water polo athletes workout out in the deep end with lots of intense pool running.  That guy was coming out of the water from about hip height up when "sprinting."  It was amazing to watch.

ps -  I guess aquasuperman is still in the pool.

Even though, I’ve only swum a quarter-of-a-mile per year in the last four annual triathlons,

I might as well sign up for the one-half mile Emerald City Open Water Swim

in Lake Washington this weekend.  Maybe I can try lake running. HELP!

He's gonna look like a dork, though, in his too big shorts (he won't buy shorts that fit) and his boots.

pps - for some reason, I think I like Shorty.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, take it easy on the miles. I want you all rested up for Mexico.

I'm just getting into shape for my run from Playa del Carmen to Puerta Vallarta every day...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

..thanks for the kind words yesterday,

RANT ON

I had tried some prone single leg-lifts and my BadLeg only goes to 30-degrees and I could only do three

RANT OFF

so I needed some Words of Comfort>>>>>much appreciated

=======

today I tried the single leg lifts and did ten.

double wght sessions

and x-bike standing for more leg strength

..................good running guys..........

ETA-

blazincajun//...........yep,

I have been accused of ''DogPaddling, but I poolrun with closed fists

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Another day and another race at the AK Senior Games, this time the 10K road race. I tried to pace myself for the three races, so as not to burn out my legs in the 1500 Sunday and 5K Monday. Plus I took Tuesday off.

All was good, but I'm also an asst. coach at the one of the high schools, where my son runs. Wednesday happened to be interval day, and the coach's favorite workout for the kids is repeat uphill 400s on a ski trail. He also wants splits for every kid and every rep. It was not a day for me to do 5-6 reps and when I said I couldn't do it because I was racing in the evening, he got a little ticked. I had just cut out of work anyway, and was still in street clothes. I ended up doing 2 of them because the another coach couldn't hold the pace for alls 6. Oy. I really enjoy working with the kids but this is my last year working with the HS program.

Back to Sr. Games, the morning shake out actually might have helped. My legs felt pretty good all day, and felt only mildly tired in the warm up. It was bit cooler than Monday at 73, with some cloud cover too. The course was a flat out-and-back on a bike path, the first mile winding, then 2+ miles following a slough and back. My original goal was a season's best, at about 36:30 by race day figured sub 37 would be as good as it'd get.  I promised myself to hold back the first half. Hit the first mile in 6:00 and to tell the truth not feeling that great, and I thought a 38 might be tough. But I clicked off mile 2 (5:56) and 3 (6:04) and the turn around at 18:39, feeling better than usual for half way in a 10K. The return felt good the entire way at low 5:50s, and had enough for a solid kick to finish in 36:56 and a new record. I was happy with the effort. Senior Games are fun. Kind of low key, where camaraderie is as or more imporant than the times and competition. Several in the race have Minnesota roots so the buzz was about next summer's National Games in Minneapolis.

Mike E

MM #5615

Can't believe Aamos ditched me for tomorrow, but there will be other days.

Welcome to my world, Ribs--I've been ditched by women my whole life...

Dave59

Fly by post because I have wasted too much time today and I got to quit it now and work on task #1.  And I mean it this time.  I do.

5 miles at lunch.  Running has been feeling pretty good lately.  I hope I remember these days next time my calf or hamstring or whatever decides to break.

Mike E

MM #5615

Great 10k Trackrat!  You are coming down, next year, right?  Will you be down for the whole time to compete in all the events?

evanflein

Ribs, I know what you mean about running too fast with some folks. That's why I can't run with Trackrat. You guys see how amazingly fast he is? My tempo pace is his easy run... 'Nuff said.

(Roger, congratulations, you've had a couple of terrific races this week!!) Jane has been trying to get me to do the senior games stuff now since I turned 50, but so far I haven't done it. Might look into it next year.

Wow on that house, Roch. That's quite the digs.

Quick post here, too. Ran a bit yesterday, probably a little too fast but oh well. Today will be just 3-4 miles easy. Gotta pack tonight for that lovely 1:35 a.m. departure. Hard to leave because we have a very sick kitty. Looking into boarding her at the vet for a few days so she'll get the care she needs. We need a good pet sitter....