Masters Running

Tue Mar 11 Runs and Workouts (Read 553 times)

Good morning, everyone. Typical Tuesday recovery 5 miler for me. Wet out but no rain -- about 35F. Looking forward to Spring as is everyone else, especially our friends further North. I don't like that it's still dark at the finish of my run, but I did like that there was some light as I was leaving work last night. Maybe DST isn't so bad after all. Smile Workout: 4.1 miles, 8:45/mi, AHR 139 Overall: 5.1 miles, 44:42

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

DST is good. I take Tory to the dog park after work and yesterday I had to wear sunglasses! 8.2 mi GA in 1:07:16 (8:12 pace, AHR 158). First 2.2 with Tory at 8:51 then 6 mi at 7:58. Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

King of PhotoShop

I'm up and about but no running. In Chicago for a morning meeting then will catch a late afternoon flight to Seattle. I know we aren't supposed to talk politics here, but I wish we could waive the Constitutional protection against cruel and unusual punishment for just a couple of weeks and let every woman in NY State who has ever been wronged by a man to take turns kicking Eliot Spitzer right in the crotch. So there! Spareribs
          I am trying to make this AM running and posting a habit. 6 miles this morning with the temp already up to 18. Supposed to get into the 30's today, maybe will sneak out for another short run at lunchtime. I am not crazy about how dark it is in the mornings right now, but I do like it staying lighter after work. Good runs to all today. Ribs the funny part is in one of his campaign ads he said he didn't ask if something was popular or not before he prosecuted, just if it was right or wrong. Thanks Gov for putting NY on the front page of every newspaper in the country.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Out into the dark morning again. I agree that it is worth it for the lighter evenings! A balmy 28 degrees this morning for my 4 mile run. First 2 miles directly into the wind which made the lat 2 miles rather enjoyable too. Plus - negative splits!! 10:39 10:22 10:13 9:56 Happy Twos-Day!! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning everyone Smile Thanks for starting us off WRFB... I realize DST is good for some, and bad for others...I actually love it because I run and will soon cycle after work, and I have 2.5 hours to get my workout in before it gets dark...but understand the one's who don't like it. Last night 10 mile progression tempo run in 1:21:01 with miles 6 - 9 miles at 6:40 pace - 8:01 ave pace - 154 hr ave 170 max. I have something that I really don't understand and bothers me....Monday nights are the day I feel the best and fastest throughout the whole week, no matter how far I ran over the weekend. The quick 10 miler I ran last night, I would have a very difficult time achieving the same pace and ease on a Sat or Sun. I guess maybe I am so used to running late in the day, but really bothers me because most races are on Sat or Sun mornings....just pondering this Tues morning as races will be starting soon Smile Have a great Tues all.....suppose to be mostly sunny and 50 degrees here today Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

A damp and balmy 35F here, with no wind. What a relief! 7.0 miles, starting quite slow and speeding up a bit in the last half, 9:57 pace overall.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Good morning, boomers! Ribs - snork! I second your proposal. Tall - I just read your suggestion in yesterday's post. Very good idea - thanks! Temperature is in the high 20's this morning and no wind, but I was just too pooped to think about going out into the cold. I've had two late evening dinners interviewing job candidates, and I'm cooking on between 5 and 6 hours of sleep for the last couple of nights on top of the time change. 8 - 9 hours of sleep is optimal for me, so I currently feel like a zombie. Hope to go to bed early tonight and catch up a little. 6.4 miles on the treadmill with yoga scheduled for noon. Bet I fall asleep during the meditation period at the end ;-). Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

The Jogger

Morning Gang Nice start to the day Lou, it's wet here too but raining. Steve and his great HR good run. Mary I love your negative splits. Well I am glad to be running after yesterday, I had a bit of a health scare and ended up in hosp A&E, I was on the computer and got like a shockwave from my heart that went up my back to my head. The 2 ECG's were textbook normal, the chest xray was normal and the doc's boss wished he had blood test results like I had. Although the cholesterol was up, I need to see my doc about that and I have a stress test (TM test) to do. They told me to keep running and suspect it might have been a nerve in the back of my neck hmmmmmm. So I went out and ran 7m @10:31 AHR 154 72% in the wind and rain. Good Runs All Roy Don't want to spend long on the computer......
                    SteveP

Tallrunner: My mantra is: God, help me think the right thing, Say the right thing and Do the right thing> It chases out the stinkin thinkin. Idiot, I mean Elliot Spitzer would have done well to adopt something similar. Hang in there Vista. Keep us updated No runs yet.

SteveP

Good morning Boomers. 5 carpy miles this morning at a 9:31 pace. Legs were still a little tight after yesterday's intervals. I did get in some good ab work, though. Runner's World magazine has some good weight loss articles in the April edition. I'd like to drop a few before summer, and I know it would definitely help my running. Fox News was taking a survey on television this morning: "ladies, if you were married to Elliott Spitzer, would you 'stand by your man?'" What do you think, Boomer women? I'd say don't let the door hit you on your way out! Roy - glad you're all right. That must have been a scary moment for you. I have to agree with everyone, that extra light at the end of the day since DST started is nice, but it's pitch black again at 5:30AM. I'm so ready for some warm temps. It's supposed to hit 40F by the end of the week, and I'm looking forward to a run without coats, hats and gloves. Have a good Tuesday, everyone. Jeanne
                          I know we aren't supposed to talk politics here, but I wish we could waive the Constitutional protection against cruel and unusual punishment for just a couple of weeks and let every woman in NY State who has ever been wronged by a man to take turns kicking Eliot Spitzer right in the crotch.
                          At least he followed the time-tested formula: the dutiful wife; the "it's a private matter" comment; the vague statements of remorse; talking about putting it in the past and looking to the future. I'm just wondering what in the heck it is that you would get for $5500 an hour! Shocked Shocked

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

The Jogger

At least he followed the time-tested formula: the dutiful wife; the "it's a private matter" comment; the vague statements of remorse; talking about putting it in the past and looking to the future. I'm just wondering what in the heck it is that you would get for $5500 an hour! Shocked Shocked
                            Maybe he now qualifies for the other side Big grin

Hill Runner

Hi all, It's taper week for me so I'm resting today. It's killing me because I got up to run & it was so nice out. ...only 5 more days to go. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #957

Wildchild – I’ve never seen a prairie dog. We just get lots of squirrels and bunnies around here. Roy - that's scary. Glad you're getting it checked out. Our house listing went up yesterday afternoon. Within 3 hours, our realtor called to say someone wants to see the house today. I hope that’s a good sign and not just a fluke. After tracking my nutrition carefully in recent weeks, I went to our family doctor yesterday to see if there was a chemical factor in 2 things: 1. Low calorie burn – a 10-11 mile run only allows me 300-400 extra calories. This is SO UNFAIR. 2. Performance problems – 2 months of 50-56 mile weeks, with no perceived increase in fitness or endurance. I know he’s not a sports doc, but he was a good place to start. He suggested several possibilities. 1. The BCP that my Ob-Gyn put me on several months ago (YAZ) is known to cause potassium deficiency, and might be having other side effects related to performance. (Sorry guys if this is TMI, but this may effect other women here). 2. He thinks my protein intake is too low. As I’ve increased my mileage, I’ve focused more on carb intake, and he thinks I may be spending all my time burning up my muscles and building them again (or something like that). 3. Or, it just might be that I don’t run well in the cold and don’t burn a lot of calories. At any rate, he’s running blood tests for thyroid issues, iron and potassium deficiency, etc., and told me to start drinking milk. (now where have I heard that before...Smile ) 11.25 miles for me today in 29 degrees, with miles #3, 5, and 7 at tempo (8:10, 8:18, 8:09) and mile #11 at app. MP (8:49). These are the fastest miles I’ve done in a long time. Ave pace for including WU and CD was 9:18, ave HR 147, max HR 168. This seems to be a pretty high HR for me. I need to wear the monitor more often to see what’s up. Happy I-Hope-My-House-Sells Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."