Masters Running

Coach Bubba 20K Race Report (Read 292 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

It was a great day for a race 44F and overcast in Raleigh, NC. Coach Bubba's Heart and Sole 20K race is put on by the Godiva Tracck Club: Godiva Track Club established this event to honor Bruce Koenig, affectionately known as Coach Bubba, and his contributions to the running community. Bruce was a dedicated and spirited running coach who died unexpectedly while leading a group run. With his wife, Anne Marie Mulhern, Bruce started the area's first marathon training class as well as Carolina Godiva's "Running Start" program for those just beginning to run. He was an inspiration to many. This year the event was also designated a North Carolina State Championship 20K. So I expected a FAST field! I am in the middle of training for Boston with 60+ MPW's and a recent issue with some foot and knee soreness. Ths week I stepped back a bit and the foot and knee issues were totally gone by Friday (whew). I always dread these races but LOVE when they are over because I push this distance hard the whole way and it HURTS Smile ) The first half basically winds through a pretty old neighborhood (Forest Hills)... say no more (see elevation profile). Then by mile 6 it goes onto the Rails-To-Trails called the American Tobacco Trail (ATT). Tory and I have run that portion of the trail many times so it was very familar which was helpful. Goals: I Hoped to maintain a PBJ Special (7:30 pace) the whole way and finish in 1:33:00 which, based on lsat years times would place me in my new AG M55-59 which I entered a week ago. At 8:33 we were off on a down hill start which progressed to the rolling hills, some challenging. I kept track of the mile splits but went by feel not pushing super hard but still intense. Here's how it went: First 10K: 47:09 Second 10K: 47:10 Splits: Mile1: 7:29 [AHR 176] Mile 2: 7:26 [173] Mile 3: 7:38 [171] Mile 4+5: 15:20 (7:40) [167] Mile 6: 7:37 [167] Mile 7: 7:28 [168] Mile 8: 7:43 [168] Mile 9: 7:46 [166] Mile 10: 7:21 [165] Mile 11: 7:40 [166] Mile 12: 7:40 [166] Mile 12.4: 3:05 (7:10) [179, max 192!] I was able to manage a good kick last .4 miles! Final 1:34:16 (7:36 pace, AHR 169) 1st M55-59 AG (out of 13)! 70.1% WAVA 2006 Age Grade Ranking!! 105/456 OA... lots of young runners! [note: combining ages 50-59, I came in 4/31 !] PR for 20K (1st 20K Big grin), PR Age Grade, great workout, nothing injured! Even won a drawing for sweets at a pastry shop... yum, yum.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

btb1490

1st M55-59 AG (out of 13)! 70.1% WAVA 2006 Age Grade Ranking!! 105/456 OA... lots of young runners! PR for 20K (1st 20K ), PR Age Grade, great workout, nothing injured! Even won a drawing for sweets at a pastry shop... yum, yum. That says it all right there! What a great way to break in your new age group! Big time congrats! You honored coach Bubba very well.
      SteveP

Quite the accomplishment Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta love the hardware. Thanks for the RR.

SteveP

Nice, very very nice. I love the HR data. So even for the whole race. You are one fast fifty-fiver. Big congratulations!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I found the history of the race interesting. Races that honor a particular person are special. You sure ran a fast race with nice even mile splits and the 10K splits were really even. Congrats on your AG win. TomS
            munchkn883

Way to go, Perch!! I was on the other end of the ATT (Southpoint).
              evanflein

Amazing race, Steve! Wow... yes I'd say a lot of fast runners were there... YOU were there! Congratulations on the breakout AG win. Nice way to start the 5 year span. And treats to boot! Very cool. Rest up now and save some of that mojo for Arizona, ok?
                  Steve, that is fantastic! Terrific racing, terrific pacing. And way to grab the hardware. Smile More intriguing than Coach Bubba's name is the Godiva name for the track club. What kind of post race treats?
                    WOW!!! Congrats on a great race...your pacing is excellent!!!
                    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                      Congrats on the 1st place AG... Nice work!
                      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

King of PhotoShop

I'm really happy for you Steve. You work hard in your training, and this first place finish, combined with your sensible pacing is great evidence of the right way to train for this distance. I imagine your competition didn't have that great base of yours that would allow them to hold a strong pace like this for 20K. You were like a machine out there. Very well done. Spareribs

The Jogger

Steve That was a great race, hard looking course, excellent HR as usual and brilliant place 1st AG Well Done Roy
                            Great race Steve. Congratulations!
                            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                              Great way to break in your new AG. Your even splits with all those hills seem nearly magical! Surprised You must be one amazing hill runner! Now why to RD's LOVE to create hilly courses?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Manchild

Perch! You animal! Nice race!! I am in awe!! Congratulations! Chris