Masters Running

Wed Jan 7 Runs and etc (Read 519 times)

Good morning, booma neighbas 5.1 miles, 47:40, 9:22/mi, AHR 136 33°F, light rain Paper guy cut a corner too tight and I yelled, "hey!" as I jumped off the road into wet grass. I feel a little bad about yelling because he's usually pretty careful. Good runs, all!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Don't feel bad about yelling Lou. It only takes one time. Now he'll watch out for you even more. 5 very slow, recovery-paced mailes at 10:07 pace. Legs needed this after yesterday's "Tempo Torture" session (quoting CNYrunner). Average HR only 123, max only 132. H&H was back with a vengence (spelling?) in front of a cold front. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning Lou and Bill. We're still feeling the after-effects of an ice storm last weekend, so it was 4.5 miles on the dreadmill this morning in 41:10. I hate this time of the year at the Y. All the new years resolution people take up all the equipment and it's back to signing up for treadmills, eliptical trainers, etc. I guess I should be happy they've made a committment to exercise, but most of them are gone by the end of February. There's a kick-off party tonight for the CellCom marathon in May. Burt Yasso (is that spelled right?) is the guest speaker. Training runs start this weekend, predicted high of 7 degrees and high winds.Shocked Have a great day, everyone.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Just plain tired today so I slept. Rest day.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #3309

I hate this time of the year at the Y. All the new years resolution people take up all the equipment and it's back to signing up for treadmills, elliptical trainers, etc. I guess I should be happy they've made a commitment to exercise, but most of them are gone by the end of February.
            I was getting ready to post the exact same thing. While I think it is good people are trying to become more healthy and fit, most of these people will be gone in weeks. I am just lifting weights right now, and the weight room was packed with the New Years resolution people. And every treadmill and elliptical and every other workout machine was full...and you can always tell who these people are. I have to admit that I was selfishly irritated because it took me for ever to get my workout in, but it is a catch 22 because I hope and want everyone to become fit and healthy. But the fact is, most will NOT stick with it....very sad. Hope everyone has a good Hump Day TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

King of PhotoShop

Jeanne, Mr. Yasso's first name is Bart. Tell him Spareribs said hello. He's a very nice guy. An hour yoga session this morning at the Y. I am going to run tomorrow for the first time this week. Spareribs

Renee the dog

Yeah, but all those folks trying are paying dues to the club which helps to keep it running...so it is a virtuous/vicious cycle. It's 43 F here with NO WIND! Whoo hoo! Renee and I just got back from our 7 miler run nice and easy at 1:06:48. After 3 days off, everything still felt the same, and my leg even felt OK until Renee hip chucked me at 6 mi. Yow! I'm beginning to think the leg is not radiated pain from my back spasm but a simple, painful knot that I can't get to yet. Anyway, once again, I'm convince my pains are not due to running, and so far, aren't made worse by running. I think my massage therapist is back in town. Time to book something.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Bob, you often run too fast, just in my own opinion and your own admission, and I say this without worrying you will bark at me only because we have talked about it before in other forums. But you are one of the fortunate few who don't seem to get hurt no matter what you do. So putting aside the fact that you seem indestructible to me, let me just say that you might benefit from sorting out what is the difference between "slow" and "easy." Since I know how fast you run at most distances, let me suggest this: Your easy pace should be two minutes per mile SLOWER than current fiveK pace. Note: this is not DESIRED fiveK pace, and I am careful to point out that you are looking for sub-19. Don't use that pace. Use current, most recent fiveK pace, and add 2 minutes per mile. I am putting your current fiveK at 19:30. Is that about right? So if your current fiveK is 6:15's, we are talking about 8:15's for easy. I suspect you would rather do 8's but trust me on this. SLOW is 2:30 per mile SLOWER than current 5K pace, or even slower, say 8:45's. I know what current M pace is for you. Use your recent marathon, just a shade off 7:30's, say 7:35-7:40. Again, don't use DESIRED. Use current. In the wave run, you must be patient, so try to read the word SLOW as meaning slow as you wish to go. Warm up slow, finish slow. You will get bored with this, I know, but here is the catch. If you do this workout once a week and incorporate another quality workout too, you will find it catches up with you. Long stretches of good quality work, followed by short, slow recoveries, are the best way to attain peak performance. I see from your posts that you do a lot of VO2 max work at all times during your training, which I see as being useful toward the end stages of a training period, so in some ways we don't see training in the exact same way. I envy that you can do this, but I worry it can also make you stale. I would be interested in how you perform in a wave run, if you find it enjoyable, and how it works for you over a long training period. Try it anyhow, and let us know how you did. Thanks Bob. Spareribs
                  Ribs – first and foremost THANK YOU! Of course you know I won’t bark at you, I wouldn’t have asked for your input if I didn’t want an honest answer. Heck I know my faults (just don’t tell my DW that I admit to having any). Wink I think one of my major downfalls is the fact that I never ran when I was younger and have never had any real coaching other than from fellow runners etc. So I have to piece it all together and play it by ear for the most part...trial and error so to speak. And you absolutely hit the nail on the head, I do have a problem with running SLOW…I like to blame it on my “Type A” personality! This definitely looks like something I would like to try, I'm going to see if I can’t incorporate it into my weekly running schedule. The tough part for me will be sticking to the SLOW & EASY, but I think I can do it, we’ll see. Thanks again for being such a great inspiration, and you’ll always be an old curmudgeon too!! Big grin

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Morning Gang! My Pre-Dawn runs are a bit non-existant lately due to bad road conditions. I would have to get through .75 miles of plain old ice before I get to the main roads. I did consider trying it this morning but am happy that I stayed in bed. On my way to work I slid right through 2 intersections with fresh snow on top of ice - jeez! I'd have fallen down for sure - just like my DH did trying to get into his car. Shawing! Anyway - I did 3 miles on the treamill last night using the weight loss program. This is kind of a "wave" run where it automatically adjusts the incline up and down and your speed up and down. I almost gave up after the 5 minute warm up - I just wasn't into it - but stayed on the damn thing for 40 minutes. I am sore today too - probably from the hill simulation - which is what I need. I'll get on it again tonight I suppose. I thought of Erika this morning when the news showed the temp was -45 in Fairbanks! wow!! January is a very busy month for me at work - so I'll be on here as much as I can. It is a good diversion for sure! Oh, and I did run that New Year's Day 6-mile race. It was the toughest race I've ever ran - marathon included. 22 degrees - wind howling off of Lake Michigan and a very, very, very long steep hill right off the bat! The last 2 miles were snow covered ice -even on the shoulder of the road. Long story short - I placed 3rd in my AG and my neighbor took 1st in hers. Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

And every treadmill and elliptical and every other workout machine was full...and you can always tell who these people are. I have to admit that I was selfishly irritated because it took me for ever to get my workout in, but it is a catch 22 because I hope and want everyone to become fit and healthy. But the fact is, most will NOT stick with it....very sad. TimBo
                      Spent Sunday doing my long slow run out on the trails by the Beach...I was wondering why there were so many people out walking, biking, running, etc... I was just enjoying the 10 mile out and back loop and was happy to say hi to all the folks sharing the trail. The wide trails easily absorbed the extra folks and it was nice to wave hi to so many smiling faces....Yesterday it was raining pretty hard outside so I headed over to the gym for some dreadmill. The treadmill run at the gym was not as relaxing as Sunday's long run...had to wait for a machine to open up then rushed the run worrying that someone was waiting for me to finish with the same irritation that I had waiting. Now that I read your post Timbo I realized that I exhibited some bizarre behavior. First I was annoyed at the guy who was walking for 15 min on the treadmill (like a 15 min walk is going to help a whole year of hot wings and beer) then when I got on I felt as if I had rush my run because someone was waiting for the machine too. Probably another hot wing eating, beer guzzling 15 minute walker...pretty weird huh? Tonight I will run my medium long (8miles) on the treadmill, I will wait patiently for the machine to open up, then run my pace and when I’m done I'm going downtown and eat wings and drink beer...I think that this will be good for my humility and will center me and help me focus on the important things...Big grin Karl
                      Slo

I'm certainly with the others when it comes to getting out of bed. I don't know whats happened to me. I'm usually up before the alarm. So I blew off another swim this morning. Sad Last night I wimped out and opted for the Treadmill at the Y. I did a very easy 6.5.....a little over a 9:00 min pace. I think my build period may have finally caught up to me. Even that 9:00 min pace felt very tiresome last night. As long as I'm energized for the weekend.......No harder efforts scheduled this week.......Just hoping to get a good solid long run in over the weekend.
                          Happy New Year, albeit late. I finally got back out yesterday for a short 2.5 mile run. It was a balmy 32 degrees, so good weather. The sidewalks were about 90% clear too which made it nice. I'm starting Hal Higdon's Novice 10K program as a prep for a 5 mile race in mid-February. I think I'm going to have problems making it work with neither having a gym membership nor a treadmill, but wish me luck. I took a few weeks off over the holidays for being lazy, but anxious to get going again. Of course I'm behind on all of the goings on here, so good runs to all and I'll try to stop in more often. Janet

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Steve, you picked a good day to stay in bed Smile Horrible running conditions @ 6:00 AM...26MPH wind gusts with heavy rain. I could barely see anything and after about 1/2mile I started walking and almost bagged my run but since my shoes & socks were already completely soaked I figured that it couldn't get any worse, so I started up & finished my run. I had my headlamp wrapped in saran wrap to try & keep it dry but with all the rain it wasn't very effective. After about 45 minutes the rain tapered off and winds died down and the end of the run turned out quite nice. 12.03 miles of hills @ 9:13 pace. SR...I had diner with Bart Yasso a couple of years ago at a Friday night Pasta diner...he is a cool guy with lots of running stories. God runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #3309

And you absolutely hit the nail on the head, I do have a problem with running SLOW…I like to blame it on my “Type A” personality!
                              Ditto, me too Bob. But now that I am injured, maybe I will learn to run slow when I am suppose too...but it's sooo very hard with my type A personality too, and the need for speed. Hi Mary, glad everything is ok....you had some of us worried Girl Wink Congrats on your 3rd place in your age group...wow, tough conditions too. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Mary – good to see you again, and congratulations on winning 3rd AG in your New Year’s race, but more than that for toughing it out in those conditions – great job! Handymom – nice to see you back, too. Peter - tough stuff today! Toes still sore, but I was able to get my running shoes on, so I headed out for a run, not knowing what to expect. In spite of the reduced running of the last few days, my legs felt pretty stiff and sluggish. I pushed through it to run miles #3 and 4 at BQ MP (8:47, 8:46), but it felt more like a 5K effort on my dead legs. However, the weather wasn’t bad (37 degrees) and I was grateful to be able to run at all. 7 miles total, miles 3 and 4 @ 8:47, 8:46, ave pace 10:01 overall.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."