Masters Running

Thursday is the new Thursday, 9.10.15 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' folks.

Nice run in the humid, Roch. I hope some of the therapies work for your friend.

How was date night, Enke? Nice 4.3s for you and Ribs and Starr.

Evanflein, we've been adapting to the 'new normal' since the day we were born. Sometimes it is easier, and sometimes not. You're right - TomW is a terrific role model for perseverance, and for always embracing his 'new normal.' Nice trail run yesterday.

Holly, how are things on the other side of the world, and how's your internet?

TW, I hope you find those missing parts...

Sorry about the AT flare, Joe, but I'm glad that it is getting better. It would be too bad if you have to pass on your next marathon, but that's better than being out for weeks/months with a serious injury.

Funny guy, Stumpy!

I hope the CP-ing works, TwoCat - you've got about a week left before the Relay. Bummer about all the car repairs.

How nice that both you and Mr. Starr are getting crowned, Starr. Well, perhaps not, with the expense of it. What's with the foot??

Nice wet 6er, C-R.

No workout for me yesterday because I needed more sleep. However, I was up at the usual time and out for 5.6 RW miles in mild, very thick air. It was a struggle, but I got it done, and even managed to accelerate a bit along the way. Rain is moving in later today, which we really need. It is also supposed to give us some nice dry air for at least the next day or two.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning, Jay et al.  It felt even thicker this morning than yesterday.  I was sort of hoping for the rain that was forecast, but doesn't appear to be showing up until later today.

3.9 miles of more drippy shorts.

Hope all the injuries heal up.  Although, I'm betting that TC in his crippled state is still faster than me.

and on a totally non-running related subject, a picture of our grand-dog wearing her new life jacket.  We had dog sitting duty this past weekend and since we were going to be on the island, thought it might be a good idea.  Based on her beagle/dachshund heritage, we figured she'd swim like a rock.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Thanks for the start, Jay. I guess I'm always skeptical of some of these unproven "stem cell" procedures that promise to "regrow cartilage," although one friend did have good results with his knee.

stumpy, the weather has turned for sure here -- cooler and much less humid. In fact, it will actually be "unseasonably cool" this weekend with temperatures not getting out of the 60s -- almost 30 degrees cooler than last weekend!

Leaving for the gym in a few minutes, then delivering meals at noontime, a bike ride with my DW in the early afternoon, and the club's annual "prediction run" and picnic this evening.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Slo

Heya!

Happy Thursday. Decent run this morning. Minor cold front chased away the humidity. Another one coming thru in an hour or so. 62 deg highs on the way. I've never been beat done by the heat and humidity as I have here in the last few weeks.

Ah...enough about the weather.

It's trail building season. Time to get into the woods and back to work!

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy masters!

Glad to see everyone is keeping on keeping on!

Holly, best of luck to your friend Carissa at her first hundred miler!  I'm not sure I could stand a multiple loop course, but they are certainly easier logistically, especially for the crews.  I hope your DD has fun - why has she never been camping before???

I'm doing my first 100k on Saturday, and it's a two loop course - run in the opposite direction the 2nd lap, with a few variations, including a 500+ ft peak climb at about mile 42!  I did the 50k there last year, so I know it's all pretty runnable - mostly forest service roads, and not very technical, although there are several creek crossings with no bridges.  The start time is 2 am!!!   I actually think this is a good idea (we'll see what I think at 2 am on Saturday...)  because it gets the dark running over while you're still fresh, and you finish when it's light.  The 50k runners start at 8am, so everyone finishes and gets to hang out at the after-race party at roughly the same time.

Stumpy,  what an adorable grand-dog!  I thought most dogs could swim?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

coastwalker and do not think that I have not been checking the weather forecast hourly since we hit the 10 day mark!

Couch potato day 3 today!  Car service appointment #3 scheduled for Monday!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - actually, because I jumped a day in today's flight over to Tokyo yesterday, Thursday's the new Friday over here.

Wild - maybe if it's a century run or something, a 2:00 a.m. start would make sense but, even 100K's have 14-15 hour cutoffs for running all day and, no matter how slowly, not having to be out in the woods by yourself the wee hours.  I ought to know 'cause all of mine have finished around 9:00 or 10:00 p.m. Maybe when you finish in the afternoon, you might as well do another one.

Holly, speaking of wee hours,. hallucinations of armadillos I've never seen in my life otherwise, voices from the woods of friends long gone, being jolted awake from walking off the trail, etc. seem to abound during the early morning hours after 15-20 hours of running or so but an infusion of  miraculous energy seem to flood down, after all, as the new day dawns so, I bet, just keeping Carissa on the trail if she has anything like that kind of experience would be much appreciated.

Singapore Slings - last minute trip ended me up on Singapore Airlines out of Los Angeles.

I haven't flow them since the days of living over there a year after college. As happened when the same last-minute flying ended me up on a round-about Korean Airlines flight from Seattle to Seoul to Osaka and I found out about their complementary wine even to economy class passengers,  Singapore's Singapore Slings were being handed out right-and-left all the way down the economy rows too on this route. Except for  business receptions in those days (when my drinks usually ended up in the flower pots, anyway), the KAL wine was my first in 20-30 years.  Singapore Slings aren't that bad either. Maybe getting old helps in more ways than one, after all.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Cute pup, Stumpy.

So Wildchild, when you're first 100 miler?

Holly - You'll do great as a pacer/crew person.  And it's a ton of fun.

It's feeling like fall here, definitely.  Cool, crisp mornings, but beautiful, warm days.

I'm having trouble getting my butt out of bed in the early a.m., so will be running my 5 after work today.  This week I'll hit a whole 16 miles!   But I'm also doing some stationary bike work, so that counts for something.

We're in the midst of shopping for a vehicle because we both hate our Camry.  (Yes, hate.  Can't stand that car.)  I'm trying to do it all by internet and what a pain!  I think I'm quite clear on what I want: A, B, C, and D.  Nothing else.  But when I ask for an out the door price, including taxes, etc., I am told I need to come in to the dealership. Most of the folks I'm contacting are 4+ hrs away, so dropping in for a nice chat is not an option.  Just tell me what the out-the-door price would be and I'll tell you if I want to pay that.  Seems simple to me.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...Great Picture stumpy........

==================

70s drizzle,,followed by 80s and humid..............but it beats being Inside

1st of 2-PT sessions

>>>>>>for the FIRST TIME in two years  I actually got up last night and walked 8 or 9-steps NORMALLY without the cane<<<<

then immediately started limping again

BUT IT HAPPENED

I love it

also

3x15-min walking with cane

...........................good running guys.......Wishing tet a good flight......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  Still grinning at Stumps from yesterday.  And tw, may the progress continue!  OH, and DH now has gracefully accepted his b-day present (a trip to Nashville in Nov., the weekend before T'sgiving) so we're on and will be in the park with the monkeys that Sunday.  (Well, I will be; he may be hiking or at a museum).

Just 5+ for me this am, and no Speedsters tonight; tapering!  Abebe Bikila marathon coming up. Actually, this is part one of DH's b-day travel.

Image result for abebe bikila

And without shoes in 1960!

September continues to be a most pleasant month .

Yes, roch, I figure I should just enjoy whatever speed "rut" I'm in, as it's prolly only going to get slower once I'm out of it!

Why is Thursday so much more fun than Tuesday?

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

.>>>>>>for the FIRST TIME in two years  I actually got up last night and walked 8 or 9-steps NORMALLY without the cane<<<<

then immediately started limping again

BUT IT HAPPENED

I love it

WOOT WOOT!!!! 

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Yay! TomWhite!

100K - good luck Carolyn!  I think the early am start sounds smart.

Date Night was fun as always!  B.E. made dinner and reminded me that our 3 month anniversary is today (which I already knew!)  Then we celebrated with a glass of wine.

Remi had me getting up frequently during the night to let him outside - he was having 'bathroom issues'.  So I got a lousy night's sleep and just couldn't run this morning.  Perhaps a miracle will happen and I will run tonight after work?

I bought Neil Young tickets - I have wanted to see him for a few years.  Funnily enough, I never liked his music much when I was younger - but really got into him about 10 years ago.  Plus, he's Canadian!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Kevin - I swim like a rock, too!

Carolyn - DH uses a C-Pap, so we have never taken the kids camping.  Good luck at your 100K!!

No run for me today, but about 30 minutes of upper body weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'm wishing mari a safe and enjoyable trip.

This morning, it was in the low 50s and there was a light breeze.  I got in 6 miles at an 11:07 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

evanflein

Ah Stumpy, that's a cutie! You might be surprised by how well he can swim though (not that you should test him on purpose....).

Thanks for the recaps you do, Jay. Hope you get a break from the muggies, but how does rain bring in dry air?

Have fun at your 100k, Carolyn! I can't imagine running more than 2x a regular marathon distance intentionally. Especially one where you live!

Leslie, I don't know of anyone who has said "I hate my Camry" so wonder what kind of car you're looking for? Good luck with it, and it must be hard being so far from dealers who want you to "drop on by" to finalize anything.

Cloudy sprinkly start to the day, then it got nicer and apparently while I was changing to go run, the wind and clouds moved back in, along with some sprinkles at the end of my run. I seem to have a knack for picking the worst time of day to go run! And now, of course, the sun is back out and it looks warm and bright out there again. Oh well, I've also had many days where I snuck out at the perfect time so I guess it all balances out. 5.5 miles at 8:25 avg pace, and all miles were within a few seconds of that so happy with the steady pace.