Masters Running

Tuesday, 10.6.15 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm sorry I've been among the missing, but we were away for the weekend, and I've been and continue to be wicked busy otherwise. So today is just another walk-by.

I did a scootch over 6 fartlek RW miles this morning in refreshing 44F temps. I've still got a nasty knot in my glute that I'm trying to ignore on my workouts as best I can, and to work through with my foam roller, a spaldeen ball, and some deep massage. Short term goal is to be able to race a 5K this Sunday relatively painlessly. Long-term is to still try to get in shape for a half near the end of the month.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome back, Jay.  Was wondering where you were and couldn't remember if you had warned us.

Thank you all for the very nice condolences.  DW will be going down to Richmond for the service this week--I can't escape the clutches of work.

I had a nice brisk 4.1 miles this morning in cooler temps than I expected.  Thought the weather report had said mid 40's.  But I thought the outdoor thermometer in the bedroom said it was somewhere in the 50's as best as I could see in the dark.  Also thought it was a little chilly when I got outside without the gloves that I might have brought.  Got really confused when a neighbor heading out for a walk said "Aren't you freezing--it's only 5° above freezing".  Turns out that when I was changing batteries in our outdoor sensors, I ended up leaving one of the more sheltered ones up on the display-not the actual outdoor temp.

Enke--What did you do to poor Mr. BE?

Nice racing Tet and Erika.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

'mornin' all....think we all feel NO APOLOGIES necessary, Jayster.  Have you tried adding a golf ball into the mix?  I keep on in the car to sit on from time to time when I have what you're having at present.

I can so see Holly (imitating her DD) singling la la la with her fingers in her ears.....GAA (grinning all alone)!

Lovely tet!  And no such thing as "too much fun!"

Glad you weren't damaged in the dog melee, Kirsten.

Erika, so glad you're having a good trip.  And to ease your mind, I find myself getting a Masters award from time to time, e.g., at Charlevoix.  I do not want the AG award.  One award is quite sufficient.  More positives all around.  SO enjoy your win and wineglass 1,000%; you earned and deserve it!

Yeah, Enke, what Stumps asked.

A little cooler here, but it's a respite.  Still, good to enjoy it!  8 this morning and the bridge tonight.  Beginning to feel like a "bridge rat."

Getting a little nervous about the Monkey and all them hills....but there are a few marathons between now and then, and I'm easily distracted.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - hiyah!

Kevin - my belated condolences as well....cancer really sucks....

Amy - you will eat those Monkey hills for breakfast.  Toenails are overrated anyway....

5 easy-paced miles for me this morning.  My foot actually feels fine today, but I am icing anyway.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Amy - you will eat those Monkey hills for breakfast.  Toenails are overrated anyway....

........agreed, but it'd be nice to have a few.

Actually came back to tell Jay, who is already well aware, I am sure, that my classmate Maggie (NULS '85) is running for U.S. Senate in NH. 

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

[[[mrs stumpy]]]

[[[holly]]]

============

80s here and sunny...

......it figures,

I bought a Manual Bilge Pump and can't wait for the crawl-space to fill up with water again

1st of 2 PT work-outs

60-min walk with cane and 2-lb HeavyHands weights

good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Stumpy, I'm sorry for your loss.  Best to your wife.  Ran the same distance you did today, 4.1 miles, 40:27, or 9:52,  Nice crisp, clear day.  Hoping for ten tomorrow.

Jay, I know it's an old one, but have you considered also moving your wallet to the other back pocket?  It's worked for many.

Light day of work today so now off to the store to buy a few things. Making a pizza tonight while the Saint is out with the girls, and can't wait to watch the Astros-Yankees game tonight.  Notice I didn't crow at all when my Rangers won the AL West.  What a weird season for them.  I suppose Henry will be rooting against them beginning Thursday when they head off to the Rodgers Dome, or is it Rogers? I forget.

Spareribs

enkephalin about as sure as one can be.  Also, it seems to be healing up too fast to be a hernia.

wildchild there are no exceptions in the rule book for dogs.  It says very clearly, "No running in the rain!"©

AamosY personally I am a fan of having toenails.  Wish they were easier to keep. 

I am hoping the stretches I found at the web site injuredrunner.com help.  So far so good!  They also have a couple of exercises on their DVD that I have for a hip flexor strain.  I am giving that a shot too.  FWIW the stretches feel more symmetric across sides today than yesterday.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

In my 9 years of running, I think I've only lost one toenail.

Erika - Sounds like the sisters are getting away from the parents?  I'm bettin' El Gato is saying, "Bring it on, ladies.  Bring it on!"

I'm not running, so I should be doing my core/ST, right?  I have been very lax about my ST over the last few months and it shows.  Like this morning, I could've gone out to my shed and did some core/ST without involving my foot.  I did it for 3 months when I was on crutches 4 years ago.  Instead, I turned off the alarm and stayed in bed.  I told myself I'd get a workout this evening when we move furniture in preparation for getting our carpets cleaned tomorrow.  Remember - It's not a lie if you believe it!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

moebo

Hello all.

Glad tet is having so much fun.

Jay, sorry you're injured! Hope it gets better before your half.

Enjoy your pizza and baseball evening, Ribs.

Just under three easy miles for me today. Soreness is almost gone.

Nice article on Bob Hearn and the Spartathlon race, Spareribs!

Tet - that sounds like great fun!!

Not sure what BE did to get that hernia  , a hard bike ride? - I plead innocence!  I am actually looking forward to doting on him for a few days after I pick him up from surgery tomorrow.

I was about to go out for a quick 3 or 4 miles this morning, but DD had other plans for me....always some last minute thing before school!!  Perhaps tonight?  I want to start training now, yes now, for a half-marathon in March.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Henrun

Light day of work today so now off to the store to buy a few things. Making a pizza tonight while the Saint is out with the girls, and can't wait to watch the Astros-Yankees game tonight.  Notice I didn't crow at all when my Rangers won the AL West.  What a weird season for them.  I suppose Henry will be rooting against them beginning Thursday when they head off to the Rodgers Dome, or is it Rogers? I forget.

Spareribs

Yes, now that the Red Sox are done, my allgiance reverts to my hometown team (the Blue Jays) and it is the Rogers Dome. In the the NL I'm rooting for the Cubs (I lived in Chicago for 3 years close to Wrigley Field). I also like the Mets.

Unlike Stumpy I waited until 9:30 to start my run (another plus for retirement) on this beautiful "Indian summer' day (in the low 60's when I finished). My legs were still a bit stiff from Sunday's 5K but I got in 8 slow but steady miles. Marj also took advantage of the weather and went kayaking with a friend.

mrrun

Glorious day for kayaking - lots of herons, cormorants, snowy egret and gazillion turtles - made one rock look black!  we went out longer then planned - too pretty to turn back and both are wiped now.

((stumpy))

Erika - there's an awesome photography show in Hagerstown MD if you have time - two brothers converging visions, diverging views (I'm biased as their my cousins, but thought I'd mention it)

seems to be a lot of ouchies going around - take care of them!

tet & aamos & erika - congrats

ribs - nice article

hope everyone is having our IR(W)C

marj

I bought a Manual Bilge Pump and can't wait for the crawl-space to fill up with water again

TomWhte - sometimes you worry me Wink

Weather and hat weather we had today. I kept having to "run errands" to this department and that, taking the outside route round the hospital - what outside route some might say?

Moebo - glad that the soreness is abating

Rest day for me ...

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Mike E

MM #5615

TomWhte - sometimes you worry me Wink

Sometimes?