Masters Running

Sawmill 50k+ Fat Ass report - with pictures (Read 46 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

I did a Fat Ass trail run yesterday, and it took almost 3 times as long as Mike's marathon!  I finished in 8:56 and was tied for last place in the 34 mile option.

For those not familiar with the concept of a Fat Ass run, it's not a race, it's an organized group run.  There are no fees, no medals, no awards, no shirts, no course markings, and generally no aid stations.  This particular run had two aid stations, though, supplied with food and water by the participants (like a pot luck).  This run was in White Ranch Park with two options:  a 17 mile loop, starting at the park upper entrance, descending to the lower entrance, and coming back up,  or a 50k+ option, which was doing the course twice in opposite directions.  Here's the elevation profile:

Maps and directions are emailed to the participants, and you're expected to route-find on your own or with other runners.  I've run in this park before, so I mostly knew all the trails.  I ran the first part of the course, down to the aid station at the low point, with some friends I ran with at the first Fat Ass race of this series two weeks ago, and with a couple of other guys.  Here's a picture at  the aid station - the volunteer had a great ugly Christmas sweater!   I was caught with my hand in the potato chips!

My group was hanging out at the aid station -- people were making french press coffee!  Since Fat Ass runs are not races, people wait for their friends at the aid stations, but I was ready to go, and one other guy was heading back up the hill, so I went with him.  His name was Nate, and we ended up running the rest of the course together.  He's a young guy (34) from Boulder, and he only recently got into distance running....   recently, as in the last month!      The furthest he had run before this was only 21 miles.   He has a background in bike racing, so he's pretty fit, and he did great.  He stopped to take a selfie at 26.2 miles, his first marathon, and at 31 miles, his first 50k!

It was also the furthest I've ever run, since it was longer than a 50k (I've done 4 of those so far).

I saw my friends from 2 weeks ago approaching the upper aid station at the start/finish, as Nate and I were heading out for the 2nd lap, and they had decided to stop at 17 miles.  There were some out-and-back sections on the course, so we saw lots of other folks too, and everyone was friendly.  These group runs are a great way to meet other ultra runners in the area!    I think many other folks stopped after 17 miles, because there were quite a few people still coming in to the upper aid station as we started our 2nd lap, but somehow we ended up finishing last.  Results aren't posted yet, so I'll update this when they are.  Results are not official, since it's not a race, and since everyone records their own finishing time on a clipboard, but registration is through Ultrasignup.com, and results are posted there too.

The weather was sunny and cold, and windy in places. It was much warmer down at the lower aid station, since it was 1500 ft lower.  The trails were about 70% snowpacked and 30% bare dirt/rocks, with only a little bit of ice and mud.

Here are some pictures of the course, taken by others and posted on the FB Front Range Ultra Runners page.  These will give you some idea what the terrain and conditions were like:

This is me and Nate approaching the lower aid station for the 2nd time:

I feel reasonably good today but a little creaky on the stairs. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Another great race, wildchild. You were running for almost 9 hours, wow!  And after the race you went to a party? Impressive!

Great pictures of the course! You sure live in a very pretty area.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I have yet to see a bad race photo of you, Carolyn. Inspiring run followed by an evening in your stiletto heals and little black dress

You rock!

Nice photos Wild!

Does it usually have that little snow?  I'm picturing about 2 foot of snow as normal...

Nice running too, That;s a long day!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Love the whole attitude of those races, and yours as well!!

9 hours.....yikes.  Did your feet get cold or wet?

The course profile reminded me of Steve P.  No reason. 

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Marathon, 50K, 34-miles, . . . you’re ready for a 12-hour race if not 50-miles, especially if out here in the PNW again <<<(WhiteRiver50/White/Rive50)>>>.
              Incidentally, as long as they are publicized in advance, have an RD (not just an anonymous  flash run, even if premeditated), and have results showing at least five starters/three finishers, F/A’s count for Marathon Maniac races. .
              Sadly, though, for those of us who like the smaller, low-key/low-cost, if not freebie, events <<<(cheapskate/cheapskate)>>>, as of January 1, 2014, Marathon Maniacs have upped the minimum to 15-starters/10-finishers.  Fortunately, unless needed for the Marathon Maniacs Hall of Fame (333 lifetime mary/ultras or 50+ in three consecutive years), any personal counting system is okay,.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Inspiring run followed by an evening in your stiletto heals and little black dress

You rock!

The company I work for has had a bad year, so the Christmas party was low-key (i.e. low-cost), and I wore jeans and a sweater.  Even in good years, most people don't dress up too much.

Does it usually have that little snow?  I'm picturing about 2 foot of snow as normal...

Nice running too, That;s a long day!

Yes, we don't usually get a ton of snow - one of Colorado's best-kept secrets.  It's usually pretty nice in the winter at lower elevations, but we like when people think winters are harsh here so they don't move here.  And yes, it was a long day.

Love the whole attitude of those races, and yours as well!!

9 hours.....yikes.  Did your feet get cold or wet?

The course profile reminded me of Steve P.  No reason. 

Yes, my feet got cold and wet, but it wasn't too bad.   And I didn't notice the elevation profile's resemblance to a certain superhero till you pointed it out!

Incidentally, as long as they are publicized in advance, have an RD (not just an anonymous  flash run, even if premeditated), and have results showing at least five starters/three finishers, F/A’s count for Marathon Maniac races. .

Tet, thanks!  I didn't know that.  Or maybe I knew that but I had forgotten.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Beautiful pictures! Continuing the tradition of excellent race photos, that last one is awesome. Nice job on what turned out to be a pretty long day!

Was the trail well marked? I'd be worried about losing the trail and ending up wandering in the wilderness.... That 50k I ran in June was pretty well marked but some folks still got turned around and misdirected.

Wow!  I'm speechless. (Quit laughing).

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Marathon Maniac #957

Very beautiful and tough run!  And if YOU were tied for last place, I know I would have been out there for two more hours!  Well done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I love the subliminal Batman observation.  Not much I can think of to say about an almost 9-hour run through the mountains.  Amazing.

coastwalker

Hi Wildchild,

What a gorgeous course, and what an amazing runner you are! If I were to attempt a distance and course like that, you'd be tracking my progress with a calendar. Good on you for another great, inspiring run!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

sunkid

Thanks for sharing your experience, wildchild! What a beautiful race! I would be much more than "a little creaky on the stairs".

Great report, Carolyn. Always interesting to see people running in an environment that's totally different from what I'm used to. You are indeed one Wild Child!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Holy moly -- 70% on snow is a LOT of miles on snow!  This is supercool -- thank you for posting the report.  Attagirl!!