Masters Running

Wednesday, 11.18.15 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Nice start yesterday, Tet!

Looks like there was some rain running, cold running, and indoor running yesterday, along with talks about leaners (I'd also look into that, Aamos) and blisters, and Monkeys, and photos of cute kids.

We got back from NOLA late yesterday afternoon, and tried to get back to normal (whatever that is) so we could get back to our regular schedule today. After the trade conference ended, DW, the niece and I hung out for a few days, doing a lot of walking, touring and eating. Good trip.

DW flew back to NJ from NOLA to be with her family and friends until she drives up with the fam for Thanksgiving. Last night, she found out she got into UConn for the spring semester, and 'excited' doesn't begin to describe how she feels. Good for her!

4.5 RW miles this morning in 27F temps. I'm finally getting back to being able to workout with only slight discomfort, so maybe I can put this glute thing behind me...

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay....

having set a PR

for accidentally Running in a Hailstorm,

I am now contemplating

HH walking in the 40-mile an hour winds we are catching BEFORE the Whonker Storm hits

OR

taking erika's suggestion about  RestDays,,,,,,,,,this coming from a Runner who thinks -6 degrees is ''Not that Cold''

having eaten out-of-date yogurt last night,

I'm wondering

if I have already hit my DoSomethingStoopid Quota for the week

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

...later that same morning...

well,

that worked pretty well>>>>>>>> n0t

got in 15-min, decided to call it quits when rain was hitting me Sideways and a Tree fell across the road

...there's such a thing

as Having Too Much Fun...

I'm wondering

Nah. If the bacteria in that stuff hasn't killed you yet, you're good to go Tom   I finally found something that got an A+ rating on that "Fooducate" app I download on my smartphone. Steel cut oatmeal. With nothing in it. No honey, no brown sugar, no raisins. Just oatmeal. I had a bowl this morning. Kinda like eating wallpaper paste. I'm not sure this trying to make better food choices is as exciting as I thought it might be!

Welcome back Jay. Everyone must have forgotten to set their alarms while you were gone. The dailies got started pretty late the last few days.

Congrats on the new job Enke. Sorry about the minus temps Erika. Keep 'em north though, would you? Oh. And have fun in Hawaii. Is this a business trip or vacation?

It was 50° at 4:30 this morning. Unfortunately, it was also raining and the sustained winds were blowing 30-35 mph. Being a smart person, I decided it was a great day to go to the Y.  50 minutes on the elliptical and 20 minutes of weights, then jumped into the last 20 minutes of a cardio sculpt class.

Has anyone been watching "Fargo" on FX? OMG. It is so good this year! Being a Coen Brothers production, it's very violent at times but the story lines are unbelievable.

...later that same morning...

well,

that worked pretty well>>>>>>>> n0t

got in 15-min, decided to call it quits when rain was hitting me Sideways and a Tree fell across the road

...there's such a thing

as Having Too Much Fun...

But how'd the yogurt treat you??

Congrats to your DW, Jay!  What's she studying?

Holly - I saw your post about the getting a couple of guns.  I LOVE shooting guns.  We used to go shooting quite often when I was a kid.  I used to be a pretty good aim with a .30-30.  Unfortunately, we can't have guns in the house because of you-know-who.  *sigh*  If we ever have an intruder, I guess we can just throw Wilson at him.  Of course, if the intruder is at night, the sight of Shorty running at him buck naked would probably scare him off, too.  Oh wait - TMI??

I can't believe it's Wednesday and I haven't checked in since Saturday. . . . .well, okay, I can believe it.  It's been busy at work, and when I get home I just don't feel like getting on the computer.  And why oh why am I having such a hard time getting up in the a.m.?  Because of my current low level of desire in that regard, I'll have to do my bike workout when I get home tonight.  Dang it . . . .

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

,,,,,,,,this coming from a Runner who thinks -6 degrees is ''Not that Cold''

Well, it isn't, really. It was -12 this morning and noticeably chillier! And yogurt is good way past the date on the package. As someone told me once, it's already rotten milk, how can it go bad?

Jeanne, put some raisins and a little brown sugar on it! Not worth eating anything that tastes like paste.

Aamos! I took a minute to go find your pictures from the Jacksonville Bank race and OMG, something is not right and it can be fixed! Definitely have some imbalances there and they won't go away on their own!

Housesitter #1 has bailed on us. Got a tip from DS1's GF (they're also going with us but a couple days later) for another so hope to meet up with her this evening. Seeing as how we leave tomorrow, that's our only chance! Did I ever tell you guys we got a new cat? She showed up at our house late last month and we figured she lived in the neighborhood. But she kept coming by, in the snow, and we figured something wasn't right. So DH got a live trap from the shelter and we trapped her with some chicken as bait. We've been advertising all over but no one seems to be missing her. So... if we haven't heard anything by the time we get back, we're keeping her! Abby is not impressed and was loving being the only cat, but she'll just have to get used to it. Haven't named her yet, want to make sure we're keeping her first. But she's a real cutie and very affectionate, and soft!

Erika, another kitty!

TomS - oh my goodness, that baby!  I want to steal him, he's so incredibly cute!!

Talk about the worst breakfast ever - I bought  I big box of Grapenuts at Costco.  It is like eating gravel.  Or little hardened bits of bread, which is exactly what it is.  Ugh.

Jay, exciting news about your wife, tell us more if you can.

It's Wednesday!!  However, Mr. Blue Eyes has a cold so we might cancel.

I ran 4.3 miles this morning and the knee felt better than it has in a few weeks.  I think the trick is to keep running to keep the muscles strong.  My DD's school lost power in the wind storm yesterday, so no school for her today.  She was thrilled!

Crazy making conversation with an insurance company today to get new insurance on my cabin.  How can anyone take these companies seriously?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

having set a PR

for accidentally Running in a Hailstorm,

I am now contemplating

HH walking in the 40-mile an hour winds we are catching BEFORE the Whonker Storm hits

OR

taking erika's suggestion about  RestDays,,,,,,,,,this coming from a Runner who thinks -6 degrees is ''Not that Cold''

having eaten out-of-date yogurt last night,

I'm wondering

You always make me laugh, Tom....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

If we ever have an intruder, I guess we can just throw Wilson at him.  

This morning was a blustery 59 degrees, and I had to get out for what will likely be one of my last "in shorts and t-shirt" runs of the year.  It was absolutely lovely, running in the early morning darkness with the warmish winds blowing and swirling the leaves around and the stars all about, lots of smiling to myself.

5 miles total

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Crazy making conversation with an insurance company today 

Did I tell you about my recent experiences with AT&T?   

DD's new phone arrived yesterday, btw (and she is over the moon, a week and a half being without a phone being absolute torture for a teenage girl).  However, I have to go to bat again with them this weekend over apparently being billed twice for the same time period.  Bleck.

Sayhey! MM#130

Too much funniness to comment, and I can't, still laughing at y'all.

And I am working on the leaning thing--that's why my calf is now a little achy as I OVER-exercised last week on my day off.  (One legged squats are not for the eejits; too much can go wrong, and that's not counting the times I fell down before being able to execute one.)

Jay--when I first moved to Massachusetts as a young teen, I knew not of all the N.E. colleges.  So when my friend's older brother was getting a lot of mention because he got a sports scholarship to UConn, I heard "Yukon."  How exotic, I thought (and promptly gave my Maynard classmates another funny story to tease me with, not that they didn't already have enough to run with due to my "Midwestern accent.")

Only did 4 or so last night, cause of the dark.  6 or so this am at Lakes Park.  What the dark takes away at night, it gives back in the am!

grins,

A

ps: the low in Nashville is supposedly going to be 26 and the HIGH on Sunday isn't going above 45.  Is this true tw?  This is way beyond my experience of late.  Reston, VA in March was cold.   Yikes!

pps: maybe Abby will come 'round when it's just the two of them while you and P. are in Hawaii, E.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

This morning, it was in the mid 50s and quite windy.  I was able to pick a route where the wind was from the side so it wasn't too bad.  I got in 4 miles at a 10:58 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

moebo

Jay, I am interested to hear about your DW and Uconn. My son is a 2014 graduate of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and my father got his JD there.

This morning was a blustery 59 degrees, and I had to get out for what will likely be one of my last "in shorts and t-shirt" runs of the year.  It was absolutely lovely, running in the early morning darkness with the warmish winds blowing and swirling the leaves around and the stars all about, lots of smiling to myself.

This makes me very jealous! This morning it was in the mid-20s, so I finally put on long pants, an ear covering and mittens.

But it was clear and still, and I saw a shooting star!

4 miles total.

evanflein

...with the warmish winds blowing and swirling the leaves around and the stars all about....

That is some wind to be blowing the stars all about!

Amy, we figure they'll either work out some sort of truce or kill each other (or the house), so it'll be interesting to see what awaits us when we get home!

ps: the low in Nashville is supposedly going to be 26 and the HIGH on Sunday isn't going above 45.  Is this true tw? 

...sadly, yes,

but Erika and her Alaskans would just be debating closing their windows in another month