Masters Running

Serene Sunday.......... (Read 49 times)

........just found out

our choir is doing one of my favorite songs, ''Jean Racine by Faures''

one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard (notice how he Layers the Voices In)

AND

I know how to read the music!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKwHiGg21KA

enjoy.......

========

but I digress.......

50min bike ride 50's

'bought fell off the bike (again)

thought about it

and TAPED instructions to myself for getting on and off for next week............duh

............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

coastwalker

Morning Tom, and everyone to follow.

Some good racing yesterday by TSelbes, Holly, Wildchild and IBUB. A PB and 2 PWs, but good efforts all around. Nice to see some volunteering at races too - volunteers are the life blood of every race.

Gotta watch out for those older racers - they mean business! Smile

Sorry you had to retype your post, Mike, but it (as always) made for interesting reading of an impressive workout, and other stuff too.

Good luck, and have fun with door #3, Enke!

Nice Andy Brown reference, Tammy!

We had good friends, both in their 80s, over for dinner last night, and had a great time. We finished the last of our fresh-from-the-boat scallops, accompanied by grill-roasted veggies. DW made GF ice cream pie for dessert which topped things off deliciously.

I was out at 4 o'fog this morning for a 14.1 mi. racewalking workout. Weird, misty, diffused light in the fog made me feel like I was on the moors in Sherlock Holmes' England. There was no sunrise, just a gradual lightening of the sky and lifting of the fog. At mile 11, I passed 3 young deer grazing in a yard. They acknowledged my existence and kept grazing. No fear at all. At mile 12, I passed a yard with about 20 wild turkey searching for breakfast. There were 5 more turkeys about 3/4 of a mile further up the road. Mr. Garmin said I burned off about 1,100 calories this morning. I had a nice big omlette with home fries at our favorite dive to start to replenish.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

That was funny Tammy.  You should have asked him if he knew a guy named Spareribs. I bet I know the guy.  Interesting coincidence.

Not feeling sorry for Holly today.  She is a fine ultra runner and everyone has a race that doesn't work out. We know you are a champ.

Found out I was 2nd yesterday, not 1st. Just wanted to fess up!  Today I did a 5 mile recovery run out at the lake. BTW, that lake is Lake Grapevine, and our own Janie B. Good used to live out there.

Now it's baseball and football, soon as I write my Dallas Morning News column. Flying out tomorrow to Chattanooga, then on to Dalton, GA. Where the heck is that?  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Another four miler with my soles on the first little coatings of fallen leaves of the year (from yesterday’s heavy rainstorm) on the bike paths and under the waning moon (just like my running) for this month’s fourth such outing and a rare month with training miles (16) exceeding event miles (13.1) that hasn’t happened since IM training days in 2005. Still hasn’t happened for an entire year though.
          As usual, the goddesses far exceeded the rest of our running, especially with two 50-K’s.  Congratulations for two new PB 50K PW’s. However, there’s still five more hours to go to catch me. .
          Holly, after what you’ve been through I hope your disappointment doesn’t mean you were expecting a PR or something.  It’s how you define it but, considering what you’ve just been through, your not only getting to the start but also finishing strong, healthy, refreshed and rejuvenated to move on will probably be one of the best PR’s of your life. I wish I could run that kind of a course like that again.

ps tom - if you're falling because you have special cycling shoes that clip into the pedals (and you're not trying to be competitive), just regular tennis shoes, if that, with regular pedals (and the slip-in toe cages) provide just as much exercise, if not more, and way more fun.  good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Actually, I did, Ribs. But your name, both real and nickname, didn't ring a bell with him. Maybe he's spent many years under a rock, because I thought everyone in the Dallas metro area knew you Wink

Tammy

.....ribbs//.........Dalton.Ga is the Carpet Capitol of the world,,,,,,,it's across the state line from TN

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

TomWhite - that is indeed lovely!

Ribs - maybe you should feel sorry for me today, since I am walking down the stairs backwards and even stepping down from the curb is daunting...Big grin...my kids are laughing at me...

Tet - you make a good point....

Here is the flyer for my next race in two weeks, which I will be doing with the two ladies I am bringing to Moab, using this as our last big LR.  It's called the Blair Witch V Trail Race, and we will be doing the 17-mile option.

http://www.orrrc.org/attachments/article/96/Blair%20Witch%202013.pdf

3 very slow recovery miles for me this morning in 62 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

IBleed, nice half with PR.  wild, that was quite the 50K trail race with big elevation changes.  Jay, nice 14.1  miles in the fog and with the wildlife.

This morning, it was about 60° and there was a light wind.  I did 3 miles at a 10:54 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

Jay, nice 14 miler in the fog! I actually think that fog running is rather romantic.

Spareribs, way to go with yet another AG victory.

ohh yahh, that Holly is a star!

Up at 5 this morning to go running, but it was raining and rather windy. I waited for the wind to calm down and head out shortly after 6 for a sproinky 16 wave miles. This was the first time I ran a wave run in a while and I was reminded again how much fun they are. They definitely add a spice to a longish run.

Ohh...The sun was coming up the mountain when my RP decided to join me for about 7 miles. That was a blast.

Now off to can some plum chutney. I tell you we will have chutney to feed a whole village Roll eyes . We are going to dinner at my former boss's house tonight, which is rather nice since I will not have to can and cook dinner at the same time.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

The inaugural Mountain Lakes 100 . . . . . E-P-I-C.  The satellite pic attached - hopefully it is still showing the incredible weather hitting that area.  The race called around 8:30 p.m. yesterday due to extremely hazardous conditions - rain, sleet, snow, driving winds with gusts of up to 40 mph.  Two vehicles possibly totaled due to trees falling on them.  It was absolutely incredible.  My hat's off to the race directors for having a fantastic evacuation plan in place to get the runners and volunteers out of the area in an orderly fashion, and to the runners for their patience as everyone at the various aid stations did their best to keep them warm.  Lots of runners with varying degrees of hypothermia, but the RDs had sleeping bags and space blankets for each aid station.  Finally got back to our vehicle/camp site around 2:00 a.m. - exhausted and relieved that everyone was safe and sound.

Lots more to tell, but right now I am tired.  Yack atcha later ~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tammy, have you met Ribs?  I haven't, so maybe he isn't real.

Leslie, wow, scary.

4 miles on the happy mill, 3rd mile at current 5K pace.

I'm wondering if Tribee's insurance will go up.  Maybe that should be a question on those insurance applications - after the ones like "how long have you been driving?", "do you swerve for squirrels?"  Poor Tribee!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

greetings all.  a little late posting of this morning's run.

It was a three lap special just like Tramps yesterday.   Well, the loops were less than half as long.  Oh, there was very little in the way of hills.  And I guess my time was QUITE a bit slower.  But other than that, just like it.  9.4 miles at 9:39 pace for three laps around the lake.

DW and I spent the afternoon in Salem looking at the last day of the Faberge exhibit at the Peabody-Essex.  We started out with a great breakfast at a little hole in the wall.  The pieces on display were amazing--very impressive what you can do with the backing and money of a Czar or two.  Only a few of the fancy eggs, though, so just a little disappointing.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

especially since triBee's a triathlete where insurance is always a big issue.

Oh leslie. how incredible, and scary.

I'm sure glad you were there with Kate from the beginning. .

Since they said it was coming down south from Seattle and we only had a monsoon-like deluge for only about an hour yesterday, I didn't think it would be bad at all by the time it got down to you.  Glad it didn't lull the RD into false security. What a hero he/she/they are for all the runners so we don't have to be reading about it in the newspaper.

Hey, maybe sign up for one of the Pigtails 100/150/200 mile challenges in May 2014 probably witih francesca, dove and certain other individuals who probably shouldn't keep trying but don't know any better and, even if they did, don't care and would keep trying anyway .  Thihs May, there was one runner who had a different pacer on each of her 10 laps around the10-mile Lake Youngs perimeter trail.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - Wow!  That sounds like everyone's nightmare race conditions, but what an awesome race director to have the back-up plans in place to get everyone safely off the course and cared-for.

Enke - do we get more details? Or do you want to wait a bit?  Either way I am so happy to hear you are having fun.  Smile

Mariposai - your plum chutney sounds wonderful!

I am slowly going through my mom's things with my SD to sort out what to keep, what to throw out, what to donate to charity.  A lifetime's collection of stuff, it will take a while.  Tonight's job was shoes, nearly 35 pairs.  We girls do love our shoes.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

fatozzig kudos to the RD who planned for and organized such a well executed evacuation!  If only every RD took his job this seriously.

Yesterday I went off for 20 miles with 5 at MP.  But I tried to make it the last 5 and they are uphill so it ended with 2 miles at just a bit slower than MP.  I live to fight another day.  Speaking of which I am about to become a single guy for the week.  My DW is done fighting the currently busted MetroNorth train and is moving into the city until they get the currently blown out transformers working again and with them the commuter trains.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/