Masters Running

Monday, 11.23.15 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Busy day today, so just a quick walk-by.

Congrats on another good (and relatively lean-free) race, Aamos!

Twocat, I'll be making your drunken cranberry sauce again this year too.

Beautiful place to run, run, run, AD! Thanks for the photos.

Today is a 3-meeting day, with lots to do in between. DW is fighting a major cold/sore throat, and will probably stay home today. It was below freezing and the overnight rains were just tapering off when I got up this am, so I kept up my SRD Monday schedule instead of venturing out on slick dark roads.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...hi guys//.....Dr Bookspan wrote me back

and said that wasn't her quote I put in

AND

wanted me to let you know

also

the heat died during the night, and I am waiting for a RepairMan instead of hitting the Trails

............soooooooooo, ask me how my day is going...

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Great job at the Monkey, Amy!

Good luck with your meetings, Jay.

TomWhite - hope you stay warm.

DD had her first assessment with the basketball coach on Saturday, and he told her she was going to be one of the 5 starters on the team.    She was very happy.

No run for me today, P90X Legs and Back.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Congrats to your daughter, Holly! That's exciting!

I think it was tselbs that mentioned the other day he's had a 12 yr streak of racing once per month. If I am remembering that right, big congrats to you! that's a great streak to be proud of!

great pics from Avenger Doggie at the end of yesterday's thread. What a lucky dog to run in such cool places. His jacket matches what I wore on my run yesterday too - bright orange. We would've made quite the pair.

probably no running for me today - working and then since we have some possible snow in forecast for tomorrow and into Wed, I guess I'll get all my Turkey Day food shopping done today. Usually forecasters are so far off it's laughable, but better to be prepared. Plus I might avoid all the other last minute shoppers if I get it out of the way today.

Tammy

Great pics, Avenger Doggie!  You always have SO much fun ~~

Jay - Hope your DW feels better soon.

TW - Well that just sucks.

Holly - Yay for your DD!

Mike - Sounds like a great game!

My workout will be this evening.  I slept great from 9:00 to 11:00, then was up until about 12:30 and then awake off and on the rest of the night. Reset the alarm from 4:30 to 6:30.  I tell ya, I can't remember the last time I got a full 7-8 hrs of sleep without waking up multiple times.

For those of you having deal with holiday craziness, good luck!

Enjoy the short week, friends ~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike, great basketball for your grand daughters.  deez, thinking of your father in law and the whole family.  tet, nice, speedy, 10K.  Happy birthday to Super Granny.  AD, love the pictures from Sleeping Bear.  tomw, what a bummer to have the heat go out.  I hope it gets fixed quickly and relatively inexpensively.  Holly, congrats to your daughter on being a starter.

Nice long run for fatozzig.

This morning, I did 6 miles on the TM at an 11:15 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

I tell ya, I can't remember the last time I got a full 7-8 hrs of sleep without waking up multiple times.

That actually happens?  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

That actually happens?  

Theoretically . . . but I'm beginning to think it only happens in fairy tales . . . .

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Sunny but chilly (32-degrees) 5-mile morning cycle commute that I must be getting used to as the hardest part's become the three or more attempts to get my leg over the top bar to get going,. Maybe I oughta start doing some of ziggie's stretchies.

...hi guys//.....Dr Bookspan wrote me back

and said that wasn't her quote I put in

AND

wanted me to let you know

Another Mr. Without-a-Clue chapter for Dr. Bookspan from another senior runner lined up

with barefoot guy <<<(that-would-be-me)>>> in the “scenic” pace division of Sunday’s Gobble-Gobble 10K.

woc - how long have you been running barefoot?
                    bfg - pretty much ever since 1990.
                    woc - I have bad knees my doctor says are getting worse from heel-striking so have to have the cushioning of good running shoes
                    bfg - I used to too but my doc said the mid-and-forefoot landings required for running barefoot would strengthen up ankle muscles to alleviate the pressure on my knees a little. 
                    woc - some arthroscopic knee surgery has helped but I add even more cushioning with insoles.
                    bfg - my doc said that heel cushioning masks the undue pressure on the knee and makes it worse
                    woc - I’d try running barefoot but it’s not a style for slow heel-strikers
                    bfg - that’s for sure but you ought to try it or thin racing flats that force forefoot running without a second thought.
                    woc - I’ve good a new pair of shoes for a marathon I really want to run next year.

bfg - they take me six-or-seven hours now but I can do them all the way without heel-striking

woc - have a good run
                    bfg - you too.
                    epilogue - bfg beat woc by two minutes.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

I'm very far behind here and won't even pretend to catch up, but did want to say how nice it is to have Tamster posting again! Good to see you, fren, and happy birthday!

Beautiful pictures, Taggie, and sounds like you had a lot of fun!

Congrats Holly, to your DD, and you too to your GD's Mike.

5.2 easy recovery miles today, running with DS1's GF. A few walk breaks (off the clock) but mostly just slow easy running. It's her longest distance in a long time so we took it really easy. The kids are off at the beach now, and DH and I are going to go get some stuff at the drugstore across the street. We're in Poipu Beach now, at MIL's condo, so settling in for the week with groceries and misc. sundries to be like a home away from home for awhile. It's very humid here...

...Nice running Bfg.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

Happy birthday Tamster!

Aamos, great job with the Monkey.

Congrats to Holly's DD! A stellar athlete!

Sorry to hear about your DW fighting a major cold/sore throat. It is going around here as well.

My new job is very challenging, but the nice thing about the job is the flexibility I have. Today I was able to take off in the middle of the day for a hilly 6 miles. Gorgeous running weather. I decided to start throwing in a few marathon pace during my run. Those three miles at MP were very hard.

Cheers to all and Happy Thanksgiving planning and cooking!

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I did 7 miles tonight.  I went for 2 easy, then figured I'd throw in a mile at an accelerated pace, then, after taking it easy for a mile, I did another mile with speed, then finished with an easy 2 miles.  Total time was 51:56.  Didn't feel too bad.  I was very conscious of all the body parts that have been giving me trouble and everything held together pretty well.

Okay--gotta go--see ya!

moebo

Good evening!

Aamos, so happy to hear you enjoyed your race.

Holly, congrats to your daughter!

Leslie, I had trouble sleeping for years until the doctor put me on HRT. It's like a miracle! Unfortunately, I;m going to have to give it up one of these days...not looking forward to that.

Took my twins out tonight for dinner at a French restaurant in celebration of their 23rd birthday. One of the best meals I've had in ages--foie gras as an appetizer, venison with black trumpet mushrooms for the entree. I would go back in a minute if it weren't so expensive!

This morning got in 4 very slow recovery miles that took away my lingering aches from yesterday's long run.

Sigh -- another year goes by and I still haven't run the monkey.

Well, I made it home from airport-land 1am Sunday, which was actually lucky, given the weather...  I know O'Hare is problematic, but it usually works for me and my United flights often transfer there.  In my long walk I found the crowded JetBlue & Spirit terminal, which seemed like a different country.  The American Airlines terminals played the worst music (soft noodly boring formulaic jazz).  I pulled my little wheelie suitcase wherever I went,    For airport walking, a 360 degree wheelie suitcase is essential!

Walked to school & back todsy( nothing special, 6 miles total.  Yikes, I've turned into a walker!