Masters Running

Cigna 5K corporate Challenge RR (Read 194 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

A quick report on my most recent race. This was the Cigna Corporate challenge 5K in Manchester, NH. It can be an individual race or also for a team from your company (5 minimum). I discovered it while browsing for a summer 5K and knew we had at least a couple of runners in the company, so I managed to get a team of 3 men and 3 women on very short notice. Turns out that I was up in Maine with the family so I had a 2 hour drive to the race. It’s about an hour from our office so we all met at a convenient park and ride and carpooled into Manchester. The weather was a little warmer than I would have preferred (about 80), but there was a nice little breeze and not too humid. The other two men are sub 20 5K so just a little beyond my reach, so they took off to warm-up a little before us. 2 of the women planned on walking and the third (my boss) hoped to be able run the whole way. With my sharp sense of direction, I managed to go several blocks the wrong way while looking for the porta-potties (I was well hydrated on my long drive), so I got in a little longer warm-up than planned. Fortunately the lines moved quickly and I made it to the starting line with a little time to spare and met my boss. There were over 5000 people starting so they had sections for competitive, recreational runners, and then walkers. After the gun, we started walking and just about started running when we hit the mats. even at my slow pace, I left my boss behind fairly quickly. The first mile is technically uphill, but so gradual that I couldn’t notice. Lots of bobbing and weaving amongst the walkers that were confused on where to line up. 8:35 on my watch so a little slower than I hoped, but right around where I expected. Around that point was the fisrt sprinkler in the road. I caught as much of it as I could and thanked the providers. Then a little ways further was the water station and someone was spraying folks with a hose. In trying to get wet I managed to get on the back of the station, but snagged a cup to soak myself with anyway. 2ns mile 16:55 after a mostly downhill section and was pleasantly surprised. The last mile was sort of rolling and I could definitely feel the heat. I was passing people on the downs and getting passed on the ups. I think that’s because the downs are technique and the ups are base. And my base sucks at the moment. The last .2 starts with a turn off the main road onto a side road that’s a staright shot into the finish. You just can’t see the finish because you had to go up what looked like a straight up hill and then flat into the finish chute. Rather painful and I didn’t feel like I had much left. Ended up with watch time of 26:53 and pretty happy. The 2 fast guys ended up with 19:28 and 20:06 for 200th and 260th. My boss ended up with 33:50 and the two walkers ended up just over 50:00. They were psyched because they were able to run portions of the course. We don’t appear to have shown up on the team results, so I need to check with the race director to see if I screwed up our application. Everyone had a great time and want to do it again next year. I’m hoping with a little more warning, we’ll have even more participants. Fashion report: usual Tagjay outfit, black shorts, red top, and GTS7's. also a cotton hat that is getting quite stiff. i need a real runnign hat. So, acutally not too quick, but thanks for reading. Kevin eta: 102/225 AG (50-54) and 1453/4827 OA

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice! I'm the only runner at my office, and it would be fun to have others. Good job putting the team together. Let us know what happened with not being listed in the results.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

DickyG

Kevin...I think that's a great effort for a number of reasons...you really gutted it out at the end...sounds like the last bit took all you had (which is the way to finish a race). Overall, top 3rd of the field, top half of age group...sub-9 overall pace...nice going. DickyG
        huskydon

Kevin, Good job pulling the team together. Sounds like a great time was had by all, so maybe this will be a new tradition for your work group. You would have run faster at the start if there weren't so many participants, but it probably worked out because you needed everything at the end. Good job! Is it ok to beat the boss? huskydon
          SteveP

Stumpy!!!! Sweet team work!! Is beating the boss a good idea???? Thanks for the RR.

SteveP

Stumpy, I think it's neat you could do this with some coworkers. It sounds like a good time for all and a nice race for you. Congratulations. TomS

King of PhotoShop

The key phrase was, "everybody had a good time." What a great activity for company morale and bonding. Good for all of you. Nice report. Spareribs
                  Kevin! Great time! And for a tough race too. Post pics next time. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

there's nothing better than "everybody had a great time" for me that's what it's all about -- running to feel good and have fun!! great job pulling the team together and for running a great race!!

denise

coastwalker

Hi Kevin, Congratulations on putting together at team on short notice, and on running quite well in such a huge race (the Cigna may be the largest race in NH). It is tough enough to race on a warm day without having to bob and weave around so many people - that's a real time and energy drain. It's great that your team had a great time, and that they're psyched about doing the race again next year. Is there any chance you'll come back to NH (Greenland) for our Great Bay 5K in late Oct? If so, let me know... Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jay--just looked it up. it's the 25th, which is the day after I take (endure?) the PE exam in Concord. it sounds like a good race, even if there's a bunch of fast, old guys (but when are there not?) i like the option of getting a tech t-shirt for a modest extra. Definitely adding it to my calender. thanks for the info, Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I have tried many times to get a team from my office to run and people pull out for all sorts of reasons. And I'm talking races that do not involve carpooling. I am so envious! Loved your report. Nice work...now, what's your secret in getting everyone to the start? grins, A ps: hope it's ok to beat your boss Wink!
                          Masters 2000 miles

#artbydmcbride

Great job, stumpy (kameele) Next year you guys will rock the course! Nice work getting the ladies hooked on racing too. Smile

Runners run