Masters Running

Thursday, 6.11.15 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

hello.

Question for jay- if one foot is always in contact with the ground technically it's WALKING, right??

TW, I was thinking about your question on my workout this morning: Technically, according to the rules of racewalking, you have to always (based on what the naked eye can see) have one foot in contact with the ground, AND your leading leg has to be straight from the point of contact to when it passes vertical. Some people do a shuffling kind of running where they seem to always have a foot on the ground, but that doesn't make it walking. So, unless you are trying to racewalk, I'd say that whether or not someone is walking is in the eye of the beholder. Or, as a Supreme Court Justice might say; I don't know what walking is, but I'll know it when I see it.

6.4 RW miles this morning under gauzy skies, in temps in the mid-60s, with some faint ground fog, and with a nice, cooling breeze coming off the ocean. Away from the water, i could feel the heat and humidity begin to creep in for the day. I wanted to go a little faster with each passing mile, and I went from 11:39 to 10:39 by the time I was done. And then I was very done...

Have a greta 'little Friday!'

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I had a good hard run on the City Forest trails.  5.52 miles total.  The fast guys were taking it easy because of weekend races, so I was able to bust my gut and keep up until about the last stretch.   Finished 3 minutes faster than last Thursday over the same course and my legs let me know I was going faster.

Anniversary number 32 today.  I think Cindy liked her hygrometer.

Slo

Funny Dave...I just finished programming a calculation to determin dew point based on an input from a hygrometer. Happy Anniversary! and congrats on the 32 years!

My running has sucked the last two days. I am not yet acclimated to the temps and humidity. Plus today my stomache was a little jacked.

37 days to RAGBRAI but who's counting.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya and good morning!

Sayhey tomwhite, are you taking up RWing?  very cool!

....that was Potter Stewart.

Congrats on both accomplishments, Dave.     Why does Cindy want to track moisture?  For plants?

had some of one of the mangoes I ran home last night; yum!  Good in salad.

Anyone eagerly looking forward to Jurassic World tomorrow?

We had rain overnight, so woke to clouds and coolth.  Nearly finished my run and it was just 70 degrees.  Easy 6 miles, since DH and I both went out last night after work for a bit.

Happy Thursday and weekend anticipation,

grins,A

p.s. enjoyed a story on Lawrence Ferlinghetti on Morning Edition this AM.  He's still going strong at 96, still has an ownership interest in City Lights Bookstore in SF, still writing.   "Poetry is the shadow cast by our streetlight imaginations."

--Streetlight imaginations.......takes me back to sitting on the porch on summer nights with my chums.........how about you?

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Dave59

Congrats on both accomplishments, Dave.     Why does Cindy want to track moisture?  For plants?

We're supposed to keep the house around 50% humidity so it is more comfortable for the prospective buyers.

Today's free sample at Starbucks was a Lemon Bar Frappuccino.

Henrun

p.s. enjoyed a story on Lawrence Ferlinghetti on Morning Edition this AM.  He's still going strong at 96, still has an ownership interest in City Lights Bookstore in SF, still writing.   "Poetry is the shadow cast by our streetlight imaginations."

--Streetlight imaginations.......takes me back to sitting on the porch on summer nights with my chums.........how about you?

Speaking of poetry, there was also a story on Morning Edition yesterday about the new national poet laureate-the second poet Laureate from Fresno State University on the last 5 years. I'm proud to say that I took a couple of poetry workshops there when I lived in Fresno in the 90's.

Saw an advance screening last night of an unusual film (winner of the Sundance festival), Me and Earl and the Dying Girl-worth seeing once it's released in 2 weeks.

Did a very short shake-out run this morning in the H&H prior to Saturday's 10 K (also being run by Marj, my son and Coastwalker). My son rarely runs but said he wants to accompany me (a great early Father's Day gift!).

BlazinCajun

Good morning,

Jay, Thanks for getting us started today

Happy anniversary Dave - 50% humidity sounds nice!

Hang in there Slo_Hand

I love mango margaritas

Live in the South - you just have to love sweat. Doesn't take much to partake in that love down here.

Nice cool run this morning at 82° and 75% humidity. Ran a fartlek run with one of our fire engine operators and he got a call that there was a wildland fire near the CSX railroad -  dispatch said the crew would pick him up. Hope they brought him some NOMEX to wear.

Shoes - I usually jump in the pool and do some dynamic stretching then remove the shoe liners and rinse in the pool. They usually smell like a swimming pool all summer long.

Have a great day,

Andrew

Andrew
                ------------------
                God, my Lord, is my strength;
                he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                and enables me to go upon the heights.
                Hb 3:19

King of PhotoShop

For the record, no matter what he says, TW is NOT a bum!

Yes Twocat, I am also a Mets fan, and they are not having a bad year, but it hurts to be no-hit. Here is an interesting stat for you.  The LA Dodgers had a no-hitter four years in a row, from 1962 to 1965.  All of them by one pitcher. I don't need to tell baseball fans who he was either.

4 for the Saint and 3 for me today at the park. Mine was recovery from yesterday's 10 miler.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Here is an interesting stat for you.  The LA Dodgers had a no-hitter four years in a row, from 1962 to 1965.  All of them by one pitcher. I don't need to tell baseball fans who he was either.

When the Chicago White Sox did it to the Seattle Mariners in April 2012, we created our own hokey no hitter in June by recharging the pitching mound with a fresh pitcher every inning-and-a-half or so for six total pitchers against the same team whose pitcher you mentioned did four in four y ears all by himself. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike, great picture.  Dave, happy anniversary.  Nice long run, evan.

This morning, it was in the mid 50s and almost calm.  I got in 6 miles at an 11:34 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

We're supposed to keep the house around 50% humidity so it is more comfortable for the prospective buyers.

Seriously?  And you made an anniversary gift out of it?  Hmmm....

Hopefully you will live through this one.....

4 easy-paced miles for me today in 74 degrees.  My legs are still tired, so I think a rest day is in order.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

And I thought it was supposed to be a seller's market.   Any place decent around here seems to get a bidding war.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

Seriously?  And you made an anniversary gift out of it?  Hmmm....

Hopefully you will live through this one.....

That was kinda my thoughts on it. Funny how things work out. Happy anniversary Dave! 32 years is awesome.

Anyone wanting to get rid of their excess heat can kindly send it up here. I'm thinking of heading out for a late lunchtime run, but it's still only 52° at 1 p.m. This June sucks. I actually changed my day off plans, and will only take a half day off tomorrow. If it's not going to be nice out tomorrow morning, I might as well be at work!

Sayhey! MM#130

Here is an interesting stat for you.  The LA Dodgers had a no-hitter four years in a row, from 1962 to 1965.  All of them by one pitcher. I don't need to tell baseball fans who he was either.

Yeah, and how come someone hasn't made a movie about him?  He almost made me follow the Dodgers for a bit (no conflict since my team was in the AL, and I'd read tons about the Brooklyn Bums so was inclined toward the team anyways......

It also hurts when your beloved team insists on playing like a Triple AAA team........

.........a sickly silence falls upon me and the DH in the evenings.....

Maybe I'll go see that movie henrun said was good.  SOunds like something I'd like.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy anniversary to Dave and Cindy!

Amy, I love the word "coolth!"

I know this forum isn't just for posts about running, but what's with all the sports talk lately? 

I only ran 2.5 miles between storms.  That's okay, it's taper week anyway, which I'm not real fond of, but I guess it's good.  I have a trail marathon on Sunday, and even though it's not an A race or anything, it does go to a high point of over 13,000 feet, so it would be good to be rested!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.