Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 1.22.16 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Busy day, so I only have time for a walk-by.

Good luck and be safe to everyone impacted by the weekend storm and/or other weather. That covers all of us, doesn't it?

I was part of a long but very productive meeting yesterday afternoon to kick-off a new, 2-year project. I love the energy that comes from productive meetings!

No workout this morning - I would have needed it to be an 'easy' day, but it is hard to go easy when it is chilly (16F) out and I need my furnace to be cranking to stay warm. Also, my right ankle is a little squishy today, so giving it a rest isn't such a bad idea.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

BlazinCajun

Good morning Jay

I Have an easy run with my daughter this afternoon if it is not raining.

Ribs - hope you get this statin issue solved towards your benefit. All we can do is get exercise, rest,  and eat what benefits our body the most.

Went though all this last year; (calcium score, heart ultra sound, nuclear stress test, Berkeley Particle test), and the doctor ultimately decided not to prescribe any meds to me. The high calcium score startled me but everything else checkout fine. The score was from not taking care of myself in the past we think.

Have a great day!

Andrew
      ------------------
      God, my Lord, is my strength;
      he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
      and enables me to go upon the heights.
      Hb 3:19

Sayhey! MM#130

Isn't productive meeting an oxymoron?  <joke>   Glad for you Jay!

Belated hugs, Mari; goodness knows you deserve lots of real ones for all the good you do!

Hang in there Tom.  It will work out for you.  And the rest may result in your legs getting added pep when you start up again.

Say Rosie, I'm going to be in Reston staying with my college roomie the weekend of April 8.   Any chance you'd come over and run the half there on the 10th?

Got in 6 easy last night and 6 easy ones this am and think the calf is going to be ok.   Maybe I'm learning from past injuries.

May have a couple races this weekend.  The full turning into a half last weekend has me reconfiguring.  THe weather (wind gusts over 40 mph) made the 13.1 miles seem enough.  Normally, I'd have just added on some miles to make that a long run, but no.  I think I was tired for a few days following -- seemed to be extra tiring running in all that mess.  Or I'm a wuss.

Erika, jealous!  Love the Capitol Steps!  Happy Bday to Peter and all the best!  Have a greta night.

Wilber Scoville is being honored on Google today: until Wilbur Scoville, there was no objective way of measuring how hot chillies really are.

grins and oh yes, twocat--you get the milk to drink after the hot peppers.  Best way to stop the burn.

Simon loves hot peppers.  Not uncommon for Eclectus birds.  He was in a singing mood last night; he likes Thursdays.

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Slo

Big fan of heat...Nothing livens up a good batch of popcorn like a few dashes of Tabasco sauce. I also keep a bottle of Franks Red Hot at my desk for my afternoon hardboiled eggs.

6.4 breezy miles. The breeze kinda caught me off guard. I did and out and back and was unaware of just how breezy it was until I turned around. I had a good sweat going so the return part of my run was a little uncomfortable. The gear I picked was terrible at blocking the wind and the warm sweat soon became a cold sweat.

All of you in the Storms path, stay safe. Binge watching your favorite show may be in order.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

grins and oh yes, twocat--you get the milk to drink after the hot peppers.  Best way to stop the burn.

Simon loves hot peppers.  Not uncommon for Eclectus birds.  He was in a singing mood last night; he likes Thursdays.

A

We got some habanero hot sauce to put on our bird food for Christmas.  Apparently, it doesn't bother the birds but will keep the squirrels away from it.  Hard to say if it work so far.

3.1 miles around the lake.  16° so not much warmer, but the wind seems to have died down somewhat.  Almost disappointed that we appear to be getting very little out of the latest snowpocolypse.  Our company holiday party is on Saturday and I think 4 of the last 5 years there's been a fairly major snowstorm.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

I can't do really hot sauce.  we bought some "medium" in florida which was so hot we left it in the fridge!

the wind shifted to an east wind and was much worse this morning for me then a couple of days ago.  6 miles in the 'hood

good luck to w/e racers!

(((everyone))))

marj

Good morning good people! That storm brewing on the East Coast looks wicked. Hope everyone is warm and safe! We're just coming out of a pretty good deep freeze for the last week and a half, but this really hasn't been a bad winter, by Wisconsin standards

Tselbs - I'm looking at cataract surgery next year also. My right eye is all filmed over most of the time, but DH wants me to wait until I turn 65 as my health insurance doesn't cover squat.  I've been getting by with eye drops and glasses.

Sorry your meds are causing you such misery Ribs. I hope you figure out how to solve it. We all know how important running is to you.

Hey Aamos - I saw your picture on FB with Boston Billy. You sure hang around with famous folk! Nice picture too, btw.

Taking an unscheduled rest day today. I bought some new Saucony Triumphs and have been wearing them a few weeks now. The nail on my left big toe has been rubbing on the shoe for some reason (I've never had problems with this shoe before) and is now very sore. I've tried taping it, putting liquid Band-Aid on it, but it still hurts like h#@& every time I try to run. Do I poke it with a hot needle to relieve the pressure? I'm looking for some advice as I've got a long run on the docket for tomorrow.

DH and I watched "The Martian" last night. DH kept joking that all of the math problems Matt Damon solved on the blackboard in the hallway at MIT are what saved him

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

27F

no wind

10.55 miles with Billy and Sonya and Ralph. Sonya said, "It's like we're on a double date".  Boy, double-dating was very different when we were younger.  We ran through Eastern State Hospital. The roads were already pre-treated with anti-freeze chemicals. We ran through New Town. We ran out Strawberry Plains and into Holly Hills (Hi Holly!).  Then we ran by the school of business and to the school of education. We headed back by way of Treyburn. Which is uphill and then uphill some more. We ran by James Blair and did NOT have to deal with school buses because they canceled school LAST NIGHT.  Oh geez. That's how it is here in the South. It was a good long run. We usually do not run long on Friday mornings but, this was a preemptive strike.

I enjoyed the Daily yesterday, once again. I like you guys. I would give you all a granola fueled, squirrel appreciated, hug if I could.

Aamos. Yes. I will meet you up in NOVA for a race. Now that lilmrandmrsrosie live in Alexandria, I have a free place to stay. They are great and love to have this old lady stay with them. I am a lucky old lady.

Not so lucky in the cholesterol department.  Did you all read this one?

HDL and menopausal women

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

DH and I watched "The Martian" last night. DH kept joking that all of the math problems Matt Damon solved on the blackboard in the hallway at MIT are what saved him

Hahaha!  The rocket scientist and I watched this on Sunday. The r.s. kept correcting things. I think he enjoyed it but was critical.

p.s. The first flakes are starting to fall...

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

King of PhotoShop

tselbs, I was a member of Lions Club for many years and we were huge advocates for eye care.  The glaucoma procedure is a simple one and best of all, it works wonderfully. You will be so happy once it's done. Good for you.

Thanks all of you for your kind words of support. My guess is that because I eat healthy and exercise, I'm doing the best I can, and if that isn't good enough then it's just too bad for me, but I'm not going to take medicines that make me feel weak, cause me pain, or prevent me from doing what I love to do.

I have this theory about weather, which has been true countless times, and that is that when the forecast is for some huge blizzard, what you actually get are snow flurries, and when the forecast says "cold with a slight chance of snow" that's when you get 42 inches.  Eager to see what happens with WRFB and all those others in the D.C. area.

3 sluggish miles with the Saint this morning. That was all I could do and the third mile was the worst. I estimate it will take almost a week for this junk to pass out of my system.

Great advice from Steve P about the "oinkment" to put on Lucy's scar so she can lose the cone. We will look into it.  Thanks. Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

Aamos. Yes. I will meet you up in NOVA for a race. Now that lilmrandmrsrosie live in Alexandria, I have a free place to stay. They are great and love to have this old lady stay with them. I am a lucky old lady.

WHHHEEEEEEEEEE!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

TammyinGP

speaking of eyecare, that's yet another dr appt I need to get scheduled. I haven't gone for a couple yrs now and I can tell that I'm finally going to have to give in and get progressive lenses.

also speaking of eye care, last weekend, David and the non profit he's involved with (josephine county foundation if anyone is interested in checking out their facebook page), conducted a vision clinic, free to low income folks. They were trained on conducting eye exams and in conjunction with 3 local eye doctors, they gave eye exams to 75 people, who also got to pick out frames and then their lenses are mailed to them. He really found that a rewarding experience.

Okay, gotta get to work and see just how productive a Friday can be.

Tammy

Henrun

Sounds like a very busy Friday. I've had a bothersome and painful ITB this week and could barely walk. Did some ice and stretches and it felt better this am. Went out for a couple of very slow miles and it felt even better. I didn't get Marj's wind-different route.

Ribs- hope the running is better without the statins. Statins are controversial but effective when really needed.

Eye discussions are interesting. I had a right cataract removed 20 years ago and was told I needed a removal in my L eye. A second opinion said I could wait, especially since my vision is great and I rarely wear glasses.

Dave59

I ran 5 miles before the snow started falling. We are supposed to get about foot of it here in western WV. It is snowing hard now.

Tom - Will you be able to walk in some races when you are out with the eye surgery? I'd hate to see your streak of at least one race a month come to an end.

Marathon Maniac #957

The nail on my left big toe has been rubbing on the shoe for some reason (I've never had problems with this shoe before) and is now very sore. I've tried taping it, putting liquid Band-Aid on it, but it still hurts like h#@& every time I try to run. Do I poke it with a hot needle to relieve the pressure? I'm looking for some advice as I've got a long run on the docket for tomorrow.

Jlynne - I get blisters under my middle two toenails quite frequently as my LRs get longer.  I wear my running shoes a size bigger than my street shoes, but I either hit my toes on the top of the shoes or possibly slightly curl my toes when I run.  Regardless, the only relief is for me to carefully press a sterilized needle under my nail into the cuticle.  As I exert pressure, I can tell if there is a blister there, and when it pokes through and drains it, there is relief.  More H2O2 and then clean socks and good as new.

Ribs - I agree that those meds sure seem to be doing a lot of misery, and as good as you eat and exercise, I would think there must be an alternative.

DH took the day off work today.  I work from home on Fridays, but DH doesn't seem to understand that I do actually need to work.  We spent the morning running errands for fix-its to some household things and then I cooked him lunch.  Now that he is on the sofa with the remote, maybe I can get some work done...

4.5 miles for me today in 21(feels like 11) degrees.  Just did not have any energy.  I may hop on the TM later while I am coloring my roots and add a few miles.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."