Masters Running

Tuesday 5/12 (Read 39 times)

Love that this whole week the dates are a palindrome!! Great week to have a baby - now if my friend Liz would just go into labor - can't wait to meet my godchild Josie!!

No run but great 2000 yard coached swim for me this morning.... now to get ready for computraining!!

Great pics Steve!!  I'll check in later to see the happenings!! 

denise

Dave59

Thanks for kicking things off Deez.  I was about to start it up but I'd rather not start the daily when my mind is as blank as it currently is.

I ran with the hill gang this morning. 6.01 miles total.  Due to all the rain yesterday we ran a shorter route to the hill so the total distance is lower than usual, but I did all the hills and that's why I am there.  The assumption was that our usual route would be under water.  I didn't think we got that much rain, but I never argue with someone trying to cut a mile out of my workout.

I made bacon in the oven this morning.  400° for 20 minutes.  Set the bacon on 2 sheets of parchment paper.  Turned out very good.  The bacon I have is thick so it took longer than the 15-18 minutes I had in my instructions.  Probably could have gone for a bit longer to get crispier.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Wow, all the way to the 19th.

Dave, that's the way that my DW has been doing bacon recently.  tastes good, less messy, and all done at once.  Yum.  Bacon.

Nice pics from new and old(er) contributors.

5er (actually 4.99, but who's counting) this morning.  Nice and cool with a neat fog over the lake.  I apparently got about 20% wet in the last mile or so, since that was the last prediction that I saw for the likelihood of the rain that I was running in.  Actually not too bad--after 4 miles, it felt good.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker

Mornin' Deeze, Dave, Stumpy, and everyone else.

Last night, we had a meeting of the condo association where we have our business. DW, who always chastises me for volunteering for too many organizations/jobs, nominated me to be the new Secretary of the group. Go figure...

Today is pack-out and ship day for our upcoming trade conference. So insanity will reign supreme as we try to get the remaining stuff into just the right size cartons (when faced with a question about which size carton to use, we always ask "What would Lands End do?"). Things will calm a bit after we get all the products, display materials, catalogs, etc. out of here until we get ourselves out of here next week.

I needed more sleep this morning more than I needed a workout. So after I fed that cat at 4, I went back to sleep for another 50 minutes or so. It helped a lot.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Search party, search party for posie’s Sunflower RR up in the Methow ranges I used to be able to scamper through too. Maybe I was in the land of steaming onsens too long but with Boston become so blase without any too, I don’t even feel like I’m running that much this year. Speaking of gettin lost, let’s search them thar hills for ziggy too. .
            ps jay - any free samples?
            pps - bacon is one on the inane topics aol has been spamming to hapless users. I don’t like it anymore but, as one of the few ingredients seemingly impossible to burn over an early morning campfire, bacon was always worthwhile to pack in.  Though taste for bacon may fade with age, it’s also supposed to be an anti-aging agent. I wonder how bacon potato chips would be.

s

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Dave, the beauty of oven baking for bacon is that you can just look at it and see when it's done.  Hudson went off with his friends to study last night so I cancelled the dinner I was going to make and the Saint and I had BLT's with swiss cheese instead, on toasted rye.

We also ran 12 miles in the park today to make up for Sunday's cancelled run.  Felt awesome.  Spareribs

Henrun

I'm not much of a bacon lover- guess that comes from my Orthodox Jewish upbringing.

While Marj went to an archeological dig I headed out in the fog and the cool temps for a delightful 7 miler- supposed to hit the high 80's this afternoon.

I received a free entry for the BAA 10 K in June as the AG "champion" in 2014 (1/3). It presents a dilemma since I'm registered for a 10K 8 days earlier and I rarely run that distance anymore. Guess I'll figure it out.

Sayhey! MM#130

Deez!  Great news--I get it's not 100%, but you gutted it out most superbly!

Love the photos.  Hiya Tag and Noah!

OK, this cracked me up: "I'm not much of a bacon lover- guess that comes from my Orthodox Jewish upbringing."  Yup, I imagine that would do it!  Being Italian Catholic and familiar with various forms of guilt, it does take away from an eating experience if you've been raised with a taboo (e.g., meat on Friday) like don't eat pork.

And just do it, henrun!  (The race, not the bacon, that is).......and where in the world is our Dora (marj) such that she is on a dig???  Love you both; you're always up to sumpthin'

Jay in the midst of insanity reigning, hmmm....and it began with the DW nominating you for SECRETARY of a group.  The worst, cuz you have to take minutes, yes?

About 8 and a half this am.......thinking about 600s this evening.....

Happy Tuesday afternoon and evening.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

So Denise is into palindromes, Carolyn is into prime numbers, Dave is into bacon, and on and on... Henry, what exactly is Marj working on? I'd like to see an actual dig in progress, although I have a suspicion that it's 99% tedium and 1% excitement.

I've heard that the demand for bacon is so high (they even sell pizza with bacon-wrapped crust!) that there's an oversupply of the rest of the pork-related cuts, which has driven down their cost. Makes sense, since bacon is just one part of the pig.

We're down to one car for a few days, so I'm staying home this afternoon while DW is off doing errands. I did manage to get to the gym this morning for a workout on the machines and will try for a run tomorrow. I look forward to the day when I can again knock off a 12-miler as easily as Ribs still can.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

So Denise is into palindromes, Carolyn is into prime numbers, Dave is into bacon, and on and on... 

There is a comedian who has a long monologue about bacon.....I have been cheating lately and using the microwave - 3 slices cut in half between paper towels for 3 minutes.  Just enough.

7 miles for me this morning in a windy 59 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Cover art   Pig Tales: New Book Tells The Story of Pork in America

In his important new book, journalist and author Barry Estabrook talks about pig intelligence, Danish farms, antibiotic misuse, and today's meatpacking towns. -

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

C-R

Bacon is good. I will try it in the oven next weekend.

Got a nice 7 today between project calls. Not much else so I will be brief.

Enjoy the day.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy  masters!  Checking in after a long weekend away.  Sounds like some good racing over the weekend!  Congrats to Deez, Jay, and Milktruck on  AG awards!  Mariposai, how was the trail marathon?  Heme - nice 25k race!  I'm sure I missed some others but wanted to say, way to go, masters!

Roch, sad story about the teens in the car accident.  Every  parent's worst nightmare.

And some nice photos of cute kids and racers!

I had an amazing trip to Bryce Canyon National  Park!   There were about 25 ultrarunners on the trip - most of us drove out together from Denver in a caravan, starting at 4:30 am Friday, in the snow.  There was heavy snow over the passes in Colorado, but partially clear weather by the time we got to Utah.  We set up camp in the group campsite, and then it started snowing again.   We had a big pasta dinner around the camp fire, and went to bed early.

Saturday we got up at 4am and hit the trail by a little after 5 am.  Snowing hard.  It was a pretty epic way to start a run!

The whole Trans-Bryce run was about 48 miles, but only 2 badass women ran the whole distance!  I ran with a group of 5 that elected to skip the first 9-mile loop.  The way the route was laid out, it passed only 1/2 mile from our camp at mile 36, and then did the 10-mile fairyland trail loop before returning to camp.  Well, everyone but the 2 badass women bailed when we got that close to camp!  It was a tough run, and everyone was tired.  So I got about 27  miles in on Saturday.

The snow ended by about 9am and had melted by the time we finished the run in late afternoon.   Here are a few trail pictures:

Sunday morning, 9 of us decided to go run the 10 mile fairyland loop, since we'd bailed on running it on Saturday.  It was beautiful!  And probably a lot more fun to do it the next day, instead of tacking 10 miles on to Saturday's run.

It was an amazing weekend and I met a bunch of new friends - I knew about half of the group before the trip.  Fun times!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

wildchild

Carolyn

Wanted to share one more cool picture taken my one of my friends:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Wow.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.