Masters Running

Fri Jan 25 Runs and Workouts (Read 708 times)

No HM for me this weekend. I going to have to pass on it.
    Bummer, Bill -- really! I sure hope that you can run a good one later this year.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Yesterday I overslept, missed my chance for a morning run, and then the day just flew by and I didn't get a run in at all. Grrrr. Interval fiasco today. I accidentally pulled up the wrong workout on my Garmin. On an earlier test I mistakenly programmed in .63 miles (thinking it was equivalent of 1000 meters; I don't know where I picked up that little gem of information), mislabelled it as 5x1000, and forgot to delete it when I realized the mistake. So today I pulled up that workout and after the first interval realized something was wrong. I decided to just keep running by feel and I ended up doing the traditional 1108x5 w/400 recoveries. Roll eyes avg 4:21. Total mileage 8.4 miles. Still a nice day--18F and sunny--and a run that felt good.
      hmmm.... using "MegaConverter" http://www.megaconverter.com/mega2/ 0.63 mi = 1,013.88672 m (call it 1014 m) or 1000m = 0.621371192237334 miles you weren't off by much Roll eyes

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

I mistakenly programmed in .63 miles
        .63 miles = 1 013.88672 meters per http://www.google.com/search?q=.63+miles+in+meters&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS257US257 not too far off, I think. am I missing something? MTA: (oops, didn't read perch's posting before I shot off my mouth) Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Ummm Tramps, If you make the assumption that 1600 meters is a mile (it is close), 1000 meters would be .625 miles. Am I missing something? Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

BTY

You know those personality tests we used to talk about over on CR? I think Tramps is conducting one. Big grin Actuall, I was checking in to thank Breger and everyday for sharing their wisdom in practice, not just theory - it gives runners like me who look up to you, and your commitment to the sport, "permission" to exercise caution instead of stepping over that line, when I KNOW I should be resting. bty
            Tramps

Uh, yeah, I knew that. Blush I'm not even going to try to explain what I just did. Let's just say that .63 = 1108 yards Tongue I really shouldn't deal with numbers before I have some coffee. Bottom line: .63 miles @ avg 4:21 = ~6:54...just about what I was shooting for. With my feeble mind, maybe I should stick to half-mile increments. Roll eyes

Be safe. Be kind.

With my feeble mind, maybe I should stick to half-mile increments.
                Uh, that's about 800 meters, in case anyone was wondering. Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tramps

Uh, that's about 800 meters, in case anyone was wondering. Smile
                  Smart ass.

Be safe. Be kind.

Greetings! Some good runs out there and some sore spots on folks too....sorry about the aches and pains. Do take care! Sorry about the change in plans for you Bill, but you'll come through stronger and will grab that half-marathon PR somewhere soon I am sure. I loved the Spirit of the Marathon movie last night. I went with a group and we cried, laughed and all that. The music was fabulous and my adrenaline was soaring at the end. Deena Kastor....wow. No words can describe. Soundrunner, I don't know if I could handle the movie from last night AND Bono. Thanks for that link yesterday. Wowsa. I haven't run Beach to Beacon because family plans always get in there at that point in the summer, but I want to! I did see Joan Samuelson when I ran in the BC Relays in college. She was doing some coaching for her alma mater and running in the Boston area. The BC outdoor track was (still is?----have no idea now) an odd size since a portion went around the bleachers. It was more than a 400 (perfect for you Tramps). Anyway. I remember that she was right at the far curve and yelling splits to her runners. I was running the 3000 and almost lost my stride and fell onto the track. I am still star struck! My all time favorite running celebrity is Renaldo Nehemiah. I held the foul flag at the National Sports festival in Syracuse as a high schooler and even though his record win in the hurdles was wind aided (I had to raise the flag) he signed my volunteer pass and I have that faded signature to this day on my bulletin board. Okay enough....revealing all of my dweebness in one post is too much. Oh yeah, my purpose here.......coach saw that I was Rhonda the Rollercoaster with my speed work this week, and switched out today's mile repeat workout for a 10 mile pace run----first and last mile really easy and the 8 miles in the middle at 8:00 pace--goal was to hold it steady and keep form. I ran with a friend who has rock solid pacing always.....3F at 8 AM (18F at the finish) sunny, no wind----1:33 for 10.5 miles with avg. pace on goal . She has a Garmin and it said: 8:02, 7:59, 7:59, 8:01, 7:58, 8:01, 8:00, 7:55 Phew....back on solid ground. Happy Friday all....where is Spareribs? CNYrunner
                    TammyinGP

I believe Ribs is a frozen ribsicle in MN. Had a rest day yesterday and will go to the gym during lunch today. My M training schedule has me down for 3, but I'll probably do 4. I'm only in week 3 of the plan but the mileage is less than what I have typically been doing. Tomorrow is 8 or 9 I think and it's looking like a TM run again. Plus I'll do a yoga class beforehand.

Tammy

seemomgo

Bill - sorry about having to miss your race. I too saw the movie last night and loved it. If they would show movies like that in our schools we would have many more motivated kids - turning into motivated adults! 6 miles running today followed by a 3 mile brisk walk with a friend. What a gorgeous day today is. Started my run at 28 degress and by the time I got home it is hitting almost 50!! Colorado weather....it's awesome!
                        evanflein

Ok, you guys... stop giving Tramps a hard time. This is the guy who tabulated all our "Boomer Miles" for so many months... and we didn't question a thing. It's ok, Tramps, I believe you! Sorry to hear about the change in race plans, Byll. But you're a smart runner to recognize when you need to do that. I'm not. I'd run it and kill myself in the process. I never learn. Roch, take care of that hammie. SkipAZ would be a good resource for treating that! Just don't say Hammie too much when Ribs is around. Brings out that tic, ya know. Holly, I had my credit card number stolen last month and in the process of getting the old account closed and the new one started up, I had to give them my card number AND verification info at each stop along the way... Finally got to my fraud expert person, who apparently was the only person who could really talk to me about the case, and she'd say, Now, let me just confirm your information here... and we'd do it all over again! Ugh. Deb, I love my stability ball! I do most of my upper body weight stuff and crunches on it at home. Doing crunches on the floor are nothing compared to doing them on the ball. Holly, you should get one, they're wonderful! I want to get some medicine balls too (the smaller weighted balls). I use them at the gym, but don't own any. At the hotel, I used one of their big ceramic bowls (or vase?) for some of my workout... I'm sure they wouldn't have liked to see that... I am soooo looking forward to running tonight! Usually a rest day, but it's been days since I could really run so I'm swapping things around. Got to bed at 2 a.m. and up at 6 so I'm firin' away on 4 hours' sleep... Good thing my boss is still out of town so I can just mosey around here and catch up. It's snowing... we had freezing rain while I was gone and the roads are a mess. Saw two "almost" accidents this morning on my way in. Yikes!
                            I just read all the posts from yesterday (pshew, Lou, speedy speedy), wow, Cuba, the horse story, the movie....then I read today's and now I have no time to post, hardly! ....which is good, as I'm maintaining and staying on the eliptical, so who needs to know more about that, yecch! roch--I agree with your complaint--I ran into this when I went to doc (had to, to get the PT referral): Nurse, walking me to exam room: So the ankle's giving you a lot of pain? Me: Ah, no, not really. Embarrassed Nurse: Oh, so just when you're moving around on it? Me: Ah, no, not then. Sad Nurse: But it hurts? Me: Ah, not so much, but it's stiff when I stretch it and there are twinges in it that I don't have in the other. No Nurse: Hmpf. Angry [The thing is, I read about Posterior tibialis tightness, and if you ignore it, and it tears, your arch falls and you have an instant flat foot. This seemed worth checking out, medically.} Crap, have I become a hypochondriac? Confused
                            Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #957

Ok, you guys... stop giving Tramps a hard time. This is the guy who tabulated all our "Boomer Miles" for so many months... and we didn't question a thing. !
                              Er..... maybe we should demand a recount.... Re stability ball - those things are pretty big, and I live in a house that is so small... (how small is it?) my house is SO SMALL that if you cussed the cat you'd get fur in your mouth... Okay, okay, I just heard that somewhere, but really, Erika, I have no place to put a stability ball in our tiny house. The good news is that we're putting our house up for sale on March 1st, and maybe we'll get lucky enough to sell it and get a larger house, where, maybe, I'll have room for a stability ball. My dream is that I can finally, for the first time in my life, get a dishwasher. In our house now we have the washer and dryer in the kitchen, using the spot that a dishwasher would otherwise go. Seems strange, but that's how this tract of homes was set up - all the pipes in one central spot.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Aamos, no, you are not a hypochondriac. Just a cautious runner. We all know you're tough! Enjoyed the movie last night, despite a killer headache that came on during dinner (migraine by the time I crawled into bed. Ugh.) Loved the parts about Deena best (and the race finish!) and the aerial shots of Chicago second best. Brought back memories of living there and running the marathon in 2002. Got me thinking, hmmm, maybe this fall again. That one aerial shot where they showed the crowd moving right up to the start line (those who saw it know what I mean, sorry) -- was that a cool few seconds of footage or what? Wow. CNY: now, see, I thought the musical score was generally lame! (zzzzzz) Needed U2. Big grin Wow. Very cool stories from your competitive years. Rest day here and it's another gorgeous, cold, clear day. 20 on tap for tomorrow, just in time for cold rain/snow coming in tonight of course. eta: roch, baby that hamstring now. I hope a few days of pampering is all you need.