Masters Running

40/40 Thread for Week Ending 5/25/08 (Read 437 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you who are new, this is the 40/40 thread, for people who are over 40 years old who run or aspire to run 40 miles/week. We give Free Passes to those who come really close or try really hard... Here's what I have for last week's tally. Let me know if I missed you or got something wrong.
    WhoMilesCommentary
    Franc5984.212-hour-run (51 miles) AND a HM, in the same week!!
    Hermosaboy80.4 Ramping it up is right! And this is the BEGINNING of the training cycle?
    Twocat73.93 Nice to be able to run with DW
    Jim2431562 New 5K PR and 1st in AG – well done!!
    Biketm62 New mileage PR!
    DfromBG54.2 Is BG – Bowling Green?
    CNYrunner52 Hill run with Holly!
    Perch50 HUGE hills in WV!
    Tetsujin4512-hour-run!!!
    PDR43.1 I love your intervals. As soon as I can find the box I packed my Garmin instructions in, I want to program that in and try it.
    Holly42.5 Hill run with Karin!
    Slowgino42.3 Running goal met – how’d the sleep goal go?
    TomD41.2 Delaware Marathon.
    Slojim41.1 HM to finish the week.
    Evenflein41 Enjoying the warmer weather.
    Tallrunner40 Tapering
    BCMorant40 You’re on So Cal, aren’t you? I used to live in Huntington Beach.
    Pfriese39.75K PR and 1st in AG – well done!
    SirWalksalot 27.4 Tapering
    Here's my plan for the week:
    DayPlanActualCommentary
    Monday00 Rest day
    Tuesday8 6.5 Intervals
    Wednesday6 5.05 Easy pace - ran out of time
    Thursday7 9 Hills and 2 miles@tempo (8:13, 8:16)
    Friday00 Weights and abs
    Saturday7 9.25 Easy pace
    Sunday10-12 10.2 Easy Pace
    Total38-42 40

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks again Holly....you are a wonderful person and great runner Smile......no, I am not buttering you up for anything Big grin Mon - 10 Miles tempo - 7:40 pace Tues - 6.5 Easy miles after 34 miles cycling Weds- 9 easy miles that didn't feel to easy....need a break! Thurs - 52 miles cycling with triathlete buds - very hard ride and pace. Friday - Rest Sat - 16 miles - felt great Sun - 7 mile easy run Total - 48.5 running - 86 miles cycling Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I Can Go The Distance

Holly, thanks for all you do to keep this thread going! Monday-Rest day Tuesday- 6 miles w/6x800m Wednesday- 6 miles easy Thursday- 6 miles w/2x2 miles @ tempo pace Friday- 6 miles easy Saturday- LR 10 miles easy pace Sunday- 6 miles recovery pace Total- 40 miles

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

evanflein

Holly, I'll probably need a pass this week. Podiatrist said if I want to run all summer, I need to back off now... Undecided
          Day Plan Actual Comments
          MondayXT day or rest0 MilesEvening soccer game
          Tuesday4 or rest0 milesWalked 1 mile at noon
          Wednesday5 miles6 MilesFoot felt fine to start, iced after, sore next a.m.
          Thursday4 miles6.3 milesVery hilly run, 8:16 avg pace, foot felt fine
          FridayRest Day0 milesyard work and house work...
          Saturday5-6 miles8.5 milesFirst 6 tempo, last 2.5 slow uphill, 8:25 avg pace
          Sunday5-6 miles11 milesWell, that sucked. Now I see I had 5-6 planned. Roll eyes
          Totals:~23-25 Miles31.8 miles actual totalMore than I'd planned, but it still sucks that at the end of the week, my legs feel shot and my foot hurts. Rats. Sad
            Thanks for keeping the thread going, Holly. Plan for this week: make sure I'm fully recovered from last Sat nite - there went that sleep goal - and Sun morning (severe bloating and pain, eventually diarrhea... no food for 36 hrs before Mon run... no excuses... just the facts... ) Mon - 10.5 miles easy (very funny incident at hs track...) Tue - 3 miles easy, 1 mile 120m strides, 1 mile easy Wed - 9.5 miles easier (HR 107) Thur - 11.5 miles easy (felt strong) Fri - 5 miles easier Sat - 11 miles (felt like 11+) (?easy?... just a hard day...) Sun - off Total 52.5 miles ... seem to be recovered ok
              Holly thanks as always for running this thread. I am posting my plan but it is a total crock. Who knows what I will end up doing. On Friday I leave for Dublin on another business trip and will return Thursday. (Jeez, I just got back!) Sad The good news is my DW will be out there with me until Wednesday. I suspect she will want me to run with her Saturday and/or Sunday. But who knows and who knows for what distance. Also, I have 22 miles listed for Friday. We will see. I ran 19 last week so I am hoping 22 is now in range. But if I feel like it is not I plan to bail early. So here is the "schedule":
              DayPlanActualForecastReality
              Monday1515.31
              Tuesday106.116 AM, 4 PM6.11 AM. Started raining. The heck with the PM run!
              Wednesday1212.5412 w/ 7 at HM pace w/ TP.4x1mile intervals at HM pace.
              Thursday5 6.12 Run with some friends.
              Friday22 22.39 TP will be along for at least part of the ride. Actually she came along for the first 20.6 miles. Nice to have company for this one.
              Saturday0 0 Who knows. Arrived in Ireland.
              Sunday6 10.23 Who knows.6 AM w/ DW, 4 PM solo.
              Total70 72.7

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hi Holly....wish I had some Dayton travel this week! Smile Twocat...serious air miles there and running miles. Good deal. Here's my plan---still playing a bit before the ramp up begins 5/19---4 easy---4 easy at MBC 5/20---off or 4 easy if I sleep okay (still traveling)---3 miles/ not much sleep but zippy run 5/21---10 miles with 3 at tempo----11.3 with Iron J, no tempo but pushed the hills 5/22---off/travel 5/23---6 with strides---6.5 with strides 5/24---3-4 easy---3 easy in Delaware Park--Buffalo 5/25---16 including 13.1 race----17. 1 total including 13.1 in 1:35:10---master's PR Total---40-42?----44.9 Karin Where's Tramps?

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Thanks Holly! A balance of work and running this weekbut should do 50 Mon - 4 mi recovery (done.. with Tory, AHR 138) Tues - 7 mi Hills in WV (Tempo effort with HR max at 172 at a crawling pace up along steep hill but avgd 8:23 overall) Wed - rest (done) Thurs - 10.2 mi m-LR (7.2 mi at 8:10 with 5 mi at 7:37) Fri - 5 mi recovery (6 mi at 9:31 AHR 145) Sat- 8 mi with 4 at LT (17.2 mi LR, 8:40 pace with fast finish) Sun - 16 mi m-LR (8.6 mi at 9:40 pace, AHR 141) Total: 50.0

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Taper week but since the marathon will be included I will make it for one last week before deserved rest... M - rest T - 10 including 400's and 1K intervals W - T - 5 F- 5 with middle at MP S - 0 S -26.2 including hopefully a blazing fast time.... T- 46.2

Recent Best times: None recently

Taper, taper, tissue-paper...... M--0 T--4 miles, 3 at MP W-- TH-4 miles, 34:54 F-- S--2 miles, EZ S--26.2 miles, 3:41:51, 36.2 miles Thanks Holly!
                      busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Thanks Holly! With taper I needed a pass last week and this. As it turns out I got a cold/fever Tuesday night and just now feel mostly over it (other than a cough). Hopefully it'll be done by Sunday! M - rest T - sick W - sick T - 4 ez F - 3 or 4 ez S - 2 or 3 ez S - 26.2 long run at PR pace :-)
                        -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                        also on Twitter
                        HermosaBoy

Holly -- thanks for doing this. I can't tell you how often I think of just rolling over in the morning instead of going for my morning run. Then I think about this group and drag my a$$ out of bed. Big grin
                          DayPlanActualCommentary
                          Sunday16.016.0 in 1:53:57 First long run under new paces. Felt pretty good. Working a bit harder than I would like. A little dehydrated from low water intake yesterday. Gotta find a way to avoid the frickin wind! It was really blowing today and that sucks.
                          Monday AM3.253.25 in 27:38 Nice Run with the dog.
                          PM Life3.07 in 22:27 KeeMan needed to get out for his prerace – did this at 10:00 pm -- After his confirmation.
                          Tuesday AM3.250.00 Slept in after the late night run.
                          PM Life0.00 Conference track meet
                          Wednesday AM3.253.25 in 27:38 Nothing special
                          PM120.00 Notified at last minute of band concert for CamScam – no run, but a good concert!
                          Thursday AM3.253.30 in 26:41 Felt pretty good! AHR 120
                          PM8.06.0 in 42:21 Had to cut short due to another last minute band concert. This one for KeeMan.
                          Friday AM3.253.3 in 26:32 AHR 122
                          PM6.08.0 in 56:22 AHR 127 -- Feel pretty good about the HR being below 130 avg!!!
                          Saturday8.08.1 in 55:26 Includes mile 4 @ 5:16 GOAL race pace for 5k on Monday. That’s a pretty aggressive goal! Surprised
                          Total66.2551.0 Not a bad week considering the more important things that arose to limit my miles…

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

pfriese

Holly, thanks once again for the tabulations and comments.
                            DayMilesComment
                            Monday2 miles - done 9:49/mile pace
                            Tuesday5 miles - done9:51/mile pace
                            Wednesday2 miles - done9:43/mile pace
                            Thursday3 miles - done 9:41/mile pace
                            Friday2 miles - done 10:04/mile pace
                            SaturdayMarathon - done 10:03/mile pace
                            Sunday1.1 miles - done9:52/mile pace
                            Total41.3 miles DONE
                            Paul
                              Still reverse tapering for me. Put me in for a free pass this week with 32.2 miles. I might make 40 next week possibly. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

All easy runs on the grass this week; resting for Memorial Day 10k. Mon – 7 miles at 8:30 pace Tue – 9 miles (6 at lunch + 3 more after work ~8:35) Wed – 10 miles at 8:30 Thu – 8 miles at 8:30 Fri – 7 miles at 8:33 with 8 x 20-sec strides Sat – 6 miles at 8:28 Sun – 5 miles at 8:38 Total for week – 52 miles
                                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33