Masters Running

Providence half marathon RR (Read 252 times)

Weather reports all week suggested that Sunday would be great. Yeah, right. DH and I arrived in Providence around noon on Saturday (having detoured through Manchester, CT to pick up bread at the Great Harvest Bread Company - they offered to ship bread to me in the future - yeah!). First stop was City Sports on the edge of Brown University. DH scored a pair of the new Asics Nimbus 10's. I'm waiting until I can try on a women's wide in my size before shelling out the big bucks. We stopped at the runners "expo" (I use that term loosely) at the Johnson and Wales Harborside campus to pick up our packets and T-shirts (nice short-sleeve New Balance tech shirts). The high point of the "expo" was the sample of Willow Tree chicken salad (yummy stuff). The expo consisted of half a dozen tents set up on the lawn. We got a free bottle of water from Pizzeria Uno. Then on to our downtown hotel which happened to be within walking distance of the Cheesecake Factory. We had a late lunch/early dinner (heavenly Dulce de Leche cheesecake......) and then retired to watch the Kentucky Derby. Go Big Brown!! DH was up before the crack of dawn Sunday but I managed to sleep until 6:30 - when the oatmeal was scheduled to arrive. I think all of the runners must have ordered early breakfast as ours didn't arrive until nearly 7:30 - almost too late for me to eat before a 9:00 race start. Notice I said almost - I almost never turn down a meal. Fashion report - black Brooks shorts, black FUG, red Sugoi singlet, aqua Sugoi rain jacket, black Asics waterproof hat, red and white Asics Nimbus VII's, white socks, white wristband, clear sandwich baggie for my Garmin. Remember that "clear and nice" weather report?? It was in the mid-40s and drizzling Sunday morning with 100% chance of rain between 9:00 and 11:00 am. DH and I hoofed it over to the downtown mall around 7:50 to catch the shuttle bus to the start line. There were droves of people waiting for the buses, and not nearly enough buses were running. We made it to the Johnson and Wales campus about 5 minutes before the scheduled start only to find a couple hundred people in line for the 15 porta potties. All of the men streaming from behind bushes and dumpsters should have been a tip off that something wasn't right. People were even lined up at porta potties at an adjacent construction site. DH and I ran further into campus and found the student rec center open - it had nice, warm, line-free toilets. We barely made it back to the starting line where it had started to rain steadily at 9:00. We stood there for 10 more minutes - presumably waiting on some of the delayed buses and/or porat potty lines. By that time, inhibitions were thrown to the wind and both men and women were running to a vacant lot next to the start line to relieve themselves. There were no announcements, no starting gun, no National Anthem, no thanking of the sponors. The race just started on some imperceptible cue and we were off. The course was much hillier than expected. I had intended to go very slowly the first couple of miles and slowly ease into race pace, but the first half mile was up hill, and my heart rate was already cranking close to 170 before the end of the first mile. I tried unsuccessfully to slow down. The aid stations were poorly marked, and I missed the first one. It was only two tables long and on the right, and I was on the left side and passed it before I realized that it was a water station. The second station was already out of cups, but I managed to wrestle a full bottle out of the hands of the lone volunteer at that station. That was my only stop for the entire race. The rain stopped in the first 3 or 4 miles and I was able to put my Garmin back on my wrist - also took off my jacket and tied it around my waist. There were some substantial hills, but my Cape Cod experience helped me resist the temptation to charge them. I just kept it steady up the hills and let loose on the downhills. I thought I was going to finally beat the 2:00 hour mark, but my final time was 2:01:16 - which is still a PR by over 3 minutes. The water was all gone by the time I crossed the finish line, and there were no snacks as best I could tell - fortunately, I had remembered to stick a $20 in my pocket, and there was a 7Eleven close to the finish. How can they run out of water 2 hours into a race - expecially when there is a simultaneous full marathon? I'm hoping they were rationing and still planning to put more water out for the marathoners. Final stats: 666 out of 1386 runners; 12 of 69 in my age group (would have been in the top 10 had they used net time in lieu of gun time - guess I should have lined up in front at the start ;-). This was an inaugural race, and hopefully they learned something and will work out some of the bugs before next year's race.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

King of PhotoShop

Yes, it sounds like the organizers would have gotten a few tips on next year. Nice job on the PR for you despite all that (but a dollar fine for the long portapotty story). Sometimes a drizzly day is great weather to run in, and although it must have been uncomfortable for you before the start, it seems like you got going on track once the non-gun went off. Nice going! Spareribs
        Sue, it sounds like a tough day from both the weather and organization standpoints. Glad to see that at least you got a new PR out of it, and can save that sub-2-hour achievement for a more pleasurable event. It sounds like you're close enough to it that running under better pre-race and hydration conditions would put you over the top. By the way, why did you keep your Garmin out of the rain? They're supposed to actually be immersible, so it seems like a bit of rain wouldn't cause any problems for sure.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Renee the dog

Thanks for the RR! I love Providence and just heard about this event days before. Sounds like it was a dress-rehersal vs. the real deal. Sad You sure made the best of it! Congratulations!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Thanks SR, Doug and nonoruns! Doug - yes, the Garmins are supposed to be moisture proof, but they aren't submersible like the Polars. Mine started taking on water last year during a torrential rainpour on the Kal-Haven trail. My DH "baked" it very carefully in the oven and managed to remove most of the water. I stupidly wore it again during a subsequent lighter rain, and it leaked again. The baking, again, got rid of most of the moisture. I'm trying to avoid having to repeat the baking again - I figure I've just been lucky that it hasn't killed the watch already. nonoruns - Providence is definitely a cool town. I will definitely have to find time to get back over there. SR - put that dollar on my tab - I'm sure it won't be my last faux pas ;-). Actually, waiting at the start was not all that bad. I've never run in a cap with a bill before, so it felt like I was dry - well dry other than my squishy shoes....

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Good job, Sue. In spite of the weather and organization problems with the inaugural race, you still managed a big PR. Congratulations. TomS
                Nice race and thanks for the report Sue. My sister and I were supposed to run this race as we both live about 15 minutes away. She got stuck at Wellesley Univ. in Ct. watching her daughter in her softball tournament, so I stayed away and after your report I'm glad I did. I was quite surprised at the lack of organization as the race director does the CVS 5k every year with 5-6,000 runners and has his act together for that race. Hope they learned from their mistakes! Fran
                Mariposai

I just kept it steady up the hills and let loose on the downhillsSueT48 I like the way you eat them hills. WTG Tongue That was a tough course and circunstances to get a PR, but you did it. No water, no cups, poorly marked, etc. Congratualtions. So...you also enjoy Dulce de leche? Tongue

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

That sounds like such a poorly organized race! Do they have any specific way for runners to give them feedback, or do you just figure they know what they need to improve on? Sounds like you should email the race director, if you haven't already. Hard to believe they were out of water and food at the finish after two hours. I'd be tempted to ask for my entry fee back. Despite the weather and poor race planning, sounds like you ran a good race, and got a PR, too! Congratulations!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I'm entraced by the Garmin stories--you baked it, ok. Now, was the plan to carry it in the plastic bag and look at it, or were you going to wear it and somehow wrap the bag around it? Also imaging you "wresting" the water bottle from the lone volunteer....did you leave said volunteer standing or splayed out on the ground? The main point is, congrats, even if it wasn't under 2 hours--a PR is worth celebrating! grins, A ps: I know, I hate that when they use gun time--the RDs always ask us to line up according to pace, which makes sense and allows for a smoother race start. They ought to then use chip time, otherwise, the people who creep up where they don't belong seem to be rewarded while the folks who follow the rules, like you, are penalized.
                      Masters 2000 miles
                      btb1490

Whoa Sue! I hope you headed right to your favorite ice cream place as a reward for dealing with all that stuff! As Wildchild mentioned, try to get some "constructive" feedback to the RD. First time events are sometimes a crapshoot. But you got a PR out of the deal, and thats something to celebrate! Congrats!

Marathon Maniac #957

Congratulations on the PR! I can't believe they ran out of water and snacks, though, especially if they had a full marathon going on, too - that can be downright dangerous, as well as frustrating. Hopefully the pre-race chicken salad and Cheesecake Factory dinner made up for it. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The Jogger

Sue, I'm not surprised your HR was up at the start, with all that running about, from the late porridge to the porta loo lines. Anyway off you went and didn't even get a drink at the first stop, yet you manage a pr and are well placed. You did great Roy

Manchild

Congrats Sue!! Despite the conditions, you PRed by three minutes, spectacular!! Chris
                                Very impressive to PR on a tough course, with limited support, and poor weather. You should be quite happy with your performance even though that of the RD was way below acceptable.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/